iwasaperson

PS2 fog in PC version

Post by iwasaperson on Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:21 pm

I'm trying to get the PS2 fog in the PC version of the game.

So far, I've extracted the fog texture from the PS2 version using Texmod, and the PS2 version looks drastically better.

How can I replace the PC version's textures?

I'm trying to replace it with SH Texture Explorer, but I'm not getting results.

EDIT: Turns out the PS2 fog is 512x512, whereas the PC fog is 256x256. I used bicubic filtering to downscale the PS2 fog and it replaced successfully. Sadly, I'm seeing no difference, even though I've noticed that the PS2 textures look better. It's not just the textures.

Lain

PS2 fog in PC version

Post by Lain on Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:14 am

That's unfortunate. And a little wierd that they'd chop that texture down to 1/4 it's original size... I understand including low res options for people with less capable PCs, but the high res versions should remain for people with a capable rig.

iwasaperson

PS2 fog in PC version

Post by iwasaperson on Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:36 am

Lain wrote:That's unfortunate. And a little wierd that they'd chop that texture down to 1/4 it's original size... I understand including low res options for people with less capable PCs, but the high res versions should remain for people with a capable rig.

I wish KCET worked on the PC version like SH3. Would have turned out to be a much better port.

Voodooman

PS2 fog in PC version

Post by Voodooman on Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:55 pm

iwasaperson wrote:I'm trying to get the PS2 fog in the PC version of the game.

So far, I've extracted the fog texture from the PS2 version using Texmod, and the PS2 version looks drastically better.

How can I replace the PC version's textures?

I'm trying to replace it with SH Texture Explorer, but I'm not getting results.

EDIT: Turns out the PS2 fog is 512x512, whereas the PC fog is 256x256. I used bicubic filtering to downscale the PS2 fog and it replaced successfully. Sadly, I'm seeing no difference, even though I've noticed that the PS2 textures look better. It's not just the textures.

Just registered here to tell that i think i found a way to solve your problem, send me please all the high res textures from PS2 that was donwsampled on PC, i will try my hack for higher than default resolution to see if that works for fog and other textures.

Voodooman

PS2 fog in PC version

Post by Voodooman on Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:20 am

Did it all myself. Turns out that SH3 has same high res fog texture as PS2 version of SH2, with about 5 versions of it with some difference.
My "hack" to use higher resolution textures works like charm, now fog looks almost like PS2 version.

Lain

PS2 fog in PC version

Post by Lain on Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:21 am

Nice, got any comparison screens?

iwasaperson

PS2 fog in PC version

Post by iwasaperson on Sun May 03, 2015 11:29 pm

Voodooman wrote:Did it all myself. Turns out that SH3 has same high res fog texture as PS2 version of SH2, with about 5 versions of it with some difference.
My "hack" to use higher resolution textures works like charm, now fog looks almost like PS2 version.

What hack? I'd love to see what you did.

Return to Silent Hill 2 Modding