Deadalux

didn't like downpour very much

Post by Deadalux on Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:30 am

Mr.Wiggums wrote:I think the survival part has more to do with the fact the game series is still going.

HAHAHA XD

nice
***Keep in mind whats important, even if it doesn't come true, at least you became someone who would fight for what they believe in! Much love to you all, everybody***

DipDop

Post by DipDop on Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:31 am

devil hunter wrote:If SH Downpour is more like a drama doesn't that mean SM and SH2 are the same thing then?

I have no idea why everyone brings up Alice comparison....like....what's similar?

If you can't see the Alice in Wonderland esque style clocktower is similar, then you are lieing to yourself.

devil hunter

Ghost

Post by devil hunter on Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:24 pm

Arkham Origins had a similar clock level. Was that inspired by Alice or were they inspired by Downpour now?

Pale Bishop

+-Fear not the unexplained-+

Post by Pale Bishop on Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:30 pm

devil hunter wrote:I have no idea why everyone brings up Alice comparison....like....what's similar?
Well first, as a certain Yahtzee Croshaw pointed out, Alice has a big clock theme and big areas like dodging those swinging clock hand blades and staying atop spinning clocks is just the kind of thing that happens in that game. Not to mention, the whole "turn a crank and the sideways world spins" mechanic was big in Alice. My first time through Downpour, the first Otherworld section of the game with the turning the world while "Born Free" plays on an old record player made me think of American McGee's Alice right away.
REVEAL SPOILER

Jump to 6:40 (I'm having difficulty making it do so automatically) and you'll see a part with one example. I'll see if I can find a better one. I'm sticking with the first one and not Madness Returns as I know nothing about that game just yet.

devil hunter

Ghost

Post by devil hunter on Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:02 pm

Pale Bishop wrote:Well first, as a certain Yahtzee Croshaw pointed out, Alice has a big clock theme and big areas like dodging those swinging clock hand blades and staying atop spinning clocks is just the kind of thing that happens in that game.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ClockworksArea

Pale Bishop wrote: Not to mention, the whole "turn a crank and the sideways world spins" mechanic was big in Alice. My first time through Downpour, the first Otherworld section of the game with the turning the world while "Born Free" plays on an old record player made me think of American McGee's Alice right away.

Some people got reminded of Bioshock, so what? Unless the devs admit that was indeed a reference/inspiration people are most likely looking for things that are not there.

Btw.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GravityScrew

Pale Bishop wrote:
REVEAL SPOILER

Jump to 6:40 (I'm having difficulty making it do so automatically) and you'll see a part with one example. I'll see if I can find a better one. I'm sticking with the first one and not Madness Returns as I know nothing about that game just yet.

Skip to 0.57:

In fact:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MinecartMadness

Deadalux

Post by Deadalux on Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:02 pm

The sad truth is, we live in a world where there can never be any real originality.
Sorry, hipsters, your philosophy is null and void.
Everything anyone does will always be a copy of something else. Anything we do will always be an imitation and regurgitation of another thing.
Everything has already been done.
All we can do now is add little twists and nuances to make believe that we are originals.
It's like the typewriter story. Sooner or later, even a group of monkeys writing on a typewriter will write Shakespeare.
Haunted mansions, clock towers, aliens, demons, witches, magic, war, knights, soldiers, dolls, romance, comedy, tragedy, myths, legends, the bogeyman, cannibals, murderers, rapists, cults, robots, cyborgs, androids, space travel, giant robots, mech suits, the end of the world, time travel, time jumps, everything has already been given names and established.
No matter what we come up with now, it will always be similar to something else made by someone else.
***Keep in mind whats important, even if it doesn't come true, at least you became someone who would fight for what they believe in! Much love to you all, everybody***

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Post by Otherworld on Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:09 pm

"Imitation is the highest form of flattery", Charles Caleb Colton ....

Deadalux

Post by Deadalux on Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:34 pm

Otherworld wrote:"Imitation is the highest form of flattery", Charles Caleb Colton ....

That's no lie.

Pale Bishop

+-Fear not the unexplained-+

Post by Pale Bishop on Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:56 pm

devil hunter wrote:Some people got reminded of Bioshock, so what? Unless the devs admit that was indeed a reference/inspiration people are most likely looking for things that are not there.
I think what you're hearing is, "man fuck that stupid Downpour it ripped off American McGee's Alice!", which not one person has ever said, at least not in their right mind. It reminded some people of it. Enough people felt that way for it to be worth mentioning. Whether or not you see the connections those people saw is irrelevant, and you certainly don't need to get worked up over it.

I could also make the argument all of those four or so tropes are in Downpour and Alice, not just one or two. If you're going to put up examples of other games having the same things as an argument, you'd have to find a game that has them all, and even then that would be more like proof than a rebuttal. It would be the post of the century if you collected every mine cart race from every game ever and posted them here!

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:24 pm

The problem with that is that people kept mentioning Alice as if the devs definitely made a conscious attempt to 'draw inspiration' from them. So there are clocktowers in Alice and DP...so what? If it reminds a person of something, then okay, but it doesn't mean much. It would be like me saying that Downpour reminds me of Unreal Tournament 3, because they both run on the same engine.

GreyWolf93

Silent Hill Queen

Post by GreyWolf93 on Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:53 pm

devil hunter wrote:If SH Downpour is more like a drama doesn't that mean SM and SH2 are the same thing then?

I have no idea why everyone brings up Alice comparison....like....what's similar?
the otherworld shifts mainly from the devils pit diner it reminds me of alice walking in the tiny door and finding the eat me and drink me.
"Look upon what you have wrought!" - Dahlia Gillespie

DipDop

Post by DipDop on Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:40 pm

Pale Bishop wrote:
devil hunter wrote:Some people got reminded of Bioshock, so what? Unless the devs admit that was indeed a reference/inspiration people are most likely looking for things that are not there.
I think what you're hearing is, "man fuck that stupid Downpour it ripped off American McGee's Alice!", which not one person has ever said, at least not in their right mind. It reminded some people of it. Enough people felt that way for it to be worth mentioning. Whether or not you see the connections those people saw is irrelevant, and you certainly don't need to get worked up over it.!

He does this all the time, don't worry.

NarooN wrote:The problem with that is that people kept mentioning Alice as if the devs definitely made a conscious attempt to 'draw inspiration' from them. So there are clocktowers in Alice and DP...so what? If it reminds a person of something, then okay, but it doesn't mean much. It would be like me saying that Downpour reminds me of Unreal Tournament 3, because they both run on the same engine.

Maybe they did draw inspiration from Alice...so what? We are just saying it reminds us of it, the colors, the clocktower, just feels Alice in Wonderlandesque to me. No one is saying, "the devs are idiots and ripped off Alice, they have no originality because they are western designers." It seems like that's what most people see around here.
Last edited by DipDop on Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:44 pm.

GreyWolf93

Silent Hill Queen

Post by GreyWolf93 on Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:43 pm

Nobody understands my pain in regards to how drastic silent hill has changed, you have to admit, it's gone boring. It's gone from stressing the shit out getting creeped out as hell y the otherworld to oh. ok. meh. come on guys! :x :seal:

DipDop

Post by DipDop on Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:44 pm

GreyWolf93 wrote:Nobody understands my pain in regards to how drastic silent hill has changed, you have to admit, it's gone boring. It's gone from stressing the shit out getting creeped out as hell y the otherworld to oh. ok. meh. come on guys! :x :seal:

The otherworld in Downpour is downright embarrassing, which is a shame, because the towns atmosphere is just oozing out.

GreyWolf93

Silent Hill Queen

Post by GreyWolf93 on Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:42 am

i mean change is ok but they should've just sticked to the otherworld themes from homecoming, at least! the otherworld was too much fun i mean the gigantic slide scene? its way too fun not enough panic until the void starts chasing you, even then it isn't even that stressful.

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:01 am

No one is saying, "the devs are idiots and ripped off Alice, they have no originality because they are western designers." It seems like that's what most people see around here.

And no one implied what you're saying either. I don't know why any time someone speaks positively of the latter games, it always has to slowly segue into a "latter game apologist" deal or something. And technically, Vatra were Czech or Ukranian, I forget which, so they are still Eastern designers, lol.

Nobody understands my pain in regards to how drastic silent hill has changed, you have to admit, it's gone boring. It's gone from stressing the shit out getting creeped out as hell y the otherworld to oh. ok. meh. come on guys!

Well, it's just that, your pain. Not everyone else feels it, nor does everyone else have to "admit" to something that they don't agree with.

GreyWolf93

Silent Hill Queen

Post by GreyWolf93 on Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:12 am

NarooN wrote:
No one is saying, "the devs are idiots and ripped off Alice, they have no originality because they are western designers." It seems like that's what most people see around here.

