Forum for all other Silent Hill-related discussion.

what

From behind the veil

The OFFICIAL State of Silent Hill/Survival Horror thread,II

Post by what on Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:04 pm

Guerilla wrote:Second off, people need to chill the hell out with the "no gamez" complaints. While I do agree both systems needed more launch titles, the libraries of both aren't going to grow over night. These systems haven't even been out a full year yet. Remember the PS2? That system that's widely lauded for its tremendous game library? Remember the first yeae the PS2 was on the market? Plenty of complaints about a thin library. But as we see now in hindsight the gamws came. 2001 dropped and plenty of games such as FFX, Grand Theft Auto 3, Halo, etc. hit the scene and got people interested. The games will come. People just need to chill and be patient. And the PS4's first year and overall lineup is eoooooooooooooons better than the PS3's was in its first year. A night and day difference.

This is definitely true. As far as I can remember, the Super NES, N64 and the Dreamcast were the only three consoles that had stellar games right from the first minute.

Guerilla

Post by Guerilla on Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:31 pm

Not sure why I listed Halo. I started out thinking of PS2's library but later on in that post just thought of all consoles that gen as a whole. Anyway, point is only a few systems in the industry had a strong launch lineup out the gate. And history has shown you definitely can't judge systems based on launch titles or their first years. I had no plans to get a PS3 when it came out. Fast forward several years later and it's the system I've played the most out of that particular bunch of consoles. And the PS3 had a disastrous launch. And look at Dreamcast. Sold tremendously well and had a bunch of great games but eventually went to pasture due to Sega's financial blunders over that past decade.

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Post by Otherworld on Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:43 pm

Don't get me wrong. I have the patience to wait for titles. I am a PS+ subscriber. I have been for years so I have a lot of games ready to play at my fingers tips. The "no gamez" complaint is partly my fault as well. I am not a FPS fan. If I was I would have a lot more games to choose from.

At least The Last of Us will keep me busy for a while.

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:08 pm

I actually wait a minimum of 2 years before I plunge in and get a new console, since it's a matter of fact that new consoles rarely launch with a worthwhile lineup. It takes at least 2 years before the library is such that a purchase is worth it. I didn't have a ps2 until 2003, and I didn't have a ps3 until 2011. My wait for a ps3 was pretty long, but that's because I was too busy enjoying the stellar games still available (and being made) for the ps2. I waited almost until the ps3 reached old age before I got it.

Yea, I got an Xbox 360 around 2008...and another one in 2009 damn rrod...but I waited for the ps3. It was totally worth the lowered price. And when I got it, there was a stellar library to back it up.

Point is, I think most people who get new consoles like on launch day or even within the first year are kinda tossing their cash away just to have the newest thing. Like, even now the bigger titles are getting ps3 versions...and since I'm not a graphics nut, I don't care to throw down 500$ for slightly better graphics when I can just buy the ps3 version and have the same amount of fun.

It'll be at least 2015 before I get a ps4...even later if there aren't any really great games. Just freakin' wait for the games, ya know? What's the point of an expensive console if you can really only enjoy like 3 or 4 games?

It's also a fact that the launch lineup titles generally harness only a portion of the console's power because developers are still learning how to develops for the console. 2 years is about the right time period for games to start coming out that really harness the console's technical potentials.

I'll stick with ps3 at least until 2015 or 2016. They'll continue to provide ps3 versions of ps4 games for awhile.

Yea, if you didn't notice, I didn't mention the xbone. That's because Xbox 360 left a sour taste in my mouth. I have no desire to mess with Microsoft anymore.
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:35 pm

Whether or not a system has a "good enough" game library at launch or a year later is entirely subjective (or at least mostly, financials paint another picture, but that's another story.) PS2 didn't have as bad a start as people like to claim. Within a year, it had a very solid lineup with a ton of great games to choose from. PS1 had an okay start, within a year, had tons of great games. People called doom & gloom on the PS3 and the collective internet shat all over Sony for years, but look what happened. They struck back, caught up, and then overcame the competition. Notice a pattern, etc.

Point being that if people want good games, all they have to do is look... or think. I'm sure there's people like me who rarely buy games regardless of platform simply because there's barely anything that interests me. But others need to think on a somewhat deeper level; "Does the platform have a good enough number of games for me to justify investing in it? If yes, pass Go and collect $999. If no, gg no re and move on."

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:33 pm

^Funny thing, this is the first console I have purchased at launch. Only reason was the incredible deal I got. I took advantage of it and was very happy to pay a small amount of $ out of pocket to get the console on launch day. I would do it again in a heart beat. No regrets as far as picking up the console.

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:50 pm

The RE1 Re-Remake (or REmaster as I'm calling it) probably is gonna end up being my reason for a PS4 purchase.

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:05 pm

I honestly forgot how much I enjoyed playing The Last of Us. I really enjoy the opening scenes when the infected take over.
Last edited by Otherworld on Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:58 pm.

clips7

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Post by clips7 on Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:31 am

I can wait for the games...my point is that every other game being mentioned atm is an indy title and if you look further down the road...even into 2015, you'll find that the the list is still lackluster, by the time these consoles hit their stride they will talking about ps5 and the next xbox.

I was one of the few that thought the ps3/360 generation could've gone on for a couple of more years and with dev's already knowing those systems inside and out, we could have gotten some incredible games and at half the cost to make these games on the PS4/Xbox systems...Last of Us..Tomb Raider...Remember Me <----that game lacked a bit in the combat area but the art design was incredible. It's true that you get the best games at the end of a console cycle, but those systems today can still deliver some sweet visuals.

I just remember being a bit more excited seeing new and interesting ip's coming down the pike last gen...here i''m just seeing alot of push for these indy titles..i want to see some new horror titles, but not from an indy firm, i want to see some new ips, but not all multiplayer or FPS's...i understand that there's a trend happening and it involves...multiplayer/mmo's and FPS's...it seems folks are sticking to what works for them or what is selling now....if it is something different or new it goes the way of indy or kickstarter.

I guess it's just a preference on my part as i'm not fan of FPS's or multiplayer based games....or mmo's
Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding....these are the basic fundamentals of life....

If you can't amaze them with brilliance, baffle them with bulls**t...

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:22 pm

The State of Silent Hill on August 11th:

The State of Silent Hill on August 12th:

I kid, I kid. It's too early for such a claim. But eh. Whatever.

Xuchilbara

The Red God

Post by Xuchilbara on Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:51 pm

Somebody has been using gameshark codes on the second pic.
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)

Borg

Ghost

Post by Borg on Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:47 pm

Because of how much Phoenix Down health and MP gives?

Xuchilbara

The Red God

Post by Xuchilbara on Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:00 pm

999 and 9999 everything.
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)

Borg

Ghost

Post by Borg on Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:15 pm

Ah yes, that as well.

clips7

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Post by clips7 on Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:30 am

So...is survival horror making a comeback yet? or is it too early to tell?

From the top of my head games i can think of coming down the pike are...

The Evil Within

The next SH

Until Dawn

The next Dead Island?

Dying Light

RE7 (this is a given)

Dead Space 4? (crosses fingers)

SOMA

RE-make (remastered edition) actually looking forward to this more than RE7

I'm sure there a slew of Indy games as well, but i'm mainly talking about horror games dropping on consoles...
Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding....these are the basic fundamentals of life....

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:36 am

It seems like the Indies are in part responsible for the resurgence. They have done a great job filling the void and also showing the devs that there is still a solid fan base out there.

clips7

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Post by clips7 on Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:45 am

Otherworld wrote:It seems like the Indies are in part responsible for the resurgence. They have done a great job filling the void and also showing the devs that there is still a solid fan base out there.

I absolutely agree with this...even tho i'm not a fan of most indy horror joints, they are certainly responsible for the newfound interest. It wasn't too long ago when i was complaining that every other game that was coming out was a 1st person generic "call of duty" shooter or generic zombie shooter gorefest.

The indy sector quietly made those indy horror titles that built up quite a following and that caught the attention of a few of the bigger publishers in the industry. I hope the trend continues...i'm really hyped for the next SH and Until Dawn...i'm still interested in "the evil within" but i'm still somewhat skeptical about that title...

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:06 am

The evil within is just over a month away from release. I will be watching the reviews closely.

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:59 am

I watched the Bethesda special preview for Evil Within.

Was it scary? Hell no.

But did it have a classic old school horror feel to it? Hell yea it did. At least for the section that was shown. It was very slowly paced, with just a small number of enemy encounters in the entire hour.

However there was one very huge f*cking flaw with what I saw: the aiming of firearms. Literally, whenever whatshisface demonslayer Cartwright (whatever the character name is) would aim his gun at an enemy, the camera would zoom in to almost comical depths. It would zoom so far in, it pretty much zoomed past the enemy. The gun itself moves so far off to the left (because of the zooming) I almost disappears from the screen. This all makes actually aiming and shooting an enemy damn near impossible. Watch the video. The player doesn't suck at shooting...the game's zooming mechanic sucks. So much balls. It was the first time I had seen this in action and my thought was "why the f*ck is it zooming in so much? That's...that's awful."

Link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq5PIkITgaU

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:12 am

Funny thing is he died multiple times because of that aiming screen

PreviousNext

Return to Silent Hill General Discussion