Give or get help if you're stuck on a section of one of the games.
Forum rules
Remember to make your thread titles as clear as possible and put the game title in the subject of your help thread when posting!
Examples: "SH2 Cockroach Room" or "SH4 Walter Boss"

SLDT

Silent Hill 4 Texture Cracks

Post by SLDT on Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:14 pm

So, I recently started replaying my used copy of Silent Hill 4 for the original Xbox on my Xbox 360, and I noticed shortly after I started playing that the textures have cracks in them during cut scenes. During regular game play, the graphics are perfectly fine, but during cut scenes, the character models seem to have fissures open up in them, particularly around their faces. I bought the game used a while back, and the disc is pretty scratched up (not big scratches, mind you, but plenty of little ones), so I'm sure that probably has something to do with it, but I'm wondering if, by any chance, that this might be a software issue, and if any of you have any suggestions that might help me resolve this issue, in either case. Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

vapour_snake

Post by vapour_snake on Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:27 am

This has nothing to do with a scratched disc. The 360 just doesn't play all original Xbox games correctly. I'd bet it also skips a bit during cutscenes. BTW, DON'T play Silent Hill 2 on 360. Its nearly unplayable. I'm not talking about the HD Collection by the way.
^IN MY HUMBLE OPINION^

SLDT

Post by SLDT on Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:47 pm

This has nothing to do with a scratched disc. The 360 just doesn't play all original Xbox games correctly. I'd bet it also skips a bit during cutscenes. BTW, DON'T play Silent Hill 2 on 360. Its nearly unplayable. I'm not talking about the HD Collection by the way.

I've never played my copy of Silent Hill 4: The Room on the original Xbox before (I've been too lazy to dig mine out), so I wouldn't know the difference between the format and length of the cutscenes when the game is played on the original Xbox as opposed to the Xbox 360, but it's been a while since I've played the game at all, so it wouldn't surprise me if I just overlooked the texture cracks the first time. In any case, thank you very much for the clarification. Your explanation sounds very plausible, and makes me worry a little less about the conditions of the disc (though I may end up using my disc buffer on it, regardless). Hearing what you've said kind of makes me want to get the PS2 version so I can play it with better graphics, though (that, and the fact that the Xbox version I have did not come with its original case).

Parvatii

The Red God

Post by Parvatii on Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:59 pm

It did that to me too. I looked up a compatibility chart when I got SH4 and I never could get it to stop the cracks. So you're just going to have to deal with glitches or play it on ps2.
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)

Return to Silent Hill Game Help