Forum for all other Silent Hill-related discussion.

jam6i

The OFFICIAL State of Silent Hill/Survival Horror thread,II

Post by jam6i on Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:24 am

Dude, like, in the comments people were talking shi*t about how much he sucks and I'm like "are you even watching the video?"

It's terrible. Like, he didn't wanna say anything out loud but you could tell by his sighs and moans he knew he kept dying because of how sh*t the aiming was. It got so bad I was like "dude, don't even aim. Please don't aim."

If it's that bad in the final game, I dunno if I'll get it. It's seriously that bad.

What's worse if how much damage he was taking for one hit. It's almost a one-hit death most of the time. And like, when your character is usually only one hit away from dying even with a full life bar, your health items are useless. What good is a half injection if an enemy would kill you with even a full injection?

There are definitely some mechanical problems with the game that seriously need to be polished away.
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:59 am

Lolol @ that video. Pete didn't even seemed like he wanted to play it. Like he'd already had enough with his earlier playtime with the game. I knew this would just wind up being another overhyped letdown. So much for "bringing back horror". Game legitimately doesn't look fun to me, but that's just me.

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:25 pm

It probably won't live up to the hype of that initial trailer. I think Mikami and Friends made a mistake of releasing that trailer. It really raised the hype on the game to unrealistic proportions, since it actually had nothing to do with actual gameplay.

It looks like it'll be interesting, and probably quite entertaining. But I wouldn't hold my breath on it living up to the claim of bringing back horror.

Judging it purely on that demo, there's a good chance it's going to fail. The atmosphere was great, but the gameplay was not.

I hope Mikami knows if the player just presses XXX and YYY and XXX and YYY, they will be sucked.

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Post by Otherworld on Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:59 pm

Lol, it seemed like he was so used to dying. And that the stealth kills worked so much better than the guns. I am still waiting for the reviews but that playthrough did not cast the game in any type of good light.

clips7

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Post by clips7 on Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:33 am

I thought they was delaying this thing so they could polish it?...but that was like a few months ago...like back in March... :lol:

Hopefully they will get their act together and tighten this game up....
Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding....these are the basic fundamentals of life....

If you can't amaze them with brilliance, baffle them with bulls**t...

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:59 am

clips7 wrote:I thought they was delaying this thing so they could polish it?...but that was like a few months ago...like back in March... :lol:

Hopefully they will get their act together and tighten this game up....

We will know very soon, the release date is just over a month away I believe. The delay was to make it more scary, I guess they forgot to fix up the gameplay as well. :lol:

devil hunter

Ghost

Post by devil hunter on Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:04 am

Game seems a little easy from the gameplay that was shown. Enemies are kind of slow.

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:53 pm

^You should probably take that statement to the guy who was clearly getting pissed off at how poorly the game handled.

Seeing a game is not the same as playing a game.

devil hunter

Ghost

Post by devil hunter on Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:04 pm

Yeah I know, bad camera etc. that's something which makes the game "artificially" difficult, if that's fixed it doesn't seem like it would be hard. On other gameplay vids enemies are killed quite easily.

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:45 pm

With the game so close to release I doubt they will have time to fix that aiming mechanic ..............

clips7

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Post by clips7 on Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:04 am

Otherworld wrote:With the game so close to release I doubt they will have time to fix that aiming mechanic ..............

Yeah...you'd think with that glaring problem concerning the camera somebody would have shot up red flags about it. With the game being only a month away i don't see how they can fix that unless it's just a simple issue of going into the code and adjusting the camera. Maybe they still have time since they haven't announced that it went "gold" yet.
Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding....these are the basic fundamentals of life....

If you can't amaze them with brilliance, baffle them with bulls**t...

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:47 am

clips7 wrote:
Otherworld wrote:With the game so close to release I doubt they will have time to fix that aiming mechanic ..............

Yeah...you'd think with that glaring problem concerning the camera somebody would have shot up red flags about it. With the game being only a month away i don't see how they can fix that unless it's just a simple issue of going into the code and adjusting the camera. Maybe they still have time since they haven't announced that it went "gold" yet.

When you see a gameplay video like that, this close to release they are showing it as a show piece, that's what worries me. Maybe they do not see the issue with the camera. I mean if it was a glaring issue surely they would try and ensure it would not be seen during the video.

smoke

Post by smoke on Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:20 am

This might just be me but personally I wouldn't consider any game a "return to survival horror" unless it ditched the over the shoulder camera and went back to the far-away 3rd person camera style. If you're gonna call it a return to sh then it needs to have the classic sh gameplay too.

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:33 am

^ Like tanks controls ?

devil hunter

Ghost

Post by devil hunter on Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:43 am

Why does it need to have gameplay like that? That's like saying a horror movie isn't a horror movie unless it's silent and in black and white.

Alistair

Swooping Is Bad!

Post by Alistair on Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:53 pm

smoke wrote:This might just be me but personally I wouldn't consider any game a "return to survival horror" unless it ditched the over the shoulder camera and went back to the far-away 3rd person camera style. If you're gonna call it a return to sh then it needs to have the classic sh gameplay too.

I agree! I love that classic style! Otherwise, the games usually end up too action-oriented.
Otherworld wrote:^ Like tanks controls ?

Definitely! <3

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:56 pm

I think horror gaming is looking hopeful right now. You've got Silent Hills, a new Fatal Frame, The Evil Within, the RE1 Remaster, RE: Revelations 2, constant hints at a new Deadly Premonition in the future, Alien Isolation, Bloodborne....

And if that isn't enough to make you happy, there's always the possibility that the next day could bring about confirmation that The Last Guardian is for realsies.

I think horror gaming's days of sh!++¥ action combat are behind us. We can look back at the period of about 2006-2013 with our middle fingers kindly extended outwards. What a terrible period in horror gaming. I mean, that period was fine for people who liked horror games full of action, but...that audience is the reason horror games have been so utterly "mehhhh" for so long.

That's why I like games like Destiny. Keep those action fanatics where they belong, mindlessly shooting infinitely spawning samey enemies with no real end reward beyond "ooooh look at this sick loot, bruh!!"

smoke

Post by smoke on Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:13 pm

Otherworld wrote:^ Like tanks controls ?

Nah just the camera. I guess they could put optional tank controls in for the hardcore sh purists out there but analog controls are fine unless you're using fixed cameras like old school RE.

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:25 pm

Perhaps Kojimatoro is implementing switches not only for perspective, but for control as well.

It would be really great if he did, so the whole "tank vs modern" thing could die, at least for one game. I'm kind of tired of seeing people take what is, essentially, a personal preference about how controller inputs make da people on da screen go, and using it to stir argument about classic games vs. newer games, for sake of arguing.

In fact, I would love for a new "hybrid" control to enter the market, so that people can choose to play the game to their own preference, and we won't have people taking sides on an argument about which is the better way to make Leon walk down a hallway.

I like both styles. I don't have a problem with either because I've got bigger problems in my life to worry about than how a game controls.

KiramidHead

Little Bamboo

Post by KiramidHead on Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:42 pm

I'm glad horror seems to be on the upswing, but I couldn't be less excited for Fatal Frame V. Between being on the WiiU and the developers seemingly repeating the same old shit story- and ghost-wise, I just don't care.

PreviousNext

Return to Silent Hill General Discussion