Forum for all other Silent Hill-related discussion.

Hell Descended

Homecoming Defense Squad

What would you like to see in a remake?

Post by Hell Descended on Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:12 am

Of any given Silent Hill? It's been noted before that in sharp contrast to Resident Evil, our long-running series' pilot game hasn't even gotten a single official remake. Here's what I'd want to see in:

*A remake of Silent Hill:
>Today's graphics, obviously
> Removal of tank controls, free camera control.
> Preferably new voices, but voices that make an effort to sound like the old ones we know, instead of very popular (and talented!) actors who are just different enough to make it jarring.
> An onscreen health bar, and that goes for all remakes of any Silent Hill without one.

*A remake of 4: The Room:
> The addition of the absent ghosts (Bobby, Sein, Rick, Rosten, Gregory).
> Honestly don't change Henry's voice acting at all because his high-pitched dull surprise voicing is hilarious and I cherish it.
> Some sidequests would be nice. I don't mean fill it up the way it was done with Downpour, but the game can get linear and repetitive.
> Costumes! Henry needs his own costume for a change.
> Give Cynthia some more screen time, so it doesn't feel so cheap off the bat when she dies.

*A remake of Homecoming:
> A flashback or two should be added showing Alex's training, so people can finally stop complaining about Alex not being a soldier but being able to do ten backflips while gunning down monsters with an Uzi in each hand.
> The gore in the death scenes should be toned down, like the arm rip hole and the Schism. Not sure what's to be done about the drill scene since that's story driven, but the death scenes can be changed.
> I'd like to visit the Holloway, Fitch, and Bartlett houses.
> Please fix the teeth-clacking.
> Change Wheeler. A lot of people were confused about why Wheeler should be given a death option since he's overall pretty helpful, and I thought it went unnoticed that he was a coward before Alex meets him. Dude locked himself up in the police station instead of protecting people. Also, cut down his presence in the game and remove the one-liners. Please.
> Give Alex a visible limp in the end part of gameplay. Dude's had a drill in his leg. Don't like, change the controls too much, but make it apparent.

Tell me the games you'd want to see remade and how.

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Jesus blows up balloons all day

Post by nur_ein_tier on Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:26 pm

I'd be too afraid of them fucking up the first game, so I wouldn't want them to try.

I don't think the other games are old or outdated enough to remake, but if they did, I'd agree with more costumes for Silent Hill 4: The Room (how about a sexy Henry outfit, lol!) but I'd opt for FEWER ghosts, because they're a pain in the ass sometimes and they keep you from being able to explore some places at your leisure. Or more swords of obedience to put them down eventually (this would be a good way to have more ghosts but have them not be a constant pain in the ass).
ImageImage

Rodox_Head

itsamistery

Post by Rodox_Head on Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:52 pm

For 4:
- No burping patients and have the sniffers and gum heads not use the most generic monkey/jungle cat noises ever.
- Either tone down the ghosts' powers or make them less frequent. The whole thing about their mere presence around you hurting you I just found to be a pain in the ass.
- I agree with more alternate costumes

I still want the whole story behind Travis Grady to be retold somehow.

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Jesus blows up balloons all day

Post by nur_ein_tier on Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:28 pm

Oh, the burping monsters. Yes, let's get rid of that.

I like Travis, yeah. I don't see a problem with sh0 as it is, except that it was made for PSP so it doesn't look as good as it could look with high res graphics. I appreciated all the alternate costumes, weapons, flashlights, etc. in that, it added to the replay value.
ImageImage

Tenebra

... I meant everything.

Post by Tenebra on Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:09 pm

Hell Descended wrote:
*A remake of Silent Hill:
> An onscreen health bar, and that goes for all remakes of any Silent Hill without one.

I would not like to see that, the less information on the screen the better. Having less information on the screen I think increases the feeling of helplessness and reality. Ok..then you can go to the menu and see how many bullets you have, how much health you have, etc, etc. But when I leave the menu and enter the game itself, I like to feel that I am there without anything or anyone, without any information of any kind .

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Post by Otherworld on Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:27 pm

^ Agreed

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:06 pm

A quote from Masahiro Ito says it all:

Survival horror is best when screen information is minimized. Player should be focused on their surroundings.

Well that's actually a quote from me. I said that just now.

But I imagine he would agree with me.

Here's a quote from George Lucas:

The more unnecessary flashy crap there is on screen, the worse off your game/movie will be.

Well that's actually a quote from me again. Lucas would disagree with me. But Mr. Plinkett would agree. Keep that flashy fancy stuff in a menu.

Executed Well:

And f*cking RE6

There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.

Rodox_Head

itsamistery

Post by Rodox_Head on Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:04 pm

Speaking of flashy and immersion-breaking crap on the screen, I wouldn't want them to do what Homecoming and Downpour did and have the loading screens be a giant quick-tip or the game's logo taking up the whole screen.

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:20 am

Awesome this is awesome OH MY GOD THIS SCENE IS SO AWES---

Screw this game. Let's play another one. Aw yea this boss is COOL THIS BOSS IS SO COO---

Ok this is getting lame. I'll try this one more time. Hey this game looks coo---

Ok. Ok I'm just gonna go take a walk in the woods. Hopefully no load screens in the woo---

Help me.

(Back on topic)

I'd love to see SH1 get a REmake treatment. Modern graphics. Same story. Slight changed level floorplans. New items. New puzzles. Etc etc.
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.

Silent Wanderer

Children of the Korn

Post by Silent Wanderer on Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:27 pm

I would not like to see a remake. :D

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:06 pm

This would probably be Konami's best move. A remake of original Silent Hill. Trouble is I don't trust them to do it correctly...

Oohfakanorus

My Star Sign Is MURDER!

Post by Oohfakanorus on Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:08 pm

I'd like to have if not new and original, a remake of SH.
But even if motion capture software at PS4 peak, it should still have the painting texture of cut scenes.
Remake Silent Hill 3, but make it far more standalone.
What would you do if there was a first person game and it was basically Silent Hill?
If that last question doesn't derail thread!
No results found for oohfakanorus.

clips7

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Post by clips7 on Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:20 pm

jam6i wrote:Awesome this is awesome OH MY GOD THIS SCENE IS SO AWES---

Screw this game. Let's play another one. Aw yea this boss is COOL THIS BOSS IS SO COO---

Ok this is getting lame. I'll try this one more time. Hey this game looks coo---

Ok. Ok I'm just gonna go take a walk in the woods. Hopefully no load screens in the woo---

Help me.

(Back on topic)

I'd love to see SH1 get a REmake treatment. Modern graphics. Same story. Slight changed level floorplans. New items. New puzzles. Etc etc.

Hilarious!!.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ......as far as a remake goes?...I think Otherworld posted a video of a guy that remade SH1 using the Unreal Engine?...not an actual remake, i think it was more like a demo or something......let's just say that I trust that guy to make a remake more than the idiots that actually created the IP itself....no way would i let konami entertain remaking SH1.....

Let me say that i might have felt differently if this was the same konami that was committed to the SH series back in the day...this group that is with konami now?...it feels like nothing but a bunch of corporate heads running the company now (at least in terms of it's gaming division)..
Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding....these are the basic fundamentals of life....

If you can't amaze them with brilliance, baffle them with bulls**t...

Silent Wanderer

Children of the Korn

Post by Silent Wanderer on Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:48 am

But yeah, the point is who trusts Konami to even consider doing a decent job? They were supposed to be winning people's trust back but I still haven't seen anything promising.

I was looking for a vinyl release of the soundtracks some years ago, because, ya know, they have that vintage-y, trip-hop thing going and I always thought it'd be cool to have them in that medium. So, I was happy recently, when I saw we'll get some releases. But then, I remembered the Sounds Box and how it seemed to be the old tracks with some limiter or whatever put on every single one of them to make them louder (I thought they were already pretty loud and quite processed to begin with), which made them almost unbearable to me. I mean, dunno, maybe I'm demented, but I remember feeling it. I don't know... It just seemed like another half-assed job to give an idea of novelty. (I did like the extra tracks) Doesn't matter if they essentially made the product worse... Same with the HD collection. I don't remember them advertising it or whatever, but I felt it. "Why the fuck would you do that?" I mean, I don't know what to say... I also thought about how vinyl is kind of "in" again. And I feel like they're milking and capitalising on trends. Yeah, every company does that, but after their continuous asshole trolling, I feel they've earned a kind of special place in my mind for second-guessing and just seeing evilness, malicious intent and greed in everything. And also how they treated their employees and the guys that made Downpour... And then it hit me again. "I don't want to buy anything from you"

I'm conflicted. Sometimes I think it's over, it's been overstretched (both the franchise and the trolling aftermath) and I should move on... Others I'm thinking it could be fun to see something new, maybe I should give them the benefit of the doubt... It's like someone hurt you and they say they're sorry but they don't seem to really mean it.

I mean they have something that's been liked a lot. People should be joyful of getting anything out of their vaults. But they've managed to make it a major turn-off.

Maybe if they turned into some kind of Studio Ghibli or Remedy or CD Projekt or gave the slightest hint that they trying to not be asses and that they're actually doing something true that they care about and invest in, I'd consider giving them atonement.

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:00 am

As a long time Metal Gear fan, I simply have refused to purchase MGS5. I know I can buy it used so Konami would not profit but I just can't do it.

I have purposefully stayed away from anything Konami has released after the entire PT/Kojima fiasco and I do not think I would purchase anything they publish again.

Even if the hypothetical "Silent Hill 1 REmake" became a thing. It would take "Resident Evil REmake" type quality to make me consider buying it. That I would consider buying used as well.

Bottom line, if Konami won't do it right (and we know they won't) then don't do it at all ....

IMO, just let it rest in peace.

Royal Fizzbin

living that lie

Post by Royal Fizzbin on Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:43 pm

If I’m going to take a stroll down pipedream lane, it would be nice to see a well done (faithful to the originals) remake of 1 - 4 + 0rigins and Shattered Memories.

Reassemble the original creative teams to handle each game being remade. Trust them to make any needed tweaks to the story.

Allocate proper funding for each project, and aim for AAA quality.

Allow the necessary time to properly complete each project.

Since opinions and preferences differ so greatly, options are always nice. Options for old/new voice acting, old/new game controls, old/new camera angles, healthbar/no healthbar on screen. Things like that.

If Homecoming were to be remade, I’d expect some extensive overhauling to liven up level designs and fix some of the monster to level ratio issues. It could also use some rewrites to help story pacing issues as well as better fleshing out some of the characters who otherwise just kind of come and go. They could fix the bizarre item navigation by giving the option to use one of the older SH item nav. systems. Leave combat as is but pear down the weapons to just the combat knife and a service pistol. Maybe make the pistol upgradeable in various ways throughout the game. All the doors that you need to button mash to hack through, simply make them locked doors that you have to find a key or solve a puzzle to open. This would allow for expansion and additional alone time exploration in numerous areas, and open the way to have more notes and messages around that help breathe life into the environment and characters, while adding to the feeling of isolation.

In Downpour… maybe change the part with you controlling Murphy’s shower room assault on Napier, into a simple outside hallway shot of Murphy being let into the shower with Napier, not long after followed by the echoing sounds of Napier’s shouts, then a brief camera cut to blood and water running across the floor and down the shower drain. Also, been mentioned before, but a playable Anne scenario could be a good addition.

Kurosawa

Post by Kurosawa on Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:15 pm

If one of the games would be remade it would have to be the first one. It has the most potential since it is so old and the remake could take advantage of the technology of today. There would surely be more features this way. But when you look at the HD collection, it would most likely end up just a mess. I would rather not see a remake but a new game.

I do not have very high hopes for the series, if we get a new game I am sure it will be too different from the earlier ones for me to like it. This is a problem I have with many games, sequels being too different from the original games. I just lose interest at that point.

Tabris

Post by Tabris on Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:07 pm

The only thing I want, that's not even meant to be overly complicated, is simply a proper Silent Hill 1 remake.

No fuckery. Just make it with modern graphics and don't be an asshat about it.

Rodox_Head

itsamistery

Post by Rodox_Head on Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:31 pm

Just replace all music with Drum and Bass.

All of it.

also maybe playboy shots of Lisa, Maria, Heather, and Eileen as a pre-order bonus.

PinentidHead

An old Silent Hill fan old

Post by PinentidHead on Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:04 am

Tabris wrote:The only thing I want, that's not even meant to be overly complicated, is simply a proper Silent Hill 1 remake.

No fuckery. Just make it with modern graphics and don't be an asshat about it.

Worked for RE1, even with silly story its nice to play for fans an new generations that wish to know the very first one. There is also space for that parallel Cybil story never made and other extras as extra hard level using modern AI for monsters. The controls are not very different from recent SH games, so we could play it as the new ones - better than RE1 remake.

The only one I see not interested is Konami.

Next

Return to Silent Hill General Discussion