nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Silent Hill 2 Model extractor program

Post by nur_ein_tier on Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:48 am

Didn't have a topic for this, so am creating one.
Silent Hill 2 Model Extractor
By AJA Real Production
Author: AJA
E-mail: A-J-A-1@yandex.ru
Creation date: 19.09.09

==USE THIS SOFTWARE AT YOUR OWN RISK==
==AUTHOR HAS NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR POSSIBLE COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT BY USERS OF THIS SOFTWARE===
==SOFTWARE MAY BE USED FOR INTERNAL PURPOSE ONLY==

1) You must have an installed copy of Silent Hill 2 (or have *.mdl files) on your PC.
2) Run Silent Hill 2 Model Extractor (‘Silent Hill 2 MDL Extractor.exe’).
3) Enter the full path to the model file (*.mdl files), e.g. ‘Ñ:\Program files\Silent hill 2\Data\Chr\red.mdl’. If the file is in the same directory where the software is, enter only the name of the file, e.g. ‘red.mdl’.
4) Press Enter. Software will read the contents of the file (quantity of model parts, polygons, textures and resolution of each texture).
5) Enter the name of an exported file without extension, e.g. ‘red’. The saved file will have an *.obj extension. The Software will also save all the textures as 32-bit BMPs.
6) Press Enter. After you will see the notification ‘Press Enter to exit’, wait about 3 more seconds and then you may exit the software.

Notes:
1) To work with an *.obj format (Wavefront object) you need to have a 3D editor, e.g. 3ds Max.
2) It’s recommended to run the software as administrator in Windows Vista and higher, in case you have problems with saving files.
3) Silent Hill 2 models are usually in these directories: ‘…\Silent hill 2\Data\Chr\….’ or ‘…\Silent hill 2\Data\Chr2\….’

I find it’s easiest to just copy and paste the program into the directory with the files, like the chr/mar folder where the Maria files are found.
That way, you don’t need to put in the full path, just the filename. Here, I had it in the items folder and typed in “piz.mdl,” which is the file name for Eddie’s pizza. Then you hit “enter.” It will spit out some more text, and ask for a save location. This needs the full path plus filename, but not the extension. For example, I could write something like “C:\mdl\piz” here and it will save the *.obj file and the textures as bitmaps in the c:\mdl\ directory.

You can then open and edit the file in programs that can open *.obj files.

Here is Maria.

Here is the program:
http://alchemillahospital.net/dl/sh2_mo ... or_1.5.rar
ImageImageImage

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Post by nur_ein_tier on Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:11 am

ImageImageImage

Control Shiba

Post by Control Shiba on Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:18 am

I tested with nse.mdl - mesh looks fine, however uv coordinates are distorted. Have you managed to get them right?

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Post by nur_ein_tier on Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:09 pm

I haven't really messed around with this program all that much, so no, sorry to say. That, and I was mainly extracting them to use with a 3d printer so I only needed the mesh.

I've had better luck with the textures and things using the dx ripper 3d program, but 90% of the time, it distorts the meshes. You can't win, I guess.
ImageImageImage

Control Shiba

Post by Control Shiba on Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:18 pm

This is bad news! Do you know of other apps that might handle Silent Hill 2 mdl? Milkshape maybe.. Ill check.

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Post by nur_ein_tier on Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:28 pm

Milkshape hasn't worked for me, no. I have not been able to open SH *.mdl files with regular programs at all. The best luck I've had is with dumping models with the model/level viewer programs, but they all have different functionality and I think they may just work for SH3 models.
ImageImageImage

Control Shiba

Post by Control Shiba on Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:40 pm

Maybe I could recreate seams from ripped meshdump and match texture islands on undistorted model. But this a lot of extra work...

Do you have a dump of any SH2 model with proper uv at hand?

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Post by nur_ein_tier on Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:47 pm

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/sil ... tions/info
I think there are several in the "files" section of the link above but you have to join. Angela, Mary, Laura, Eddie, James. I think they're missing Maria there.
ImageImageImage

Control Shiba

Post by Control Shiba on Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:48 pm

Great - thanks!

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Post by nur_ein_tier on Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:53 pm

There must be ways that don't screw everything up though. But I'm still looking for a good sh2 option.
ImageImageImage

Ratiocinator

Partner

Undeniably Nerdy. Exceedingly Cool.

Post by Ratiocinator on Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:25 pm

Amy,

Do you have this particular RPT model saved somewhere you could send me?

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Post by nur_ein_tier on Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:43 pm

I don't have any programs to open them on my computer currently but these are 2 files I have on my computer, not sure of the formats either.
http://www.alchemillahospital.net/dl/pyramid.zip
http://www.alchemillahospital.net/dl/SH ... d_Head.zip
ImageImageImage

Ratiocinator

Partner

Undeniably Nerdy. Exceedingly Cool.

Post by Ratiocinator on Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:50 pm

Yeah as Control Shiba stated using the model extractor program doesn't preserve the UV coordinates so you can't re-skin them. Your "pyramid" file's 3D format is .psk; I'm not sure what can open that. The "SH2_Pyramid_Head" file only has Bogeyman's sword in it but has RPT's texture files and custom made normal/spec maps thrown in. Interesting.

It would have been cool to get RPT in his T-pose with UVs intact!

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Post by nur_ein_tier on Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:02 pm

Yeah, I don't think I have that. The psk is ripped from Downpour, I think, the birthday cake ending. I've never successfully extracted models myself, these are just things I found by googling.

The only reason I extracted things was for the 3d printer, so I didn't need textures for that.

I mean to say, I used that one program before that skews everything, but the only decent results I got with that were mostly inanimate objects, like the roller coaster cart.
ImageImageImage

Return to Silent Hill 2 Modding