Forum for all other Silent Hill-related discussion.

Oohfakanorus

My Star Sign Is MURDER!

Most Depressing Ending In The Games? (Spoilers)

Post by Oohfakanorus on Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:37 am

What's the most depressing ending in a Silent Hill game?
I'm going with "21 Sacraments" from 4. Main character disfigured beyond recognition. Everyone in the apartment dead and now Police officers suddenly being admitted to hospital with bad stomach pains as it clearly spreads across the globe.*
Well that's lovely! A lot of other bad endings in the titles just involved with the main characters. But "21 Sacraments" is more global. Not just directed at one person.
You had one job Henry!!

*= My interpretation. I don't think it's going to be localised.
No results found for oohfakanorus.

what

From behind the veil

Post by what on Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:41 pm

21 Sacraments is interesting because it's the first and last time we have some indication that the effect can spread and pose an extinction-level threat to humanity.

I think the Bad ending from Silent Hill 1 is the most depressing. What an awful and painful kind of fever dream to have as your final experience on earth. It redefines all you've just seen when each transition back and forth between fog and darkness could have marked the real passing of time as he took days to finally starve to death, not seeing Cheryl and never having any clue of her fate. All those awful emotions coupled with total, hopeless futility make his final moments a dark and deadly chase through darkness and terror which ultimately leaves him empty-handed and with no future.

Rodox_Head

itsamistery

Post by Rodox_Head on Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:46 pm

I think I'd say any of the endings from SH2, just for the fact that no matter which one you get James is screwed regardless.

A: he spends the rest of his life behind bars for murdering his wife as an autopsy would likely reveal the cause of death as suffocation and not the superAIDS she had.
B: he commits suicide after he figures he can't live without Mary or face the regular world after what he did
C: he lives the rest of his life on the lam under a false identity and never sees his loved ones again
E: he is committed to an insane asylum after he tries to convince others that the world is controlled by a Shiba Inu

Since he is deemed "missing" in SH4 we can assume it was either B or C.

PinentidHead

An old Silent Hill fan old

Post by PinentidHead on Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:37 pm

It's part of Silent Hill universe the total impossibility of a happy ending. Plus, in SH2 and Shattered Memories there is no good and bad endings previously defined - it depends upon our interpretation.

I think the "in water" ending of SH2 is the most depressing because taking his own life with no further purpose is the definition of depression - the world spin around him, Mary, so he forgot about Laura and there is no meaning of life at all.

But not everything is lost, there is the Maria's ending 8-) , the Rebirth's ending :twisted: , the Dogs ending :D , and finally, the UFO ending :wtf ...

Seriously, the Leave ending was a lesson to me, it was an ending to think about myself. In this "ending" (or restarting), he takes only what really matters and go on with life, accepting how it is... a lot to think, but hard to do it in real life, right? That's why I still keep with "In The Water" as it is the opposite way out of Leave.

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Post by Otherworld on Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:01 pm

The Maria ending seems like a bad one for James ....

^ This really epitomizes what this ending means for James. He ends up in a prison of his own making, having to nurse his wife's doppelgänger all the way to death over and over and over .....

An infinite loop ....

Tabris

Post by Tabris on Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:44 pm

The Maria one is pretty rough.

I definitely would go with In Water. After going through everything he did in the game (which was fucking hell) and for him to finally break enough to kill himself the way he did. Like, holy shit. The fact that he sounded weirdly content with the idea and terribly broken at the same time made it even worse.

Lilith

Mind of Destructive Taste

Post by Lilith on Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:42 pm

what wrote:21 Sacraments is interesting because it's the first and last time we have some indication that the effect can spread and pose an extinction-level threat to humanity.

Though through the possessed ending in SH3 this could be hinted at as well. However, it is much more vague. This must be what Harry and Joseph were talking about.
I cease to exist on the Christmas list

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:05 pm

Tabris wrote:The Maria one is pretty rough.

I definitely would go with In Water. After going through everything he did in the game (which was fucking hell) and for him to finally break enough to kill himself the way he did. Like, holy shit. The fact that he sounded weirdly content with the idea and terribly broken at the same time made it even worse.

