jam6i

Mouths of the enemies

Post by jam6i on Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:43 am

I think the roles of the enemies are symbolic

--Screamers represent Carol Pendleton. Note how, when standing still, a screamer will to rock their arms like cradling a child.

--Prisoners represent, well duh, prison.

--The Weeping Bats are related to the actual bats from the Devil's Falls and cave areas of the Devil's Pit.

-Dolls....I'm not sure about the dolls.

--Wall Corpses: perhaps....uh...I don't know.

Despite what roles they represent, the designs are still terrible. Aside from the wall corpses and dolls, the rest come off as pretty uninspired and half-baked (especially the prisoners).
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.

devil hunter

Ghost

Mouths of the enemies

Post by devil hunter on Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:09 am

Victim 302 wrote:
freakctc wrote: Last time I remember a creature not from the Central characters mind was the 'Daddy Monster' of Angela's from SH2.

Except ALL of Silent Hill 4.

Homecoming as well.

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Mouths of the enemies

Post by Otherworld on Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:57 pm

jam6i wrote:I think the roles of the enemies are symbolic

--Screamers represent Carol Pendleton. Note how, when standing still, a screamer will to rock their arms like cradling a child.

--Prisoners represent, well duh, prison.

--The Weeping Bats are related to the actual bats from the Devil's Falls and cave areas of the Devil's Pit.

-Dolls....I'm not sure about the dolls.

--Wall Corpses: perhaps....uh...I don't know.

Despite what roles they represent, the designs are still terrible. Aside from the wall corpses and dolls, the rest come off as pretty uninspired and half-baked (especially the prisoners).

Alas, just like the water element in the other thread Jam6i, the enemies in Downpour seem like a causality of running out of time as well.

devil hunter

Ghost

Mouths of the enemies

Post by devil hunter on Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:58 pm

Only if you don't feel like thinking about it and just writing it off as devs not having enough time etc.

CrazyCatLady

Queen of Alien Relations

Mouths of the enemies

Post by CrazyCatLady on Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:07 pm

devil hunter wrote:
Victim 302 wrote:
freakctc wrote: Last time I remember a creature not from the Central characters mind was the 'Daddy Monster' of Angela's from SH2.

Except ALL of Silent Hill 4.

Homecoming as well.

And 1.

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Mouths of the enemies

Post by Otherworld on Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:20 pm

devil hunter wrote:Only if you don't feel like thinking about it and just writing it off as devs not having enough time etc.

I wouldn't say that I am writing anything off. I believe that the dev's made a decent effort while putting together Downpour. Needless to say the execution when it came to the monster's was not very good. That being said I'd like to think that there were a lot of things that hit the cutting room floor so to speak. Monster design being one of those things.

PEACETALKER

Mouths of the enemies

Post by PEACETALKER on Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:45 am

Whose mind did the monsters from Homecoming come from? I know it wasn't Alex's but I actually never gave it much thought.

Also back to the mouths, I honestly don't think they represent anything. They were just made the way the we're to make them more unsettlingly.
From what I recall, had Alessa successfully spread the crest throughout the town, the God would've been obliterated, or warded off. Instead Harry stepped in post-God-birth and murderized the shit out of the God. - NarooN

devil hunter

Ghost

Mouths of the enemies

Post by devil hunter on Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:30 am

The parents of sacrificed children and Alex, not sure if there was someone else.

PEACETALKER

Mouths of the enemies

Post by PEACETALKER on Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:24 pm

Can we talk about the weeping bats? What are everyone's thoughts on the weeping bats?
From what I recall, had Alessa successfully spread the crest throughout the town, the God would've been obliterated, or warded off. Instead Harry stepped in post-God-birth and murderized the shit out of the God. - NarooN

Alistair

Swooping Is Bad!

Mouths of the enemies

Post by Alistair on Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:19 am

BillMurraylives wrote:Can we talk about the weeping bats? What are everyone's thoughts on the weeping bats?

