Xuchilbara

The Red God

Mouths of the enemies

Post by Xuchilbara on Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:33 am

captain crowbar wrote:So the dev team liked Heath Ledger's portrayal of the Joker?

After all things in this game were almost clowns.

Kakihara in Ichi the Killer had that before the Joker ever did.

WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)

Borg

Ghost

Mouths of the enemies

Post by Borg on Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:36 am

captain crowbar wrote:You can't prove that's not what they were doing it for either, so it's irrelevant.

Dude, I know you really like 4, that doesn't mean that all other games don't have smart symbolism and stuff.

Seriously, I judge them fairly, you're not.

captain crowbar

Mouths of the enemies

Post by captain crowbar on Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:38 am

devil hunter wrote:Seriously, I judge them fairly, you're not.

How the hell can you say that? I defend it plenty where it deserves it. But monster design? Don't be ridiculous. The devs were circle-jerking in that department.
---

Xuchilbara

The Red God

Mouths of the enemies

Post by Xuchilbara on Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:39 am

omg, stop continuing the argument. >.< Seriously, guys. I don't want to have to use the powers of go-I mean mod.

Borg

Ghost

Mouths of the enemies

Post by Borg on Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:39 am

Yes, I agree, the monsters look lame. So that means that there's no symbolism or any intentional stuff about them automatically?

@Purr fine I give up. I just wanted to make a thread where I discuss about this, but they devs were circle jerking in that department so I'm looking for something that isn't there.

You can lock this thread if you want.

captain crowbar

Mouths of the enemies

Post by captain crowbar on Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:41 am

Of course there's symbolism. But the problem is, it's mostly superficial and not very fancy or creative.

I mean, they really overdid the prison theme for one.
---

Xuchilbara

The Red God

Mouths of the enemies

Post by Xuchilbara on Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:45 am

I don't see how it's hard not to ignore each other instead of feeding off each other with insipid idle banter.

Borg

Ghost

Mouths of the enemies

Post by Borg on Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:05 am

Totally unrelated but I like how they made metaphorical prisons. Like how if characters fail to do what they have to do, they end up in a cycle that repeats, which is a prison for them.

One more thing, I like it how when Murphy talks to J.P. for the second time, about the things he's done and J.P. refuses to accept the responsibility.

That whole conversation is ironic, because something similar happens later in the game, when Murphy talks to the nun in the morgue. Nun is now Murphy and Murphy is J.P. The only difference is that Murphy accepts the responsibility and admits his mistakes.

That's why I love Downpour symbolism wise, I doubt those things are unintentional and that I'm just seeing what's not there. It makes sense.

Maki

Mouths of the enemies

Post by Maki on Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:34 am

Man i have to play Downpour again, only played it once so i think i didn't get some stuff. I don't remember what the hell did the nun and her speech had to do with anything.

Challenge accepted, going to play Downpour again despite the ridiculous lags and freezes.

Borg

Ghost

Mouths of the enemies

Post by Borg on Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:47 am

Btw. rollerfan sorry for writing that earlier in the thread.

Maki

Mouths of the enemies

Post by Maki on Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:20 am

devil hunter wrote:Btw. rollerfan sorry for writing that earlier in the thread.

Huh?, sorry for what? :?:

Borg

Ghost

Mouths of the enemies

Post by Borg on Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:22 am

At least someone decided to discuss about the subject instead of writing stuff like "OMG they suck even more up close" or "they didn't had originality" (that lack of originality could be said for TS too).

No offense guys but I wanted to discuss about that because it confuses me, not make another "lets mock Downpour" thread.

This

Maki

Mouths of the enemies

Post by Maki on Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:26 am

devil hunter wrote:
At least someone decided to discuss about the subject instead of writing stuff like "OMG they suck even more up close" or "they didn't had originality" (that lack of originality could be said for TS too).

No offense guys but I wanted to discuss about that because it confuses me, not make another "lets mock Downpour" thread.