The only reason I think that this isn't as bad as it seems is because James headed to town to do just that.

Tabris

Post by Tabris on Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:59 am

Otherworld wrote:

The only reason I think that this isn't as bad as it seems is because James headed to town to do just that.

It's definitely bittersweet. There is a certain beauty to the ending. But the tone and heaviness of it all makes it one of the most depressing endings of all time I think.

I will definitely agree with other people here on the 21 Sacraments ending in SH4 though. I got absolute chills from that ending the first time I got it way back when it was new. It may as well tie with In Water for me.

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:25 pm

I find the 21 Sacraments ending in SH4 not depressing, but freaky af.

The "21 Sacraments" be naught but the 21 Heresies. To give birth to a world of wickedness within the blessed realm of our Lord be blasphemy and the work of the Devil."

^ That's some scary shit.

Tabris

Post by Tabris on Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:38 pm

^^ 200% agreed about all of it. SH4 is absurdly disturbing when you dig into it.

Rodox_Head

itsamistery

Post by Rodox_Head on Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:07 pm

Tabris wrote:^^ 200% agreed about all of it. SH4 is absurdly disturbing when you dig into it.

Although I wasn't that big a fan of 4 as the others, I'd still say that along with 3 it's one of the scariest and most disturbing in the series. The ghosts were a particularly disturbing enemy type since they weren't just standard mooks but the corpses of actual victims of Walter. I wish they had spent more time on those than some of the other less impressive enemies in the game, there's quite a few victims we never see in physical form.

Honorable mention for depressing ending for me would be the bad ending to 0rigins, but I suppose it took me a couple playthroughs for it to appear like that for me. The whole "Travis is a serial killer" theme can be easy to miss given all the other crap going on the game.

PinentidHead

Post by PinentidHead on Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:16 am

As the OP ask for the most depressive, not scariest, I think we will be around SH2 and The Room, with the honorable mention to SH3 bad ending. I think there is a "delayed effect" after Heather kill Douglas. He give up of killing her and probably will be her adoptive father (if she need), and not only she kill him but become the new evil of Silent Hill - the twist of a heroine.

The Room got a hell of a story, they could make a 21 chapters tv show! I think could be a game to close Silent Hill with golden key, but is not. It's boring, it's RE fake etc., and ending mechanics does not work well as the previous games. Besides, I will keep with "In The Water" because got deeper in characters psychology and there is real pathologies. The Room is mainly a game about a depressive story, not about depressive people.

Otherworld wrote:

That's the top depressive fact you can get!

There is still the "Drunk Daddy" from Shattered Memories, but is not that depressive because she is a young girl in a processes and still didn't make it yet - there is hope.

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:37 am

PinentidHead wrote:
Otherworld wrote:

That's the top depressive fact you can get!

I don't see it that way. I mean James accomplished what he set out to do before he was called. A murder suicide. That is what he wanted to do.

PinentidHead

Post by PinentidHead on Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:03 pm

^Yes, but what you, as the player, intend to do? Me: I got into the town to rescue Mary. The story twisted my mind in this process, my avatar is kinda suicidal, and than I discovered that she is really dead, and I am the murder. Than I read the letter at the end, after lost all hope of "rescue" or redemption, and finally killed myself... what could be possible more depressive than that?

And I still didn't get how he ends in the water since the car is far away from the lake...

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:57 am

PinentidHead wrote:^Yes, but what you, as the player, intend to do? Me: I got into the town to rescue Mary. The story twisted my mind in this process, my avatar is kinda suicidal, and than I discovered that she is really dead, and I am the murder. Than I read the letter at the end, after lost all hope of "rescue" or redemption, and finally killed myself... what could be possible more depressive than that?

And I still didn't get how he ends in the water since the car is far away from the lake...

Understood, but it must always be remembered that we the player, are playing a game from the very beginning with a protagonist that wants to end his life. In the first walkthrough this is not known, but after knowing the facts of the story we learn this.

BoLM quote:

The real reason James came to Silent Hill was to take his own life in a place of memories.

I just do not find this very depressing as he gets what he wants from the beginning.

Return to Silent Hill General Discussion