Forum for all other Silent Hill-related discussion.

HeatherVenus

Silent Hill OST ranking

Post by HeatherVenus on Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:17 pm

How would you rank the Silent Hill games OST? (Sorry if it was already made this thread)

For me : SH2 > SH4 > SH3 > SHH > SH1 > SH0 (haven't played SM and Downpour or even heard their OST so I don't count them)

Oohfakanorus

My Star Sign Is MURDER!

Silent Hill OST ranking

Post by Oohfakanorus on Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:19 pm

I pick bits and pieces from each and can't decide. "Uneternal Sleep" is my all time favourite. Even over the main theme.
But I can't pick SH3 as that leaves out The Last Mariachi from 4.
Damn, I'm going to have to make a list some time.

EDIT: # I want to keep the pace I want to figure it out! # #itsinyourheadnow
No results found for oohfakanorus.

jam6i

Silent Hill OST ranking

Post by jam6i on Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:07 am

SH2>SH3>SH4>Origins>Homecoming>Shattered Memories>SH1>Book of Memories>Downpour

Silent Hill 1's ost is only good in the final few tracks. Yea the scary sounds of SH1 are cool and everything but the ost is mostly loud noises. It just...you know how it is. Yamaoka seemed to come to an understanding of what the series really needed when 2 came around. It's more about that sense of a dream-world than "boo haunted house"

Book of Memories is the better Daniel Licht work of his two. Downpour is just so utterly bland in its musical ambition. Although that's fine, since Licht was stuck with the unenviable task of writing the first post-Yamaoka soundtrack. Definitely felt like he was holding back out of a lack of sureness. BoM was a more cohesive and fully realized work (but even then, it's still not that great anyway).

For Shattered Memories, you got the sense that Yamaoka was running a little dry on inspiration, or maybe drive. Although he did a fantastic job at creating the wintery/isolated/cold tone that the game was aiming for.

Homecoming has a great first handful of tracks, but around track 9 or 10 all the tracks became this tiring, bland, samey sequence. Homecoming OST is front loaded with good, and backloaded with a bunch of tracks (the non vocal tracks)that feel like they came from the cutting room floor.

2, 3, 4 and Origins. That's where the gold is.
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Silent Hill OST ranking

Post by Otherworld on Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:40 am

For me:

SH2>SH3>SH4>Shattered Memories>Origins>Homecoming>SH1>Downpour>Book of Memories

Tabris

Silent Hill OST ranking

Post by Tabris on Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:20 pm

SH3>SH4(both versions equally)>SH2>Origins>Shattered Memories>Homecoming>Downpour>SH1

Can't really speak for Book of Memories. I do love all the OSTs a lot though. I listen to them all often.

Royal Fizzbin

living that lie

Silent Hill OST ranking

Post by Royal Fizzbin on Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:09 pm

jam6i pretty much nailed my thoughts on the OST rankings.

Not to beat a dead horse, or derail the topic, but if Silent Hills had been allowed to be a thing, it would have been interesting to see who would have done the OST and what musical direction it would have gone in. Respect to Daniel Licht and all, but his work for this franchise wasn’t doing it for me.

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Silent Hill OST ranking

Post by Otherworld on Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:38 am

Royal Fizzbin wrote:jam6i pretty much nailed my thoughts on the OST rankings.

Not to beat a dead horse, or derail the topic, but if Silent Hills had been allowed to be a thing, it would have been interesting to see who would have done the OST and what musical direction it would have gone in. Respect to Daniel Licht and all, but his work for this franchise wasn’t doing it for me.

I am pretty sure, as stated below, that we would have seen a couple of names join Kojima's team.

Masahiro Ito stated that he would be willing to work on another Silent Hill game with Hideo Kojima. Akira Yamaoka said he would be "happy" to compose music as well.

Kurosawa

Silent Hill OST ranking

Post by Kurosawa on Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:25 am

SH2 has the best music but the first game has the most frightening soundtrack.

Hell Descended

Homecoming Defense Squad

Silent Hill OST ranking

Post by Hell Descended on Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:09 pm

I find absolutely wonderful songs in every OST, so I just have to judge by which OSTs produce the most songs that I feel that for. Silent Hills 2 and Homecoming are in the lead there; "Promise", "Theme of Laura", etc, alongside more haunting tracks like Snow Flower, Cold Blood, and Witchcraft. 4 is next, then 3, then Origins, and then the rest.

HeatherMasonSH3

Ugh, forget it!

Silent Hill OST ranking

Post by HeatherMasonSH3 on Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:24 am

SH2 > SH3 > SH4 > SH5 > SH:O > SH:SM > SH1

Silent Hill 1 has a good soundscape but listening to it as an OST it doesn't work as well as the others.

Tabris

Silent Hill OST ranking

Post by Tabris on Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:10 am

Yea, the Silent Hill 1 OST is amazing and has some great quiet ambient tracks. But the relentless industrial abrasiveness makes it difficult to just sit down and listen to it.

And this is coming from someone who listens to a lot of industrial music hah.

Rodox_Head

Just here for the chit-chat

Silent Hill OST ranking

Post by Rodox_Head on Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:46 pm

jam6i wrote:2, 3, 4 and Origins. That's where the gold is.

Pretty much what I was going to say, but I will add that if you're going to check out the 0rigins OST then the complete OST compiled by Fungo is a must listen.

http://www.silenthillmemories.net/music/sh0_csts_en.htm
"Well I like to know what I'm doing when I do it, and I do what I'm doing 'cause I don't know what to do when I'm not doing it"

Tabris

Silent Hill OST ranking

Post by Tabris on Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:52 pm

Julian Candy wrote:
jam6i wrote:2, 3, 4 and Origins. That's where the gold is.

Pretty much what I was going to say, but I will add that if you're going to check out the 0rigins OST then the complete OST compiled by Fungo is a must listen.

http://www.silenthillmemories.net/music/sh0_csts_en.htm

Holy shit, forgot about these rips. This just made my night. Thanks for posting this.

The ambient OST to Origins is one of the reasons I've played it a million times. The music in the fogworld motel area is pure nostalgic bliss for me.

Return to Silent Hill General Discussion