Forum for all other Silent Hill-related discussion.

Hell Descended

Homecoming Defense Squad

Yo, can someone go fix this?

Post by Hell Descended on Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:46 am

I got banned from TVTropes a year ago, so I can't fix it, but there's some murky stuff over on the TVTropes pages. If anyone has the time, some pages need correction.

First and foremost, TwinPerfect's dumbass boiler room fire theory is listed in detail on the page for Silent Hill: Origins under Continuity rewrite, along with their stupid "it's all in the real world" bullshit. They also have the Final Boss being Samael under "Giant Space Flea" along with some moronic material about how every monster up until then is from Travis, not anything else (given that Travis never visited Artaud theatre, Caliban would beg to differ). "Non-Appearaing Title" is also out of alphabetical order. Its YMMV page also just has a very shitty, derisive attitude that's likely a product of them too.

The Silent Hill 2 page also still lists Pyramid Head as an explicit part of James' psyche under "Artifact", something long since disproven.

Finally--and this is a taller order--the Fridge page for Silent Hill: Revelation 3D has a massive argument going in a dozen different directions that needs to be cut. One side thinks Pyramid Head was a senseless pander to the base to replace Valtiel, the other insists Valtiel wasn't important to SH3 at all and the only things pointing that he is are dubiously canon (ignore for a second how one of these sides is definitely right and the other is wrong). It's just nasty.

Suggested fix: "Pyramid Head largely replaces Valtiel from SH3, taking over his place as the being who watches over Heather Mason (and, in this iteration, outright defends her) as well as the one who turns valves and gets the implied control over Otherworld shifts. While Valtiel's overall screentime in the source material is small, his role is highly important, particularly towards the end when he dragged Claudia down to birth God, something which is cut from Revelation entirely. Pyramid Head's role replacing Valtiel's doesn't screw up as badly as many would like to admit, given that executioners honoring Valtiel influenced Pyramid Head's existence in the games. Regardless, having him take over Valtiel's role is an odd decision to make when Valtiel's ultimate designs in the game never come to pass in the movie, leaning the argument right back towards the PanderingToTheBase side."

HeatherMasonSH3

Ugh, forget it!

Post by HeatherMasonSH3 on Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:15 pm

Hell Descended wrote:I got banned from TVTropes a year ago, so I can't fix it, but there's some murky stuff over on the TVTropes pages. If anyone has the time, some pages need correction.

First and foremost, TwinPerfect's dumbass boiler room fire theory is listed in detail on the page for Silent Hill: Origins under Continuity rewrite, along with their stupid "it's all in the real world" bullshit. They also have the Final Boss being Samael under "Giant Space Flea" along with some moronic material about how every monster up until then is from Travis, not anything else (given that Travis never visited Artaud theatre, Caliban would beg to differ). "Non-Appearaing Title" is also out of alphabetical order. Its YMMV page also just has a very shitty, derisive attitude that's likely a product of them too.

The Silent Hill 2 page also still lists Pyramid Head as an explicit part of James' psyche under "Artifact", something long since disproven.

Finally--and this is a taller order--the Fridge page for Silent Hill: Revelation 3D has a massive argument going in a dozen different directions that needs to be cut. One side thinks Pyramid Head was a senseless pander to the base to replace Valtiel, the other insists Valtiel wasn't important to SH3 at all and the only things pointing that he is are dubiously canon (ignore for a second how one of these sides is definitely right and the other is wrong). It's just nasty.

Suggested fix: "Pyramid Head largely replaces Valtiel from SH3, taking over his place as the being who watches over Heather Mason (and, in this iteration, outright defends her) as well as the one who turns valves and gets the implied control over Otherworld shifts. While Valtiel's overall screentime in the source material is small, his role is highly important, particularly towards the end when he dragged Claudia down to birth God, something which is cut from Revelation entirely. Pyramid Head's role replacing Valtiel's doesn't screw up as badly as many would like to admit, given that executioners honoring Valtiel influenced Pyramid Head's existence in the games. Regardless, having him take over Valtiel's role is an odd decision to make when Valtiel's ultimate designs in the game never come to pass in the movie, leaning the argument right back towards the PanderingToTheBase side."

Can you link the specific pages on TV Tropes that need fixed and the replacement text?
It's confusing trying to understand the differences without comparing the current page and the suggested edits.

Hell Descended

Homecoming Defense Squad

Post by Hell Descended on Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:42 pm

Apologies for the wait, I didn't realize you can't upload images directly.

Err...I did. The links are to the pages where the faulty information is; the tropes are listed in alphabetical order, so "Giant Space Flea" is in the G's. Here are the parts that need correcting on the Silent Hill Origins page:

And then move a little further down the page to here:

And then go to the end of the page, and place the last listed trope where it belongs, like so:

Once that's done, someone needs to follow this link to its YMMV page and clean things up:

Finally, follow this link the Revelation movie's Fridge page and cut out this highlighted argument:

And in its place, put the "suggested fix".

HeatherMasonSH3

Ugh, forget it!

Post by HeatherMasonSH3 on Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:44 pm

Done.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Y ... illOrigins
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/V ... illOrigins
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/F ... velation3D

Not sure what you wanted me to add for the Fridge page. So just post whatever text, format it to TVTropes though, I really can't be bothered to do their dumb Faux Markdown language myself. If there is any other SH pages that TP has touched feel free to suggest more edits, the only reason they make half the claims they do is to build their crappy brand.

Hell Descended

Homecoming Defense Squad

Post by Hell Descended on Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:13 am

Very much appreciated! I can't imagine how long that shit was sitting there like it belonged.

Return to Silent Hill General Discussion