ynef

Apartment 302 in Virtual Reality (Google Cardboard)

Post by ynef on Tue May 10, 2016 7:23 am

Hello community!

I'm new here, but I've been a fan of Silent Hill games ever since I played the first one some 16 years ago.

tl;dr
    Wanted to learn Unity and VR
    Found 3D model of Apartment 302 online
    Turned it into a "game" for Google Cardboard
    You can download it here

Introduction
I decided to learn about Unity and Virtual Reality so I thought why not try to make a VR game about Silent Hill? At first I thought I had to create the room from scratch, but luckily I found the Apartment 302 3D model already extracted and converted by Oo-FiL-oO from Deviantart. Hats off to you!

After spending two days on figuring out the basics of Blender and Unity, I managed to mash together a working VR experience. You can now step inside Apartment 302 for the first time!

In order to import the model into Unity, I had to first recalculate all of the faces and decimate a lot of polygons because the room isn't meant for low end smartphones (it just lagged A LOT). Because I reduced the polygons, you might notice some texture glitches, but I think it worked out pretty good.

Screenshot
More screenshots on my blog: Silent Hill Virtual Reality

It's not the whole apartment
Because the 3D model I worked with didn't include the entire apartment, you can only walk around the living room part of it and you'll notice a big wall in the place where there used to be a hallway that connected Henry's bedroom and the bathroom.

I added Room of Angel as the background music to give the overall atmosphere a nice finishing touch. I hope you like it too.

One more thing. There's an object in the room that isn't from the original game because for some reason it wasn't included in the 3D model and I had to get creative. Good luck finding it!

How to move?
Simply pull the Google Cardboard's magnetic trigger to enter "movement mode" and walk towards wherever you look. To stop walking just pull the trigger again.

Requirements
You should definitely use the official Cardboard Viewer app and pair your headset if you haven't done so already.

I hope it will work on most regular smartphones running Android, but I can only guarantee it will work on a Samsung Galaxy S2 (Android version 4.1.2) which is the phone I tested my game on and also on Sony Xperia Z5 Compact, but only after pairing the headset using the Cardboard Viewer app.

Limitations
It's my first game made in Unity... so you can't interact with anything, but because of the background music, you can sort of think of this as an interactive music video ;)

Feedback
I'm really looking forward for some feedback from you and I mainly want to know if it works on your phone or not. Maybe post your model and android version here?
Last edited by ynef on Tue May 10, 2016 10:25 am.

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Post by Otherworld on Tue May 10, 2016 8:43 am

Looks cool. I will try and check it out.

ynef

Post by ynef on Tue May 10, 2016 10:01 am

Thanks. I just tested it with my friend's Xperia Z5 Compact and sadly the screen is all messed up there and too wide so it results in double vision and impossible gameplay :(

*EDIT*
Fixed it by pairing my Cardboard with the device using the Cardboard Viewer app. Now all works perfectly and because her phone has a higher resolution, it actually looks so much better than on my phone.

Kurosawa

Post by Kurosawa on Fri May 13, 2016 11:30 am

Nice work. I could check this out too when I have the time.

ynef

Post by ynef on Sun May 15, 2016 3:44 pm

Kurosawa wrote:Nice work. I could check this out too when I have the time.

Thanks. Please do and let me know! Just noticed you're from Estonia too :P

ynef

Post by ynef on Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:30 pm

Hey!

Just wanted to let you know that I've updated the game!

I came up with a way which let me improve graphics and performance at the same time so it will look a lot nicer and should lag less on older phones.

Also you can now interact with the couch and the stereo system by the window ;)

I tried to upload the game to Play Store but apparently Google thinks I'm impersonating Konami even though I said in the description that all creative work belongs to Konami not me and that Konami is cool with people using copyrighted material for non commercial purposes. (source)

Return to Silent Hill 4 Modding