DipDop

Doesn't get enough credit?

Post by DipDop on Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:05 am

I've been into this game quite a bit recently.

I really appreciate and love the atmosphere. The story is so heart wrenching and intriguing.

I used to hate it but now I just see all the work and love that went into it. It could have been better sure, but this was Vatras first major game and they did an amazing job.

Murphy is one of my favorite and most relatable characters ever. He has his faults but he is a good man and it is shown.

I dunno, just feel this gamw needs a little more love lol

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Post by Otherworld on Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:22 am

Agreed,

But that love should have originally come from Konami. I mean zero marketing. Actually I wish there was zero marketing when you see this .....

The monster design wasn't the greatest .....
And that fact that some experienced frame rate issues didn't help either....... ( I did even after the patch )

Be that as it may, I really enjoyed Downpour. I thought the story was great and it was a solid installment to the franchise. It was hands down a million times better than RE6. I wanted to play Downpour because I got caught up in the story.

If you are really enjoying Downpour I suggest picking up the comic as well. They are very very good IMO.

clips7

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Post by clips7 on Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:57 am

Well...i have nothing to add since Otherworld basically stated what i was going to say...:). Yeah out of all of the newer SH games, i like Downpour the best...that game had sooo much potential. And it's true konami gave Downpour "0" marketing and there was no buildup to it's release...so if yon want your game to sell you at least have to give it a chance and konami's attemps at marketing was non-existant.

I too share the love for Downpour's strong atmosphere...walking through those abandoned dark buildings was actually creepy when the monsters wasn't around. Oddly enough when the monsters did show up was when the atmosphere tanked a bit. Still Downpour was a solid game and it tried some new things while still holding on to the series roots...and lastly, yeah this game was light years better than the bipolar RE6....:coffee:
Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding....these are the basic fundamentals of life....

If you can't amaze them with brilliance, baffle them with bulls**t...

Alistair

Swooping Is Bad!

Post by Alistair on Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:30 pm

I felt Downpour was of mediocre quality at best. It was just a very poorly executed game. The story was boring and never hooked me. It had extremely flawed weapon/inventory/combat systems, and being very buggy didn't help at all. The monsters were for the most part, poorly designed and boring. I didn't feel threatened or scared by them, just annoyed. The only saving grace was that it did have an excellent atmosphere at certain points. I just didn't feel this game at all, and this is coming from someone who actually supported the game and had high hopes for it pre-release while most were trashing it.
I just couldn't get into it enough to go through it a second time. I might try it again sometime, but I'd much rather skip through it and play the HD Collection instead in my my series playthrough.

clips7 wrote:yeah this game was light years better than the bipolar RE6....:coffee:

As bad as it was at being a balanced game or even survival horror, I think I'd much rather play through RE6 again. At least playing with a friend was fun. ;)

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:20 pm

RE6 was an absolute chore to play. Downpour was not.

Alistair

Swooping Is Bad!

Post by Alistair on Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:44 pm

Otherworld wrote:RE6 was an absolute chore to play. Downpour was not.

It's quite the opposite for me. I enjoyed the entirety of Ada's scenario in RE6, and the other scenarios had pretty decent segments scattered throughout. Overall, I had fun.
Downpour often left me frustrated and annoyed, the sidequests being the biggest offenders. Again, they were VERY poorly implemented and in the end, pointless anyway.
I just couldn't see it as an "above average" game. I felt it was a step back compared to Shattered Memories, which was amazing and could've been expanded upon further. It's my least favorite of the post-4 Silent Hill games.

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:12 pm

In no way am I suggesting that DP knocked it out of the park. And I agree with most of your assessment as far as DP is concerned. But I do think it was an above average game and, for me, I wanted to keep playing it to finish it. I though the story did a good job of capturing my attention.

RE 6 on the other hand, to me, was very difficult to finish. Like eating a terrible meal just to be polite. :lol:

Parvatii

The Red God

Post by Parvatii on Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:40 pm

I dunno, a lot of the dinosaurs like it. I'd think it was one of the more appreciated SH games.
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)

clips7

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Post by clips7 on Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:27 am

Yeah RE6...i cringe everytime i think about that game...the story, the game mechanics, wasn't there a guy that transformed into T-Rex and a giant Fly or some ish? It's been awhile since i played it, but that storyline overall has just gotten ridiculous and has slipped away from the writers a looong time ago.

Ricks and Jake's sections was incredibly annoying...bullets flying everywhere, superfast enemies with shields as defense mechanisms...it just wasn't fun to play for me. I enjoyed RE5 much more. I too agree with Sophia's assessments of Downpour (weak enemy design/questionable side quest designs) but technically it played much smoother than Homecoming and it had amazing atmosphere and it was alot more user friendly than RE6. I think the only section of RE6 i liked was the early sections of Leon's scenario, but even his sections evolved into an action romp.
Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding....these are the basic fundamentals of life....

devil hunter

Ghost

Post by devil hunter on Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:14 am

Downpour is weird, sometimes it's really appreciated and sometimes people act like it's the worst SH game so far.

Fur

Post by Fur on Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:35 am

I would have to agree with Sophia on this. I think it's one of the weakest in the series. Pretty frustrating gameplay, not very engaging plot and characters, it almost felt like it has a beginning & an ending but nothing fascinating is going on in between. In consequence it did feel like a chore and for that reason I never bothered replaying it.
I've been seeing mainly tons of positive feedback and I would say it's actually getting maybe slightly too much credit for what it is.

clips7

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Post by clips7 on Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:57 am

Maybe Downpour will end up being like SH4...folks hated that game (i always loved it) and now folks feel that game is one of the better games in the series. Me personally i've never really warmed up to liking a game and i've tried doing that with SM since everybody pretty much busts a nut over that game, but i just cannot get into that game.

