Give or get help if you're stuck on a section of one of the games.
Forum rules
Remember to make your thread titles as clear as possible and put the game title in the subject of your help thread when posting!
Examples: "SH2 Cockroach Room" or "SH4 Walter Boss"

Ratiocinator

Partner

Undeniably Nerdy. Exceedingly Cool.

SH2 PC vs. SH2DC PC: Which is better?

Post by Ratiocinator on Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:20 pm

Hi all,

The original NA release of SH2 for PC (the one in the yellow box) is pretty notorious for bugs and glitches: Certain Nvidia cards won't display text (without a patch), audio often hiccups/stutters/repeats itself endlessly (even after the supposed patch to fix that), small visual quirks such as the black backdrop in areas not loading so you see bits of blaring white through the seams of geometry. There are some other glitches too I can't remember off the top of my head.

So my question is: Does the European PC Director's Cut of the game fix most (all?) of these issues? I've heard rumors that this version is better for it does fix them but I don't have any reference to compare it to myself. Does the DC version have new/other glitches/bugs of its own different than the NA version? Anyone have the Director's Cut or, even better, both versions and can attest one way or the other?

Thanks for your time and any help

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:08 am

I have only ever played the DC version of SH2 on PC. Since 2009 at least, I have played it across at least four entirely different PC's, and never experienced any issues with it. Two of those PC's had Nvidia GPU's in them, one was AMD and the other (a laptop) was using either integrated Intel gfx or a mobile AMD or Nvidia GPU. No issues that I can recall at all across those playthroughs personally, so for what it's worth I would say at least that the DC version is more stable than the original version.

Ratiocinator

Partner

Post by Ratiocinator on Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:39 pm

You're awesome Naroon. Thanks for the info and taking the time to write it all out.

Now I just to find an affordable-yet-not-busted-all-the-hell-up copy of SH2:DC PC on eBay. All sellers are international for me (I'm in the US, they're in Europe) so shipping is also gonna be fun. :cry:

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Post by nur_ein_tier on Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:50 pm

Yeah, it must vary greatly depending on your cards, etc. I've played the original (only original, not DC) and I've used... geez, I dunno, at least 3 different desktops and 3 laptops, and the only problem I ever encountered was that a couple of them gave me a pain in the ass when they were installing/asking to install DirectX and then the installer would quit. No in-game crashes or issues on any of them, except when I was running multiple camhack programs and shit along with the game, so those don't really count.
ImageImageImage

Ratiocinator

Partner

Post by Ratiocinator on Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:42 pm

Naroon,

I just popped in my original PC version and screen grabbed these. They're from various rooms in Woodside Apartments. So you don't have any of these white lines/seams in the Director's Cut? Are you using an NVidia card?

*You'll need to click the magnifying glass in the top left corner to zoom in and, depending on your monitor size, click it again to get full resolution because those white lines will be hard to see otherwise.

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:39 pm

I don't recall ever seeing those on my Director's Cut version, no. I seem to still have my DC on this hard drive, so it'll be trivial for me to boot the game up and play the game up to those points. I'll do that and take some screencaps and post them here, if you'd like. Right now I am using an AMD Radeon HD 7870 as my GPU.

edit: Here's a good webpage that goes in-depth about SH2 PC and various optional bugfixes and external enhancements that can be done to the game.

edit2: Here are some screenies I took just now. Various places inside the apartments at similar angles/places as your shots:

Ratiocinator

Partner

Post by Ratiocinator on Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:34 am

Awesome again Naroon; thank you. The white lines on my game were only visible when the flashlight was off. Do you recall the same being true for you as you were taking those photos?

While I never tried an AMD GPU I've had multiple NVidia ones throughout the 1.5 decades that I've tried with my NA PC copy so I *think* it's a goof with the game itself as surely not every single NVidia card would have the same white lines glitch, yeah?

And thanks for sharing that website link: I've been using it already a lot here recently. :) I can't wait to get a copy of the DC PC version and try the widescreen + AA fix combo... that'll surely save some headaches as an all-in-one package! As right now I have to force it through my GPU control panel for the game and the results can sometimes be wonky.

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:34 pm

Yeah I was being extra-observant about the potential white seams/lines as I went through the apartments. The last image is one that was taken right before I picked up the flashlight I think, but I was in other rooms before that and didn't see any white seams or lines.

Indeed I doubt all NV cards would have the issue, as I don't recall Nvidia having any issues like that with Direct3D 8.

Ratiocinator

Partner

Post by Ratiocinator on Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:24 pm

Okay, I'm running out of ideas...

My good friend Wil gave me a copy of the DC PC version. The Widescreen Fix works amazing. I love how all the essentials are in one package for the DC version fix.

Before, using the widescreen fix for the NA PC version, the main title screen simply wouldn't appear. You can still click things but you cannot see anything. The DC PC version fixes that which is awesome.

However... I still had all those little white lines I showed you earlier. BUT! I went into my Nvidia control panel and told it to allow the application to fully control the anti-aliasing which fixed it. Thanks to the all-in-one amazing widescreen fix for the DC PC version changing that Nvidia setting worked this time around:

That fixed that problem! However (again) the huge white "background" thing behind the closet doors is still messed up (this is the room right after you go through the grandfather clock):

I have tried literally every option I could change in the Nvidia panel for this game and nothing gets rid of it... I don't know what else to do to fix this bug. :(

Ratiocinator

Partner

Post by Ratiocinator on Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:09 pm

Update: Upon further investigation that seems to be a game-specific "glitch" (to the PC version only) and nothing to do with GPUs.

Oddly enough, the HD Collection actually addressed that glitch. I'm surprised.

They also fixed the widescreen camera in various spots which is great. For example: Meeting Laura on the wall for the first time you don't see James "frozen in place" before he's supposed to walk on scene. Or during any tight hallways where the new widescreen camera would "clip" through walls.

But just as one comes to expect, there were also spots within the HD collection that did not fix the issue and the camera still clipped through the wall. :D

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:04 pm

I don't know if this will work or not, but maybe check the Nvidia GPU control panel and see if it's forcing SH2 to use any sort of AF (anisotropic filtering.) If it's set to anything higher than x1, make sure to drop it back to x1 (which is basically off) as apparently in some games (especially emulators) AF can cause texture seams like the ones you've been experiencing.

Ratiocinator

Partner

Post by Ratiocinator on Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:50 pm

It appears to be game-specific to the PC versions:

https://youtu.be/XOL-z9j1BKk?t=1m25s

https://youtu.be/Ih9aa8WZ3jM?t=2m26s

https://youtu.be/hiEBv3KdKsc?t=9m1s

I opened this particular room in the SH Level Explorer and the closet doors have open gaps at the top. So that white we see behind it is the "default color" for this part of the "world." So now I can't help but to wonder if you could open sh2.exe in a hex editor and change a value to fix this by turning the white game world black?

HeatherMasonSH3

Ugh, forget it!

Post by HeatherMasonSH3 on Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:11 pm

I've played SH2:DC on PC on my old Windows 7 64-bit laptop (with low specs like a 512mb graphics card), and on my newer Windows 8.1 desktop Pc (I play Battlefield 1 on high on it much more powerful). The game was more stable on Win 7 in my opinion. The Pc version doesn't run at a consistent 60 fps in fact it's 30fps in most places when I recorded the framerate and it also has some real tempermental issues like it will crash if you alt-tab and there are some areas that seem unstable due to whatever graphical glitch.

I switched to Silent Hill 2 via PCSX2, that version has more fog than the Pc version, it also runs at a consistent 60fps without frame rate drops. I've played the original SH2 PS2 version, SH2:DC, and the attrocious Silent Hill HD collection (don't even bother with that one). I would say for general compatiability and retaining the original artistic vision the PS2 version original or emulated on Pc is an absolute must.

Silent Hill 2 running through the PCSX2 emulator

RPT

Post by RPT on Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:52 am

Ratiocinator wrote:Update: Upon further investigation that seems to be a game-specific "glitch" (to the PC version only) and nothing to do with GPUs.

I disagree, I think it has everything to do with GPUs.

Seeing the problem you're having, I wonder do you have this failing on the observation deck, too?

Where normally it should look like this:

The two photos above have been taken from the same PC, laptop to be exact. The first one used the dedicated Nvidia Card and the 2nd one used the integrated, old Intel 300. Even thought the game "meant to be played" with Nvidia, (GeForce 4) Intel one performs better because it's older. My point is that old games simply doesn't agree with newer GPUs. Hell, my Nvidia don't even recognize Silent Hill 3 correctly It lists as Silent Hunter 3 :) And this above is not the only texture failure I had, There're many more here and there, Check the Brookhaven Hospital's main door, there's a white line on the top, similar to your cabinets. I'm sure you will have that too.

Ratiocinator

Partner

Post by Ratiocinator on Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:22 pm

Hey RPT,

Wanted to chime in here that you're totally right: It has to do with the GPUs. I found the fix for the "white" issue.

Open the device.fix folder in the Silent Hill 2 PC directory. Find the GPU brand you're using (so for me it's Nvidia/Geforce). So in this file I'd find the line:

Code: Select all
VENDOR NVIDIA 10DE

and add right under it:

Code: Select all
HACK DX_CONFIG_USE_VERTEX_SHADERS 0

This fixes both the "white" issue and the "flashlight bug" (where James illuminates certain objects behind him with the light on) HOWEVER it also degrades the flashilght's quality. Instead of a perfect circular light beam it becomes the "blocky" light beam as seen in the PS2 version. Also, other environmental shaders are a little less nice.

Anyway, you can add that "HACK" line under the GPU of your choice and it'll fix the issue (but cause others as I've mentioned above).

Return to Silent Hill Game Help