LisaGarland

SH3 Level ripping

Post by LisaGarland on Thu May 25, 2017 7:45 am

(firstly, I realise there are existing threads about this, but they are SO old I didn't want to bump them)

OK so I recently found an updated version of the SH2/3 Model/Level viewer online and fantastic - it will extract SH2 MAP files (levels meshes) completely fine - all UV textures and in OBJ format ready for use right away in any program.

So I bought SH3 on PC for £30 (a lot for an old game I have on PS2 anyway) and tried to do the same thing..
the viewer is only extracting textures and not the .OBJ model to go with them. Why?

I've spent the past 3 days searching the whole internet, SH Modifications yahoo groups etc for a program or something to use. The closest I get to an answer requires 3DSMax (as usual, most programs seem to be 3DSMax exclusive)
and I don't have access to that as I am not a student.. and I can't afford the licence fee.
I don't think its fair that - yet again - only people with specific access to one program can extract things - while other people using alternate programs (Blender, Maya etc) cannot use the same features.

So the gist of it is this - is there a program, or a method, to extract level files from SH3 using the model viewer as a base.
I heard of a program that dumps text files that can be opened in Milkshape 3D, but cannot find a link anywhere for it :(
"I won't tell a soul. Promise. So please...."

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

SH3 Level ripping

Post by nur_ein_tier on Thu May 25, 2017 12:32 pm

Where did you find the updated Level Viewer?

The only thing I've had any success (and I also had a great deal of failure with it) when it comes to extracting levels from SH2 and SH3 was with 3D Ripper DX: http://www.deep-shadows.com/hax/3DRipperDX.htm

But it skews/distorts things sometimes and then they require editing.

I know in the past it was possible to just search for these things on DeviantArt and people had already ripped a shitton of them, but many were in various weird formats. I know I downloaded a bunch on my old computer from there anyway though.
ImageImageImage

LisaGarland

SH3 Level ripping

Post by LisaGarland on Thu May 25, 2017 2:04 pm

Some guy on DeviantArt gave me the link for it.. (I haven't seen the link anywhere else)
I posted the link to it in the Modding Section.
Here: viewtopic.php?f=3318&t=438021

It can also play animations for the models too which is really awesome - seeing it frame by frame.
Seems more stable too.

SH2 is perfect - lets you rip literally everything.
SH3 however, only rips textures and not level models :(

I downloaded every single SH3 related object from Deviant Art so hopefully I have all I need... but they don't have everything sadly. I can still use the level viewer for SH3 which is good.

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

SH3 Level ripping

Post by nur_ein_tier on Thu May 25, 2017 2:43 pm

Oh hell, I read that and didn't download before. [facepalm] Thanks though!

Here is the model viewer, i think it's the one where you can dump the data. It only reads certain models in SH3.

http://alchemillahospital.net/dl/SH3_Model_Viewer.zip

And here is a list of all versions I'm aware of, some of them have different things they do (dumping, etc).

Here are all the old versions, which I kept on hand because some of them have different functionality.

V1.1
SH3 Model viewer
SH3 Level Viewer
SH2-3viewer
234 viewer 0.9a
234 viewer 0.9b (latest)

I recall dumping a bunch of the character and object models before but not the levels. I tried that with that DX ripper thing and it would weirdly skew a lot of the things. Sometimes they were salvageable, sometimes they'd give you garbage.

I haven't messed with the stuff in a while and just now have reinstalled all the games on my laptop, can't even recall half the stuff I've done. All the people I talked to back in the day were doing things with 3dsmax, like you said. =/

Will have to check it out for SH2 ripping though, that sounds rad.
ImageImageImage

LisaGarland

SH3 Level ripping

Post by LisaGarland on Fri May 26, 2017 6:13 am

Sadly even with SH2 it won't work every time.
Most rooms work fine - but I tried to extract the very start of the game (Observatory Bathroom) and it gave me an error message.. extracted nothing - not even the textures..
Strange..

I tested it on other rooms and worked OK - here's the cleaning staff's area from the Lakeview Hotel..

RocketLombax

Frantically Noncommittal

SH3 Level ripping

Post by RocketLombax on Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:12 pm

So I've been recently trying to figure this extraction business out too. I know I'm a little late to the party, but I figured I'd share my findings in hopes of figuring out some solutions!

I was really hoping to get SH3 level files, but for some reason the SH Initial Loader version of the model viewer doesn't extract the SH3 level models, (only textures) but when switching over to the character and animation scene state with F4, these models can be dumped! Now, they get dumped as .SMD files and I haven't been able to open them directly in Blender with the Source Engine tools, but it's possible to use Noesis to convert the models into a format like .FBX, which Blender can open. Best of all, .FBX preserves the original bones and skinning. I tried this with Heather's A-pose model versions, and it takes a bit of model flipping, reorientation, and removal of the gameplay hands and head, but it comes with all the bones! Even the hair and deformation bones.

I get the feeling the original extracted .SMD files would have the more detailed facial expression morph data as well, but unfortunately I can't seem to open that normally without Source Filmmaker. If they're even able to be opened in their default state at all. If it is possible to make it open though, one would be able to convert animations too!

Now on the flip side, ironically the SH2 mode can extract level models as .Obj files, (to varying levels of success, as already established) but not the character and item models when you press F4. Not even the textures in this case.

Unfortunately, I don't think the options and settings are equally applied to all modes. For example, I had made the camera speed slower in the configuration file, and they were slower as I had set them in SH2 mode, but not in SH3 mode. I think in order to make some kind of model dumping harmony, one would need to crack open the code of the viewer and fix a few settings that we can't work with in the configuration file alone. I'm afraid that is something I don't know how to do, however.

That's all I've got for now. I hope to figure some more out soon myself, but hopefully these few findings can offer some form of direction. If I find anything else out, I'll share that too.

Sparagas

SH3 Level ripping

Post by Sparagas on Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:34 pm

After complety undarstanding and making first Silent Hill model viewers, I think we will go to other Silent Hill games :)
Let's make SILENT HILL just PLAIN SCREAM

Return to Silent Hill 3 Modding