If i don't like a game, i don't see myself liking it after time goes by or if another game comes along that was worst than that game then all of a sudden that game that was the worst game eva is suddenly the best thing in the series.

Just like RE6..that is a game i hated to play through and my stress level just goes up when i think about trying to play through that game again...i'm not the type that's like "well maybe if i try it again i might like it"..:lol:....haha that game that you don't like which is symbolic to Rosie O'donnel will not somehow magically transform into Nikki Minage (say what you want about Nikki but that girl is a dime...LAWD HAMMERCY)... 8-)

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:40 am

^ I share this view, but when I first played HC it just did not seem like a good game. After replaying it I have come to appreciate it a little bit more now.

Needless to say I still enjoyed DP a lot more than HC.

PMS_Akali

Post by PMS_Akali on Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:05 am

I think this game was slightly better than Homecoming, but still pretty terrible. I don't know how they managed to fit so many game-breaking bugs into one game. The monster design was probably the worst out of any game I've ever played, let alone a Silent Hill game. The music was forgettable at best, and annoying at worst. Story was very bland. And the characters outside of Murphy were written horribly. Half the endings completely retcon the story and don't even make any sense.

I think the atmosphere was alright in some places, but they got ruined by the worst Otherworld transition in a Silent Hill game. The chase sequences being the worst offense. You're not even in Silent Hill. They just made a random city and called it that. Half the gameplay ideas don't even work or were just terrible. I was actually excited about the lighter when I first got it. Thought it was gonna be used to draw tension into the game. The slowly opening door mechanic from Shattered Memories came back, and just like that game, serves no purpose. I assume the same "idea guy" on the team made it.

They brought back exploring, which was a nice feature. The idea of side quests was nice. Unfortunately most of them were tedious or useless filler to make the game seem longer.

Personally, I think it doesn't get enough credit because as a Silent Hill game, it pretty much did nothing right. As a horror game, it outright failed. No one likes silly looking monsters and game-breaking glitches.

Also, this is all just my opinion of course.

Parvatii

The Red God

Post by Parvatii on Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:02 pm

Fur wrote:I would have to agree with Sophia on this. I think it's one of the weakest in the series. Pretty frustrating gameplay, not very engaging plot and characters, it almost felt like it has a beginning & an ending but nothing fascinating is going on in between. In consequence it did feel like a chore and for that reason I never bothered replaying it.
I've been seeing mainly tons of positive feedback and I would say it's actually getting maybe slightly too much credit for what it is.

I agree with this. There were parts that I liked and I thought was good. But overall the game suffered. The broken combat was very frustrating.
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)

clips7

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Post by clips7 on Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:39 am

It's true that parts of Downpour involved alot of "nothing" as far as the story was concerned. It seemed like Murph was basically concentrating on leaving SH (which he was) but during certain moments in the story it just seemed like Murph was traveling from point A to point B with Blackwood giving him Cryptic messages.

The story really didn't start to develop until the later half of the game so the pacing hurt it a bit. One thing i thought Downpour did better than Homecoming though was it's combat...it felt more natural and not pattern-based like homecoming. What i didn't like about it was moreso the monsters behavior and attack mannerisms....they punched/kicked/dodged and blocked your attacks. They was just humans dressed up as monsters for Halloween...they never attacked in a vicious manner that you would expect from these hideous looking creatures.

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:25 am

Downpoir had really good pacing...once you arrived in town. Before that, though, was a confusing mix of ideas. And while I do love me some stunningly beautiful Devil's Pit scenery, I still can't deny that that particular level felt like it was attached to the game with gum and paper clips after Konami demanded another level.

Keep in mind though, I do love the level. But I feel it still absolutely flatlines the pacing of the game (much in the same way that I feel like the sewer sections in SH1 kill the pacing of that game too, so even SH1 ain't perfect).

Over time people have started giving Downpour a lot of credit. Like, in youtube videos, over time the comments slowly shifted from "wtf is this garbage f*ck u Konami" to "ya know, it's actually not that bad."

The one thing a lot of people still can't look past, though, is the atrocious enemy design, and I will agree that Downpour's enemies are just awful. Some of the worst designs in a horror game ever.

I feel Downpour is following the same path that SH4 took. Hated at first, but loved over time.
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.

devil hunter

Ghost

Post by devil hunter on Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:29 am

I dunno, for me it seems to be the opposite, it gets more hated over time.

I find it funny how some people complain that Murphy just wants to escape from the town, that is, acting realistically and not just going: I'll just listen to cryptic things strange people say me and I'll go to strange places with no questions asked.

clips7

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Post by clips7 on Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:21 am

devil hunter wrote:I dunno, for me it seems to be the opposite, it gets more hated over time.

I find it funny how some people complain that Murphy just wants to escape from the town, that is, acting realistically and not just going: I'll just listen to cryptic things strange people say me and I'll go to strange places with no questions asked.

I wasn't really complaining about him wanting to leave, it was how there wasn't really much in the way of story development until the later half of the game.

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:10 pm

devil hunter wrote:I dunno, for me it seems to be the opposite, it gets more hated over time.

That's my perception too. People were really high on the game at first when it initially released, but nowadays more people shit-talk it frequently.

Next

Return to Silent Hill Downpour