BBrad

Why do you love or hate Downpour so much? * spoilers *

Post by BBrad on Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:43 am

Unfortunately Downpour didn't sit very well with me. Didn't like Murphy, bland monster design, game freezing/clipping. Can never articulate it very well but it never really felt like an SH game to me, similar to Homecoming or Book of Memories. Otherworld was weak and numerous other complaints that have already been posted by other users.

It wasn't all bad, I enjoyed running around the town, the sidequests were alright and the soundtrack wasn't completely terrible.

Voyager

Post by Voyager on Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:53 pm

I loved this game for what it was, appart from the occasional stuttering and screen tearing. It is a worthy entry to the Silent Hill franchise, and a very good game on its own. To me it is arguably as strong a contender as Silent Hill 2.

It has the largest and most fleshed out Silent Hill town to date, interesting side-quests, a very good plot, heavy on symbolisms, and good gameplay.

Despite the complains of the fans, the gameplay has never been better. And it's a joy to wander and explore Silent Hill, like it never has been before.
"What you call ‘faith’ is nothing more than a child crying out for love."

Silenthill4life

Post by Silenthill4life on Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:33 am

I loved the game for the atmosphere, side quests (which in my opinion exemplified the exploration of the town to a whole new level) and above all, it's superb plot. I can't express how amazing the plot was.

But what I hated most wasn't the technical issues or the combat but the fact that it was rated poorly. This really falls on the developers because it was unforgivable for them to release a game that had widespread technical issues, i.e. fps. They had a brilliant idea and vision and they didn't give it the nurturing or the production it deserved.

What upsets me the most is I feel like this game could have been the one-upper of SH2 because, at its basic, the plots are of a similar nature. All that needed to be done was having respectable combat and functionality.

devil hunter

Ghost

Post by devil hunter on Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:53 am

I think the problem was with Konami and their schedule regarding the game which is why the end result had so much glitches etc. Devs didn't have time to polish it properly.

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Post by Otherworld on Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:58 am

^ Agreed, the day one patch makes that pretty evident.

Silenthill4life

Post by Silenthill4life on Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:43 am

I loved the poignant moment Murphy had with Charlie's ghost after he killed the bogeyman. All Murphy yearned for was to see his son again yet when he finally does he is apathetic, with his re-encounter overshadowed by the recognition that what he did to Napier was futile.

It was sad how when he retrieved the keys and Charlie said it wasn't his fault he was dead, he dared to turn back, hoping to glimpse his son only to have his apparition disappear. To me that symbolised his lingering or fading desire to be with his son, despite having a new start/freedom literally in the palm of his hands.

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:36 pm

So much unrealized potential in this game.

Why do I love or hate Downpour so much?

I love it for it's story ....

And I hate that it wasn't given the proper TLC for it to become what it could have been .........

clips7

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Post by clips7 on Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:35 am

Yeah...this game was the beginnings of the series finally going in the right direction. I hated the enemy design, but atmosphere and a few set-pieces where done amazingly well. The first time i encountered those "stairs" it completely caught me off guard heh heh...that was a nice touch.
Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding....these are the basic fundamentals of life....

If you can't amaze them with brilliance, baffle them with bulls**t...

Silenthill4life

Post by Silenthill4life on Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:42 am

clips7 wrote:Yeah...this game was the beginnings of the series finally going in the right direction. I hated the enemy design, but atmosphere and a few set-pieces where done amazingly well. The first time i encountered those "stairs" it completely caught me off guard heh heh...that was a nice touch.

Are you referring to the infamous flight of steps that seemingly went on forever?
That bit made me what the hell so much I might as well have changed my name to Henry Townshend.

clips7

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Post by clips7 on Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:06 am

Silenthill4life wrote:
clips7 wrote:Yeah...this game was the beginnings of the series finally going in the right direction. I hated the enemy design, but atmosphere and a few set-pieces where done amazingly well. The first time i encountered those "stairs" it completely caught me off guard heh heh...that was a nice touch.

Are you referring to the infamous flight of steps that seemingly went on forever?
That bit made me what the hell so much I might as well have changed my name to Henry Townshend.

Yup.....those were the stairs to nowhere... :D
Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding....these are the basic fundamentals of life....

Rodox_Head

Just here for the chit-chat

Post by Rodox_Head on Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:38 pm

There should be some kind of similar effect in the new game where you try to exit a room but it just leads you right back in. That would be a mindscrew.
"Well I like to know what I'm doing when I do it, and I do what I'm doing 'cause I don't know what to do when I'm not doing it"

devil hunter

Ghost

Post by devil hunter on Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:58 am

HoneyandtheBear wrote:There should be some kind of similar effect in the new game where you try to exit a room but it just leads you right back in. That would be a mindscrew.

