Forum for all other Silent Hill-related discussion.

Borg

Ghost

The OFFICIAL State of Silent Hill/Survival Horror thread,II

Post by Borg on Mon May 05, 2014 12:26 pm

Depending on what those "mistakes" are.

CrazyCatLady

Queen of Alien Relations

Post by CrazyCatLady on Mon May 05, 2014 12:43 pm

Guerilla wrote:
NarooN wrote:It's far too early to jump to any conclusions that Kojima would even have anything to do with the next game, really. People are only considering this because he's been interviewed about it and expressed interest in it. He also "expressed interest" in Zone of the Enders 3, but we saw how that turned out... We don't know if there will even be a new game, so it's best that we revisit this discussion once the relevant time arises.
The problem is if this kind of screwed mentality catches on, Konami may think a Kojima helmed SH game would be something the fandom actually wants when it's the very last thing it needs right now. Hw's already been asked by the execs before. We just really, really, really, really, really do not need to give that abortion of an idea any more power than it already has.

And how does arguing about it here change anything? I love this place, but I highly doubt Konami comes
to this site to make their decisions. And even if they did, I highly doubt just a couple of people voicing their disapproval would change anything. There's still a wide range of the fanbase (not on this site) that love the idea and have voiced it. Regardless, Konami is going to do what it wants to do. I rarely see Konami listen to the fanbase, they won't suddenly start now

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Post by Otherworld on Mon May 05, 2014 1:01 pm

devil hunter wrote:Depending on what those "mistakes" are.

Well, these are some of the mistakes Konami has made IMO:

1. Not giving the dev's enough time to complete a solid finished product.

2. Letting Konami executives ( big-wigs) interfere in development

3. Using unproven dev's and unproven technology.

4. Not marketing the product
Last edited by Otherworld on Mon May 05, 2014 6:38 pm.

clips7

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Post by clips7 on Mon May 05, 2014 5:30 pm

In all honesty...it might really fall on konami in terms of SH in general. Downpour was actually a solid looking game in terms of visuals. The opening scene with Murph walking down the hallway in the jail was impressive and Murph's walking animations and combat was smoother than what was seen in Homecoming. If Downpour had a wee bit more time and a bigger budget, it could've been really something special.

SH really doesn't need a Kojima to bring it back...if they could find a developer that has a strong passion for the series and allow for a respectable budget, that can actually end up being a better product than a kojima lead production. But like what has been stated already, he only mentioned an interest in SH and we are running away with this theory, I don't even think they spent that much time on the subject.

Ultimately the buck stops with konami and like Naroon mentioned, they haven't been exactly treating this franchise in the way Capcom treats RE in terms of it's budget and marketing aspects.
Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding....these are the basic fundamentals of life....

If you can't amaze them with brilliance, baffle them with bulls**t...

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Tue May 06, 2014 12:07 pm

Silent Hill does not need Kojima to bring it back. I agree, but it seems to me like Konami does not trust itself, to handle franchise. That is why they are asking Kojima to take it over. It seems like they have finally realized that they have handled the series so poorly for such a long time.

So instead of allowing the mistakes of the past to continue, they seem think it would be best to hand the reigns over to Kojima.

That's my sense of what is happening and why Kojima is involved in the 1st place.

Borg

Ghost

Post by Borg on Tue May 06, 2014 2:16 pm

Otherworld wrote:Silent Hill does not need Kojima to bring it back. I agree, but it seems to me like Konami does not trust itself, to handle franchise. That is why they are asking Kojima to take it over. It seems like they have finally realized that they have handled the series so poorly for such a long time.

So instead of allowing the mistakes of the past to continue, they seem think it would be best to hand the reigns over to Kojima.

I wish, it's probably another of "give it to random devs" philosophy. They didn't show any signs of getting wiser.

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Tue May 06, 2014 2:48 pm

^ I don't know, it seems rather wise to keep the title " in house ", give it to a proven dev with a proven engine all the while Kojima will have as much time and money he needs.

It could work but that would all depend on how involved Kojima gets with the game.

Borg

Ghost

Post by Borg on Wed May 07, 2014 3:15 am

Let's not forget the whole "SM and Origins on Vita" fiasco.

Moss

Post by Moss on Wed May 07, 2014 3:20 am

Otherworld wrote:Silent Hill does not need Kojima to bring it back. I agree, but it seems to me like Konami does not trust itself, to handle franchise. That is why they are asking Kojima to take it over. It seems like they have finally realized that they have handled the series so poorly for such a long time.

That's my sense of what is happening and why Kojima is involved in the 1st place.

Yes, yes, yes. In-house productions are generally superior, too, and Konami has an awful track record of outsourcing choices/funding/budgeting/deadlines.
Silent Hill abbreviated is SH. Survival Horror abbreivated is SH. If you pronounce 'SH' in a Japanese accent, it it pronounced as 'see'. Do you 'see' Silent Hill is the Survival of Survival Horror- the prophet?

clips7

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Post by clips7 on Wed May 07, 2014 4:03 am

Otherworld wrote:^ I don't know, it seems rather wise to keep the title " in house ", give it to a proven dev with a proven engine all the while Kojima will have as much time and money he needs.

It could work but that would all depend on how involved Kojima gets with the game.

I've always agreed with this philosophy. Up above i was just mentioning that SH doesn't need kojima to actually bring it back, but with kojima basically being an in-house product by already working for konami, it really would make the most sense for them to go with this option. It would be really nice if we received an announcement at E3, but i don't think tha is going to happen.