And no one implied what you're saying either. I don't know why any time someone speaks positively of the latter games, it always has to slowly segue into a "latter game apologist" deal or something. And technically, Vatra were Czech or Ukranian, I forget which, so they are still Eastern designers, lol.

Nobody understands my pain in regards to how drastic silent hill has changed, you have to admit, it's gone boring. It's gone from stressing the shit out getting creeped out as hell y the otherworld to oh. ok. meh. come on guys!

Well, it's just that, your pain. Not everyone else feels it, nor does everyone else have to "admit" to something that they don't agree with.
there seems to be more people in this instance agreeing with the direction silent hill went and how it was a poor choice. :ugeek:

Parvatii

The Red God

Post by Parvatii on Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:46 am

Oh, man! If people are all in agreement that makes my opinion so much more validated! Yes, I prefer going with the crowd and baaaaahing instead of thinking for myself because it makes my brain hurt.

Since shattered memories was unpopular with the popular crowd let me tell you how shitty it was.... it was shitty.
That's it. I can't be bothered to come up with actual justification for disliking it.

^this is how that sounds when people complain usually using Team Silent arguments.
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)

Tomm

Special Guest

Tomm Hulett, WayForward

Post by Tomm on Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:28 am

Downpour is not about Murphy killing Napier.

I doubt Murphy feels much guilt over that. Regret perhaps, but not guilt.

devil hunter

Ghost

Post by devil hunter on Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:32 am

Tomm wrote:Downpour is not about Murphy killing Napier.

I doubt Murphy feels much guilt over that. Regret perhaps, but not guilt.

We might as well as you Tomm. Some people here wonder if American Mcgee's Alice was an inspiration for some levels, some people see similarities, like the clock tower etc. Can you tell us if you were indeed inspired by that?

Pale Bishop wrote: I think what you're hearing is, "man fuck that stupid Downpour it ripped off American McGee's Alice!", which not one person has ever said, at least not in their right mind. It reminded some people of it. Enough people felt that way for it to be worth mentioning. Whether or not you see the connections those people saw is irrelevant, and you certainly don't need to get worked up over it.

Yes, keep putting words into my mouth, so tell me, what do I think now? Am I even more worked up about it? Where did I ever show that I'm worked up about it? You only have your silly baseless assumptions. I was perfectly calm.

Tell me, what am I doing now? Am I trashing my whole room?

Pale Bishop wrote:I could also make the argument all of those four or so tropes are in Downpour and Alice, not just one or two. If you're going to put up examples of other games having the same things as an argument, you'd have to find a game that has them all, and even then that would be more like proof than a rebuttal. It would be the post of the century if you collected every mine cart race from every game ever and posted them here!

But that doesn't mean anything because lots of games have more things like that etc. and not just games.

Like NarooN wrote:

NarooN wrote:The problem with that is that people kept mentioning Alice as if the devs definitely made a conscious attempt to 'draw inspiration' from them. So there are clocktowers in Alice and DP...so what? If it reminds a person of something, then okay, but it doesn't mean much. It would be like me saying that Downpour reminds me of Unreal Tournament 3, because they both run on the same engine.

GreyWolf93 wrote: the otherworld shifts mainly from the devils pit diner it reminds me of alice walking in the tiny door and finding the eat me and drink me.

See what I mean? People are looking for things that are simply not there sometimes. What's similar to Alice here? SM and Homecoming had the same thing.

ComaWhite wrote:He does this all the time, don't worry.

You hypocrite.

ComaWhite wrote:Must be really hard for some of you to enjoy the game if you aren't even frightened once...

Weren't you doing that thing in SH2 thread?

I just love it how some people express their love to some games in the series in such an over the top way sometimes, it feels like they wanna seduce them and sleep with them but if someone says something good about a game they're not really such a fan of then they dunno what they're talking about and they must listen to "more" people who think otherwise, if there's even more people who think that way.

One more thing:

I did enjoy the gameplay however it did not feel like silent hill at all

I think we can say once and for all that there's no such thing as a SH feel. There's one Downpour thread where people say Downpour gave them that SH feel and some people think it doesn't feel like SH. If such a thing as "SH feel" exists, shouldn't all people think certain game has it etc., instead of having such divided opinions?

So yeah, SH feel is a fairy tale.

Oh and some people here are silly sheeps. You might say: hey don't insult others, but hey, I was insulted first :P

You might say: Don't go to their level then. I don't have the patience for that and I'm not in the best of moods.

PreviousNext

Return to Silent Hill Downpour