Forum for all other Silent Hill-related discussion.

jam6i

Inescapable Rain in Yoshiwara Album (Silent Hill 4 Disc 2)

Post by jam6i on Wed May 24, 2017 5:33 pm

(I'm putting this thread in General because the forum is kinda slow for now and not much is going on in the world of SH and this could get buried unnoticed in the SH4 subforum).

Want this?

------------------------------

Part 1: Inescapable Rain in Yoshiwara Album

So here's a follow-up project to the Born From a Wish Soundtrack I released a year ago.

This album (scroll to bottom of page)
http://www.silenthillmemories.net/music/sh2_csts_en.htm

Shortly before finishing the BFaW project, I started working on doing the same thing for Inescapable Rain in Yoshiwara. So this is something I've been at (on and off) for a year..

Silent Hill 4's Japanese OST came with a Disc 2. On Disc 2 was an "audio drama" that contained a Japanese story (Inescapable Rain in Yoshiwara) with Akira Yamaoka's music in the background. Some of the music from the audio drama could be found elsewhere, but most of it can only be found on the Yoshiwara album.

So, like I did with the Born From a Wish album, I reconstructed these ambient tracks, this time isolating the music from the narration.

After everything was done I ended up with a 28 track album. This final album is made up of all the tracks from Yoshiwara that can be found elsewhere as well as all the reconstructed pieces that cannot.

Part 2: Download the Album

To download the album, scroll to the bottom of the following page:

http://www.silenthillmemories.net/music/sh4_csts_en.htm#sh4_inescapable_rain_in_yoshiwara

There are two versions given. One version has all 28 tracks combined into one flowing album. The other version has each of the 28 tracks as a separate file.

Part 3: Story Video

I have taken the only available translation of the Yoshiwara story and turned it into a story/video:

Part 4: Tracklist

The final tracklist is broken down into sections of the story as presented on the original Disc 2

Tracks No. 1, 3, 4, 5, 7, 10, 14, 17, 18, 21, 24 and 27 were tracks I reconstructed through editing, or were tracks that required editing on my part.
Tracks No. 2, 6, 8, 9, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 19, 20, 22, 23, 25, 26 and 28 can be found elsewhere.

There were an additional handful of tracks that can't be found elsewhere that I was unable to reconstruct through editing.

Ichikotsu (D)
1.) The Promiser (Theme of Gennsai)
2.) Sunset
3.) The Wake Act
4.) Prisonic Fairytale II
5.) Fool Songs
Tangin (E) (Instrumental)
6.) The Searcher (Theme of Osaku)
Hyoujou (F)
7.) The Joy Room
8.) Clown Parade
9.) Last Movie
10.) Pushing Thoughts
Shoshetsu (F Sharp)
11.) Resting Comfortably - Nasty Remix
12.) Lifetime
Shimomu (G) (Instrumental)
13.) The Performer (Theme of Osato)
Soujou (G Sharp)
14.) The Sleep Act
15.) Sunrise
Oushiki (A Sharp)
16.) The Circler (Theme of Gonji)
17. Strangled
Rankei (B)
18.) Pursued
19.) Sliced
Banshiki (C)
20.) Hollow Melodies
Shinsen (C Sharp)
21.) Thirty-Seven Notes...
Kamimu (D)
22.) Mechanized Discord
23.) Two Evils
Special Chapter
24.) ...for the Reunion Piece
25.) Uneternal Sleep
26.) Resting Comfortably
27.) Pleading Chimes
28.) Room of Angel

Part 5: About/Information/Links

Additional information for Inescapable Rain in Yoshiwara can be found below:

Translation (1st source)
http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/viewtopic.php?t=18228821

Translation (2nd source)
http://auriea.org/index.pl/SilentHill4Kyodan

Teisui Ichiryusai (Narrator)
http://silenthill.wikia.com/wiki/Teisui_Ichiryusai

Silent Hill 4 Japanese OST Disc 2 Information
http://www.silenthillmemories.net/music/sh4_osts_en.htm

Part 6: Printable Cover

If you want to make your own cd case for Yoshiwara, I've created a front/rear cover..

After printing, cut the image where the two sides meet. The left is for the front cover and the right is the rear cover. You'll still need this for the rear cover if you want the booklet instead of the front cover.

Part 7: Printable Booklet

Finally, if you want to be brave, you can make your own 16-page booklet. The booklet contains info on the album and the entire translated story.

**Note 1**
When printing, make sure you don't have the "fill page" option checked. You need the image scaled down to fit the page.

**Note 2**
The wide strip of blank space on the right of the images are meant to be there. This white band keeps the image scaled down to a size that fits the front of the case.

**Note 3**
I recommend using specialty paper such as brochure paper for printing. Thick/card stock paper is difficult to use for this, but manageable (that's what I used in the first pics above and as you can see in the images, parts of the edges are worn from shoving it and out the cd case notches.) You'll want to use something like brochure paper for easy inserting. Of course you can use whatever paper you want. Card stock works, but it's a tight fit.

**Note 4**
If the image prints too dark, boost the brightness in photoshop or another program. For me, these images printed slightly darker than I liked so I boosted the brightness a bit to get clearer images. You may find you don't need to do this.

