Crazy Potato

★Graphic Designer

sh3 - Questions Answered*

Post by Crazy Potato on Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:22 pm

Is model swapping possible?
What textures/other things can be edited as of this date?
Are there better programs for texture extracting? (The one I have makes the hair solid as to transparent)
Is there an .arc viewer/extractor?
Why extract .tga and not .dds?
I ask these questions as I need to do some comparison from Silent Hill pc to Silent Hill HD Xbox 360
Last edited by Crazy Potato on Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:20 am.

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Post by nur_ein_tier on Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:31 pm

There are links to more programs in the General Modding FAQ topic and on my site.

Is model swapping possible?

I don't know how to do it. I haven't seen it done, either.

Are there better programs for texture extracting? (The one I have makes the hair solid as to transparent)

I think you are using the old programs, you should be able to do it easily (transparent hair) with the texture explorer (as long as you keep the alpha channel in your edited tga file).

Is there an .arc viewer/extractor?

The texture explorer lets you view some. There is another at the sh modifications yahoo group, but I haven't been able to get it to work. Otherwise, you can dump textures from a scene using the SH234 level viewer.

Why extract .tga and not .dds?

I don't know.
ImageImageImage

Crazy Potato

★Graphic Designer

Post by Crazy Potato on Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:29 am

Thanks for your reply.
I managed to model swap on the console version (x360) witch was pipe to shotgun so I can beat the monsters instead of shooting them this can be seen in my introduction post. I'm currently swapping Dug with Heather gonna take a picture soon!
On kinda the same subject of swapping I can also swap weapons animations so instead of swinging the pipe or holding in two hands I can switch with the katana which can make it swing faster and hold it with one hand. :)
Interesting I do have the latest versions I guess my problem was the alpha channel.
Oh the reason for that last question is if it was .dds files like the console versions then some might have DX3 to DX5 type textures which helps a bit.

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Post by nur_ein_tier on Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:48 am

Cool. Yeah, I've seen pics of people swapping models in SH4 but haven't seen much from SH3, I don't think.
ImageImageImage

PaulSilentin

Post by PaulSilentin on Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:22 am

nur_ein_tier wrote:Cool. Yeah, I've seen pics of people swapping models in SH4 but haven't seen much from SH3, I don't think.

Swapping things is possible everywhere, on every platform and game version, as long as replacement will be byte to byte or byte plus zeros. If not - game may crash or freeze.

Return to Silent Hill 3 Modding