Forum for all other Silent Hill-related discussion.

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

The OFFICIAL State of Silent Hill/Survival Horror thread,II

Post by Otherworld on Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:00 am

Yes I am well aware that the listening mode was an option, but the game was built on the premise that you would use it, as opposed to the premise of you not using it and then adding it on if the game was too difficult. Building the game in that manner would have helped intensify the atmosphere. I thought the sneaking around was done fairly well as well. I just thought the mechanic may have taken away from the game as far as scares and uneasiness were concerned.

The A.I. worked the way it worked because that is the simplest way to for it to work without ruining the experience. A.I controls like RE 7 were good, but in all honesty I never used them. You defiantly have to ignore the A.I. but I was not expecting anything better than what was implemented.

The difference between Uncharted and TLoU is exactly what Naroon mentioned. Uncharted is more of a "cartooney" type adventure, but in TLoU when you finish people/infected off there is nothing "cartooney" about it. The visuals were brutally honest, and so was the fact that some people begged for their lives ..........

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:22 pm

The Uncharted games are all just giant cartoony action games without the cartoony appeal. I never got why so many people lost their minds over how great the series was. It's an okay adventure game...but I've played better adventure games than Uncharted.

^That game, while still coming with some flaws, is a better adventure game than any of the Uncharted games. Uncharted...I dunno. It's just not that great. It's pretty to look at, and has some good ideas, but it just comes in a package that isn't that memorable.

Although, it's still infinitely more fun than RE6.

I can understand why some people love Uncharted, I guess. There's a reason it's such a huge franchise, some people just love 'em. It's kinda how I feel about Call of Duty. I think the games just suck all around...but a lot of people love them. So who am I to judge? I won't sit here and tell you your opinion is wrong and your game sucks....because that's just stupid. If ya love something, ya love it. Nothing wrong with that.

although RE6 sucks, and everyone knows it, and if you love it you should quit videogames and take up golf or something
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:14 pm

The 1st Uncharted was just OK. But I really enjoyed the 2nd one. The game was just put together really well as far as story and mechanics were concerned. I had a blast playing it.

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:26 pm

UC2 was just amazing. I still have it. I was gonna include it in my Great PS3 Game Collection Purge of '11, but opted to keep it on account of the fact I held it in such high regards, even if I probably was never gonna play it again (or at least not for a long time, since they'd ruined the multiplayer mode as well with a bunch of trash updates, but that's another story...)

clips7

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Post by clips7 on Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:30 pm

devil hunter wrote:What was so silly about the explanation?

REVEAL SPOILER
Besides having a planet that is self aware of what is going on and is the actual cause and source of the markers? A living monster planet so to speak spreading it's influence amongst other planets?

They just could've came up with a better source of the markers...maybe have it where while these aliens are so beyond human thought and intelligence that the only aspect these aliens needed was their likeliness. In all honesty, however advanced these markers are in manipulating and transforming people, why is it that they are transformed into these hideous creatures, if the markers are so beyond what any human has seen on a technological and intellectual level?

The exenomorphs are really anatomically inferior to humans, claws, deformities..etc. So maybe have these aliens explain the exenomorphs outbreak as a progressing step to taking on a perfect human form on a genetic level over a certain period of time.

Or possibly making the source of the markers kinda cryptic in a sense that they actually might be the birth-source of man or the entire universe. Idk..when I found out the source, after all of the mystery since the beginning, it just felt a bit underwhelming.

As far as the talk of Uncharted?...it's a solid series with great production values and Hollywood themed theatrics. It's gameplay is fairly simple. Cover and shoot. It plays well and it's not frustrating, but it' games have some of the best action packed set-pieces that you might see symbolic of a summer blockbuster and the characters are written amazingly well. Uncharted is like a new-age Indiana jones.

That said, I was incredibly impressed with the latest tomb raider reboot. I actually thought it did some things better than uncharted...some of it's set-pieces and overall design and upgrading of weapons was just done better in that game..art design was incredible and the character models and the silky smooth animations of Lara was solid. The only aspect uncharted has over Tomb Raider at this point is that the characters in Tomb Raider are rather forgettable.

It seems the latest uncharted (4)...might be trying to go for a darker edge as represented by that short teaser released not too long ago
Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding....these are the basic fundamentals of life....

If you can't amaze them with brilliance, baffle them with bulls**t...

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:39 pm

^ Agreed, I am playing through Tomb Raider right now. I have said to myself a bunch of times already, " this reminds me of Uncharted but better".

IMO Uncharted really does not have any other place to go but use a darker theme. It looks like the series is going to take itself a little more serious this time around. Hopefully it is a good thing.

Borg

Ghost

Post by Borg on Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:19 pm

clips7 wrote:
REVEAL SPOILER
Besides having a planet that is self aware of what is going on and is the actual cause and source of the markers? A living monster planet so to speak spreading it's influence amongst other planets?

They just could've came up with a better source of the markers...maybe have it where while these aliens are so beyond human thought and intelligence that the only aspect these aliens needed was their likeliness. In all honesty, however advanced these markers are in manipulating and transforming people, why is it that they are transformed into these hideous creatures, if the markers are so beyond what any human has seen on a technological and intellectual level?

The exenomorphs are really anatomically inferior to humans, claws, deformities..etc. So maybe have these aliens explain the exenomorphs outbreak as a progressing step to taking on a perfect human form on a genetic level over a certain period of time.

Or possibly making the source of the markers kinda cryptic in a sense that they actually might be the birth-source of man or the entire universe. Idk..when I found out the source, after all of the mystery since the beginning, it just felt a bit underwhelming.

REVEAL SPOILER
There's still a lot we don't know, I thought the giant devouring moons were scary. As for intelligence etc. I haven't played the games in a while so I don't remember if it was mentioned or not.

Though, planets like that aren't an original idea.

clips7

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Post by clips7 on Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:27 am

Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding....these are the basic fundamentals of life....

Borg

Ghost

Post by Borg on Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:43 am

I had him and some other creatures like that in mind haha.

clips7

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Post by clips7 on Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:56 am

The horror genre has always been a niche` genre, but what i'm seeing currently..doesn't bode well. RE is a shell of it's former self, konami hasn't said anything related to a new SH title and the only other major horror title that is about to be dropped is "The Evil Within" and i'm still skeptical about certain game mechanics within that game...there's still alot of similarities between it and RE4.

Outside of that we have a slew of indy titles, that while we have a few that look ok..Outlast...a few others etc...but the majority of horror games coming down the pike are weak graphically. I'm not talking about those first person zombie games, because i really don't consider those horror. Idk...last gen, you would have games that even if they was of a lesser quality, they still would be somewhat decent compared to how much of a dropoff in quality we have today.

Last gen, just thinkin off the top of tha dome..we had Alone in the Dark...Siren Bloodcurse....hmm...i can't think of any other horror titles outside of the RE and SH titles that dropped last gen. I guess what i'm saying is that i wouldn't mind seeing some of these indy horror titles..if..

1. they wasn't all 1st person
2. had some decent budgets behind them....alot of them are either 2-d side scrollers of graphically challenged 1st person shooters.

KiramidHead

Little Bamboo

Post by KiramidHead on Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:14 am

Yeah, it seems like the near future of horror games will consist largely of plotless, first person PC indie games.

Borg

Ghost

Post by Borg on Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:19 am

Graphically challenged? Plotless? Some of them have good graphics and actual plots.

Mercury

Post by Mercury on Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:52 am

Horror still exists, but it seems more like action-horror (aka SHOOT ZOMBIES IN THE FUCKIN HEAD!!!!!!!!!!!) sell a lot better now. Indie is really where the demand is, but indie obviously isn't known for having a big budget. It's nice to have anything horror in general. For instance, Pig Farmer Games has some awesome ideas. Like stated before, the graphics aren't great but the genre didn't start out so polished anyway. Just think of it as a modern revival.
ya fuckin rite

clips7

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Post by clips7 on Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:11 am

IDK...i'm just not impressed with how things are implemented today..if it is horror game, it's first person and it's setup like that amnesia series...dark hallways and corridors, mediorce visuals and etc...which isn't necessarily bad, but the games out recently just feel very generic and look and feel like one another.

I'm absolutely tired of 1st person action zombie games....zombies at least used to be somewhat creepy given the right theme and atmosphere...now they are a complete joke. All i'm saying that if i see a horror game, it's from an indy firm and the visuals and animations are sorely lacking for the most part...

Again games outside of RE and SH that was decent for their time and had decent gameplay and visuals...

Alone in the Dark (ps2)
Alone in the Dark (ps3/xbox)
Siren Bloodcurse
Run Like Hell (ps2)
The Thing (ps2)
Cold Fear(ps2)
Obscure(ps2)
The Suffering(ps2)
Rule of Rose (combat was a bit rough in this one)

Mercury

Post by Mercury on Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:37 pm

I agree, zombies are so old now. And yeah, I see what you mean. Graphics and things of that nature should be excused since it's mostly small time, but more ambitious ideas would be nice. Sometimes they can seem like they work off of a template rather than starting fresh.

Those games were good, but they're also all PS2/PS3. We need to compare this indie wave more to the first wave of horror games in the past like Sweet Home, Clock Tower, Alone in the Dark, and D. Maybe even something like I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream. Once games like this pick up some steam, I think there may be more evolution. I'm just happy that there are people willing to make things outside of the big market just because it's really needed imo.
ya fuckin rite

KiramidHead

Little Bamboo

Post by KiramidHead on Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:12 am

I still like zombies, but I have to see them presented in a unique package for them to still be scary for me. I recently watched Fulci's The Beyond, which is a nice example of that.

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:47 am

Zombies are, ironically enough, dead.

The market has been oversaturated with zombies. Film, television, gaming, even music (no one believes me that Bieber is a lifeless husk, a zombieber).

The idea has been just stretched so thin. Especially in gaming: zombies should really only be in horror games. So why are we getting this dumb bullsh*t about zombies infesting islands in a game trying too hard to be hip? Zombie nazis in CoD? Freakin' why?? It's like game companies have run out of blank sticky notes for the "ideas" board and are just reposting old sticky notes previous thrown away. Everyone desperately is looking for a way to incorporate zombies in their game for no other reason than to point at the crowd, smile, and yell "WE HAVE ZOMBIES U GUYS".

I blame the Walking Dead (the show) for the oversaturation of the markets. The show is a juggernaut, but that idolatry comes with the price of everyone else trying to catch the same lightning in a bottle. Eventually everyone will move on to the next thing, so it makes sense to try to get in on the zombie action before the last bite.
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.

Borg

Ghost

Post by Borg on Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:04 am

I think zombies were popular even before Walking Dead, remember, stuff like nazi zombies exists because people liked that part of CoD: World at War (I think that's the game where it appeared) so they put it in more games.

KiramidHead wrote: I recently watched Fulci's The Beyond, which is a nice example of that.

Have you seen his City of the Living Dead? Teleporting zombies that squeeze heads and make you throw up intestines O_O

Wren

^Perpetual Pepper Potts

Post by Wren on Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:47 am

I think Max Brooks was responsible for the resurgence in Romero-type zombie love. (He's taking credit for it anyhow.) It definitely existed before TWD. I think the reason so many people got behind TWD was because their timing was perfect to cash in on the zombie mania.

IF ANYTHING GOES WRONG, DESMOND HUME WILL BE MY CONSTANT

PEACETALKER

Post by PEACETALKER on Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:33 am

devil hunter wrote:Graphically challenged? Plotless? Some of them have good graphics and actual plots.

And for the most part, boring first person : /
From what I recall, had Alessa successfully spread the crest throughout the town, the God would've been obliterated, or warded off. Instead Harry stepped in post-God-birth and murderized the shit out of the God. - NarooN

PreviousNext

Return to Silent Hill General Discussion