Forum for all other Silent Hill-related discussion.

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

The OFFICIAL State of Silent Hill/Survival Horror thread,II

Post by Otherworld on Fri May 02, 2014 5:37 pm

I'll wait for the reviews. I hope it's good, but there is no way I will preorder this title.

Oohfakanorus

My Star Sign Is MURDER!

Post by Oohfakanorus on Fri May 02, 2014 5:41 pm

Even with the shitty promotion, Downpour actually made it into the top 20 of UK Game sales... for one week, but that's still quite good for a game!
Oh wait, we've changed topic with the turn of the page.
No results found for oohfakanorus.

BBrad

Post by BBrad on Fri May 02, 2014 7:09 pm

Otherworld wrote:I'll wait for the reviews. I hope it's good, but there is no way I will preorder this title.

I don't pre-order anything anymore. Not since RE6...

Moss

Post by Moss on Fri May 02, 2014 7:13 pm

Whose girlfriend did Kojima steal?

On topic of The Evil Within, I feel it'll be unique as RE4 and I highly anticipate it.
Silent Hill abbreviated is SH. Survival Horror abbreivated is SH. If you pronounce 'SH' in a Japanese accent, it it pronounced as 'see'. Do you 'see' Silent Hill is the Survival of Survival Horror- the prophet?

Alistair

Swooping Is Bad!

Post by Alistair on Fri May 02, 2014 9:11 pm

devil hunter wrote:OK, here are my reasons for thinking why The Evil Within may not turn out to be that great, the so called "return of survival horror" like some call it. I won't focus on the graphics because I don't believe something like that is so important.
- for a game being advertised as "survival horror" (though, later they said it's gonna be a mix between survival and action) isn't really showing "survival" so much, most of it is showing actiony things
- the survival parts we do see don't seem so long and just seem to become scripted chase scenes (like that chainsaw guy part, which become ridiculous with him activating that death trap), not sure how to describe it, look at Siren Blood Curse and compare it to "survival" parts of this game (from what we've seen so far, who knows I might be very wrong, might be just the case of not advertising it well, like I wrote up, or it's maybe actiony
- to continue with the "not really survival" stuff, seems like the people who played the demo think it's all about action
- it seems to be a little too much like RE, newer ones that is, this might be nitpicking, but I expected something a little different, you know
- this one is really subjective, but from what we've seen I didn't find really so scary, mostly weird, now I don't really expect horror games to scare me nowadays, rarely that happens, but I just don't feel it, like I wrote, it mostly looks weird and random (I have no problem with that, I like that kind of stuff):
Scary: Not really.

I completely agree. I'm not excited about this game and probably won't buy it for some time, if ever.

clips7

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Post by clips7 on Sat May 03, 2014 1:52 am

devil hunter wrote:OK, here are my reasons for thinking why The Evil Within may not turn out to be that great, the so called "return of survival horror" like some call it. I won't focus on the graphics because I don't believe something like that is so important.

- for a game being advertised as "survival horror" (though, later they said it's gonna be a mix between survival and action) isn't really showing "survival" so much, most of it is showing actiony things

- the survival parts we do see don't seem so long and just seem to become scripted chase scenes (like that chainsaw guy part, which become ridiculous with him activating that death trap), not sure how to describe it, look at Siren Blood Curse and compare it to "survival" parts of this game (from what we've seen so far, who knows I might be very wrong, might be just the case of not advertising it well, like I wrote up, or it's maybe actiony

- to continue with the "not really survival" stuff, seems like the people who played the demo think it's all about action

- it seems to be a little too much like RE, newer ones that is, this might be nitpicking, but I expected something a little different, you know

- this one is really subjective, but from what we've seen I didn't find really so scary, mostly weird, now I don't really expect horror games to scare me nowadays, rarely that happens, but I just don't feel it, like I wrote, it mostly looks weird and random (I have no problem with that, I like that kind of stuff):

What were they smoking reaction: Yes.

Scary: Not really.

I'm sure there were more things I wanted to say, but I can't remember them.

Yeah..i've always felt this way about this title ever since the early gameplay vids with the chainsaw dude. He's using tired gaming mechanics that was used in RE4 years ago. It has too much of a "me too" vibe...the last new IP that made me anticipate it's release was the very first Dead Space game and i got more excited with each new video reveal.

I'm not getting no such vibe from this game..
Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding....these are the basic fundamentals of life....

If you can't amaze them with brilliance, baffle them with bulls**t...

Guerilla

Post by Guerilla on Sat May 03, 2014 5:55 am

BillMurraylives wrote:Jesus dude, you seem pretty sure that Kohima would be a terrible person to have any involvement. DUde has made some solid titles whether you think so or not. And downpour sold poorly because it is a poor game.
That's because he motherfucking is a terrible person to have any involvement. How can one play any of his games and have the gall to sit there with a straight face believing he would be a fantastic choice? That kind of insanity is what makes the Silent Hill fandom so embarrassing. For all the whining they produce about non-Team Silent games, they sure as hell think of some atrocious ideas for "improving" the series.

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Sat May 03, 2014 7:31 am

I wonder what people's excuse would be for a hypothetical Kojima-backed game that still sells poorly.

Xuchilbara

The Red God

Post by Xuchilbara on Sat May 03, 2014 8:36 am

Frankly, I don't care. As long as it's the opposite of bad.
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Sat May 03, 2014 6:01 pm

Purramid_Head wrote:Frankly, I don't care. As long as it's the opposite of bad.

^ In the grand scheme of things this is the attitude most should adopt as we will be lucky to get another release in the first place.

KiramidHead

Little Bamboo

Post by KiramidHead on Sat May 03, 2014 6:49 pm

Otherworld wrote:

^ In the grand scheme of things this is the attitude most should adopt as we will be lucky to get another release in the first place.

That's how I look at it. But I've been pretty pleased by the last 2-3 games, so I guess I'm not the best barometer for this sort of thing.

Moss

Post by Moss on Sat May 03, 2014 9:49 pm

KiramidHead wrote:
Otherworld wrote:

That's how I look at it. But I've been pretty pleased by the last 2-3 games, so I guess I'm not the best barometer for this sort of thing.

Homecoming was brilliant except the combat (at times).
Silent Hill abbreviated is SH. Survival Horror abbreivated is SH. If you pronounce 'SH' in a Japanese accent, it it pronounced as 'see'. Do you 'see' Silent Hill is the Survival of Survival Horror- the prophet?

PEACETALKER

Post by PEACETALKER on Sat May 03, 2014 10:10 pm

Guerilla wrote:
BillMurraylives wrote:Jesus dude, you seem pretty sure that Kohima would be a terrible person to have any involvement. DUde has made some solid titles whether you think so or not. And downpour sold poorly because it is a poor game.
That's because he motherfucking is a terrible person to have any involvement. How can one play any of his games and have the gall to sit there with a straight face believing he would be a fantastic choice? That kind of insanity is what makes the Silent Hill fandom so embarrassing. For all the whining they produce about non-Team Silent games, they sure as hell think of some atrocious ideas for "improving" the series.

I don't know nor do I care I just want a good game with a good budget. You seem to think that even if he is in a producer role the game would be up in shambles before it even gets green lit. It just seems like everyone is in a tizzy over a super hypothetical situation.
From what I recall, had Alessa successfully spread the crest throughout the town, the God would've been obliterated, or warded off. Instead Harry stepped in post-God-birth and murderized the shit out of the God. - NarooN

Borg

Ghost

Post by Borg on Sun May 04, 2014 2:22 am

Well, it all depends, there's a big dose of uncertainty. We live in a strange world, in this world even a work full of plagiarism can be considered great.

A person who generally makes good stuff might make something bad. A person who generally makes bad stuff might make something great.

I agree that it's not worth talking about something we don't even know much about.

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Sun May 04, 2014 3:03 am

It's far too early to jump to any conclusions that Kojima would even have anything to do with the next game, really. People are only considering this because he's been interviewed about it and expressed interest in it. He also "expressed interest" in Zone of the Enders 3, but we saw how that turned out... We don't know if there will even be a new game, so it's best that we revisit this discussion once the relevant time arises.

Moss

Post by Moss on Sun May 04, 2014 3:29 am

Kojima's involved as a technical advisor on particles- water specifically. The series is doomed. I warned all of you, remember, as a prophecy and no one heeded my foresight! YOU'RE ALL FOOLS, FOOOOOOOOOOOLS! Why couldn't you have LISTENED?

Moss wrote:Kojima is the devil. It's clear from historic statues contrasted to his regular pose:

Everyone's attitude to his involvement is understandable and I finally empathize once opening the bible to:

"In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them."

Kojima is not divine as we think, he's in fact a deception of a competent producer who thrives on the deconstruction of valued series secretly. His plot is to diminish survival horror and conquer the fanbases to become minions of a cult personality which will strive to implement Kojima's regime as producer of a new world, all performed with the pretext of 'Konami' to his nefarious operations.

"To reign is worth ambition though in hell: Better to reign in hell, than serve in heaven."

Kojima will be the hell of Silent Hill and he'll take it as a sly opportunity to further his name as a handler of prominent franchises - a hound for publicity, acclaim and admiration - without any integrity, intelligence or consideration.

Silent Hill will drown.

Guerilla

Post by Guerilla on Mon May 05, 2014 6:54 am

NarooN wrote:It's far too early to jump to any conclusions that Kojima would even have anything to do with the next game, really. People are only considering this because he's been interviewed about it and expressed interest in it. He also "expressed interest" in Zone of the Enders 3, but we saw how that turned out... We don't know if there will even be a new game, so it's best that we revisit this discussion once the relevant time arises.
The problem is if this kind of screwed mentality catches on, Konami may think a Kojima helmed SH game would be something the fandom actually wants when it's the very last thing it needs right now. Hw's already been asked by the execs before. We just really, really, really, really, really do not need to give that abortion of an idea any more power than it already has.

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Mon May 05, 2014 8:46 am

I agree, really. But we also know how Konami runs it's business and the kinds of decisions it makes (not very well, and not very good ones), so we're almost completely at the mercy of the incompetent executives right now. Let's hope Kojima stays too preoccupied with designing his characters so that fans will want to cosplay them rather than taking the SH initiative too seriously.

Also I just noticed this thread was split off from the last one. I guess 1,999/2,000 replies is the max for a single thread on this board system? Interesting.

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Post by nur_ein_tier on Mon May 05, 2014 8:49 am

^I split it because we usually split at 100 pages.
ImageImageImage

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Mon May 05, 2014 9:05 am

Guerilla wrote:
NarooN wrote:It's far too early to jump to any conclusions that Kojima would even have anything to do with the next game, really. People are only considering this because he's been interviewed about it and expressed interest in it. He also "expressed interest" in Zone of the Enders 3, but we saw how that turned out... We don't know if there will even be a new game, so it's best that we revisit this discussion once the relevant time arises.
The problem is if this kind of screwed mentality catches on, Konami may think a Kojima helmed SH game would be something the fandom actually wants when it's the very last thing it needs right now. Hw's already been asked by the execs before. We just really, really, really, really, really do not need to give that abortion of an idea any more power than it already has.

As posted earlier, the fandom wants an SH game created without the error's of the past. Having Kojima produce the project takes care of a ton of those problems.

Do you really think if Konami gave it to another developer that would ensure the previous mistakes would not happen ?

PreviousNext

Return to Silent Hill General Discussion