Heather's#1Fan

Also Buffy's #1 Fan

Why do you love or hate Downpour so much? * spoilers *

Post by Heather's#1Fan on Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:40 pm

I used to dislike this game, especially when I first got It. I suppose I was really disappointed, because a lot of people had built it up so much. I heard read things like:

" Best SH title since 2 "

" I honestly like this game as much, or more than 2. "

" blah blah blah Homecoming is the devil, DP Rulezzz. "

I was aware of the not so great monster design ( didn't know it was actually gonna be that terrible though.), technical issues, this and that. So ultimately I ended a little let down by this game. Which is strange, cause I'm one of the few people that enjoys Homecoming.

But recently, I've popped the game into my ps3, and i've been playing it a little bit more. About to leave the Radio Station, via walking across the hands of the giant clock, and dodging blades, and all of that good stuff. I still have complaints about this game.. I wont go into detail unless you guys actually care, and it is more than just " the monsters suck, the monsters suck, they sure are bad."

But yeah, please share your experiences with the game. Love or hate, i'm really interested. Seriously, I am.
" See what happens when you f*** a stranger in the a**?!?! " - Walter Sobchak

devil hunter

Ghost

Post by devil hunter on Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:46 pm

Well the things I like are:

- the atmosphere is really great, lots of details in the environments

- the characters are good (especially Murphy) and they all fit in the story in one way or the other

- some of the side quests (like "turn back time" and the one with the heart)

- some of the monsters, like the Bogeyman for example, I like them because of the symbolism, but I like the Bogeyman because of the design too, fits perfectly with what they tried to do

- the Otherworld because it's mind screwy, though not the fan of chase scenes

- some music

- some puzzles

- the story and symbolism in general

I think that's all, not sure, if I remember more I'll add it
Last edited by devil hunter on Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:55 pm.

gothlolilunatic

Shadow Doll

Post by gothlolilunatic on Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:48 pm

I actually love this game. I never experienced the glitches people talk about, and I quite like the monster design. I understand why the monsters are the way they are, and I find them kinda creepy myself even if nobody else really does. I love the atmosphere the game creates, especially with the exploration. I love Murphy as a character, and his reactions are the most realistic out of any Silent Hill protagonist.

I do like the story, but the strongest point to it in my opinion is that it explores the powers of the town, the interactions of the Otherworld with not just Murphy, and I'm hoping this will be the start of more exploration into the inner workings of the town's power and such.

I don't understand why people say this game is inherently bad. It's fine for people not to like it, but people act like this game was made with no thought or care, which is clearly not true if you bother to look enough at it.
http://inkedblue.tumblr.com/ <---- author blog
http://authonomy.com/writing-community/profile/c324c2b8-9b3e-4dd5-b7f6-6a896fb9e810/gothlolilunatic/ <----- Authonomy profile
I can believe 6 impossible things before breakfast

Princess Kenny

The fairest princess in all the land.

Post by Princess Kenny on Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:49 pm

The things I love about Downpour are the Story, Characters and the Side quests. I just found it really enjoyable. Which is why it my 3rd favorite of the series.

But I can understand why some don't like it. Especially the monsters and I never found it scary althought I do feel it created an atmosphere.
The user formally known as Walter White. Also formally formally known as OneFreeMan.

Heather's#1Fan

Also Buffy's #1 Fan

Post by Heather's#1Fan on Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:51 pm

devil hunter wrote:Well the things i like are:

[spoiler]
- the atmosphere is really great, lots of details in the environments

- the characters are good (especially Murphy) and they all fit in the story in one way or the other

- some of the side quests (like "turn back time" and the one with the heart)

- some of the monsters, like the Bogeyman for example, I like them because of the symbolism, but I like the Bogeyman because of the design too, fits perfectly with what they tried to do

- the Otherworld because it's mind screwy, though not the fan of chase scenes

- some of the music

- some puzzles

- the story and symbolism in general

I think that's all, not sure, if I remember more I'll add it

I do Like Murphy pretty well. And I will admit that the atmosphere is nice, but Its lacking something. Maybe fog? Rain really isn't scary.. but whatever. Some of the side quests might be fun, or interesting. But why would you wanna spend more time in SH?? I'd be trying to get the hell out of there!! lol. The story is fine, I do enjoy it.

devil hunter

Ghost

Post by devil hunter on Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:53 pm

Not quite sure why you wrote "maybe fog?", there's fog in the game.

Well, that's what Murphy tries to do lol, get out of the town :)

Heather's#1Fan

Also Buffy's #1 Fan

Post by Heather's#1Fan on Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:59 pm

devil hunter wrote:Not quite sure why you wrote "maybe fog?", there's fog in the game.

Well, that's what Murphy tries to do lol, get out of the town :)

Theres not fog like there used to be...

And murphy isnt trying to get out of the town, if you're busy giving fishing rods to homeless guys, and letting birds out of cages. The part about side quests was more of a joke anyway.

Also, To reply to a post above.

From what i've read, im in the minority, with actually disliking this game. Most people seem to love it.

devil hunter

Ghost

Post by devil hunter on Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:09 pm

Well, I think fog changes depending on the person, like how there's snow in SH 1. In Downpour there's rain and the fog is kind of blue, it has something to do with Murphy.

Well, you're controlling Murphy and you're the one who decides to complete those sidequests, it's part of the gameplay.
In cutscenes Murpy tries to escape the town and gets angry/frustrated at people because they talk about some weird stuff etc. he has no time for that.

Oohfakanorus

My Star Sign Is MURDER!

User is Online

Post by Oohfakanorus on Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:47 pm

I love the game because if you stripped the Silent Hill from the map, and game title, it would still stand up as a great game. Of course the combat is off (I'll be making a thread about Silent Hill combat in another thread*) but that's because Murphy isn't the killing machine that Nathan Drake or even Leon from the other series is.
If there's anything wrong about the game, it's that the scale of the town is overwhelming. When I first played it, and a friend who's playing it is having the same problem, I was wandering around thinking "Well OK, but what the hell am I supposed to be doing?"
That's it for now. If I think of anything else I'll come back and add to this thread.

*= Not legally binding. You've probably already got a thread saying exactly what I was going to say in the first place.
No results found for oohfakanorus.

captain crowbar

Post by captain crowbar on Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:21 pm

I like the atmosphere most of the time

I like the heavy rain and weather effects in the "overworld"

I like the weapon system

I like some of the music

I like the exploration and easter eggs

I don't like the story, characters, monster design, or otherworld chase sequences. I also don't like the attempt at a morality system that decides the ending, mostly because it's so over-simplified and apparent. I also don't like the Unreal engine because everyone looks like rubber robots.
---

Mr.E.Nygma

The Butcher

Post by Mr.E.Nygma on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:34 pm

captain crowbar wrote:I like the atmosphere most of the time

I like the weapon system

I like some of the music

I don't like the story, characters, monster design, or otherworld chase sequences. I also don't like the attempt at a morality system that decides the ending, mostly because it's so over-simplified and apparent. I also don't like the Unreal engine because everyone looks like rubber robots.

This for the most part.

I'd add

I really like some of the locations and enviroments

I absolutely hate the last level.
Love me some HC

captain crowbar

Post by captain crowbar on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:57 pm

Mr.E.Nygma wrote:
captain crowbar wrote:I like the atmosphere most of the time

I like the weapon system

I like some of the music

This for the most part.

I'd add

I really like some of the locations and enviroments

I absolutely hate the last level.

Also this.

As far as locations and environments go, the Devil's Pit is aesthetically one of my favorite areas in any SH game ever.
---

Wren

^Perpetual Pepper Potts

Post by Wren on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:57 pm

I loved it because of Murphy's reactions and the environments. I feel like I missed a loooooot, though. I didn't really do many of the side quests. I was on pain pills during the days I played it, and I was kinda just roaming around giggling at everything and hoping I could figure out what to do next. XD So I don't know if how I feel about it is accurate at all. I definitely need to play it again when I have the free time.

I guess I was one of the lucky ones. I didn't notice any glitches or lag at all, but everyone else talks like it was as buggy as the HD collection for them.

IF ANYTHING GOES WRONG, DESMOND HUME WILL BE MY CONSTANT

Heather's#1Fan

Also Buffy's #1 Fan

Post by Heather's#1Fan on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:05 pm

The combat certainly frustrates me at times. Mainly because of the lock on feature. A lot of times i'll lock on to one enemy, only for another to come close to me, and throw the whole thing out of whack. This happens a lot with those ghostly doll women things. Other than that, the combat dose feel nice for a SH title.

I would also agree with an above poster, that minus the SH in the title, this wouldn't have been a bad game or whatever, buuuuut thats not the case.

I have a lot of complaints with the breakable weapons though. Seriously, that is a horrible feature. At least, I think it is. I guess it helps cut down on backtracking, because there are always weapons everywhere, so if you did encounter an area where you needed an axe or something, they usually spawn all the time. But i wasn't a fan of the whole, Hacking down barriers in Homecoming either. Anyway, back to DP( DP lolol.) I don't like breakable weapons, because it doesn't make the game more realistic, in fact I think it does the opposite. Have you ever seen a fire axe break, or a crowbar break, because someone slapped it? No, you haven't, and likely never will. I dislike breakable weapons, because it also adds cheap meaningless scares to the game. For instance:

I'm running in the mines, early in the game. I come to area full of Weeping bats. Ya know, the area that also has the dynamite? I kill one Weeping bat, run into the little shed building area, and see theres a hammer laying on the table. I'm tempted to pick it up, cause i'm thinking my Pick axe might break any moment. Well, I get attacked by the bat inside the building, Hit it a few times, block some attacks, then my pick axe breaks. I take off sprinting for the hammer, grab it, and murder the bat. But then I find that you need a pick axe, to tear down the boards, to activate the dynamite. I'm frustrated because i'm sitting there thinking like " wow, a million weeping bats, and my axes break, am i not gonna be able to advance?? " I was fine, cause important weapons will just re spawn when you need them too. How is that scary?!?! I know for a fact that pickaxe laying outside the building wasn't there when I first came in. It just creates the shallow type of fear, where its like... weapons could break at anytime, the tension mounts. But don't worry, there are a million weapons, and you'll never be in a bind... we'll bail you out.

I think weapons shouldn't break, and instead they should've did a SH3 type thing, where it made you think about the type of weapon you had. Like, larger weapons such as: Axes, pick axes, ect. would encumber Murphy more, and be harder to wield, but would have that extra punch, but in smaller areas, maybe be a liability. Versus smaller weapons like: crowbars, hammers knives ect. would be practical and easier to use, but weaker. And maybe with smaller weapons, you might have a harder time blocking.

instead, you use chairs as weapons... and fire exstinguishers, and for some reason beer bottles.

Another issue I have with the combat, is the difficulty. There is none. whatsoever. Unless, I'm having issues with the lock on feature. As a player, you can just hold the block button forever, and you're safe. I think there should have been some timing involved at least. I never understood the complaints about Homecoming, with the action rolling feature. I mean, in SH1 Harry could strafe, and hop backwards to avoid stuff. I think something like that would've bee nice. Instead of just giving the player an auto invincible button. Enemies already aren't scary ( My opinion ) why not just make combat unthreatening as well?

Also the auto save feature is such horrible idea. It like never saves at a good time. It just saves to kill any tension, or surprises that are coming up.

CrazyCatLady

Queen of Alien Relations

Post by CrazyCatLady on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:26 pm

Believe it or not, there was only thick amounts of fog in the first Silent Hill simply because of the graphics. They used the fog as a technique to hide the bad graphics. :lol: So, if the game had been made for the PS2 or PS3, the thick fog probably wouldn't have been there like Downpour. You only see it in the other games because they stuck with the technique and thought it was fitting.

Heather's#1Fan

Also Buffy's #1 Fan

Post by Heather's#1Fan on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:51 pm

Wren wrote:I loved it because of Murphy's reactions and the environments. I feel like I missed a loooooot, though. I didn't really do many of the side quests. I was on pain pills during the days I played it, and I was kinda just roaming around giggling at everything and hoping I could figure out what to do next. XD So I don't know if how I feel about it is accurate at all. I definitely need to play it again when I have the free time.

I guess I was one of the lucky ones. I didn't notice any glitches or lag at all, but everyone else talks like it was as buggy as the HD collection for them.

