Silenthill4life

Member

Posts: 1109

Joined: Jan 04, 2015

Tomm and downpour

Post by Silenthill4life on Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:37 pm

What was Tomm's association with the game?
Was he involved in the technical aspects or the creative aspects or both.

It seems like he came under fire because he was a public figure promoting the game, hence why blame was placed on him because he had a notable involvement and association with the game, but is the anger misdirected or not?

I don't think he's the type of person to let the game down because from the interviews I've seen on him he seemed very enthusiastic and personally passionate about the series. Would it therefore be fair to say the game's shortcomings aren't directly his fault?

I would love it if you guys could clarify this for me.
 
 
 
 
 

Parvatii

Moderator

User avatar

The Red God

Posts: 8658

Joined: Feb 21, 2006

Location: United States

Tomm and downpour

Post by Parvatii on Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:09 am

Image
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)
 
 
 
 
 

Otherworld

Member

User avatar

I'm going to town either way ...

Posts: 6391

Joined: Oct 11, 2013

Location: Canada

Tomm and downpour

Post by Otherworld on Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:31 am

If anyone wants to direct any anger towards anyone, send it Konami's way ......
Image
 
 
 
 
 

Silenthill4life

Member

Posts: 1109

Joined: Jan 04, 2015

Tomm and downpour

Post by Silenthill4life on Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:02 pm

Purramid_Head wrote:Image


Wait so he didn't have any association with this game?
 
 
 
 
 

clips7

Member

User avatar

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Posts: 2296

Joined: Sep 28, 2011

Location: United States

Tomm and downpour

Post by clips7 on Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:48 am

I'm not sure in what capacity that Tomm was involved..maybe as a producer, not sure. I know that early on there was issues with it's saving mechanics. I mean the game would be doing it's automatic saving feature, then if you would turn the game off and fired it back up, the game would have you start waaaay back to some other checkpoint...that was frustrating.

I think in order to avoid that you had save when you was inside buildings, because if you tried to save in the outside or open areas of he game, you'd be screwed. I'm not sure if the patch fixed that (i haven't played the game in awhile) but that saving feature was brutal if you didn't know how to counter it.

Anyway....my main issue with Downpour was it's weak enemy design and behavior patterns of it's enemies and i also had some issues with the pacing elements of some of it's side-stories. I loved Downpour tho...the game had potential and the atmosphere when the monsters wasn't around was stellar...the visuals aren't bad either. Waaaay better than Homecoming and the game played alot smoother than Homecoming as well.

Not sure why Tomm gets the hate for this game tho...i hear folks complain of framerate issues or the game freezing, but i never had any real technical issues with it, outside of what i mentioned here.
Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding....these are the basic fundamentals of life....

If you can't amaze them with brilliance, baffle them with bulls**t...
 
 
 
 
 

Meltdown

Member

User avatar

Posts: 951

Joined: Jun 03, 2008

Tomm and downpour

Post by Meltdown on Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:00 am

The game had some fairly obnoxious faults when it was first released, and it's always popular to go after the higher ups. It was pretty frustrating for a lot of fans because the game itself was very well done. Good graphics, solid gameplay mechanics, etc., but then you had the crappy auto save system and other glitches. It seems like various patches and updates have resolved some of the more frustrating problems though.
Hopscotch chalk is made with lead!
 
 
 
 
 

Silenthill4life

Member

Posts: 1109

Joined: Jan 04, 2015

Tomm and downpour

Post by Silenthill4life on Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:54 pm

clips7 wrote:I'm not sure in what capacity that Tomm was involved..maybe as a producer, not sure. I know that early on there was issues with it's saving mechanics. I mean the game would be doing it's automatic saving feature, then if you would turn the game off and fired it back up, the game would have you start waaaay back to some other checkpoint...that was frustrating.

I think in order to avoid that you had save when you was inside buildings, because if you tried to save in the outside or open areas of he game, you'd be screwed. I'm not sure if the patch fixed that (i haven't played the game in awhile) but that saving feature was brutal if you didn't know how to counter it.

