Give or get help if you're stuck on a section of one of the games.
Forum rules
Remember to make your thread titles as clear as possible and put the game title in the subject of your help thread when posting!
Examples: "SH2 Cockroach Room" or "SH4 Walter Boss"

TomRL

Buying Recommendations +My Experiences with the games so far

Post by TomRL on Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:39 am

I've been meaning to get into Silent Hill for a long time now. It's probably the most interesting concept for a horror game. Then PT happened and blew my mind. PT was the scariest thing I've ever watched/played. So now I'm definitely in. What are the Silent Hill's worth playing and the ones I should avoid? I'm assuming SH1 and 2 are a solid yes.
Last edited by TomRL on Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:56 pm.

Borg

Ghost

Post by Borg on Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:50 am

Honestly, play all of the games from the main series, yes even the ones some people dislike, who knows, maybe you'll like them.

TomRL

Post by TomRL on Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:21 am

Also I'm assuming I should get the original versions instead of the hd remake. They have a pretty bad reputation.

Oohfakanorus

My Star Sign Is MURDER!

Post by Oohfakanorus on Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:57 am

You should be able to pick up some games for the PS2. I love Origins as much as 2 and 3. But do it soon! I imagine "P.T." has made the prices of used games shoot up.
No results found for oohfakanorus.

Borg

Ghost

Post by Borg on Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:59 am

TomRL wrote:Also I'm assuming I should get the original versions instead of the hd remake. They have a pretty bad reputation.

Pretty much, yeah.

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Post by Otherworld on Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:46 am

devil hunter wrote:Honestly, play all of the games from the main series, yes even the ones some people dislike, who knows, maybe you'll like them.

^ Agreed, play them all and play them in order of you can.

Alistair

Swooping Is Bad!

Post by Alistair on Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:56 pm

As others said, it will be best to play them in proper order! They are all great!

TomRL

Post by TomRL on Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:06 pm

Otherworld wrote:
devil hunter wrote:Honestly, play all of the games from the main series, yes even the ones some people dislike, who knows, maybe you'll like them.

Sophia wrote:As others said, it will be best to play them in proper order! They are all great!

No offense, but when someone says this in a Silent Hill forum, I'm a little skeptical :lol:

I just purchased Silent Hill 1. It isn't scary at all, but I'm having quite a bit of fun.

Alistair

Swooping Is Bad!

Post by Alistair on Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:00 pm

TomRL wrote:
Otherworld wrote:

Sophia wrote:As others said, it will be best to play them in proper order! They are all great!

No offense, but when someone says this in a Silent Hill forum, I'm a little skeptical :lol:

I just purchased Silent Hill 1. It isn't scary at all, but I'm having quite a bit of fun.

My love belongs to the classic Resident Evil games. I'd be biased recommending those. ;)
Honestly, the games are great!
Kind of surprised you aren't scared though! :lol:

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Post by nur_ein_tier on Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:23 pm

Also I'm assuming I should get the original versions instead of the hd remake. They have a pretty bad reputation.

Depends on what you want to play them on. These days I prefer playing SH3 on PC. With the patches, the HD collection works well enough if you can't find other versions, but it is inferior in some ways, yes. But I'm sure it's the easiest to find. I have been playing SHHD a bit lately just because it's sitting there on my entertainment center, even though I own all available US versions of those games.

The ones I replay the most are probably SH2, SH3, and SH1. I'd consider most of the series to be more along the lines of "disturbing" then "scary," though. I've never found the series scary, and haven't played the PT yet (I ordered a ps4 and FedEx is scheduled to deliver it tomorrow though).
ImageImageImage

TomRL

Post by TomRL on Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:40 pm

Got the alternative school. The scary version. But it's 2 in the morning and I have to stop or I'll die. I saved all the way back at the infirmary. So I'll have to go through that maze of a school again? I can't devote 4 hours to this game without saving. It's just not possible for me to have stints that long.

Leonard Wolf

Just another resident of Silent Hill

Post by Leonard Wolf on Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:14 pm

If you want my advice, the first three games are great and awesome, they are more than recommended, but the fourth game... well, it's not such a baaaaaad game, but it's very different from the first three, so you might you might get disappointed with it, and the three first games are definitely better.
Origins is pretty hard and I'm not very fond of it too, so if you're a beginner in Silent Hill Games I do not recommend that you start by playing it.
Shattered Memories is the worst of all and I can't tell you about Homecoming and Downpour, because I didn't play them yet.
So, that's it, I made this recommendation to you based upon my personal tastes, but you'll only know which game is good or bad when you play them yourself, since taste is something very personal, after you play all the games your opinion about them might be different from mine.

CrazyCatLady

Queen of Alien Relations

Post by CrazyCatLady on Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:13 pm

^Everything in that post is purely subjective

4 is a great game, one of my favorites along with Shattered Memories

Please, do not base your decisions on whether someone likes certain ones or not. It's all opinion. You might find you like some of the newer games like many here did. They too are good games in my opinion and each have their own potential just like the older ones. 4 is a hit and miss with the fanbase. I'd say now 50% of the fans love it and 50% don't. Same with Shattered Memories.