This

I may sound retarded but what has that do with anything i posted in this thread, why are you sorry for writing that?
Please excuse my clumsiness hunter but i'm not following.

Borg

Ghost

Mouths of the enemies

Post by Borg on Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:35 am

Never mind I thought you maybe got offended by that, I was a little harsh.

Maki

Mouths of the enemies

Post by Maki on Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:46 am

devil hunter wrote:Never mind I thought you maybe got offended by that, I was a little harsh.

No worries, i didn't mock Downpour i was just giving out an option for the symbolism :lol: .

clips7

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Mouths of the enemies

Post by clips7 on Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:42 am

I don't really see any deep symbolism regarding the mouths either....i just think the dev's were trying to create some creepy monsters for the game and that's it. Just like the nurses in the earlier games (which have become a bit of a staple for the series) always had a reason to be in the games...in regards to Alessa, Heather and James and Even Alex.

The nurses were in those games, but for different reasons...i think the same could be said of the prisoners creatures....meaning that both were created to creep out gamers, but tread very lightly on the symbolism.
Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding....these are the basic fundamentals of life....

If you can't amaze them with brilliance, baffle them with bulls**t...

HalfTransition

Mouths of the enemies

Post by HalfTransition on Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:32 am

devil hunter wrote:Did you noticed that all enemies have mouths that are screwed up somehow? What could that mean?

That they are monsters. :P

I don't see any symbolism, I don't think the devs will start giving symbolism to each body part of a monster. :lol:

Borg

Ghost

Mouths of the enemies

Post by Borg on Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:26 am

Just found it strange that they all seem to have messed up mouths.

It wouldn't be the first time in the series that specific body parts symbolize something though.

freakctc

Mouths of the enemies

Post by freakctc on Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:04 am

Hello,

I came across this forum during a google search, and found myself caught up in the conversation. I see nobody has written in this specific thread for a while, but I'd like to join in on it. I read an article online which gave me a different perception of the events in Downpour. Mainly, that Murphy may not be the central character.
Now, that is a new concept for SH games, but it has a profound effect on how we perceive it. For example, Murphy not being the central character to the story means that most, if not all, of the creatures/monsters we see were not created from Murphy's mind, but other peoples. Now this may explain why it is difficult to figure out the monsters and their origins.
It is entirely possible that the true central character during the events of Downpour is actually Anne Cunningham. And that each of the 'prison' themed monsters are from her. In that event, the messed up mouths could be the result of the guards cat-calling to her constantly while on duty. Their hunched over and highly aggressive postures could be reminiscent of the prisoners getting aroused by her. etc. I'm also inclined to believe that the 'weeping bats' are the product of JP Sater's mind, as a result of the guilt over the trial derailment.
Just figured this may help in the discussion a bit. And I must say, I kind of like the idea of seeing creatures who's origins we're not sure on. Last time I remember a creature not from the Central characters mind was the 'Daddy Monster' of Angela's from SH2.

Victim 302

Mouths of the enemies

Post by Victim 302 on Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:43 pm

freakctc wrote: Last time I remember a creature not from the Central characters mind was the 'Daddy Monster' of Angela's from SH2.

Except ALL of Silent Hill 4.

Anywho, I've thought about this long and hard, and I honestly think that the mouth design of the monsters is not necessarily symbolic in any way, but more a way of generating a subconscious reaction to them. Making them scary.
One of the most common nightmares people have, are TEETH. (Usually falling out)
It stems from anxiety, it's something we as a collective unconscious are afraid of.

Also, I want to point out that most of them (I say most, because the Screamer is the only exception) don't have eyes. There creates a total disconnect of humanity and soul.
This tactic, coupled with so much attention drawn to mouths spawned from our literal nightmares, make monsters.
How we indulge in our madness, when we're alone

PreviousNext

Return to Silent Hill Downpour