Forum for all other Silent Hill-related discussion.
 
 

Xuchilbara

Moderator

User avatar

The Red God

Posts: 8724

Joined: Feb 21, 2006

Location: United States

The Really Super Real Silent Hill Experience *Updated 01/05*

Post by Xuchilbara on Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:43 am

ERROR wrote:>It was my understanding that he also sold hard copies of soundtrack rips- did he not?<
He did. He also took some of my editing work—I was the first person to start doing the complete soundtrack rips, with SILENT HILL 2—and called it his own, and then had the ballz to try and sell it online.

I wasn't around during this era, but weren't you still friends with him? When you signed up a few years back?
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)
 
 
 
 
 

Meltdown

Member

User avatar

Posts: 951

Joined: Jun 03, 2008

The Really Super Real Silent Hill Experience *Updated 01/05*

Post by Meltdown on Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:34 am

jam6i wrote:The Real Silent Hill Experience: Downpour Review http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y9hNKe93u0

The Downpour review was cut into two major sections, of which they titled:

1.) On It's Own Merit

2.) On the Title's Merit

The first section took up a majority of the review, and was surprisingly well done. It was an entirely objective review of Downpour exclusively, and didn't refer to other games. And for the most part, I did agree with their complaints about the various flawed game mechanics (and everything about the sidequests I completely agreed with). They also addressed some plot points that I couldn't agree more with.
.
I'm just watching it and am disappointed so far. Even their "on its own merit" part they immediately started chiding it for its cover and the game pamphlet. I mean come on, most games these days only have essential gameplay info in their manuals, like controller layout. No. The entire thing was just more obviously biased TP crap, especially from Fungo and his endless sarcastic remarks. It was either sarcasm and backhanded compliments in part one, or just typical fanboyism in part two. I mean really, they couldn't even begin the review before spending a full five minutes+ talking about the boxart. Fungo, more than the other guys, is the one who bugs me. He just nitpicks everything. Like complaining that it is obvious Murphy is there to confront his past, but that the game doesn't give us any reason to care about his conflict/past. But you know very well that he did not have the same problem with James from SH2, who was also drawn into the town to confront his past, and we were also not given any reason to care. When they attacked Downpour for combat mechanics and for the fact that you can just run away from all enemies, I mean come on. Welcome to the Silent Hill series. The original Team Silent games had horrendous combat mechanics. Harry operated like a tank, and in 2 and 3 you could just run past and away from about 90% of all monsters.

I don't know. I guess they just rub me the wrong way with their attitudes and presentation. I am myself, perhaps, biased against them just because they are so damn rude, and needlessly so.
Hopscotch chalk is made with lead!
 
 
 
 
 

jam6i

Member

User avatar

Posts: 2339

Joined: Sep 28, 2011

The Really Super Real Silent Hill Experience *Updated 01/05*

Post by jam6i on Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:18 pm

^Oh, yea. You have to look past their childish attitudes and obsessive nit-picking. The first thing they make fun of is the cover, yea, so you can ignore that. They love comparing to Team Silent games, and right from the beginning they compare Downpour's cover to SH1's cover.

I didn't mind the first part too much, as long as you can look past the sarcasm and condescension (be sure to bring a telescope for that, you'll need it).
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.
 
 
 
 
 

aglaophotics

Member

User avatar

Posts: 314

Joined: Mar 14, 2014

The Really Super Real Silent Hill Experience *Updated 01/05*

Post by aglaophotics on Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:45 pm

I think they're funny, if not entertaining. I can't take a video so seriously that they make me upset, i take it for what it is. It's their video, whatever.
 
 
 
 
 
 

Naroon

Member

User avatar

Pillman's got a gun!

Posts: 5326

Joined: Mar 29, 2011

Location: United States

The Really Super Real Silent Hill Experience *Updated 01/05*

Post by Naroon on Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:05 pm

People weren't pissed about their tone and childishness, they were pissed about the blatant lies and misinformation TP were peddling to people with the videos. Annoyingly, their little campaign worked, and even worse, some fans were introduced to the series with those videos, and wound up taking everything that was said in the videos as gospel. It was especially annoying having to deal with those sorts of people back in 2011, which as you may notice was the year I signed up here. I don't remember how I found out about this place, but I was generally attracted due to the site's population -- a population which was straight-up and honest, rather than full of bullshit. I came here because I got sick of trying to explain to people why many of TP's "factual evidence" was in fact nothing but crap.

I never watched the Downpour one, mainly because it was just too goddamned long, just like many of their other videos in that series. It's very possible to get all your critiques and rants, however nonsensical they may be, out in a much more condensed, succinct manner. It's not that my attention span was too small (even though it generally is in most cases), it's that I could simply do much more in an hour+ than listen to two dorks and their dork faux-servant make terrible jokes about grape soda.
Image
 
 
 
 
 

jam6i

Member

User avatar

Posts: 2339

Joined: Sep 28, 2011

The Really Super Real Silent Hill Experience *Updated 01/05*

Post by jam6i on Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:35 pm

The first five minutes of the DP review actually had nothing to do with the game, it was a scripted segment about...something kind of irrelevant. And they could have condensed the review, easily, into an hour or so by cutting out a lot of their bickering and arguing about who said what, who said what when, what that person meant when they said it, and most importantly, how WRONG Tomm and the gang were about virtually everything they ever said. There was a lot of "you're wrong"s and "we're right"s in the second portion.

Just don't take it seriously, and you'll be fine.

I did actually laugh aloud at one point in the review, as they brought up something that never occurred to me: they were discussing the "peek in" mechanic of the doors, and were making fun of the fact that the first time the game uses this mechanic is on a door that you can already see through . That made me laugh, and then wonder how that could have gotten past development.
Last edited by jam6i on Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:49 pm.
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.
 
 
 
 
 

JKristine35

Member

User avatar

Posts: 582

Joined: Mar 22, 2012

The Really Super Real Silent Hill Experience *Updated 01/05*

Post by JKristine35 on Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:36 pm

What Naroon said. I can't tell you how many times people have posted TP's review of the first movie as "evidence" that people who like it don't understand anything about the series and are delusional assholes. Trying to explain to these people that the one world theory is bs, that TP got just as many plot points wrong as they did right, and that they took several of Gans's quotes WAY out of context is a seemingly endless chore. Usually these people won't listen because TP told them to hate the movie so by God they're going to hate it. Seriously, they claimed it was Sharon who was running away from Rose in Silent Hill, and that she was doing it for some unexplained reason. How little attention do you have to have paid to something to misunderstand such a hugely obvious plot point like that?

I feel that TP's fanaticism and blatant lies have made this fanbase worse than it already was. Just look at the posts made by their fanatical adherents, such as Sam on Tomm's blog or Dawn Past in the Silent Hill fans FB group.
 
 
 
 
 
 

ERROR

Member

User avatar

Posts: 1237

Joined: Nov 21, 2007

Location: #lfk

The Really Super Real Silent Hill Experience *Updated 01/05*

Post by ERROR on Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:19 pm

>I wasn't around during this era, but weren't you still friends with him? When you signed up a few years back?<
Friends? He was perpetually trying to "outdo" me, to get the attention I was given for theories and media, &c. So he essentially took the work I was doing, called it his own, and slapped This post brought to you by Fungo on everything.

I wouldn't exactly call that friendship.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
 
 
 
 
 

Xuchilbara

Moderator

User avatar

The Red God

Posts: 8724

Joined: Feb 21, 2006

Location: United States

The Really Super Real Silent Hill Experience *Updated 01/05*

Post by Xuchilbara on Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:10 pm

Disinformation is bound to spread on complexities such as the silent hill series. It's really not different than the incorrect information put out by other theories that were popularized, such as some stuff by President Evil, though to his credit he was lied to, and even worse other things like PH is red so it's the red hod that a lot of people believed. It's worse in the pagan community, the disinformation passed as fact and really I think it has something to do with American cultures where ignorance is wide spread. Nothing is worse than an ignorant person who thinks they know things.

My main thing is that I don't think it's a big deal and everyone gets made at Fungo for being popular and dazzling people with pretty well edited videos, but TP wanted that kind of attention. They got it being controversial. I kind of wish other people on the opposite side of TP would give it a rest. It'll pass just as the other stuff did. For myself, I can only correct people with primary sources. I can't make them believe anything. That's all I can hope to do. Well, anyway I got my own theories and explanations, I'd rather concentrate on that than hating TP. There's no point. It breaks down into petty arguments and drama. I mean, there was a reason I didn't attack Fungo or Ross personally. There are people I don't respect, but since I've met a whole lot worse I tend to not care about them in that manner so much.



@ERROR Oh, ok. I knew you guys had known eachother for awhile but I didn't know your relationship. I only remember you veing friends with F back in the day.
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)
 
 
 
 
 

jam6i

Member

User avatar

Posts: 2339

Joined: Sep 28, 2011

The Really Super Real Silent Hill Experience *Updated 01/05*

Post by jam6i on Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:50 pm

Back when i first started getting into online communities about SH (2005 or 2006) Fungo was like the celebrity of the online communities. It was the first real name i became familiar with, and he seemed to be a huge part of it. I think i even communicated with him a few times (under a different name). So yea, I guess things just change.

What other questions are there that op wants to address?
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.
 
 
 
 
 

Trauma

Member

User avatar

Resident Dickbutt

Posts: 187

Joined: Oct 04, 2011

The Really Super Real Silent Hill Experience *Updated 01/05*

Post by Trauma on Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:44 pm

jam6i wrote:Back when i first started getting into online communities about SH (2005 or 2006) Fungo was like the celebrity of the online communities. It was the first real name i became familiar with, and he seemed to be a huge part of it. I think i even communicated with him a few times (under a different name). So yea, I guess things just change.

What other questions are there that op wants to address?

So far I'm working on refuting the Single Dimension Theory, as well as a post dedicated few miscellaneous bits of misinformation (4 wasn't meant to be a SH game, Samael is the name of the god...etc). More stuff may pop up if I'm suggested something worth investigating.
 