They're annoying. Very, very annoying. Plus they're pretty boring and generic.

CrazyCatLady

Queen of Alien Relations

Mouths of the enemies

Post by CrazyCatLady on Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:41 pm

Now that I think about it, the smiles really are just remnants of what the Prisoners were originally going to be. They were originally going to be creepy clown prisoners with large smiles, just as the ones on the finished version of the Prisoners. They most likely decided to stick with this feature.

Nachtwaechter

There is no reality, only perception.

Mouths of the enemies

Post by Nachtwaechter on Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:49 pm

The fact that they all have gaping mouths might be related to spewing hatred and being accusatory. I mean, a large portion of this game is about (mis)judging others, so it could be related to
REVEAL SPOILER
Carol blaming Murphy for Charlie's murder, Murphy convincing himself that he "never hurt anybody who didn't deserve it", or Cunningham accusing Murphy of being a monster.

Other than that, it might be just a design choice without any significant meaning behind it. Most of the monsters look like ordinary humans, so I guess they all ended up with messed-up faces to compensate for how (sorry) bland the rest of them is.

Pale Bishop

+-Fear not the unexplained-+

Mouths of the enemies

Post by Pale Bishop on Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:06 pm

Nutmeg wrote:And 1.

Not if you consider Alessa the central character. In that case all of the creatures DID represent something from the central character's mind. Same goes for The Room, where the central character is Walter rather than Henry.

And yeah, the monsters look pretty silly in Downpour, especially up close. The point is, though, why are all of their mouths like that? Personally... I don't know. It could be that facial torture is something Murphy fears, or something he was threatened by in prison. Maybe it's part of a wider theme of mutilation, which would tie into the worst ending as well as the slow and awful murders of Officer C and Pat Napier.

Vestige

Mouths of the enemies

Post by Vestige on Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:14 pm

Edit: NVM i got the wrong thread.
Last edited by Vestige on Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:05 pm.

CrazyCatLady

Queen of Alien Relations

Mouths of the enemies

Post by CrazyCatLady on Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:51 pm

Pale Bishop wrote:
Nutmeg wrote:And 1.

Not if you consider Alessa the central character. In that case all of the creatures DID represent something from the central character's mind. Same goes for The Room, where the central character is Walter rather than Henry.

And yeah, the monsters look pretty silly in Downpour, especially up close. The point is, though, why are all of their mouths like that? Personally... I don't know. It could be that facial torture is something Murphy fears, or something he was threatened by in prison. Maybe it's part of a wider theme of mutilation, which would tie into the worst ending as well as the slow and awful murders of Officer C and Pat Napier.

You misunderstood. The point of the posts was saying that the creatures were not of the main protagonist. Harry is the main protagonist because we play him and the story is being told from his perspective. Same for 4. Henry is the main protagonist because the story is from his perspective. We are playing HIS side of the story. Not to mention, we play him. Sure, Alessa and Walter are central to the story, but we're not playing from their perspectives. This isn't their side of the story. Alessa and Walter are not the protagonists by definition of the word

Deadalux

Mouths of the enemies

Post by Deadalux on Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:36 pm

the monsters make more sense to me when i look at them as monsters from angela's nightmarish delusions.
We play as the bad guy, except, we're not bad, we are just misunderstood.
mcHAMMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
***Keep in mind whats important, even if it doesn't come true, at least you became someone who would fight for what they believe in! Much love to you all, everybody***

Silenthill4life

Mouths of the enemies

Post by Silenthill4life on Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:28 pm

This is a cool thread!

I never would have ever given special consideration to the significance of the enemies' mouths.

