Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

didn't like downpour very much

Post by Naroon on Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:37 am

there seems to be more people in this instance agreeing with the direction silent hill went and how it was a poor choice.

Ah okay. If more people disagree with me rather than agree, that clearly means I'm wrong. Gotcha! ;D

That's just silly reasoning, really. Opinions are nice, but in the grand scheme, they are worthless in the end. A lot of people here know of my hatred of most of the CoD games, but my hatred (and that which thousands of others share) doesn't change reality -- that the series will continue to sell millions every year and CoD won't end for many more years. All I can do, therefore, is to accept it and move on. Doesn't matter how many people agree about something, that doesn't mean it is any more true than any other opinion.

If DH and I agreed that the sky is sometimes blue, we'd be right, because it's a fact. If we got high off shrooms and agreed that the sky is filled with giant boxes of butter cakes, we'd be full of shit, regardless of whether or not we both agreed that's what was there.

Pale Bishop

+-Fear not the unexplained-+

Post by Pale Bishop on Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:58 am

I can't believe not one but two people went so far as to make references to sheep. Is that what it comes down to for so many of you? You assume everyone that didn't like Downpour didn't really dislike Downpour, but instead just want to be cool and parrot the opinion of others? That's much like the accusation of being blind or wearing rose-coloured glasses in that it completely disincludes the arguer from having to fight. It's dismissal, not argument, and a low insult on top of that. SHC should be better than just assuming anyone who disagrees is just foolish, deluded, stupid, misinformed, an apologist or just trying to be popular. Have some respect.

The opinions of the fans do matter, and negative backlash has had a deep effect on the games industry. Devil May Cry IV to DMC, anyone? How about Onimusha 3? As Tomm demonstrated earlier, game companies don't exist in some vacuum or sit atop Mount Olympus. They're staffed by people, people who read the forums and sometimes post. Origins made a point to thank a certain specific site in their credits. Investors and publishers have people employed who do nothing but gauge support for properties on various web sites. That's a real job.

You know what? If we can at least agree GreyWolf is allowed to have the opinion that Downpour wasn't scary, without qualifiers like proving they played all the games or something, then that would enough for me. I'm OK with people not sharing my opinion if you all are. In fact, there's plenty about Downpour I like, but that's not what this topic is about.

GreyWolf93

Silent Hill Queen

Post by GreyWolf93 on Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:46 am

I don't mind if people like downpour that's cool it's just to me, because i'm so used to the otherworlds.being very manifesting this one to me did not feel manifesting at all and personally the confusing plots and really disturbing scenes and otherworld.is what made silent hill well.. Silent hill i feel as if downpour.deviated so much that it became boring.
"Look upon what you have wrought!" - Dahlia Gillespie

Xuchilbara

The Red God

Post by Xuchilbara on Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:07 am

Pale Bishop wrote:I can't believe not one but two people went so far as to make references to sheep. Is that what it comes down to for so many of you? You assume everyone that didn't like Downpour didn't really dislike Downpour, but instead just want to be cool and parrot the opinion of others? That's much like the accusation of being blind or wearing rose-coloured glasses in that it completely disincludes the arguer from having to fight. It's dismissal, not argument, and a low insult on top of that. SHC should be better than just assuming anyone who disagrees is just foolish, deluded, stupid, misinformed, an apologist or just trying to be popular. Have some respect

Looks like somebody hasn't read my opinions about downpour to know what they were talking about because they would know I haven't said positive stuff only nor understood why Naroon and I replied that way. I don't mind DP, but I wouldn't say it's one of my favorites for a variety of reasons. I had positives and negatives to say about it, and the list of negatives was long. We've has discussions about this on thia very board.

No, the quote by the user is what prompted me and N to say that. He was implying because others agreed it made gis opinion validated and he wasn't solely referencing DP in the quote, but pretty much all non-Team Silent games. THAT is true dismissal and looking at things from a brown lensed glasses. So, basically the reply was implied "I and others feel X way so we are more validated and thus our opinions are more correct than anyone else's".
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)

GreyWolf93

Silent Hill Queen

Post by GreyWolf93 on Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:20 am

I'm actually a girl... This has.gone more awkward than it should've

GreyWolf93

Silent Hill Queen

Post by GreyWolf93 on Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:23 am

NarooN wrote:
there seems to be more people in this instance agreeing with the direction silent hill went and how it was a poor choice.

Ah okay. If more people disagree with me rather than agree, that clearly means I'm wrong. Gotcha! ;D

That's just silly reasoning, really. Opinions are nice, but in the grand scheme, they are worthless in the end. A lot of people here know of my hatred of most of the CoD games, but my hatred (and that which thousands of others share) doesn't change reality -- that the series will continue to sell millions every year and CoD won't end for many more years. All I can do, therefore, is to accept it and move on. Doesn't matter how many people agree about something, that doesn't mean it is any more true than any other opinion.

If DH and I agreed that the sky is sometimes blue, we'd be right, because it's a fact. If we got high off shrooms and agreed that the sky is filled with giant boxes of butter cakes, we'd be full of shit, regardless of whether or not we both agreed that's what was there.

If you think opinions are worthless why are you on SHC? :?:

Xuchilbara

The Red God

Post by Xuchilbara on Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:30 am

Ah my apologies. I didn't know.

GreyWolf93

Silent Hill Queen

Post by GreyWolf93 on Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:53 am

Purramid_Head wrote:Ah my apologies. I didn't know.

It's cool i'm trying to diffuse the tension ;)

Pale Bishop

+-Fear not the unexplained-+

Post by Pale Bishop on Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:24 am

I never said that defending Downpour means that one must love Downpour; that's certainly not what I meant. I agree on one thing, and that's that the popular opinion is not always the right one. That ComaWhite and others agree with GreyFox alone does not make the opinion more "right" and one should never be able to argue such… but... it is an opinion, one that GreyFox has a right to have. I just want to make sure that nobody here feels pressured into having any opinion other than their own.

(congrats on 6565 posts btw Purr!)

GreyWolf93

Silent Hill Queen

Post by GreyWolf93 on Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:28 am

As I said before I don't care if people like it that's cool I just didn't like getting forced into having to find good things about it

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:51 am

GreyWolf93 wrote:If you think opinions are worthless why are you on SHC?

Just because I acknowledge that something is ultimately worthless in the long run, doesn't mean I'm not interested in it. Things in this world don't have any inherent value until someone gives it an arbitrary value.

As I said before I don't care if people like it that's cool I just didn't like getting forced into having to find good things about it

No one here can force you to do anything, nor did anyone attempt to force you to "like" the game. The logic you used in some of your statements was a tad ridiculous, and that was what was being addressed.

GreyWolf93

Silent Hill Queen

Post by GreyWolf93 on Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:32 am

This topic will be closed because someone over here can't handle the fact that I dislike downpour

Xuchilbara

The Red God

Post by Xuchilbara on Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:44 am

Nobody is trying to cause drama with you! But I will close it.

amurderousbeing

Mindlurker

Post by amurderousbeing on Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:36 am

CrazyCatLady wrote:I think the game was fine as is. Not every Silent Hill game needs to be centered around The Order, they're not a main part if Silent Hill. 2 wasn't centered around it and it did just fine.

And no Pyramid Head. His presence in Downpour wouldn't have made any sense whatsoever. The Bogeyman was enough.

I'm afraid your statement about the Order doesn't make sense. The Order is ABSOLUTELY the main part of Silent Hill. They began the ritual that hurt Alessa and made her activate the town's spiritual powers. It's because of them that Silent Hill 2 could happen. WIthout The Order and what they did, the town could never have called James there years later.
Silent Hill 3 was DEFINITELY about The Order, Silent Hill 4 was about The Order, and so was Origins and Homecoming. The only ones that weren't were SM (which was a self-proclaimed re-imagining) and Downpour, which utterly missed the point.
I run home as the air turns black, this day succumbing to dark. Earth will never come back, after descending so far...

Previous

Return to Silent Hill Downpour