GreyWolf93

Silent Hill Queen

Posts: 46

Joined: Mar 16, 2014

didn't like downpour very much

Post by GreyWolf93 on Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:42 am

REVEAL SPOILER
I don't know how I feel about downpour.as such, I did like how Murphy could use anything ]as a weapon but I hated the otherworld shifts and over all environment, the story kinda sucked I mean what's wrong with killing a paedophile? I wish there was more depth into it and it should've collided with the original story line.also monsters and boss was not scary at all! Also I got so angry when I got my demon statue and I lost it straight away when I went to outlook penitentiary.
"Look upon what you have wrought!" - Dahlia Gillespie
 
 
 
 
 

devil hunter

Member

User avatar

Ghost

Posts: 6603

Joined: Sep 28, 2011

didn't like downpour very much

Post by devil hunter on Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:21 am

GreyWolf93 wrote:
REVEAL SPOILER
I mean what's wrong with killing a paedophile?


REVEAL SPOILER
It's against the law, It's not right, no matter how much some people would think otherwise and it only made Murphy's life worse, what he did didn't solve anything.
 
 
 
 
 
 

GreyWolf93

Silent Hill Queen

Posts: 46

Joined: Mar 16, 2014

didn't like downpour very much

Post by GreyWolf93 on Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:30 am

REVEAL SPOILER
I think it was more about the fact that the good cop guy suffering due to murphys revenge. But all in all story wasstale should've brought in pyramid head I was too busy feeling sorry for Murphy more than anything else. The game also has so much glitches that a screamer stretched like an elastic band and launched in the air.
"Look upon what you have wrought!" - Dahlia Gillespie
 
 
 
 
 

devil hunter

Member

User avatar

Ghost

Posts: 6603

Joined: Sep 28, 2011

didn't like downpour very much

Post by devil hunter on Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:42 am

REVEAL SPOILER
It was partially about Frank as well, but big part of Murphy's story was what he did to Napier, it's what caused all those things to happen.
 
 
 
 
 
 

GreyWolf93

Silent Hill Queen

Posts: 46

Joined: Mar 16, 2014

didn't like downpour very much

Post by GreyWolf93 on Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:48 am

REVEAL SPOILER
that's true, I still think they should've made his story darker and i'm getting more of an Arkham asylum feel rather than silent hill, I didn't like it and the side quests were so tedious on the plus side at least he didn't complain about a door being locked he smashed it instead ;)
"Look upon what you have wrought!" - Dahlia Gillespie
 
 
 
 
 

CrazyCatLady

Member

User avatar

Queen of Alien Relations

Posts: 5074

Joined: Sep 05, 2011

Location: United States

didn't like downpour very much

Post by CrazyCatLady on Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:34 am

I think the game was fine as is. Not every Silent Hill game needs to be centered around The Order, they're not a main part if Silent Hill. 2 wasn't centered around it and it did just fine.

And no Pyramid Head. His presence in Downpour wouldn't have made any sense whatsoever. The Bogeyman was enough.
Image
 
 
 
 
 

GreyWolf93

Silent Hill Queen

Posts: 46

Joined: Mar 16, 2014

didn't like downpour very much

Post by GreyWolf93 on Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:41 am

I just mainly disliked the atmosphere it wasn't scary enough
"Look upon what you have wrought!" - Dahlia Gillespie
 
 
 
 
 

Deadalux

Member

User avatar

Posts: 745

Joined: Oct 01, 2011

didn't like downpour very much

Post by Deadalux on Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:14 pm

It would be more productive to talk about what you did like about downpour as opposed to just writing in the negative.
Enlightenment or a change in opinion can not come if all of us just TELL YOU TO LOVE Downpour.
It's something you have to work on and experience for yourself.
Members on this website have changed my opinion on a lot of the silent hill games.
But, if you didn't like downpour then okay that's that. Next topic?
***Keep in mind whats important, even if it doesn't come true, at least you became someone who would fight for what they believe in! Much love to you all, everybody***
 
 
 
 
 

Pale Bishop

Member

User avatar

+-Fear not the unexplained-+

Posts: 118

Joined: Feb 21, 2014

Location: Canada

didn't like downpour very much

Post by Pale Bishop on Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:23 pm

Deadalux wrote:Enlightenment or a change in opinion can not come if all of us just TELL YOU TO LOVE Downpour
Not that some fans won't try

Building a solid critique against something is fine. If you love something you have to be brave enough to come to terms with its' flaws and love it anyway, or if you don't love it you need to be able to say why. If you can put down into words a full argument against Downpour, who would we be to tell you it's not reason enough? This, though, comes off as you just throwing out random insults, if that makes sense. You say you don't like the atmosphere. Why? What would have made it scarier for you? Like, "I didn't like the atmosphere. I felt like it wasn't strong enough. I feel it was sabotaged by the number of characters you meet so I didn't feel lonely and thus scared." or "I feel like it wasn't scary enough because the monsters were too human" or "the world was too well lit" or "Murphy wasn't tormented enough" or… whatever your reason is! You have to explain it or, like Deadalux said, there's no discussion.

REVEAL SPOILER
And what kind of monster would feel no guilt over killing a man, any man, even their son's murderer and a pedophile? Murphy became a murderer too, in doing so. Was that what his son would have wanted? Who knows? Murphy is in a maelstrom of guilt and emotion over the loss of his son, the killing of the perpetrator, and eventually the death of Frank Cunningham because of him (whether he did it or not; the ambiguity over that is the main thing I hated about the game). He has plenty of reasons to fear the law and himself and the Bogeymen in the closet… Napier is just one of many things that lies heavily on Murphy's mind. It's what makes him a character.
 
 
 
 
 
 

GreyWolf93

Silent Hill Queen

Posts: 46

Joined: Mar 16, 2014

didn't like downpour very much

Post by GreyWolf93 on Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:57 pm

I did enjoy the gameplay however it did not feel like silent hill at all and I just wish they would stick to the similar themes of sh2 the otherworld shifts felt more like Alice in Wonderland rather than creepy messed up silent hill.
"Look upon what you have wrought!" - Dahlia Gillespie
 
 
 
 
 

Naroon

Member

User avatar

Pillman's got a gun!

Posts: 5325

Joined: Mar 29, 2011

Location: United States

didn't like downpour very much

Post by Naroon on Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:29 pm

I did enjoy the gameplay however it did not feel like silent hill at all


But what does Silent Hill "feel" like? I don't think there really is a "SH feel", it's just something arbitrary that the individuals who play the game come up with. All of the different games had their own feel. Downpour has the Downpour feel.

I just wish they would stick to the similar themes of sh2 the otherworld shifts felt more like Alice in Wonderland rather than creepy messed up silent hill.


I disagree. SH2 should be left alone -- we don't need anymore games drawing inspiration from it or trying to be like it.
Image
 
 
 
 
 

Maki

Member

User avatar

Posts: 1381

Joined: May 03, 2012

didn't like downpour very much

Post by Maki on Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:48 pm

It felt more like an interactive drama movie than a horror game.
Image
 
 
 
 
 

GreyWolf93

Silent Hill Queen

Posts: 46

Joined: Mar 16, 2014

didn't like downpour very much

Post by GreyWolf93 on Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:51 pm

I'm trying my best to explain, I'll put it simple the otherworld isn't so much manifesting as it is silly like as I said before Alice in Wonderland the only scary part was the prison and monastery
REVEAL SPOILER
and the boss it felt like I was fighting a Stephen Hawking cross between charles xavier thing it was not very scary.
"Look upon what you have wrought!" - Dahlia Gillespie
 
 
 
 
 

GreyWolf93

Silent Hill Queen

Posts: 46

Joined: Mar 16, 2014

didn't like downpour very much

Post by GreyWolf93 on Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:53 pm

Maki wrote:It felt more like an interactive drama movie than a horror game.

That's exactly what I mean the horror elements were nearly non existent
"Look upon what you have wrought!" - Dahlia Gillespie
 
 
 
 
 

Naroon

Member

User avatar

Pillman's got a gun!

Posts: 5325

Joined: Mar 29, 2011

Location: United States

didn't like downpour very much

Post by Naroon on Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:58 am

It varies from person to person. SH1 and SH4 were the only ones I were ever really scared by, and even then, that was when I was a lot younger than I am now. I don't consider horror, or being scared, as crucial elements to the series.
Image
 
 
 
 
 

GreyWolf93

Silent Hill Queen

Posts: 46

Joined: Mar 16, 2014

didn't like downpour very much

Post by GreyWolf93 on Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:09 am

Isn't it a survival horror though? so i would assume horror is one of the key elements of silent hill. :geek:
"Look upon what you have wrought!" - Dahlia Gillespie
 
 
 
 
 

DipDop

Member

User avatar

Posts: 429

Joined: Nov 25, 2013

didn't like downpour very much

Post by DipDop on Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:01 am

Maki wrote:It felt more like an interactive drama movie than a horror game.

Like an episode of Law and Order SVU? :P
 
 
 
 
 
 

Naroon

Member

User avatar

Pillman's got a gun!

Posts: 5325

Joined: Mar 29, 2011

Location: United States

didn't like downpour very much

Post by Naroon on Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:00 am

GreyWolf93 wrote:Isn't it a survival horror though? so i would assume horror is one of the key elements of silent hill. :geek:


That's what most people lump it in as, but SH has always been more along the lines of a psychological thriller, or psychological horror moreso than outright survival horror. Even Resident Evil stopped being actual survival horror as the series expanded.

Even so, just because something is branded as horror, doesn't mean it will scare everyone that watches/plays it. I've ran into a lot of people who said they weren't scared by Amnesia, for example.
Image
 
 
 
 
 

Vestige

Member

User avatar

Posts: 1439

Joined: Nov 19, 2012

didn't like downpour very much

Post by Vestige on Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:01 am

I think the survival part has more to do with the fact the game series is still going.
Image
 
 
 
 
 

devil hunter

Member

User avatar

Ghost

Posts: 6603

Joined: Sep 28, 2011

didn't like downpour very much

Post by devil hunter on Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:10 am

If SH Downpour is more like a drama doesn't that mean SM and SH2 are the same thing then?

I have no idea why everyone brings up Alice comparison....like....what's similar?
 
 
 
 
Next


Return to Silent Hill Downpour



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests