Forum for all other Silent Hill-related discussion.
 
 

PEACETALKER

Member

User avatar

Posts: 1002

Joined: Sep 10, 2012

The OFFICIAL State of Silent Hill/Survival Horror thread,II

Post by PEACETALKER on Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:31 am

Anyone else worried about the trajectory of Horror games these past few years?? Like what was the last great horror game? The one that mad fucking waves? Maybe Alien Isolation but It wasn't the BEST recieved game. I'm not sure. I'm worried people don't find any value in getting fucking scared anymore. Same with film, what was the last horror movie that wasn't a schlock filled mess that was objectively praised? Silence of the Lambs?
From what I recall, had Alessa successfully spread the crest throughout the town, the God would've been obliterated, or warded off. Instead Harry stepped in post-God-birth and murderized the shit out of the God. - NarooN
 
 
 
 
 

Vestige

Member

User avatar

Posts: 1439

Joined: Nov 19, 2012

The OFFICIAL State of Silent Hill/Survival Horror thread,II

Post by Vestige on Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:17 am

Games and movies need to be PC now, because people have fragile feelings that need to be protected at all cost, this is why everything must come with sanded edges now, we must avoid talking about negative things, doing any sort of satire that could potentially offend the imaginary pet (omg i'm sorry I mean, companion animal person) of the least expected person you might think of (and actually never meet), and basically, just do stuff that will give you maniacally upbeat forms of instant fun, while you ignore everything else that's going on in the world around and inside you.

So yeah, it's getting difficult to get to see new ugly movies or games like those, the ones that will make you uncomfortable, the ones that will shake you off your seat and make you re-evaluate your own flaws and horrors and thoughts.

I for one have lost all faith that there will ever be any survival horror rubik cube. But who knows, some douchebags do want this kind of stuff so maybe someone will succeed in doing so. The last attempt was a complete failure thanks to Konami's Atlantic City Casino wanna be fantasies. Let's keep an eye dreaming, and the other one open.
Image
 
 
 
 
 

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

User avatar

Posts: 6819

Joined: Jan 18, 2006

The OFFICIAL State of Silent Hill/Survival Horror thread,II

Post by nur_ein_tier on Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:23 am

^Which is why I think independent shit has more potential for the future. Mainstream movies and most games, esp horror, have sucked for a good long time now. At least some indie shit is willing to take some chances in both film and games.

Also why I support Troma. I don't even like their movies most of the time, but I like Lloyd Kaufmann and I like how they just give the finger to anyone who thinks you can't do that sort of crazy sick shit.

Same with John Kricfalusi (creator of Ren and Stimpy). I love John K, I don't love all his newer stuff, but I love his vision and what he represents (and his animation style).

I digress as usual, but I think it's all relevant. The general feeling of mainstream stuff has gone totally to shit and people are afraid to take any chances or offend anyone, whether in games, film, animation,etc.
ImageImageImage
 
 
 
 
 

Borg

Member

User avatar

Ghost

Posts: 6606

Joined: Sep 28, 2011

The OFFICIAL State of Silent Hill/Survival Horror thread,II

Post by Borg on Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:18 am

PEACETALKER wrote: Same with film, what was the last horror movie that wasn't a schlock filled mess that was objectively praised? Silence of the Lambs?


Well, these are some newer horror movies that got a lot of praise from critics:

Berberian Sound Studio

A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night

The Babadook

It Follows


I think there's some more.
 
 
 
 
 
 

PEACETALKER

Member

User avatar

Posts: 1002

Joined: Sep 10, 2012

The OFFICIAL State of Silent Hill/Survival Horror thread,II

Post by PEACETALKER on Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:21 pm

devil hunter wrote:
PEACETALKER wrote: Same with film, what was the last horror movie that wasn't a schlock filled mess that was objectively praised? Silence of the Lambs?


Well, these are some newer horror movies that got a lot of praise from critics:

Berberian Sound Studio

A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night

The Babadook

It Follows


I think there's some more.


Three of those (I didn't care for The Babadook) were amazing, but didn't make as much of an impact as they should have which is a shame. Berberian Sound Studio especially was fantastic.
From what I recall, had Alessa successfully spread the crest throughout the town, the God would've been obliterated, or warded off. Instead Harry stepped in post-God-birth and murderized the shit out of the God. - NarooN
 
 
 
 
 

Silent tHrILL

Member

User avatar

Posts: 119

Joined: Dec 27, 2008

The OFFICIAL State of Silent Hill/Survival Horror thread,II

Post by Silent tHrILL on Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:19 pm

nur_ein_tier wrote:^Which is why I think independent shit has more potential for the future. Mainstream movies and most games, esp horror, have sucked for a good long time now. At least some indie shit is willing to take some chances in both film and games.

Also why I support Troma. I don't even like their movies most of the time, but I like Lloyd Kaufmann and I like how they just give the finger to anyone who thinks you can't do that sort of crazy sick shit.

Same with John Kricfalusi (creator of Ren and Stimpy). I love John K, I don't love all his newer stuff, but I love his vision and what he represents (and his animation style).

I digress as usual, but I think it's all relevant. The general feeling of mainstream stuff has gone totally to shit and people are afraid to take any chances or offend anyone, whether in games, film, animation,etc.


Couldn't agree more!
Bold decisions and big budgets usually don't mix...
 
 
 
 
 
 

Otherworld

Member

User avatar

I'm going to town either way ...

Posts: 6676

Joined: Oct 11, 2013

Location: Canada

The OFFICIAL State of Silent Hill/Survival Horror thread,II

Post by Otherworld on Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:34 pm

Thing is, this franchise has already gone mainstream. So it's too late to turn back now.

Although I would have liked it to stay under the radar, that is not how new ventures get funded, especially when we are talking about video games.
Image
 
 
 
 
 

PEACETALKER

Member

User avatar

Posts: 1002

Joined: Sep 10, 2012

The OFFICIAL State of Silent Hill/Survival Horror thread,II

Post by PEACETALKER on Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:06 am

Are there any worthwhile horror franchise still kicking? I'm aware of RE2 being remade but what the fuck is even left?
From what I recall, had Alessa successfully spread the crest throughout the town, the God would've been obliterated, or warded off. Instead Harry stepped in post-God-birth and murderized the shit out of the God. - NarooN
 
 
 
 
 

Otherworld

Member

User avatar

I'm going to town either way ...

Posts: 6676

Joined: Oct 11, 2013

Location: Canada

The OFFICIAL State of Silent Hill/Survival Horror thread,II

Post by Otherworld on Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:26 am

Resident Evil 7 will be announced at E3
Image
 
 
 
 
 

Alistair

Member

User avatar

Swooping Is Bad!

Posts: 687

Joined: Mar 07, 2014

Location: United States

The OFFICIAL State of Silent Hill/Survival Horror thread,II

Post by Alistair on Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:43 pm

I think Resident Evil 7 and Resident Evil 2's remake will tell us if there is still a place for classic survival horror games. If the rumors are true, there is a chance we could get more games in that style...
With NightCry's release, maybe we'll even see some games like Clock Tower and Haunting Ground again...that would make me happy. :)
Image
 
 
 
 
 

Otherworld

Member

User avatar

I'm going to town either way ...

Posts: 6676

Joined: Oct 11, 2013

Location: Canada

The OFFICIAL State of Silent Hill/Survival Horror thread,II

Post by Otherworld on Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:58 pm

I think The Evil Within 2 is worth a mention here now.

I have not finished the game yet but from what I see so far, this game deserves to be called a true survival horror game.

It is so much better than the 1st instalment.

Image
Image
 
 
 
 
 

jam6i

Member

User avatar

Posts: 2340

Joined: Sep 28, 2011

The OFFICIAL State of Silent Hill/Survival Horror thread,II

Post by jam6i on Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:53 am

So much time has passed since the last Silent Hill, that not only has Resident Evil reclaimed it’s glory, but an entirely new idea has become a benchmark horror franchise.

Silent Hill has been left behind because it was assumed by a bunch of knucklefucks that console gaming was dead.

Perhaps, and it’s just wishful thinking, that Konami sees there is demand for console horror. I don’t even care about Kojima/Del Toro being involved. That chapter of the franchise is now history. They (and we) must look forward, not back.

I think eventually there will be another game. Whether by Konami or by a company that buys the IP.
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.
 
 
 
 
 

Oohfakanorus

Member

User avatar

My Star Sign Is MURDER!

Posts: 2311

Joined: Sep 28, 2011

Location: United Kingdom

The OFFICIAL State of Silent Hill/Survival Horror thread,II

Post by Oohfakanorus on Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:21 pm

jam6i wrote:So much time has passed since the last Silent Hill, that not only has Resident Evil reclaimed it’s glory, but an entirely new idea has become a benchmark horror franchise.

Silent Hill has been left behind because it was assumed by a bunch of knucklefucks that console gaming was dead.

Perhaps, and it’s just wishful thinking, that Konami sees there is demand for console horror. I don’t even care about Kojima/Del Toro being involved. That chapter of the franchise is now history. They (and we) must look forward, not back.

I think eventually there will be another game. Whether by Konami or by a company that buys the IP.


Agree and no PS4 but caught walkthrough of The Evil Within 2.
I'd like to say the Silent Hill titles, up to Downpour set a standard that today's games have to take further.
Silent Hill could never appear without looking retro.
PT (Never got to play it!) showed how first person Silent Hill could be, but then that got spoiled and stolen after Konami just stopped. So there goes Silent Hill as a VR experience.
Trouble is would be not to make it too retro.
If anything would have got made which as of yet is nothing.
No results found for oohfakanorus.
 
 
 
 
 

Otherworld

Member

User avatar

I'm going to town either way ...

Posts: 6676

Joined: Oct 11, 2013

Location: Canada

The OFFICIAL State of Silent Hill/Survival Horror thread,II

Post by Otherworld on Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:45 am

jam6i wrote:So much time has passed since the last Silent Hill, that not only has Resident Evil reclaimed it’s glory, but an entirely new idea has become a benchmark horror franchise.

Silent Hill has been left behind because it was assumed by a bunch of knucklefucks that console gaming was dead.

Perhaps, and it’s just wishful thinking, that Konami sees there is demand for console horror. I don’t even care about Kojima/Del Toro being involved. That chapter of the franchise is now history. They (and we) must look forward, not back.

I think eventually there will be another game. Whether by Konami or by a company that buys the IP.



Unfortunately, I do not share that same outlook for this franchise. As Konami capitalises on the IP of this and other more lucrative IPs in the form of pachinko why would they make another console game for any of them.

I am pretty sure MGS will be done soon as well, and then PES will follow.

As far as selling the IPs, why would they? They are making a killing off the below.

Image

Oohfakanorus wrote:Agree and no PS4 but caught walkthrough of The Evil Within 2.
I'd like to say the Silent Hill titles, up to Downpour set a standard that today's games have to take further.
Silent Hill could never appear without looking retro.
PT (Never got to play it!) showed how first person Silent Hill could be, but then that got spoiled and stolen after Konami just stopped. So there goes Silent Hill as a VR experience.
Trouble is would be not to make it too retro.
If anything would have got made which as of yet is nothing.


What do you mean by retro? Silent Hill does not have take place in any specific date of time.
Image
 
 
 
 
 

Kurosawa

Member

User avatar

Posts: 174

Joined: Mar 10, 2015

Location: Estonia

The OFFICIAL State of Silent Hill/Survival Horror thread,II

Post by Kurosawa on Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:34 am

I believe he meant that a comeback with a Silent Hill game would be seen as retro. A game that people have respect for being a title of a classic series. A series that should be respected for holding up so long in the gaming market, but still not as interesting and hip as newer horror games that have set todays standards that players want.

Sort of like an old athlete returning to compete after a long hiatus or retirement. Half Life episode 3 (most likely will never be released) would be seen as retro since so much time has passed and people might only have interest in it for nostalgia reasons.
 
 
 
 
 
 

Oohfakanorus

Member

User avatar

My Star Sign Is MURDER!

Posts: 2311

Joined: Sep 28, 2011

Location: United Kingdom

The OFFICIAL State of Silent Hill/Survival Horror thread,II

Post by Oohfakanorus on Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:07 am

Well the third person games are still being made.
But by not making Silent Hill stuff anymore they have taken themselves out of the race and allowed others to take over and sell stuff.
I can easily see Silent Hill to the upcoming generations, becoming what The Jimi Hendrix Experience are to us now.
We weren't there at the time for Jimi. But his stuff more than stands up. But in terms of what games can do now etc.
Their learning curve would have been different if there had never been a Silent Hill title.

And yeah, what Kurosawa said!
No results found for oohfakanorus.
 
 
 
Previous


Return to Silent Hill General Discussion



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest