Forum for all other Silent Hill-related discussion.

C&Tsoftware

Developer

Our cancelled Silent Hill Pitch

Post by C&Tsoftware on Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:00 am

Hi there! My name is Jacob Howie from indie game studio, "C&T SOFTWARE". We are a studio based out of the US. We had an interesting 2016 thanks to a certain little pitch we did. We are HUGE Silent Hill fans at the studio and we decided, for the heck of it, to develop a pitch.
We used the GameGuru Engine to throw this playable teaser together to show Konami what we were going for: A first person survival horror adventure game similar to P.T (Silent Hills). This was not the final engine, and none of the assets shown in the games demo were final; because if approved, we would have switched over to a better quality (but longer to develop for) Unreal Engine and made original models/textures/etc for the game. The game was rejected not for quality reasons, but because Konami wants to develop this franchise "In House".

So, without further ado, here is a video of this extremely early teaser we presented to Konami in December.

Thank You so much for letting me share this with you.

Parvatii

Mind of Destructive Taste

Post by Parvatii on Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:55 am

Trippy! Lol at the toilet. I like the idea of thr shifts.

But Idk how to feel about a first person SH.
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)

C&Tsoftware

Developer

Post by C&Tsoftware on Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:09 am

Lilith wrote:Trippy! Lol at the toilet. I like the idea of thr shifts.

But Idk how to feel about a first person SH.

The toilet was actually a reference to past Silent Hill games since it was a running joke.

The crazy hallway at the end was going to be what transfers you between normal and otherworld realities, similar to the tunnel in Silent Hill 4.

Parvatii

Post by Parvatii on Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:29 am

Oh I got the toilet reference, haha.

Yeah, it was weird and I do like that idea of a tunnel.

Oohfakanorus

My Star Sign Is MURDER!

User is Online

Post by Oohfakanorus on Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:09 am

Thanks for the video and welcome, Jacob!

Good to see people take a hands on approach to the radio silence of Silent Hill. Did you have a story planned or is that a secret?
If I had the knowledge and resources I'd make a Silent Hill game, but not call it Silent Hill.

Press conference: This is Silent Hill isn't it?
Me: What? No! Never heard of it.
PC: You've got a hospital level.
Me: Oh shock horror! A game uses a hospital level so it must be silent hill!
PC: But you fight monster Nurses?
Me: Well... What else are you going to fight in a hospital? Anyway, moving on we expect to shift-
PC: Are all the doors in the hospital locked?
Me: Well NO obviously! Just like a real hospital.
PC: That has never been cleaned for ages by the look of it. How do you open the doors?
Me: Well you solve...
PC: Elaborate puzzles?
Me: Nnn...No! No! Not necessarily. You-you-you solve it by... Er... Answering trivia questions about... Stuff.
PC: Where is this game set exactly?
Me: Oh in small town ah... In a small town.
PC: A small town in America perchance?
Me: Not necessarily! America doesn't have a monopoly on small towns.
PC: What are the nationalities of your voice actors?
Me: Er... Oh! Racist! Racist! A game can only be judged by the nationality of it's voice actors! Well I like to to think the Gaming community is more open minded than that.
PC: Well what is the game called?
Me: Si...Si-si-sigh! Oh how tired I've become all of a sudden! Conference over thank you!
PC: Do you replenish your health with bottles of liquid?
Me: Yes and in the games they are called health-health- HELL DWINKS! i have suddenly developed a lisp!
PC: Is there a big monster boss in the game?
Me: Yes! He's quite powerful, but you never see his face due to his head being covered by a... a...
PC: Some sort of triangular shaped object obscuring his face?
Me: No..... Yes....
No results found for oohfakanorus.

PinentidHead

An old Silent Hill fan old

Post by PinentidHead on Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:34 pm

C&Tsoftware: did you purpose an AAA game develop for Konami? Brave heart! We need some faith lately...

As I can see, you know how to do it, the final tunnel is very interesting, though. I just finished Resident Evil HD for PS3, and have played many SH games since the first one. Let me share what I think about survival horror games, I am always playing some of them. Is not a "technics", it is juts my thoughts:

First, we need a good plot. There is no need to be all new, it need to be cool, so we go to the next level...
Second, how do we tell the story, and how the gameplay works inside the story (first or third person). Next...
Than we design the game, and than there is some features of the sub-genre, specially SH, we must follow.

In Silent Hill, the Team Silent used a torture technic that is the dual situation: good and horrible. So they give pain but sometimes they release the poor guy and let he have hope that things will be better, than they restart the pain! Silent Hill mix the situations and little by little will make the player uncomfortable, so monsters, blood and gore will have a different effect.

Everything in Silent Hill is symbolic and has a meaning (yeah, everything is connected), and the story is tell in pieces for the player rebuild in mind. This combination creates a parallel world in players mind, a horror much more effective than anything you can design on the screen. There is also the interesting consequence: focused on survive, the player does not rationalize the connections, so there is an unconscious effect also very effective in horror creation.

And there is more, but with this I will have my satisfaction (maybe). But I have a final personal request: make a decision if you will follow a canon or not. If it is a Silent Hill story, if uses the characters, places, etc. don't be a Konami, use the original canon or make your own new characters and places. I know it's hard to use the same map, but it is part of the job!

And good luck! You're going to need it...

C&Tsoftware

Developer

Post by C&Tsoftware on Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:02 pm

Thank you for the nice responses!

We wanted to get into Silent Hill development because of several reasons. One of them being that we love the IP but the other is that we are fascinated by the deep overall plot such as the order, halo of the sun, Alessa, etc. This is why in our pitch it's very much leaning toward the atmosphere and overall feeling of the original trilogy rather than the later games released. We wanted it to be very phycological and be able to scare the player with just sounds and dark areas like the classic games.

We were also bummed about P.T getting cancelled which I think is where the first person camera came into play. It's been proven it could be successful thanks to games like P.T, Resident Evil 7 and Outlast.

Maybe eventually we could re-present it to Konami again in the future or maybe repurpose it as something else.

I can't really say much about if we would return to this project because of company policies I have to be careful about but I had permission to share everything about this project with the exception of downloads. Personally I'd love to return to this project or a variant of it.

So if anyone wants to know anything I'd be happy to answer.

Edit: I see I missed a question. Sorry, I'm actually typing from my tablet. The canon question above: our pitch would have fell into the original canon. (1,3,origins) and would have been very similar in both the fog and other worlds and would reference events from the three games as well as have connections both spiritual and character wise. We had not planned who or what kind of characters would appear; but we did have an idea about possibly having a female protagonist.

PinentidHead

An old Silent Hill fan old

Post by PinentidHead on Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:56 pm

^A good unexplored character is Cybil. There is some clues about SH1 areas she should appears but it was abandoned. Also she got a past an obscure future (she dies or not). You can work with her past, when she became a heroine, parallel stories of SH1, parallel stories of SH3 or a total spin off.

Personally, I would like a story about how Cybil rescued Harry. If she was already fighting monsters since the accident with the bike, the fact of to give Harry a gun would be less odd, for a police officer (I always find silly this part). And why exactly she became trapped in SH? Also, will be cool play with her in the original Silent Hill map!

C&Tsoftware

Developer

Post by C&Tsoftware on Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:55 am

PinentidHead wrote:^A good unexplored character is Cybil. There is some clues about SH1 areas she should appears but it was abandoned. Also she got a past an obscure future (she dies or not). You can work with her past, when she became a heroine, parallel stories of SH1, parallel stories of SH3 or a total spin off.

Personally, I would like a story about how Cybil rescued Harry. If she was already fighting monsters since the accident with the bike, the fact of to give Harry a gun would be less odd, for a police officer (I always find silly this part). And why exactly she became trapped in SH? Also, will be cool play with her in the original Silent Hill map!

Well, our game was mostly a spin-off. It wasn't necessarily going to be taking place within main canon. Similar to how Downpour, Shattered Memories and Book Of Memories were.

We would eventually, (maybe!) like to release the data of what we did develop (kind of like a "Playable Teaser" of sorts.)
We would just have to look into our company policy as well as legal information before doing so.

Parvatii

Post by Parvatii on Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:44 pm

PinentidHead wrote:^A good unexplored character is Cybil. There is some clues about SH1 areas she should appears but it was abandoned. Also she got a past an obscure future (she dies or not). You can work with her past, when she became a heroine, parallel stories of SH1, parallel stories of SH3 or a total spin off.

She died. Ito confirmed it

C&Tsoftware

Developer

Post by C&Tsoftware on Thu May 18, 2017 7:49 am

For those still following this, we revived the project as something similar, but unrelated to Silent Hill: viewtopic.php?f=3309&t=438017

Return to Silent Hill General Discussion