It would've been interesting as i'm sure we will hear something regarding RE7 at E3 so a SH game would've been nice to counteract that announcement.
Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding....these are the basic fundamentals of life....

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Wed May 07, 2014 1:43 pm

^ Ya, I just think it's a smart move. It would work really well if Kojima hangs out in the background while a capable team puts together the finished product.

Outsourcing is not one of Konami's strengths ....... :lol:

clips7

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Post by clips7 on Fri May 09, 2014 12:43 am

Hopefully E3 will have some big surprises...only thing i've been seeing lately from Ps4/xbox is a host of indy games, which isn't bad, but i need to see some games that are going to take advantage of these next-gen systems. So far i haven't been impressed with anything i've seen thus far.

Naughty dog released some artwork of an older looking Ellie from the Last of Us a few days ago, so hopefully there will be some buzz on that, but i'm hoping for a really new creepy IP, or something that will hopefully make both RE and the SH franchise pause and take notice. What i'm hoping to see at E3 at least from the horror side of things..

RE7
Last of Us 2 (possible teaser)
the next SH (not likely)
the next Dead Space (not likely)
a new Siren game? (not likely)
The evil within (not really excited as i once was about this title...latest vids are un-impressive)

non-horror games looking forward to...

Batman Arkam knight
Mass Effect4

Moss

Post by Moss on Fri May 09, 2014 1:37 am

Siren's remake had incredible production value and I /highly/ recommend it to anyone.
Silent Hill abbreviated is SH. Survival Horror abbreivated is SH. If you pronounce 'SH' in a Japanese accent, it it pronounced as 'see'. Do you 'see' Silent Hill is the Survival of Survival Horror- the prophet?

Borg

Ghost

Post by Borg on Fri May 09, 2014 1:59 am

I might check out Siren: Blood Curse. I didn't like the original one, I thought the gameplay wasn't so good, it was really frustrating so the game couldn't scare me because of that. Didn't finish it, though, it seems like Blood Curse fixed lots of mistakes, same for Forbidden Siren 2.

Btw. speaking of graphics I always thought the original Siren looked kind of poor. It just looks so unappealing to look at (not in a good way).

aglaophotics

Post by aglaophotics on Fri May 09, 2014 2:41 am

The original is a masterpiece in my opinion. Blood Curse TV series progression and overly dramatic acting completely killed the vibe the original was going for. I liked it but it didn't even scratch the surface.

Moss

Post by Moss on Fri May 09, 2014 6:12 am

devil hunter wrote:I might check out Siren: Blood Curse. I didn't like the original one, I thought the gameplay wasn't so good, it was really frustrating so the game couldn't scare me because of that. Didn't finish it, though, it seems like Blood Curse fixed lots of mistakes, same for Forbidden Siren 2.

Btw. speaking of graphics I always thought the original Siren looked kind of poor. It just looks so unappealing to look at (not in a good way).

BC did all of these and the graphics (when released) were amazing. The major faults were said a moment ago: dramatic acting and episodic format.

Borg

Ghost

Post by Borg on Fri May 09, 2014 7:22 am

Moss wrote:BC did all of these and the graphics (when released) were amazing.

I dunno, this doesn't look so good graphically:

Especially compared to the stuff that came out around the same time:

Btw. it's a bitch to find good Fatal Frame images.

Moss wrote:The major faults were said a moment ago: dramatic acting and episodic format.

I dunno, the episodic format doesn't seem so different than that link system in the first and second game, or whatever it is, I hate "mission" based gameplay like that in general, it just makes the missions and game itself seem kind of shorter, if that makes sense.

Oh and I seriously doubt the voice acting in Blood Curse is worse than this:

@1:45 and 2:58 are my personal favorites.

clips7

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Post by clips7 on Fri May 09, 2014 8:15 am

Nice post hunter..:)....as far as Siren goes, i'd recommend Bloodcurse. The game had an unique look and some really great art direction and design and it had a strong far east feel and theme. The only part i never liked in this series was thee sight-jacking which made the gameplay a bit hokey and a bit confusing, but that was one of it's major trademarks.

In some instances you had to use it to get clues or to find out where enemies where so you could sneak by them. I thought the game could've worked fine without it, but you had scenarios where you actually had to use it. I can't speak on the original Siren games since i never played them and graphically they was a step below the games you mentioned, but looking at that vid you posted, they did something very unique with the facial models.

Idk...they just look like they scanned faces for their character models and it kinda gave the game an unique and more realistic look. I'm going to try to stay focused, but everytime i see pics of SH3, i just want to pull it out and fire it up. I love how that game looks and plays and still holds up well even today. I still have the original Fatal Frame which was downright scary and i've always been petrified to pick up the 2nd one which i hear is more brutal than the 1st one....at this point i probably won't bother, but i know Fatal Frame 2 is regarded as one of the best in the series.

Anyway Hunter, if you get a chance, pick up Bloodcurse...it's a decent title.

Borg

Ghost

Post by Borg on Fri May 09, 2014 8:30 am

Yeah, they put the voice actor's faces on the character models I think, I agree that' unique, but I believe the final result is debatable, it can be seen from cool experiment that works or look awkward, uncanny valleyish.

I'm planning to check out Blood Curse actually, from what I've seen it looks like something I'd like to play.

KiramidHead

Little Bamboo

Post by KiramidHead on Fri May 09, 2014 11:20 pm

I could never get through the original Siren, but I quite liked Blood Curse.

PreviousNext

Return to Silent Hill General Discussion