Forum for all other Silent Hill-related discussion.

Moss

The OFFICIAL State of Silent Hill/Survival Horror thread,II

Post by Moss on Sat May 10, 2014 12:52 am

Siren was released in 2008 (FF2 Wii 2012, Silent Hill HD 2012). At the time, they did look very nice (certainly less so presently), but it could've been an impression due to immersion too. Nevertheless, it doesn't compare to SH or FF as brilliant, yet it remains unique and competent. :)

Regarding Fatal Frame, 2 was the nicest for the story and 3 was incredible from the house/sleep cycle that I absolutely frickin' adored. Shame the remake of 2 didn't allow the classic controller...
Silent Hill abbreviated is SH. Survival Horror abbreivated is SH. If you pronounce 'SH' in a Japanese accent, it it pronounced as 'see'. Do you 'see' Silent Hill is the Survival of Survival Horror- the prophet?

Borg

Ghost

Post by Borg on Sat May 10, 2014 2:25 am

Moss wrote:Siren was released in 2008 (FF2 Wii 2012, Silent Hill HD 2012). At the time, they did look very nice (certainly less so presently), but it could've been an impression due to immersion too.

Ohh..no, I was talking about the original game, not Blood Curse. Original was released in 2003 in Japan and in 2004 for America and Europe.

Fatal Frame 2 came out in 2003 for America and Japan and in 2004 for Europe. SH2 came out in 2001 and SH3 came out in 2003.

They all look much, much better than Siren 1. The game simply didn't look so nice graphic wise even during the time it came out.

As for Blood Curse, that looks amazing imo.

Moss

Post by Moss on Sat May 10, 2014 3:26 am

devil hunter wrote:
Moss wrote:Siren was released in 2008 (FF2 Wii 2012, Silent Hill HD 2012). At the time, they did look very nice (certainly less so presently), but it could've been an impression due to immersion too.

Ohh..no, I was talking about the original game, not Blood Curse. Original was released in 2003 in Japan and in 2004 for America and Europe.

Fatal Frame 2 came out in 2003 for America and Japan and in 2004 for Europe. SH2 came out in 2001 and SH3 came out in 2003.

They all look much, much better than Siren 1. The game simply didn't look so nice graphic wise even during the time it came out.

As for Blood Curse, that looks amazing imo.

You misinterpreted me and I misinterpreted you, haha. My observation was about BC purely - I think Siren 1 & 2 had few positive features.
Silent Hill abbreviated is SH. Survival Horror abbreivated is SH. If you pronounce 'SH' in a Japanese accent, it it pronounced as 'see'. Do you 'see' Silent Hill is the Survival of Survival Horror- the prophet?

KiramidHead

Little Bamboo

Post by KiramidHead on Sat May 10, 2014 8:06 pm

I think the biggest problem with the original Siren for me was that it took the survival part of "survival horror" too far. I mean, smart enemies are good and all, but the fact that they can see you from a mile off really sucks, and I don't like how turning on your flashlight is a recipe for instant death.

Moss

Post by Moss on Sun May 11, 2014 12:11 am

KiramidHead wrote:I think the biggest problem with the original Siren for me was that it took the survival part of "survival horror" too far. I mean, smart enemies are good and all, but the fact that they can see you from a mile off really sucks, and I don't like how turning on your flashlight is a recipe for instant death.

It was a frustrating death simulator... Not scary, FRUSTRATING.

clips7

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Post by clips7 on Mon May 12, 2014 7:51 pm

Moss wrote:
KiramidHead wrote:I think the biggest problem with the original Siren for me was that it took the survival part of "survival horror" too far. I mean, smart enemies are good and all, but the fact that they can see you from a mile off really sucks, and I don't like how turning on your flashlight is a recipe for instant death.

It was a frustrating death simulator... Not scary, FRUSTRATING.

While I have never played the original Siren, I have heard it was pretty difficult. Siren Bloodcurse on the other hand wasn't too difficult for me and the gameplay and stealth missions felt just about right. I heard that Bloodcurse was made to be a little more forgiving than the original title anyway.
Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding....these are the basic fundamentals of life....

If you can't amaze them with brilliance, baffle them with bulls**t...

KiramidHead

Little Bamboo

Post by KiramidHead on Mon May 12, 2014 7:59 pm

Yeah, Blood Curse was pretty good. it kind of lost me towards the end, but still.

BBrad

Post by BBrad on Mon May 12, 2014 8:04 pm

KiramidHead wrote:Yeah, Blood Curse was pretty good. it kind of lost me towards the end, but still.

Loved bloodcurse to death but only played a demo of the original for PS2, wouldn't mind trying the originals if they are a decent price.

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Mon May 12, 2014 8:34 pm

The original Siren was a blast to play. Yea, the puzzle logic was freaking awful and the enemy ai was really unfair at times...but i remember having such a tense time playing the game. It isn't so much a scary game as it is a really tense stealth game. My favorite level was getting out of an enemy infested house using nothing but sightjacking. It was a really small house...but the level felt soooo long because of how stealthy you had to be to avoid any detection.

Siren gets a lot of undeserved hate...
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.

Alistair

Swooping Is Bad!

Post by Alistair on Mon May 12, 2014 10:50 pm

I've never played the Siren games, but I've always heard how difficult the first game is.
It's definitely one I'll have to try out myself someday.
I did enjoy the demo of Bloodcurse though, it was interesting enough to make me want to play the entire thing. I would've preferred a physical release instead of digital.

aglaophotics

Post by aglaophotics on Tue May 13, 2014 12:52 am

I disagree. While Siren WAS strict, when played right, it was an absolute thrill to play. It probably made me sweat more than any game i've ever played, it was that intense. And the storyline is freaking gorgeous.

