Forum for all other Silent Hill-related discussion.

july

Your first silent hill

Post by july on Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:19 am

So here you can write, what was your first silent hill. What silent hill start become your favorite, after some time and your impression from first to the last. And even your impression from the first play through to the second and the last. :ninja:

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Your first silent hill

Post by Otherworld on Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:36 am

1st Silent Hill - Silent Hill. I rented it form a video store so that should show my age.

Favourite Silent Hill - Silent Hill 2

Does PT fall into the realm of being a Silent Hill game ?

Konami has destroyed this ip.... that is the impression I have now ....

Oohfakanorus

My Star Sign Is MURDER!

Your first silent hill

Post by Oohfakanorus on Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:02 am

Although I was playing very, very casually, a PSOne, I actually missed out on both Demo, Magazine articles and release of Silent Hill!
I didn't really get into the series until 2007. On another non aGaming forum, a thread about it sparked my interest.
Here's something I just realised typing this post...
I asked for advice instead of just choosing at random and it's hard to believe but the exact possibility and direction met where I was today and touched each other.
I loved Silent Hill 2 I went looking for second hand DVDs and saw the first film. I loved it a bit but Christmas 2008 with Silent Hill 3 which made me distract it enough to take and up!pad an image of them displayed.
My friend was right! I do pile stuff on a shelf like one of my friends did!...
This is the link at exact weakest moment cross the life of me who asked advice on a forum to the one who just picked one and was more assertive to carry it on and look at the magnificent stacked order!

[img][url=http://s294.photobucket.com/user/Defeatment/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160907_133700_zpsahnkawym.jpg.html]
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm88 ... nkawym.jpg[/img][/url][/img]
No results found for oohfakanorus.

clips7

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Your first silent hill

Post by clips7 on Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:50 pm

My 1st SH was the very first one...and I remember seeing an advertisement for it what might have been the PSM magazine back in the day. Initially I thought "meh...this is going to be another RE knockoff" little did I know that it was sooo much more than that.

That was the first game that ever made my palms sweat and at times just had to stop because of how intense it was....some of the things that 1st game did in terms of technical and gameplay mechanics was revolutionary.. I believe that was the first game to ever implement that flashlight flare technology and the streaming of environments maxed out the psx performance capabilities.

My favorite?....it's a toss up between 2 & 4..... I can say without a doubt that SH3 sported the best visuals....

Overall impression?...the series took a bit of a nosedive during the PS3/Xbox 360 era....Homecoming - Downpour (Downpour was step in the right direction) then we had the incredible P.T. after a series of mediocre titles and konami decides to cancel the entire project, disrespect one of the great pioneers in this industry in Kojima, then take his franchise and turn it into a sad redention of "Operation Raccoon City"...... :skeptical:
Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding....these are the basic fundamentals of life....

If you can't amaze them with brilliance, baffle them with bulls**t...

Kurosawa

Your first silent hill

Post by Kurosawa on Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:58 am

My first game was the first title. I discovered the series very late even though I had known the games for more than a decade.

Johnny_Doe

Your first silent hill

Post by Johnny_Doe on Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:54 pm

Silent Hill 1 was also the first one for me. I couldn't afford Playstation back then, so I visited a friend of mine who had it. He said that he couldn't find his way out in this game so I asked him if I could give it a try. I remember some vague and dark atmosphere of it. The town seemed endless, holding lots of secrets and untold stories. I felt more and more curious, especially with Cybill gone to call in some reinforcements, leaving me to explore the whole thing by myself. I like the way the game both pushes you through the town with its messages and hints lying around and still leaves some space for thinking and free exploration.

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Your first silent hill

Post by nur_ein_tier on Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:05 pm

Done this before, but SH1, a few months after it came out. My dad saw it in the used game rack for $4 at the local video store and bought it, decided his eyesight wasn't good enough to get through the dark parts in the school, and told me to play it. It's still my favorite one.

I thought it was excellent. Sure, the graphics don't stand up today, but at the time, they were great. They used them the best they could to make things creepy and dark. I thought it was damned near perfect.
ImageImageImage

Tabris

Your first silent hill

Post by Tabris on Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:06 am

My first is kind of in two parts.