My advice is don't listen to others' opinions on the games, and form your own. only after you've played the games should you decide whether you like it or not, and form judgements based on what others have said.

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Post by Otherworld on Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:53 am

Nutmeg wrote:My advice is don't listen to others' opinions on the games, and form your own. only after you've played the games should you decide whether you like it or not, and form judgements based on what others have said.

I completely agree. ^This is the absolute best way in not only creating your own judgments about each game, but it also allows you to formulate your own opinion and theories when discussing them.

MuFc l mAtt

Post by MuFc l mAtt on Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:37 pm

nur_ein_tier wrote:With the patches, the HD collection works well enough if you can't find other versions, but it is inferior in some ways, yes.

Sounding like a broken record here, but avoid the X360 HD version. Total glitchfest, and even became unplayable in my case.
-

TomRL

Post by TomRL on Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:50 pm

I've come back to, and it pains me to say this, admit that I was wrong on the original Silent Hill and on Resident Evil 1/2. Silent Hill 1 completely blows them out of the water. I played it yesterday just to soak up the atmosphere. I still haven't formed a complete opinion on it yet and don't know if I'll be able to. The other reason I came back here is for recommendations on which form of Silent Hill 2 I should play.

1:Would it be worth getting the PS3 edition of the Silent Hill collection? I heard it got a pretty substantial update to fix things.
2:If so, am I able to go back to the old voice acting? Because I listened to a bit of the newer voice over and it sounded awful.

Edit: I should also say that I really like Shattered Memories. Even if it's a bit clumsily done, it still has a very strong mood and great ambition.

Oohfakanorus

My Star Sign Is MURDER!

Post by Oohfakanorus on Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:51 pm

TomRL wrote:I've come back to, and it pains me to say this, admit that I was wrong on the original Silent Hill and on Resident Evil 1/2. Silent Hill 1 completely blows them out of the water. I played it yesterday just to soak up the atmosphere. I still haven't formed a complete opinion on it yet and don't know if I'll be able to. The other reason I came back here is for recommendations on which form of Silent Hill 2 I should play.

1:Would it be worth getting the PS3 edition of the Silent Hill collection? I heard it got a pretty substantial update to fix things.
2:If so, am I able to go back to the old voice acting? Because I listened to a bit of the newer voice over and it sounded awful.

Edit: I should also say that I really like Shattered Memories. Even if it's a bit clumsily done, it still has a very strong mood and great ambition.

Good to see you back, TomRL!
You can only choose the original voices on Silent Hill 2. I've forgotten your first post and what consoles you have. My bad.
But if you're able to play Shattered Memories, I'd look into getting Silent Hill 4 on the PS2.
But as the HD collection is seriously down in price at Game stores these days, you pays your money and makes your choice as they say!
No results found for oohfakanorus.

TomRL

Post by TomRL on Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:55 pm

Finally got Silent Hill 2 and 3 and I'm loving it. I'm loving the atmosphere and the music and even some of the poetry. The start of the game is incredible. But now I'm stuck at the hospital and have been for a few weeks now. I just can't find the motivation to pick it up again. I've been through one loss against flesh lips and I can't remember what to do to get back there (I saved just before going up to the roof). So that's daunting, and then there is all the note taking and clues I have to put together to open the million locks on that chest. I really appreciate Silent Hill 2. It has been incredible so far. But now I'm finding I'm appreciating it with my cognition rather than my feeling. I still appreciate the first hour of the game emotionally and cognitively, but I'm struggling to have that emotion with the entire piece.
It's like reading a book. Actually it's a bit harder than just reading a book. These puzzles are like solving the enigma code. I have been molded by the internet and the other ultra-stimulating content that's fed to us on a daily basis. I'm finding it very difficult to stay focused on this game.
I can keep going if I'm fed story, cut-scenes, music or just general melancholic mood. That will keep me fighting through the morbid moments. But jumping straight into the morbid and disturbing atmosphere that the hospital currently is is a difficult thing to do.

Ren of Heavens

Sega fanatic

Post by Ren of Heavens on Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:17 pm

Oh man 2 + 3 is where things really pick up in the series, enjoy. And if you're having trouble in SH2's hospital consult your map regularly as James crosses off which doors he's entered, it sounds to me that you've likely missed a door on a particular floor and as far as I remember the level is a breeze if you have all of the doors unlocked. If all else fails I suppose you could watch a quick Let's Play on You Tube of the area that you are in just to get things moving. I say that because it would be a shame if you gave up SH2 here as the more awesome moments of the game are still to come.

I wish I could go back to summer 2012 and play through the Silent Hill series for the first time all over again. :cry:

TomRL

Post by TomRL on Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:55 pm

So I did a marathon from the hospital to the finish. My one big want by the end was to have a better performance for Angela. Better performance overall would be nice but Angela in particular really needed a better VO. Her character was excellent.

About to try and finish SH1 since I'm sold that SH3 is a continuation. What I'm really looking forward to is SH4 though.

Next

Return to Silent Hill Game Help