Pale Bishop

+-Fear not the unexplained-+

Post by Pale Bishop on Tue May 13, 2014 1:42 am

My two cents on Kojima is that he's very passionate and opinionated. That'd be fine and indeed wonderful for any series that ISN'T Silent Hill. I'm with Guerilla in the belief in that Kojima probably doesn't have the restraint to not micro-manage the whole game until it matches his vision. His signature style and personality are just too strong; no way would he be able to sit back, arms crossed, and observe a good team at work. While he's dabbled in various genres horror isn't one of them.

What Silent Hill needs is the one thing Konami has been hesitant to give it until recently: a budget. Sure some clever things have been done with the series mostly because of how little time was given, but the team shouldn't be scrabbling to finish not only at the last second but all throughout development. At least, no more than every other big-name title.

On Siren: I have little interest in Blood Curse but I can hardly call myself an expert on the genre without having played it let alone finishing it. I'll try it when I get a chance. I love the original Siren for PS2 and I still toss and turn at night thinking about how Forbidden Siren 2 will never get an American release despite the reviews claiming it to be better in all ways than the first. I've desperately wanted it ever since I found out about it. Siren is a quirky game, that's true, with a difficulty curve like a coked-up jackrabbit getting shocked with a cattle prod. I just found the atmosphere deep and thick, even more so than the first Silent Hill game. I felt oppressed and scared and like I was running out of time, and any game that has that much of an effect on me is going into my favourites no matter what. I did complete the game, so that probably affects my feelings on it. I also loved the Sight-jacking mechanic. It was damn creepy seeing through the enemies' viewpoints, especially as one lumbers past your hiding spot, giggling to itself and flailing spastically.

Despite the often arbitrary and confusing secondary objectives the true ending was the payoff so I didn't mind too much (at least, in retrospect). I just wish they had made them make sense outside of video game logic.

Borg

Ghost

Post by Borg on Tue May 13, 2014 3:24 am

Moss wrote:It was a frustrating death simulator... Not scary, FRUSTRATING.

Yeah, this describes it well. I didn't found it scary nor atmospheric, not even tense, just frustrating. There's a big difference between game being tense and just being frustrating to play, that's why I really want to play Blood Curse, seems like it did all those things right.

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Post by Otherworld on Tue May 13, 2014 2:23 pm

devil hunter wrote:

Yeah, this describes it well. I didn't found it scary nor atmospheric, not even tense, just frustrating. There's a big difference between game being tense and just being frustrating to play, that's why I really want to play Blood Curse, seems like it did all those things right.

^ I had the exact same experience. Blood curse was much better, I never got a chance to finish it though.

clips7

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Post by clips7 on Wed May 14, 2014 2:01 am

Otherworld wrote:
devil hunter wrote:

^ I had the exact same experience. Blood curse was much better, I never got a chance to finish it though.

Yeah...Bloodcurse was tough, but it never felt frustrating. It was just incredibly intense and un-nerving. There was just an amazing amount of hopelessness and dread. I just kept wondering how are these characters going to escape this nightmare. It just seemed impossible, and one of my favorite levels was Chapter 3...i think that was the level where you play as a little girl in the hospital. That level, from everything to art direction and level design was done brilliantly,..and you truly felt like an average joe trying to escape the madness.

Overall the game was great, but i do agree with Kira in that the story confused me a bit as well towards the end there...haha. I had somebody from another forum explain that section of the story, but i have already forgot what was the reason for the said plotline at that particular part of the game. One other thing Bloodcurse could have done better was the ending...it was just one of those weird quirky endings that really didn't fit the overall theme of the game, but other than that, the game was solid.
Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding....these are the basic fundamentals of life....

If you can't amaze them with brilliance, baffle them with bulls**t...

KiramidHead

Little Bamboo

Post by KiramidHead on Wed May 14, 2014 4:02 pm

If anything frustrated me about Blood Curse, it was a couple of those damn archive items. I'm talking about that stupid pop song and the scroll Seigo was carrying.

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Post by Otherworld on Sat May 17, 2014 9:44 am

Well it looks like we will be seeing an RE7 announcement at E3. RE6 was terrible, but sold a shit load of copies, I wonder if the same thing will happen again.

Moss

Post by Moss on Sat May 17, 2014 4:16 pm

Otherworld wrote:Well it looks like we will be seeing an RE7 announcement at E3. RE6 was terrible, but sold a shit load of copies, I wonder if the same thing will happen again.

It would've been tolerable with the fun ballistics systems as before, with impacts felt as powerful, and creative, dynamic battles, along with the intriguing environmental design which induced an eeriness, but their result was an amalgamation of the worst in previous incarnations..

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Sat May 17, 2014 7:58 pm

I anticipate a new RE game every time they claim they will drop the action bullsh*t. Yet every time, I am left with a sour taste in my mouth and a feeling of emptiness in my soul.

I no longer have the faith in RE and capcom I once did. Whenever they say "we listened and are going back" I call bullsh*t until I see proof. It's tragically come to that. My expectations from capcom are low.

I learned two things from RE6:

1.) It's possible to make a visually impressive and entirely functional game be completely boring and mesmerizingly not fun and

2.) Capcom have no problem straight up lying to the entire world's faces. RE6 turned out to be everything they claimed they weren't doing. At least for RE5 they weren't trying to hide the fact it was an action game. With 6 they falsified info so that people wouldn't turn away at the get-go.
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.

Borg

Ghost

Post by Borg on Sun May 18, 2014 3:02 am

Even worse, they tried to make Leon's part a little survival horrorish (with emphasis on "a little"), Chris' action and Jake's part stealth elements and chase scenes like in Nemesis but in the end they didn't satisfy anyone.

PreviousNext

Return to Silent Hill General Discussion