I rented Silent Hill 1 and Syphon Filter when they were new at Blockbuster when I was about 14ish. Silent Hill 1 had some hype to it and I was heavy into Resident Evil 1 and 2. I didn't really know of psychological horror the way Silent Hill did it. I figured it was going to be just another virus or something. I really love how wrong I was. Hilariously enough, I stopped playing in the school just before the Otherworld and never went back at the time. Played Syphon Filter instead.

My real first Silent Hill was SH2 when it first came out. Seen a review in EGM that said this game WILL scare you. Took that as a challenge, bought it and proceeded to mindfuck myself for a good 6 months or so and it changed my life.

Favorite is without a doubt Silent Hill 2.
Last edited by Tabris on Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:25 pm.

Rodox_Head

Just here for the chit-chat

Your first silent hill

Post by Rodox_Head on Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:38 pm

My very first glimpse of Silent Hill was from a PS2 demo disk which contained a demo for SH4.

My first half-experience with Silent Hill was when my sister bought SH3 and she would play it while I watched and occasionally went to the internet for guides. To me 3 is the scariest.

My first full experience was with SH2. I bought it for my sister but she didn't get to playing it so I took it in after just getting into the series some four years ago. That was when the series got its hooks into me.
"Well I like to know what I'm doing when I do it, and I do what I'm doing 'cause I don't know what to do when I'm not doing it"

ashatteredmemory

Lost in the snow

Your first silent hill

Post by ashatteredmemory on Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:44 am

Technically, my first Silent Hill was the SH movie. I was instantly entranced by the cool shots and camera angles, the fact there was some psychology behind the monsters instead of generic monsters, and the fact it didn't rely on jumpscares. Every scary thing was built up nicely, wasn't made from shock horror (well, except the holy gory stuff at the end), and was brought with a good soundtrack.

And thus, I ventured into the misty town of Silent Hill.
My first Silent Hill game was Silent Hill :P. I played it on an emulator a year after I discovered the movie. God, did it bring me shivers. Despite the awful graphics from those times and the really awkward dialogues, it still holds up quite okay. Thanks to a somewhat decent gameplay, a good story, very well done cinematography (or how would you call it in a game? ) and enough material to make you think.

It fullfiled everything I needed from a horror game or movie. It was intense, it was extremely atmospheric, it had good wtf moments without being random, the monsters felt like they actually came from another world, but still recognisable enough to still feel connected to this world.

And I was glad to see those trends to be continued in all of the series' games. And thus, a Silent Hill could welcome another denizen.
"I told you, I'm not going back... so you might as well shoot me" - Murphy

Otherworld

Your first silent hill

Post by Otherworld on Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:51 am

For as much flak the movie has taken, I have read on so many occasions that, like above, it is the movie that brought a nice chunk of fans to this fandom.

You gotta give props to the movie for that!

Alistair

Swooping Is Bad!

Your first silent hill

Post by Alistair on Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:15 pm

Otherworld wrote:For as much flak the movie has taken, I have read on so many occasions that, like above, it is the movie that brought a nice chunk of fans to this fandom.

You gotta give props to the movie for that!

Yeah...I still remember seeing all the advertisements amd website for it....I was so excited! I only wish I had a chance to watch it in theaters.

Anyway, I lile the way Julian set-up his post so I will something similar. I've known about Silent Hill for ages now...way back in the day I remember seeing the advertisement for the first game in Metal Gear Solid and wishing I could play it. It's probably part of the reason why I like Cybil so much, haha.

Anyway my first glimpse into the series was Silent Hill 2. My aunts, uncles, and parents were (surprisingly) huge gamers back then and loved horror. One of the games they had was Silent Hill 2. I remeber being very exicted when I got the chance to try it out myself. I didn't get very far, only up to Angela. Still...I loved looking at the design of the case and reading through the instruction manual. (Such a shame they aren't as creative anymore...with manuals being nonexistent...)

My first half-experience with the series was a demo of Silent Hill 4 on PS2. I terrified me and I immediately turned off the system when the ghosts appeared! It caught my interest but I didn't go out of my way to play the series just yet...my interest in survival horror didn't come until a bit later when I played Haunting Ground for the first time.