Anyway....my main issue with Downpour was it's weak enemy design and behavior patterns of it's enemies and i also had some issues with the pacing elements of some of it's side-stories. I loved Downpour tho...the game had potential and the atmosphere when the monsters wasn't around was stellar...the visuals aren't bad either. Waaaay better than Homecoming and the game played alot smoother than Homecoming as well.

Not sure why Tomm gets the hate for this game tho...i hear folks complain of framerate issues or the game freezing, but i never had any real technical issues with it, outside of what i mentioned here.


i read on his SH Wiki page he had a producing credit on the game.

Meltdown wrote:The game had some fairly obnoxious faults when it was first released, and it's always popular to go after the higher ups. It was pretty frustrating for a lot of fans because the game itself was very well done. Good graphics, solid gameplay mechanics, etc., but then you had the crappy auto save system and other glitches. It seems like various patches and updates have resolved some of the more frustrating problems though.


I never played the day one release of the game. I only bought a copy months after maybe that's why I experienced minimal issues with the game.

I was honestly very shocked when I read the reviews detailing all the technical problems that allegedly occurred with the game.
 
 
 
 
 

Otherworld

Member

User avatar

I'm going to town either way ...

Posts: 6391

Joined: Oct 11, 2013

Location: Canada

Tomm and downpour

Post by Otherworld on Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:59 pm

I have experienced some pretty bad frame rate issues with this title. It was very frustrating.
Image
 
 
 
 
 

Silenthill4life

Member

Posts: 1109

Joined: Jan 04, 2015

Tomm and downpour

Post by Silenthill4life on Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:13 pm

Otherworld wrote:I have experienced some pretty bad frame rate issues with this title. It was very frustrating.


I believe I only had 2 instances of fps issues. One when I was exploring the apartment with the thief's side quest and another one in the bank. The bank one was the worst for me.
 
 
 
 
 

Meltdown

Member

User avatar

Posts: 951

Joined: Jun 03, 2008

Tomm and downpour

Post by Meltdown on Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:36 pm

Yeah they've definitely fixed a lot of those problems. I'm re-playing it now, and its running fairly smooth. The most obnoxious problem I had during my first play through was the game would freeze after auto saving almost every damn time. That bug was the main reason I never even finished it.
Hopscotch chalk is made with lead!
 
 
 
 
 

Silenthill4life

Member

Posts: 1109

Joined: Jan 04, 2015

Tomm and downpour

Post by Silenthill4life on Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:52 pm

Meltdown wrote:Yeah they've definitely fixed a lot of those problems. I'm re-playing it now, and its running fairly smooth. The most obnoxious problem I had during my first play through was the game would freeze after auto saving almost every damn time. That bug was the main reason I never even finished it.


I think the radbrad had the exact same thing happen to him in one episode of his playthrough.
 
 
 
 
 

Otherworld

Member

User avatar

I'm going to town either way ...

Posts: 6391

Joined: Oct 11, 2013

Location: Canada

Tomm and downpour

Post by Otherworld on Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:50 am

Silenthill4life wrote:
Otherworld wrote:I have experienced some pretty bad frame rate issues with this title. It was very frustrating.


I believe I only had 2 instances of fps issues. One when I was exploring the apartment with the thief's side quest and another one in the bank. The bank one was the worst for me.


The worst for me was in the Monastery. Screamers would get the jump on me because when I turned around to greet them the frame rate could not catch up and they would wail away on me. But I saw problems ( not as bad mind you ) throughout most of the game.

Very frustrating....
Image
 
 
 
 
 

Pieramid_Head

Member

User avatar

The Pie to Rule All the Pyramids

Posts: 82

Joined: Feb 21, 2015

Location: Sweden

Tomm and downpour

Post by Pieramid_Head on Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:34 am

He was a Producer, and I think the reason why he comes under fire so much is because he was such a big part of promoting the game.
There was a PIE here.
It's PYRAMID now.
 
 
 
 
 

Silenthill4life

Member

Posts: 1109

Joined: Jan 04, 2015

Tomm and downpour

Post by Silenthill4life on Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:31 am

Pieramid_Head wrote:He was a Producer, and I think the reason why he comes under fire so much is because he was such a big part of promoting the game.


Yeah I definitely feel like that was the case too
 
 
 


Return to Silent Hill Downpour



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests