Forum for all other Silent Hill-related discussion.

jam6i

The OFFICIAL State of Silent Hill/Survival Horror thread,II

Post by jam6i on Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:03 am

The resurgence of zombie popularity totally started before the Walking Dead, but it seems like TWD helped solidify the resurgence as full blown fact. Everyone starts talking about zombies...zombies this, zombies that. I think we've all heard someone say (or even said ourselves) "yea man, the show's not about the zombies, it's about how these characters survive in a world of zombies. It's about the characters, man".

The show kinda deflated the zombie hype. The show is still good, but it's not as good as it was when it began. They're gonna need to wrap it up soon, lest they burn out and awkwardly get snuffed out without resolution.

Breaking Bad did a lot of things right, and one of those things was admitting that, regardless of how popular and smart your show is, you have to have an ending. It doesn't matter how great you are, you need an ending sooner or later. I don't want to see TWD become The X-files, that show that you know is still on 5 years after it stopped being good, and you reluctantly turn it on and force a smile while watching it knowing it should have died long ago.
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.

KiramidHead

Little Bamboo

Post by KiramidHead on Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:48 pm

devil hunter wrote:
KiramidHead wrote: I recently watched Fulci's The Beyond, which is a nice example of that.

Have you seen his City of the Living Dead? Teleporting zombies that squeeze heads and make you throw up intestines O_O

I have it, but I haven't watched it yet.

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Post by Otherworld on Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:43 pm

jam6i wrote:The resurgence of zombie popularity totally started before the Walking Dead, but it seems like TWD helped solidify the resurgence as full blown fact. Everyone starts talking about zombies...zombies this, zombies that. I think we've all heard someone say (or even said ourselves) "yea man, the show's not about the zombies, it's about how these characters survive in a world of zombies. It's about the characters, man".

The show kinda deflated the zombie hype. The show is still good, but it's not as good as it was when it began. They're gonna need to wrap it up soon, lest they burn out and awkwardly get snuffed out without resolution.

Breaking Bad did a lot of things right, and one of those things was admitting that, regardless of how popular and smart your show is, you have to have an ending. It doesn't matter how great you are, you need an ending sooner or later. I don't want to see TWD become The X-files, that show that you know is still on 5 years after it stopped being good, and you reluctantly turn it on and force a smile while watching it knowing it should have died long ago.

Agreed, in a world like that sooner or later everyone must die. That is truly the only way to finish the series off. There will always be opportunities to bring back the show with new characters but the existing ones now have to die. If not it will loose it's sense of authenticity.

Xuchilbara

The Red God

Post by Xuchilbara on Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:26 pm

TWD isn't going to end soon. It barely has scratched the surface of the comics, lol.
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:13 pm

That's why the show is in such a predicament. Comics and tv shows work in two completely different sets of rules. A comic book universe can span decades and it would be fine...but a tv show has to deal with real world issues such as diminishing audience interest as well as the aging of it's actors.

They hype train is still in full swing, but you can be damn sure that it won't be as popular in 4/5 years when the general audience has moved on and the zombie fad has faded.

It's true they haven't even scratched the surface of the comics, and that's the point. It's been five seasons now...and they've only just begun? There's no way they can keep up the show for 10+ more years. That's outrageous.
Last edited by jam6i on Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:19 pm.

Xuchilbara

The Red God

Post by Xuchilbara on Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:15 pm

They've already covered that by changing a bunch of shit from the comics. Darrell isn't even a character that exists in the comics. I'm pretty sure they're well aware. ;)

KiramidHead

Little Bamboo

Post by KiramidHead on Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:24 am

I still enjoy the show whenever I watch it, but my enthusiasm has been dampened ever since the season three finale.

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:20 am

Darryl is the single reason a good chunk of the viewers even care. I know someone personally who loses their sh*t whenever potential spoilers come out that are like "a major death is coming" and she's all "OH MY GOD IT'S DARRYL I KNOW IT, IF THEY KILL HIM IM NOT WATCHING ANYMORE".

I'm not exaggerating. Although I do believe that she would probably continue to watch it since she still likes the other characters too. But I know there are die-hard Darryl fanatics who would bomb the AMC offices if they allowed Darryl to be killed off. And really, I don't see a need for them to do that, at least yet. His character isn't in a position where his death would serve some purpose to an overall character arc.

Unlike....(spoilers for the show)

REVEAL SPOILER
Herschel's decapitation came at an appropriate time for his character arc. He had been a religious man, and over the last season or so had started to doubt both his faith and whether any of his wisdom to Rick would serve some better purpose to the cmmunity. He started doubting Rick could lead anymore. Yet right at the very end when Rick was desperately trying to negotiate with the Governor into a compromise, that everyone could share the prison and no one had to die, Herschel's purpose had been fulfilled. He had brought Rick out of the slump he had been in and realized his words would live on...and then that bastard cut his head off. Herschel's arc had been completed, from a man of faith, down to the pits, and back up to faith again, his own little journey.

That's why Darryl or any of the main characters can't die yet. They need to be put in a position where their respective death has meaning both to the greater story as well as to complete their own personal dramatic arc.

If I had to place bets on the next to go, it would be either Glen or Beth. Glen is the one who has probably come closest to completing an arc, and Beth is (apologies to Beth fans) kinda useless. She hasn't done much that really mattered besides "sing" and "hold a baby"

clips7

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Post by clips7 on Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:27 am

I think the zombie surge started with the movie 28 days later...i think that was the first movie that implemented fast moving zombies, then from there..i think RE4 jumped on the bandwagon with their ganados. It really is pathetic how every game feels like it needs to have zombies in it..call of duty, red dead redemption, and a whole host of other games..

When i go to gaming sites like ign or gametrailers...the trend i'm seeing overall is online gaming and multiplayer and outside of that the slew of games coming down the pike are fantasy-based, dungeon and dragons types of games (not my style)...the only game i might pick up is called the Witcher?...but other than that, there are only a few games, that i'm interested in.

Again years ago, when a new horror game would be announced, at least the game would have some decent funding. I'm talking games like..Cold Fear, Run Like Hell, Obscure...it seemed that even small to mid-size firms still took risks on entering the horror genre. Now?...it seems firms are only interested in creating generic 1st person shooters that are implemented with online or multiplayer mechanics. Seriously..i went to gametrailers and all i'm seeing is a bunch of indy games or games commited to mobile phones.

I understand that consoles had to evolve, but at the end of the day...it's about creating games..not watching tv, or being on social media sites...it's a bit scary as to what the state of gaming might actually transistion to, but we got a taste very early on with that Xbox1 game restriction scenario....so much legal complicated redtape bulls**t during that fiasco....i'm sure sony probably had similar plans, but buried it as soon as it saw the xbox backlash...i'm sure both companies will revisit that crap at some point and when they do, that will be it for me.
Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding....these are the basic fundamentals of life....

If you can't amaze them with brilliance, baffle them with bulls**t...

Oohfakanorus

My Star Sign Is MURDER!

Post by Oohfakanorus on Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:33 am

Death, taxes, zombie resurgence and the continuing appearance of Beth! Oh and Carl. Sorry, CAARWWL!!
The final few episodes of the last ever series will be heartbreaking. But can the show survive if someone like Rick left?
I loved in the last series we had the group flee and we had a series of episodes showing a couple of them surviving.

I'd love to see an entire series set after the first outbreak or even later, where every episode is a different character who dies at the end. It could even be years after the outbreak. The point is each episode is a different perspective.
Of course, the Producers would be all "Are you fucking nuts?!! A TV show where the main character changes every week? How would the 18-35 demographic get that concept?" :roll: :lol:
No results found for oohfakanorus.

Alistair

Swooping Is Bad!

Post by Alistair on Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:47 pm

jam6i wrote:If I had to place bets on the next to go, it would be either Glen or Beth. Glen is the one who has probably come closest to completing an arc, and Beth is (apologies to Beth fans) kinda useless. She hasn't done much that really mattered besides "sing" and "hold a baby"

Beth isn't useless. Her character shouldn't be underestimated. There's a lot more to her than you think, you just actually have to pay attention to her screentime and development over the course of the show. Even in just the new trailer we can she how much she's changed since the farm.
Anyway, Andrea and Laurie Holden were two of the main reasons I watched the show.
REVEAL SPOILER
Now that she's gone, the show hasn't been the same. There are too many places where Andrea SHOULD have been that the show now just feels off. To make it even worse, she was supposed to be on for eight seasons and become Rick's love interest. It's too bad that can't happen now. There was still too much to be done with Andrea and many plot points left unresolved with her that her death was just completely inappropriate. She was an amazing character that I fell in love with instantly. They lost their best actress by screwing over Laurie Holden. It's a good thing the writer who had the final say over her death was fired.

If Beth does die, I'll pretty much give up on this show and lose any hope of it ever improving. Beth is pretty much the only "normal" character left who retains her humanity. I don't want to watch a bunch of "super heroes" killing zombies for 16 episodes, how boring would that be?

On Topic:
I still think that zombies can be scary and good if implemented properly. One major thing holding that back from happening is modern gaming standards. You're pretty much given all the weapons you need to blast your way through them. It's all just action games with very little effort on the "horror" side of things. Just imagine a game done in the style of the Resident Evil Remake. Now THAT would certainly make zombies scary and an actual threat again. It's too bad something like that will never happen.

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:25 pm

I try to find some value in Beth's character, I really do. But I think her lack of any real personality or character struggle comes from the writers not knowing what to do with her. Considering that Beth and Maggie came from the same storyline, it's amazing how much more the writers have done with Maggie. I don't' really know why they've done so little with Beth besides the explanation that they didn't know how to work her in to the story.

She had some character conflict there at the beginning in the farm sequence, with her being suicidal and questioning the purpose of life in the new world...but once they reached the prison it felt like "well, Beth is still alive. What do we do with her?" "I dunno...make her sing? It'll be a good episode closer."

I'm hoping (if she stays alive in the new season) they give her more material. It's weird that the characters introduced in the Governor's "redemption" sequence (the two sisters) have had more character depth in a small number of episodes than Beth has had since season 2.

Back on topic?

Zombies!

Xuchilbara

The Red God

Post by Xuchilbara on Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:10 pm

Oh guys, take this to that TWD topic we have.

Oohfakanorus

My Star Sign Is MURDER!

Post by Oohfakanorus on Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:20 pm

Purramid_Head wrote:Oh guys, take this to that TWD topic we have.

Well we were talking about RE6 and Silent Hill last time I checked here! :lol:
No results found for oohfakanorus.

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:38 pm

Yea, it was me. Sorry. Continue on about how much RE6 sucks and how Kojima may or may not be taking the next game.

KiramidHead

Little Bamboo

Post by KiramidHead on Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:39 pm

God no. The last thing we need is this thread turning into another "Kojima, good or bad?" wank fest.

Mercury

Post by Mercury on Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:50 pm

We also have another thread for that too. :P I want more like that Heroes side-game in RE:ORC. It's not survival horror but it looks fun as hell.
ya fuckin rite

clips7

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Post by clips7 on Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:44 pm

Thats a depressing list. Gonna hang on to my PS3 even lot longer than I thought. I don't think E3 will be any more than a bunch of Indie games and cross gen triple A titles from third party dev. Sony and MS invested too much on Indie and third party mercenaries for timed exclusive and crap tv shows.

This is just a quote i picked up from the comments section of "game informer" referring to the ps4's release date of upcoming games. I'm shocked alot of other folks don't feel this way. When i go to IGN or any other gaming sites, the new games being advertised for these new systems are indy games that can be ran on sega genesis and super nintendo systems.

Where are the games that can show what these systems can do? There is only a handful...Destiny, Titanfall, Call of Duty, Batman AK,...a few other big names and that's it. It seemslike only the big name titles are getting the main console treatment and everything else that would be considered the equivalent of a indy title or cheapier made titles are going the indy route.

I agree that too much has been invested in these indy titles that are not pushing these consoles at all and there are alot of great concepts in these indy titles that are being wasted through weak visuals and gameplay mechanics...which are usually just advanced platformers...these indy titles should be a perk for these systems and not a major draw...it's why i will be holding on to my ps3 for a looong time...
Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding....these are the basic fundamentals of life....

If you can't amaze them with brilliance, baffle them with bulls**t...

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Post by Otherworld on Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:08 am

^ Agreed, I am a PS4 owner and unfortunately, for right now, it has not been collecting dust. I just purchased The Last of Us Remastered. EB had a deal. Trade in you PS3 copy and you get the PS4 title for half price. I ended up paying $25. Thing is, I was happy to do so because it came with the DLC Left behind. which was worth $14 on PSN. I wanted to buy it but I waited. So I look at it like $25-$14= $11.

That's not so bad. Funny thing is I am looking to spend real money on new titles that are nowhere to be found right now. I may not see anything for a least a year I think ......

Guerilla

Post by Guerilla on Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:26 pm

Ok, first things first: indies are not being used or expected to push either PS4 or XB1. They're just there to give people more stuff to play and there's nothing wrong with that. Plenty of great indie games out there. Not everything has to be nor should it be AAA moneyfest.

Second off, people need to chill the hell out with the "no gamez" complaints. While I do agree both systems needed more launch titles, the libraries of both aren't going to grow over night. These systems haven't even been out a full year yet. Remember the PS2? That system that's widely lauded for its tremendous game library? Remember the first yeae the PS2 was on the market? Plenty of complaints about a thin library. But as we see now in hindsight the gamws came. 2001 dropped and plenty of games such as FFX, Grand Theft Auto 3, Halo, etc. hit the scene and got people interested. The games will come. People just need to chill and be patient. And the PS4's first year and overall lineup is eoooooooooooooons better than the PS3's was in its first year. A night and day difference.

PreviousNext

Return to Silent Hill General Discussion