That kind of did happen, I think, in the diner.

clips7

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Post by clips7 on Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:07 pm

devil hunter wrote:
HoneyandtheBear wrote:There should be some kind of similar effect in the new game where you try to exit a room but it just leads you right back in. That would be a mindscrew.

That kind of did happen, I think, in the diner.

I think it also happened later on in the game in that hallway with the paintings...I forgot what level it was but if you didn't take the correct path, you would end up at the same spot you started. Downpour really had potential....

DipDop

Post by DipDop on Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:20 am

I personally loved it. The atmosphere of the town is just so....right. The story is great and I love Murphy. It's honestly one of my all time favorite games.

amurderousbeing

Mindlurker

Post by amurderousbeing on Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:21 am

It played nice....but....i didn't really find it scary at all. Plus the puzzles weren't difficult enough. I don't mean i wanted them to be impossible, i just wanted something that i had to think about as opposed to breezing though. I don't know.

I feel like if you're going to be a Silent Hill game, you should at least try to be scary. And overall, the town was so large and uneventful that I got bored and switched to another game. I'm all for atmosphere and immersion, but you can't plop me down in the middle of a town like that and say "go to this place" without having any significance to the things that i pass along the way. That's what made Silent Hill, is that there was always something creepy or strange to look at and explore, regardless of where you were. There wasn't much to offer in that maze of buildings and tools and buildings and tools and piles of rocks and tools and buildings.
I run home as the air turns black, this day succumbing to dark. Earth will never come back, after descending so far...

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:57 am

Running around town, a lot of the time, was very non eventful. And you could just duck into a building an come right back out onto the street to avoid the rain whenever it started.

It needed better creature design and a much better way to have them show up at the right times.

I think it would have been good if it never stopped raining..... If it just because darker and the rain got very very heavy, and the fog should have gotten very thick as well, obstructing your view just a little with drops on the screen or what have you.

Kind of like when you heard the siren in the first game.

It just seemed like DP was too well lit ...

amurderousbeing

Mindlurker

Post by amurderousbeing on Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:15 pm

Otherworld wrote:Kind of like when you heard the siren in the first game.

No matter how many times I hear that siren, my heart drops and my stomach lurches. Silent Hill 1-4 all had moments like this, that would literally make me have to pause the game out of fear. Downpour just lacked this so badly that it was embarrassing.
I run home as the air turns black, this day succumbing to dark. Earth will never come back, after descending so far...

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:35 pm

Making the rain a much more prevalent and aggressive mechanic as far as making things a lot more dangerous and mysterious would have really helped DP out.

That and the fact that creature design and creature A. I. was severely lacking really hurt the game as far as it not being as unnerving as it could have been.

I remember jam6i showing a glitch video of how to make the streets darker and it instantly looked a lot more unnerving.

Edit: Found it ...

Watching this video you instantly get a sense that you other senses get a lot more acute because of the fact that you cannot see as much as you used to .....

clips7

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Post by clips7 on Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:10 pm

^^^Yeah looking at the vid again, I realize that Downpour had a ton of potential and having it's night-time actually implemented as pitch black would have had a much better impact on the game. Also i have always stated that Downpour wasn't a bad looking game.

Vatra's game played a lot smoother and was more visually impressive than Homecoming....I have always stated that Downpour, (while it had issues) was finally a step in the right direction. I would have given Vatra another shot if they didn't close down shortly after Downpour was released.

Royal Fizzbin

living that lie

Post by Royal Fizzbin on Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:08 am

Hey all, a newbie to the forums here. I finally played and beat Downpour (twice) earlier this year.

- About Downpour, I loved the fact that I liked the game.

- About Downpour, I hated the fact that I never loved the game.

I usually end up loving the games that can totally suck me in and manage to make me forget that I’m playing a videogame (Final Fantasy VII, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Ico, Dead Space, Demon’s Souls to name a few), I guess the word is immersion. Downpour never quite achieved that for me. It somehow always found ways to remind me loud and clear that I’m playing a videogame.

I’ve read through the posts in this thread and would say the game was successful in sparking a debate of differing opinions. Some seemed to passionately love it while others passionately disagree. Based on the game I personally agree with many of the already documented criticisms against Downpour found here, so no need to repeat the obvious. That said, I still found it entertaining in its own ways, and I still liked playing it despite the flaws. It was a better than average videogame, worth the price and time.

PreviousNext

Return to Silent Hill Downpour