**Note 5**
On Page 2 of the booklet I've allowed for a "Disc 1" and "Disc 2" if you want to make a 2-disc album, one with just music and the second with the original audio drama.

**Note 6**
You can also make custom cd labels (like what I used above). There are some good disc labels on Amazon. I used the following products to get the custom disc label:

Disc Labels
https://www.amazon.com/Avery-CD-Labels-labels-Spine/dp/B00066FHJW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495407182&sr=8-1&keywords=avery+disc+labels

Label Applicator
https://www.amazon.com/Avery-DVD-Label-Applicator-5699/dp/B00066FHNI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495407214&sr=8-1&keywords=cd+label+applicator

**Final Note**
Follow these directions exactly. Making this booklet can be easy to screw up.

Step 1: Print the following image (Pages 8 and 9 of the booklet)

Step 2: Take the paper and rotate it 180 degrees (the white band should be facing away from you)

Step 3: Print the following image (Pages 7 and 10 of the booklet)

Step 4: Cut the white edges off the image so that all white edges are off from both sides of the paper.

Step 5: Fold the image so that Pages 8 and 9 meet each other (Pages 7 and 10 on the outside)

Step 6: Print the following image (Pages 6 and 11 of the booklet)

Step 7: Take the paper and rotate it 180 degrees (the white band should be facing away from you)

Step 8: Print the following image (Pages 5 and 12 of the booklet)

Step 9: Cut the white edges off so that all white edges are off from both sides of the paper

Step 10: Fold the images so that Pages 6 and 11 meet each other (Pages 5 and 12 on the outside)

Step 11: Place Folded Pages 6 and 11 underneath folded Pages 8 and 9

Step 12: Print the following image (Pages 4 and 13 of the booklet)

Step 13: Take the paper and rotate it 180 degrees (the white band should be facing away from you)

Step 14: Print the following image (Pages 3 and 14 of the booklet)

Step 15: Cut the white edges off so that all white edges are off from both sides of the paper

Step 16: Fold the images so that Pages 4 and 13 meet each other (Pages 3 and 14 on the outside)

Step 17: Place folded Pages 4 and 13 under folded Pages 6 and 11

Step 18: Print the following image (Pages 2 and 15 of the booklet)

Step 19: Take the paper and rotate it 180 degrees (the white band should be facing away from you)

Step 20: Print the following image (Pages 1 and 16 of the booklet)

Step 21: Cut the white edges off so that all white edges are off from both sides of the paper

Step 22: Fold the images so that Pages 2 and 15 meet each other (Pages 1 and 16 on the outside)

Step 23: Place Folded Pages 2 and 15 under folded Pages 4 and 13

FINAL STEP:

You should be left with 4 stacked pages, with prints on both sides, 16 booklet pages total, that looks like this:

Page 8 / Page 9
Page 7 / Page 10
Page 6 / Page 11
Page 5 / Page 12
Page 4 / Page 13
Page 3 / Page 14
Page 2 / Page 15
Page 1 (front cover / Page 16 (rear cover)

If this is what the stack looks like, take your stapler and staple it together.

Done!
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.

Wilsden Hills

...#*%...!$@#<...

Post by Wilsden Hills on Wed May 24, 2017 5:55 pm

Magnificent! Thank you, that's my next day off taken care of. Cheers muchly for sharing your labour of love 8-)
No-one can judge you baby, they don't live your life....

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Post by Otherworld on Wed May 24, 2017 7:13 pm

This is fantastic! You knock it out of the park again Jam6i!

Thank you for sharing!

Tabris

Post by Tabris on Wed May 24, 2017 7:36 pm

Awesome work and thanks a lot.

Look forward to listening ~

Wilsden Hills

...#*%...!$@#<...

Post by Wilsden Hills on Mon May 29, 2017 8:01 am

I'd be fckng annoyed if this gets lost in a sea of indifference, it's a masterwork on your part jam6i that deserves a larger audience! I guess Mr Yamaoka deserves a bit of a nod too :lol: double thanks from me, for your superb product, and for inspiring me to give the story cd a listen too. But the professionalism of your product is magnificent. Sure I couldn't quite get the booklet to resize to 12x12 and still line-up exactly when printing, so I've got a smaller booklet sat inside the front cover, so what, it's still awesome.

I've tried and generally failed to listen to the 'complete' ripped soundtracks to the games, there's usually just too much unlistenable metal machine music in there for my tastes, but your two rips and rejigs are perfectly sized slices of ambient joy. (For the record I find the first games' official soundtrack entirely unlistenable. Works like a majestic genius-soaked beauty in-game, works like sticking your head in the oven and banging it from side to side as a piece of stand-alone music to relax to in your house).

Anyway in an attempt to generate some interest, I'm gonna put a heads-up in the Silent Hill Fans Xbox club. It's as quiet as you'd imagine a console-specific club based around a series for which one solitary (back-compat) game is available, but if anyone there doesn't know about your work, well they ought to 8-)
No-one can judge you baby, they don't live your life....

Return to Silent Hill General Discussion