 
 
 
 
 

CrazyCatLady

Member

User avatar

Queen of Alien Relations

Posts: 5074

Joined: Sep 05, 2011

Location: United States

The Really Super Real Silent Hill Experience *Updated 01/05*

Post by CrazyCatLady on Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:50 am

Well, I look forward to reading anything more you produce! :3
Image
 
 
 
 
 

Vestige

Member

User avatar

Posts: 1439

Joined: Nov 19, 2012

The Really Super Real Silent Hill Experience *Updated 01/05*

Post by Vestige on Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:17 pm

Trauma wrote:No rock unturned. . .
No hapless condescension
NO FUCKING GRAPE SODA
GET READY FOR . . .

Great read, keep em cummin', btw this image sums up what i think about their Grape Soda :evil::

Image
Image
 
 
 
 
 

Xuchilbara

Moderator

User avatar

The Red God

Posts: 8724

Joined: Feb 21, 2006

Location: United States

The Really Super Real Silent Hill Experience *Updated 01/05*

Post by Xuchilbara on Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:29 pm

My videos:http://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6EC4F15F5598CCD3


I also did in depth criticism on my tumblr. I'll pull those links up soon.
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)
 
 
 
 
 

Vestige

Member

User avatar

Posts: 1439

Joined: Nov 19, 2012

The Really Super Real Silent Hill Experience *Updated 01/05*

Post by Vestige on Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:50 pm

Purramid_Head wrote:My videos:http://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6EC4F15F5598CCD3


I also did in depth criticism on my tumblr. I'll pull those links up soon.

Dankyu! I've seen a few, will have to view the ones missing, always good to see your channel ^^.
Image
 
 
 
 
 

Xuchilbara

Moderator

User avatar

The Red God

Posts: 8724

Joined: Feb 21, 2006

Location: United States

The Really Super Real Silent Hill Experience *Updated 01/05*

Post by Xuchilbara on Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:15 pm

Well I found some of my old posts from tumblr on this. I haven't recovered the rest.

Stuff missed by the doc

TRSHE:Samael

The rest of my reviews should be here and here. You'll have to scroll down to the bottom for the earliest.... I covered most of the doc. I haven't done a review for their downpour video at all.
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)
 
 
 
 
 

ERROR

Member

User avatar

Posts: 1237

Joined: Nov 21, 2007

Location: #lfk

The Really Super Real Silent Hill Experience *Updated 01/05*

Post by ERROR on Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:28 pm

>Back when i first started getting into online communities about SH (2005 or 2006) Fungo was like the celebrity of the online communities.<
That's funny. So was I. He hated it. It's pretty funny, thinking about it.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
 
 
 
 
 

Wilsden Hills

Member

User avatar

...#*%...!$@#<...

Posts: 788

Joined: Nov 22, 2013

Location: United Kingdom

The Really Super Real Silent Hill Experience *Updated 01/05*

Post by Wilsden Hills on Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:29 pm

^ Ah the conceits of the overblown and fragile ego. Still, his soundtracks have all been downloaded for nowt so I'm grateful for that. Did nobody else read the interview with Keiichi Toyama in the PSM.IGN article, in which he explicitly states that whatever you want to read into the background or unimplied details of the games are all perfectly valid? Ambiguity is deliberately woven into the fabric of the story / universe, ideally to leave space for the individual to think deeper about various aspects. Hey, these games are educational and self-improving as well as damned freaky!

I recently tried watching some of the TPRSHE videos but gave up after a short while, pretty much as soon as they started dissing other opinions such as those from the Book Of Lost Memories. Varying opinions on what the chuff it's all about are fascinating, but the minute someone starts laying into another person's take and presenting themselves as a definitive voice the bullshit radar goes into overdrive.

I'll have a good read through those links tomorrow Purr, looking forward to it. I haven't played the games nearly enough to have started figuring out in my own mind what I think may lurk behind the near-impenetrable screen yet, but for certain my thoughts won't be invaded by the cocksure ramblings of folks with egos the size of TPs.
No-one can judge you baby, they don't live your life....
 
 
 
 
 

PEACETALKER

Member

User avatar

Posts: 1002

Joined: Sep 10, 2012

The Really Super Real Silent Hill Experience *Updated 01/05*

Post by PEACETALKER on Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:54 pm

Maybe we shouldn't try dissecting these things as anything more then the games presented to us. I mean its fun and stuff but like the rhetoric you guys have for TP sometimes is SUPER rough. Like come on who really cares that much? This ain't no James Joyce Finnegans Wake, ya heard?
From what I recall, had Alessa successfully spread the crest throughout the town, the God would've been obliterated, or warded off. Instead Harry stepped in post-God-birth and murderized the shit out of the God. - NarooN
 
 
 
 
 

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

User avatar

Posts: 6801

Joined: Jan 18, 2006

The Really Super Real Silent Hill Experience *Updated 01/05*

Post by nur_ein_tier on Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:56 pm

BillMurraylives wrote:Like come on who really cares that much?

I certainly don't.
ImageImageImage
 
 
 
PreviousNext


Return to Silent Hill General Discussion



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests