Forum for all other Silent Hill-related discussion.

LisaGarland

Silent Hill town map HD

Post by LisaGarland on Mon May 22, 2017 8:00 am

OK, so at the moment I don't have the image finished and its gonna take me some time.
I'm posting this O.P because I don't want to cause any issues with ownership of said images which I have used to make this map.
The maps I am using I found on Google - which had a SH Resort watermark on them - they were HD remade versions of SH1's maps (Old SH, Central SH and the Resort area)
I know someone else made an entire town map - but sadly, the version I had, you couldn't actually zoom in and see all the street names or even roads clearly. It was only an overall image.

My aim was to take these SH1 HD maps - 'stitch' them together digitally - so that the entire northern shore was mapped in detail (including all shop names)
I'm also fixing scale issues between the official maps too (such as Old and Central SH bridges not being equal sizes)
and altering the riverside shoreline to fix between the maps properly.
I also noticed some missing details on the Old SH map compared to the Central SH map (bridge steps) so added those into the Old map too.
Merging Origin's map as best I could - having to resize streets to fit with the original SH1 version... and so on.

What do you guys think? If I posted the image link here (when its complete) there shouldn't be any issues, right?
With any luck - the original creator may also be on here to give permission?

This post will be edited when the map is finalized.
Here is a sneek peak.

Geez Team Silent really messed up the maps in the games..
I'm trying to determine the ''true'' location of the Resort Area and where the roads link up.

I've tried using the Sewer maps (layered ontop of each other) as indication, and the location is totally wrong compared to SH1.
I noticed quite a few fan maps are totally wrong also - but with no definitive answer - I guess we'll never know for sure.

I always thought that Bachman Road was straight (from Old SH to Resort Area) which would mean perhaps another bridge like the other parts of town have. I noticed on other maps fans made, Bachman Road had been moved altogether which doesn't make sense.
I was hoping to make this for fans as reference - but ....
"I won't tell a soul. Promise. So please...."

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Silent Hill town map HD

Post by Otherworld on Mon May 22, 2017 1:17 pm

There is another member here, jam6i, that put together a fantastic map. You could pm him for some help with your project.

jam6i

Silent Hill town map HD

Post by jam6i on Mon May 22, 2017 11:42 pm

Many months of work went into all those maps I made, all can be found here:

http://www.silenthillmemories.net/lore/maps_en.htm

If that version of the complete map you said you had but couldn't zoom in was mine, it's because you have to download it (it's a massive image). Download link also on the page above. It's large so that you can zoom into even the smallest street.

Yep. The maps for Old and Central Silent Hill are not scaled the same. The maps I linked have the two districts scaled correctly.

There is a mystery area in between Resort Side and Central Silent Hill. The areas connect properly, but there's a lot of uncovered ground here (in the maps I linked above, you can see how I linked the two areas).

If the town maps are scaled equally, you can overlay the sewer maps and it's almost a perfect path from entrance to exit. If I remember correctly, one of the sewer maps also has to be scaled to match the others.

About Bachman road, that's probably the biggest error the early SH fan maps made, moving Bachman road to make sense. You don't have to do this. Bachman road connects directly to Resort Side, and you're correct that there has to be a bridge and the road has to curve. Not only this, but the river between the two main districts has to also bend.

I wish you luck on this project. Even though it took me many months, I enjoyed it.

Important thing is to have fun with it. You'll definitely stumble into issues you didn't know you would stumble into. Don't get discouraged by the problems you'll find. I can confirm it all works if you just stick through the tedium of editing it.
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.

LisaGarland

Silent Hill town map HD

Post by LisaGarland on Tue May 23, 2017 5:11 am

^ yeah, the scaling and stuff was a nightmare - I tried to overlay the sewer maps but I didn't rescale them.

The only reason I'm making it was for an in-game map - which will cover these areas - and I'm also going to make some new areas.
My imagination isn't what it used to be though hahaha - I don't know whether to make more more streets beneath the school area (Old SH) and the new bridge across Bachman Road.
Trying to make sense of the Resort Area buildings since most of it is set in the Otherworld - I tried to map those too.
Shops like Things and Stuff, and the bowling alley (near the sewer entrance to the Park)

I also noticed the Amusement Park is moved in SH2 and all fan maps. In SH1 - there is a large building coloured in on the left of the map, past the blocked road.
I'm assuming this area is the park itself (due to the short sewer path to the left)
In SH2, they placed a road coming down inbetween - which contradicts SH1's map and the shoreline there.
Look here..

As you can see - I have kept the shoreline from both maps - but I moved the SH2 segment over a little to match the straight section of road from SH1. What do you think?
"I won't tell a soul. Promise. So please...."

jam6i

Silent Hill town map HD

Post by jam6i on Tue May 23, 2017 11:38 am

The SH2 map doesn't contradict anything from the SH1 map.

This is the big error that the early fan maps made. Look below:

The early maps took Riverside Drive from Central SH and made it connect to Bachman Road, and took the road near Lakeside Amusement and turned that into Bachman Road.

For starters, this shift makes the entire south end of Central SH easy to connect, and it eliminates the problem I mentioned above, that there is a large portion of Central SH that is not found on any map in the franchise. By shifting these roads, it makes sooooooo much of the three SH1 districts easy to edit together.

But it's wrong.

This is what the correct alignment would look like

Both Bachman sections are connected, with a linking bridge over a river that bends between the districts, and South Park connects to Riverside Drive.
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.

Return to Silent Hill General Discussion