Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Doesn't get enough credit?

Post by Otherworld on Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:53 am

From what I have read and seen, most had felt that this title was a step in the right direction after Homecoming. It did a lot of things right and it had the potential to be much better than what the final product turned out to be.

And let's be honest, all of the complaints about the game for the most part are completely valid. Take away the technical issues and add better monster design and this game would have had much better scores as far as ratings are concerned across the board.

PMS_Akali

Post by PMS_Akali on Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:49 am

True, I definitely felt this game was going in the right direction. It just completely failed in execution.

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:45 pm

I would say it completely failed in execution, it did many things right and many things wrong .....

Voyager

Post by Voyager on Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:05 pm

Silent Hill: Downpour is in my opinion one of the best horror games of this generation, although it isn't as polished as Dead Space, Alan Wake or Left 4 Dead.

It has technical issues, that I have experienced after the patch, but only the ocasional screen tearing and stuttering.

And it's a slow paced game, with a poignant plot, dealing with heavy issues much like most other entries in the franchise. And it can be little sensical, but all Silent Hill games follow a nightmare-like logic.

It also has the most open and fleshed out Silent Hill town to date, with side-quests.

The combat is effective.

The monsters aren't scary and their design isn't revolutionary, but throughout time the only Silent Hill monsters that stood the test of time, become integrated in the imaginary of horror fans were Pyramid Head and the nurses, no bed like monster or the 4 legged foes. So most enemy design weren't that amazing to begin with, to start knocking down their design here.

And I liked the characters, and their intertwingled stories.

So to me it's the second best Silent Hill game, next to Silent Hill 2. And it is criminally underated, which is a pity.
"What you call ‘faith’ is nothing more than a child crying out for love."

Silenthill4life

Post by Silenthill4life on Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:37 am

Otherworld wrote:I would say it completely failed in execution, it did many things right and many things wrong .....

Agreed.
It was tragic because I feel this game could have had the same profound emotional impact SH2 did for its generation of gamers.

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:14 am

It has some pretty big flaws but, unlike Homecoming, the flaws don't necessarily detract from the overall experience. The flaws are easy to look over because the rest of the game is solid enough.

Whereas the flaws in HC are so fundamentally part of the game it's hard to look past them.

Kind of like trying to look through a brick wall to see another brick wall behind it.
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.

Silenthill4life

Post by Silenthill4life on Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:58 pm

jam6i wrote:It has some pretty big flaws but, unlike Homecoming, the flaws don't necessarily detract from the overall experience. The flaws are easy to look over because the rest of the game is solid enough.

Whereas the flaws in HC are so fundamentally part of the game it's hard to look past them.

Kind of like trying to look through a brick wall to see another brick wall behind it.

HC was my first SH experience so I was ignorant of said flaws. In retrospect they certainly do stand out, especially compared to my experience with downpour. With downpour I only experienced 2 instances of fps issues and that was it, so I was shocked when the reviews came in complaining about the technical side of the game.

But I had a good experience with the HD collection too!

Pieramid_Head

The Pie to Rule All the Pyramids

Post by Pieramid_Head on Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:24 pm

Downpour gets a lot of flak, and even though I'm not a huge fan of it, I did enjoy playing it, and it's a solid game. Technical issues and like others said, literally NO marketing, really held the game down. But as far as not getting enough credit goes, I'd say that title should go to Silent Hill 4, but that's just me.
There was a PIE here.
It's PYRAMID now.

Silenthill4life

Post by Silenthill4life on Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:16 pm

Pieramid_Head wrote:But as far as not getting enough credit goes, I'd say that title should go to Silent Hill 4, but that's just me.

Preach!
I couldn't agree more

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:14 pm

Silenthill4life wrote:
Otherworld wrote:I would say it completely failed in execution, it did many things right and many things wrong .....

Agreed.
It was tragic because I feel this game could have had the same profound emotional impact SH2 did for its generation of gamers.

This could have been true. I always said that DP gave me that "Silent Hill feeling". The story had the right elements in place. It is a diamond in the rough and wasn't fully realized all because of Konami....

DevilsThunder

Just a Silent Hill Fan

Post by DevilsThunder on Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:48 pm

I enjoyed Downpour, only thing that bugged me was that Akira Yamaoka wasn't doing the music, but Daniel Licht did do a great job non the less. The atmosphere was different since it wasn't "fog" but with the heavy rain (which btw is a good game) had a slighter difference with the steam from the rain.

The creatures were a pain lol, I mean first time through when your like "omg what do I do! there's so many." attitude, the fact they were different felt fresh and when I first played this I kept an open mind, even though I know the infamous Pyramid Head wasn't in it, but with some of those enemies it wasn't necessary to have him. It proves that "different people will have a different Silent Hill." As someone once said, but the "Boogie Man" was the gripping hand of fear in this one.

I loved the choices you could make, by being "Good" or "Bad". You got a chance with some situations to play how you would wanna play it out. I played my first time through with mix choices, because I was playing with the thought of me having to walk through this town.

Agent G

Post by Agent G on Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:12 pm

It had problems, but it was a great game. Vatra were really onto something with Downpour, but it suffered from a lot of Konami's same old problems with wanting to rush a game out the door without proper budget, deadlines, or marketing that not only affected the game's development cycle but also its sales.

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:19 pm

Agent G wrote:It had problems, but it was a great game. Vatra were really onto something with Downpour, but it suffered from a lot of Konami's same old problems with wanting to rush a game out the door without proper budget, deadlines, or marketing that not only affected the game's development cycle but also its sales.

Funny, Kojima seems to be a pretty good remedy to the problems you listed above...

Previous

Return to Silent Hill Downpour