Misty Day

Remains of the Judgment

Mouths of the enemies

Post by Misty Day on Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:15 am

Maybe you should try looking at this another way. Consider how few (non-animal related) enemies had mouths in the earlier Silent Hill games. That EVERY enemy has a monstrously deformed mouth in Downpour probably IS significant. Toothy mouths were the main threat of the various dog-like monsters and the air screamers. Few others needed mouths. The town had too many secrets and the lack of mouths could have been a symbolic manifestation of that. I can't recall, but I think maybe Helen Grady and SH2's final boss needed mouths to berate our protagonists. Otherwise, not so much. Mouths were under masks (if even present) or lost in grotesquely twisted flesh. Homecoming sprinkled a few here and there, I guess. Ugh, Homecoming. A world of meh.

I think you guys were on the right track before when you mentioned slander and catcalls. Keep going. Maybe the mouths do harken back to the poisonous words, lies, and misinformation that drew Murphy and Anne into this hellhole or that were part of their daily lives in prison.

Anyway, it's WAAAAY more fun to apply meaning to these things, even if it might be only personal, and not the creator's intention. We paid for the game and we can enjoy it however we want.

Silenthill4life

Mouths of the enemies

Post by Silenthill4life on Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:00 am

Maybe it was the facial expression Charlie's corpse had when Murphy viewed his son's body? The fact that such similar mouth designs is repeatedly used amongst the different enemies could be symbolic of how profoundly haunted Murphy was upon seeing his deceased son's face.

...Or maybe Murphy never outgrew his fear of visiting the dentist?

Nachtwaechter

There is no reality, only perception.

Mouths of the enemies

Post by Nachtwaechter on Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:22 pm

Silenthill4life wrote:Maybe it was the facial expression Charlie's corpse had when Murphy viewed his son's body?

Maybe, but I don't think that's very likely considering that the monsters' mouths all look quite different.

The Screamer's facial expression is relatively neutral as she has simply been cut from ear to ear...
REVEAL SPOILER

Half of the Doll's face is gone, which makes it appear as if it was screaming...
REVEAL SPOILER

Same goes for the Weeping Bat...
REVEAL SPOILER

The Prisoner Minions/Juggernauts however appear to be sporting forced smiles.
REVEAL SPOILER

Let's just assume all the monsters do have messed-up mouths for a symbolic reason. In that case, I think they all mean something different.

- The Screamer is humanoid in appearance and resembles a woman. When idle, it will sometimes rock its arms back and forth as if cradling an imaginary child. Its screams are so deafening that they stun Murphy. This is why I believe that this particular monster might represent Carol Pendleton, since accusing her husband of being responsible for the loss of their child is such a hurtful thing to do that the scream-based attacks seem rather appropriate.

- The Doll is most likely a metaphor for revenge. Much like fighting the Shadows, it ultimately doesn't solve anything. Instead, it is necessary to focus on the actual problem (the Doll/Murphy's guilt) in order to progress. Basically, it's the morgue cutscene in monster form. In that case, the distorted mouth most likely represents Murphy trying to justify himself ("I never hurt anybody who didn't deserve it.")

- The Weeping Bat seems to represent isolation. They are associated with dark, confined spaces and often appear or disappear out of nowhere. When idle, they also tend to look over their shoulders, making sure that nobody is approaching them. This is why they most likely represent prison life or solitary confinement. Perhaps their gaping mouths are inspired by abusive guards treating the prisoners like shit.

- The Prisoner Minions/Juggernauts are pretty much just random dudes with forced smiles. Considering that early concept art depicts them as clowns, their main theme seems to be ridicule. Personally, I think that this might apply to both Murphy and Cunningham. First of all, the Prisoner Minions/Juggernauts might be a representation of how Anne sees Murphy, similarly to the Bogeyman. Some of her dialogue ("You think this is funny, don't you?") seems to indicate that she may feel ridiculed by Murphy's presence. However, the Prisoner Minions/Juggernauts might also be Murphy's creations. Maybe he feels as if the justice system has failed him, and both enemies are a representation of Napier since he gets to stay alive in prison in spite of everything he did to Charlie.

PreviousNext

Return to Silent Hill Downpour