My first full experience was with Silent Hill 3. I got it as a birthday gift and was immediately hooked. After that, I just had to play the rest of the games! I still remeber being so scared by the game and having to push myself through it and face my fears. I still love playing these games to this day!

But yeah, it was the movie that really made me become interested in the series and began my love for it. I will always cherish it as it remains my favorite film to this day. <3

...I just wish the film's website still existed...:(

what

From behind the veil

Your first silent hill

Post by what on Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:13 pm

clips7 wrote:My 1st SH was the very first one...and I remember seeing an advertisement for it what might have been the PSM magazine back in the day. Initially I thought "meh...this is going to be another RE knockoff" little did I know that it was sooo much more than that.

That's almost exactly how I thought of it too, at first. I didn't buy it until Apr. 2001, and only because I thought it would be another RE knockoff (but perhaps a really good one). This was not too far removed from my semi-obsessive period with the original RE trilogy. I bought it used from a funcoland for $9 in a plastic sleeve.

When I played it the first time, I did so knowing virtually nothing about the story or what sort of experience I should expect beyond the core gameplay, and what little I did know was from a single review, perhaps from PSM (but I'm not sure it was). So, I start the game, and I'm going down this alley chasing my kid and suddenly everything gets dark and very red and confusing and loud and terrifying. The love affair began in that instant.

It's interesting because my wife is also a huge SH fan (indeed, it was our common interest which brought us together), but she played SH2 first and as a result, she finds the first game to be hopelessly ugly and unplayable. It definitely has not aged well in some important ways. It's kind of a shame though. The tremendous impact of that opening segment defined so much of how I got into this series, told me right away that this was no stupid clone but a rusty nail bat that the game intends to use on you as a dildo. I can't exactly imagine what it would be like to enter the series at any other point, even though I hold the second game in the highest regard. It is my firm personal belief that Silent Hill virgins should pop their cherry as I popped mine because that is only right and proper.

PinentidHead

An old Silent Hill fan old

Your first silent hill

Post by PinentidHead on Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:25 pm

nur_ein_tier wrote:Done this before, but SH1, a few months after it came out. My dad saw it in the used game rack for $4 at the local video store and bought it, decided his eyesight wasn't good enough to get through the dark parts in the school, and told me to play it. It's still my favorite one.

I thought it was excellent. Sure, the graphics don't stand up today, but at the time, they were great. They used them the best they could to make things creepy and dark. I thought it was damned near perfect.

After seen the movie, I decided to play it. We bought a PSOne for my son and I was thinking about some adult game, uhn. I have a PS3 version and still like to play it. However, the graphics were made for CRT TV, so unless you have a very well configured emulator, you will have a poor image. But is still impressive the effect they achive with so little GPU capacity, better than any of REs.

Still my favourite and I hope someday it will be remaked. To bad there is not a pool here, but as I can see, SH1 is the choice of most of us.

Otherworld

Your first silent hill

Post by Otherworld on Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:00 pm

what wrote:
clips7 wrote:My 1st SH was the very first one...and I remember seeing an advertisement for it what might have been the PSM magazine back in the day. Initially I thought "meh...this is going to be another RE knockoff" little did I know that it was sooo much more than that.

That's almost exactly how I thought of it too, at first. I didn't buy it until Apr. 2001, and only because I thought it would be another RE knockoff (but perhaps a really good one). This was not too far removed from my semi-obsessive period with the original RE trilogy. I bought it used from a funcoland for $9 in a plastic sleeve.

When I played it the first time, I did so knowing virtually nothing about the story or what sort of experience I should expect beyond the core gameplay, and what little I did know was from a single review, perhaps from PSM (but I'm not sure it was). So, I start the game, and I'm going down this alley chasing my kid and suddenly everything gets dark and very red and confusing and loud and terrifying. The love affair began in that instant.

It's interesting because my wife is also a huge SH fan (indeed, it was our common interest which brought us together), but she played SH2 first and as a result, she finds the first game to be hopelessly ugly and unplayable. It definitely has not aged well in some important ways. It's kind of a shame though. The tremendous impact of that opening segment defined so much of how I got into this series, told me right away that this was no stupid clone but a rusty nail bat that the game intends to use on you as a dildo. I can't exactly imagine what it would be like to enter the series at any other point, even though I hold the second game in the highest regard. It is my firm personal belief that Silent Hill virgins should pop their cherry as I popped mine because that is only right and proper.

Agreed, if anyone asked me where to begin, I would undoubtedly direct them to the PS1 version Silent Hill.

It was something very special indeed.

DipDop

Your first silent hill

Post by DipDop on Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:06 pm

Around 2010 I started getting into horror, and decided to check out the Silent Hill series as I had heard about it a lot over the years. I just happened to get a PSP around the same time and bought 0rigins at Walmart for 10$. I know many don't like that game, but I fell in absolute love with the series right then and there. Lotta fond memories with that game.

After that, I think the order I played them was...1, 2, 3, HC, 4, and SM. Then of course, Downpour.

To this day, my favorite is the 1st game. Not sure why, but I've never had an experience in gaming like I have with that game again. It was absolutely awesome. :p

Giromancy

Your first silent hill

Post by Giromancy on Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:48 pm

Sorry for any misspelled words:

I been playing horror games since 94/95 i guess, the first game that took me into the horror games it was one called Ecstatica for PC, for some reason this game in particular made a click in my head, and made me got interested in horror games in general, then i remember playing Darkseed, SystemShock, Alone in the dark 1,2,3 etc and I became a fan of this genre, since then i was playing all kind of horror games.

The first SH that i played was SH1 in 99, a few months later of the US release, i met SH through a friend of mine, he told me that he bought a new horror game and it was incredibly scary and i must to give a try, that same day i went to his house and we played for a long time, i was amazed on the atmosphere, music, camera angles that this game had, that i couldn't believe it, not even RE cause me this kind of horror feeling, so the next day i decided to grab a copy for myself. Since that day until now i became a huge fan of SH, specially SH1.

The order i played each game was in order of release, so SH1,2,3,4 etc.
==================================
Image Image Image
==================================

Another

really big loser

Your first silent hill

Post by Another on Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:41 pm

I seem to be a little younger that a lot of people on this website, so I didn't play my first horror game (Haunting Ground) until about 2011 with I was in 8th grade. From there I fell in love with PS2 horror games and went on to play Resident Evil 4, Fatal Frame 1 and 2, Clock Tower 3, and then finally Silent Hill 2. I played the series a little out of order (2,3,1,4,Downpour, Homecoming, SM, Origins and then that one PSVita title we don't talk about along with one of the older mobile games).
It's hard to pick a favorite game. 2 has a special place in my heart since it was the game that introduced me to the series and I absolutely adore the reading of Mary's full letter at the end. I also love almost everything about 3 (Heather, the color scheme, the atmosphere, etc.)

Otherworld

Your first silent hill

Post by Otherworld on Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:22 am

Another wrote:I seem to be a little younger that a lot of people on this website, so I didn't play my first horror game (Haunting Ground) until about 2011 with I was in 8th grade. From there I fell in love with PS2 horror games and went on to play Resident Evil 4, Fatal Frame 1 and 2, Clock Tower 3, and then finally Silent Hill 2. I played the series a little out of order (2,3,1,4,Downpour, Homecoming, SM, Origins and then that one PSVita title we don't talk about along with one of the older mobile games).
It's hard to pick a favorite game. 2 has a special place in my heart since it was the game that introduced me to the series and I absolutely adore the reading of Mary's full letter at the end. I also love almost everything about 3 (Heather, the color scheme, the atmosphere, etc.)

Great to read how you were still able (and made the effort to) enjoy all of those classic games on the platform they were originally released on. It rare nowadays...

IMO there is no other way......

This is making me feel old ....

Alistair

Swooping Is Bad!

Your first silent hill

Post by Alistair on Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:40 am

Another wrote:I seem to be a little younger that a lot of people on this website, so I didn't play my first horror game (Haunting Ground) until about 2011 with I was in 8th grade.

Ah, just like me! I was a bit younger when I first played Haunting Ground over a decade ago, but it certainly was a good place to start exploring survival horror games. :)
My memory might be a bit off, but I believe I played Resident Evil Zero as my next horror game before settling into Silent Hill 3.
But I totally understand how you feel about Silent Hill 2! For me, that would be both Silent Hill 4 and 3 as they were both my "first" experience with the series.

Return to Silent Hill General Discussion