The technical issues havent been so bad for me. Just some freezes, and slow downs here and there. Frustrating, but nothing game breaking like SH3 on the HD collection. Though I hear the most recent patch really fixed that.

emma

im watching you..i always watching you

Post by emma on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:23 am

i can only say one word about that ...
I love EVERY thing on it!
and that's the way it should be :)!
"rise and shine cupcake"

devil hunter

Ghost

Post by devil hunter on Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:01 am

Heather's#1Fan wrote: I don't like breakable weapons, because it doesn't make the game more realistic, in fact I think it does the opposite.

I don't think they made breakable weapons to make it "more realistic". I think it's made to create a disadvantage to the player, how monsters are much stronger than you.

Heather's#1Fan wrote: Have you ever seen a fire axe break, or a crowbar break, because someone slapped it? No, you haven't, and likely never will.

Well, we're talking about a game where there's a town that's possibly alive and which creates monsters, you shouldn't really apply real world logic here.
As for the fire axe break, that's possible, if the handle is wooden.

Heather's#1Fan wrote:I'm running in the mines, early in the game. I come to area full of Weeping bats. Ya know, the area that also has the dynamite? I kill one Weeping bat, run into the little shed building area, and see theres a hammer laying on the table. I'm tempted to pick it up, cause i'm thinking my Pick axe might break any moment. Well, I get attacked by the bat inside the building, Hit it a few times, block some attacks, then my pick axe breaks. I take off sprinting for the hammer, grab it, and murder the bat. But then I find that you need a pick axe, to tear down the boards, to activate the dynamite. I'm frustrated because i'm sitting there thinking like " wow, a million weeping bats, and my axes break, am i not gonna be able to advance?? " I was fine, cause important weapons will just re spawn when you need them too. How is that scary?!?! I know for a fact that pickaxe laying outside the building wasn't there when I first came in. It just creates the shallow type of fear, where its like... weapons could break at anytime, the tension mounts. But don't worry, there are a million weapons, and you'll never be in a bind... we'll bail you out.

I don't think breakable weapons are meant to be scary. They just made it to put the player in more disadvantage, it makes you think during certain encounters.

Heather's#1Fan wrote:instead, you use chairs as weapons... and fire exstinguishers, and for some reason beer bottles.

Well, that's what they were going for, you can use anything like a weapon to defend yourself. If you were in a situation like that and there was a monster that will attack you, you would grab a chair to defend yourself.

Also, remember, Henry used a bottle too :)

Heather's#1Fan wrote:Another issue I have with the combat, is the difficulty. There is none. whatsoever. Unless, I'm having issues with the lock on feature. As a player, you can just hold the block button forever, and you're safe. I think there should have been some timing involved at least. I never understood the complaints about Homecoming, with the action rolling feature. I mean, in SH1 Harry could strafe, and hop backwards to avoid stuff. I think something like that would've bee nice. Instead of just giving the player an auto invincible button. Enemies already aren't scary ( My opinion ) why not just make combat unthreatening as well?

Hmm. interesting. Some people thought the combat was hard. I guess it's a "love it or hate it" thing, kind of like the game itself. It divides people.

captain crowbar

Post by captain crowbar on Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:49 am

If you had a decent weapon, combat was a breeze. Just swing swing block run away swing swing block run away swing and everything dies. If you have the axe, remove the last block-swing.
---

CrazyCatLady

Queen of Alien Relations

Post by CrazyCatLady on Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:58 pm

But isn't that more strategic than the previous games? (Not including Homecoming). The fact that you had to dodge and had to plan your dodges at just the right time, shows that there's more strategy involved instead of just pressing X (or A) over and over. Not only that, but you had to plan your weapons accordingly as well. A lot of the weapons would break after some time (more realistic) and if you didn't have anything usable nearby, your best bet was to just run. The only times that the characters dodged in the previous games was when you weren't attacking and that was automatic. I like that there was more strategy involved in the combat in Downpour.

You can't just hold the block button forever because one, you have somewhere to be, and two the weapons break eventually. You can't block with your fists. Good luck surviving that one.

Next

Return to Silent Hill Downpour