Forum for all other Silent Hill-related discussion.

Lilith

Mind of Destructive Taste

The Really Super Real Silent Hill Experience *Updated 01/05*

Post by Lilith on Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:08 pm

They parted ways over a year ago. Fungo mostly working solo on normal video game videos. They don't stir any controversy anymore. The downpour one was their last video, I think. I don't think fungo was even in it that much. I mostly remember Ross.
I cease to exist on the Christmas list

Meltdown

Post by Meltdown on Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:43 am

What sad individuals. For a dude who loved Silent Hill as much as Fungo appeared to, they really didn't do the franchise or fan base any favors.
Hopscotch chalk is made with lead!

Lilith

Post by Lilith on Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:00 am

I disagree. I wouldn't be here if it were not for fungo and SHM was a really good source of rare content back in the day.

Meltdown

Post by Meltdown on Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:11 am

That must have been before my time.. I don't recall them ever being a good source of info, but then again I haven't been around that long or been that active in the SH community. I didn't start paying attention to them until they did TRSHE and I was not impressed.

Lilith

Post by Lilith on Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:48 am

Back circe 2006, Fungo had Silent Hill media, he had the simulated version of lost memories dvd, completed soundtracks of most of the games, and a bunch of other rare media. He also did videos of rare sound files in the games and other lost content in the games. He even got Silent Hill origins ost up and running before a lot of people.

Alex Townshend

Post by Alex Townshend on Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:19 am

I used to admire Fungo and had a lot of respect for his work, but that slowly changed.
He seemed like the guy I could relax with, but now, he just comes off as vehement and greedy nowadays.

I heard he used to sell fan SH OSTs, there's a PayPal donation thing on SHM, and the whole "vote with your money" thing, asking for donations. Eck.

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:34 am

I used to use SHM a lot back in the day. Fungo even helped me with some rare songs via email a few times as well. I'd say he did do a lot of good for the community back in the day, but I lost respect for him after the whole TRSHE debacle. Oh well...

Lilith

Post by Lilith on Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:26 am

All the ost's were free for me. The donation thing might've been for the site and it's no different than what other sites do. I don't recall him ever charging to use or download the media. It was always free.

Trauma

Resident Dickbutt

Post by Trauma on Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:55 pm

It was my understanding that he also sold hard copies of soundtrack rips- did he not?

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:22 pm

I did see his review of "Gone Home", and it was heavily critical of the game, which was a shock to me since everyone else either really liked it or really loved it (i loved it). He just seems to be overly critical for the sake of being overly critical.

His change of tone is weird, because I remember years ago (like others mentioned) his involvement in extracting sounds from the games and putting them online, among other projects. He seemed to be really into the series, until Team Silent disbanded and he became more than a little sour towards it.

It's a shame that their researching abilities go towards pure criticism, instead of unbiased opinion. I actually liked most of their "RSHE" series....up until that part where the games were no longer made by Team Silent. Once that transition occurred, they started laying the criticism on thick, and that whole "comparison" schtick got old fast.
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:53 pm

TRSHE was enjoyable until it got to SH4. It's been three years since I saw that part, but I distinctly remember them talking about the game for about five minutes before just making a laughing stock of it and berating it a bit, and then they got to Origins and it was just over there. Everyone knows how it goes from there. I was pretty heavily disappointed, since when I originally watched it, I didn't finish seeing it, but I realized there was no point because it was far from a documentary at that point.

Lilith

Post by Lilith on Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:33 pm

Most of their downpour one wasn't that bad, tbh.

Crystopsy

Canadian Role Model

Post by Crystopsy on Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:14 pm

Agreed. Their Downpour review was pretty solid, at least the first 50 minutes or so, anyway.

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Jesus blows up balloons all day

Post by nur_ein_tier on Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:43 pm

Purramid_Head wrote:All the ost's were free for me. The donation thing might've been for the site and it's no different than what other sites do. I don't recall him ever charging to use or download the media. It was always free.

I think you had to pay for a while to download and then he changed it. I remember paying. At the time, if you clicked on any link to download anything, you would be asked for a password which could only be had by donating for bandwidth costs.

As for the reviews, I didn't watch the Downpour one. Their vids were just too fucking long, in addition to the problem of presenting opinions as facts.
ImageImage

Lilith

Post by Lilith on Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:19 pm

The downpour for the first half is different. They did actually look at the game objectively. The last half is the problem.

Silent Wanderer

Children of the Korn

Post by Silent Wanderer on Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:20 pm

I still haven't watched any of it. What do I win? :P

Meltdown

Post by Meltdown on Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:21 pm

Can someone link to the Downpour review they did? I can't find it.. I would agree with the general consensus in this thread that their Team Silent reviews were not bad, but they really just tore apart the later games in an obviously biased and subjective manner. I mean, they had their flaws, but so did the Team Silent games. I think most of us enjoyed the originals best, but most SHC members seem to be able to see the good in the later games as well.

They really represent the worst in the Silent Hill fan-base in my opinion. Very close-minded, and just too wrapped up in the Team Silent games.

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:20 am

The Real Silent Hill Experience: Downpour Review http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y9hNKe93u0

The Downpour review was cut into two major sections, of which they titled:

1.) On It's Own Merit

2.) On the Title's Merit

The first section took up a majority of the review, and was surprisingly well done. It was an entirely objective review of Downpour exclusively, and didn't refer to other games. And for the most part, I did agree with their complaints about the various flawed game mechanics (and everything about the sidequests I completely agreed with). They also addressed some plot points that I couldn't agree more with.

But after that, the rest of the video was just Team Silent fanaticism, and they absolutely destroyed Downpour by comparing it to the first few games in every conceivable way possible.

What struck me as kind of immature on their part was their mocking of Tomm and Devin and others. Whenever they read a quote, they did it in a condescending imitation of the person who originally said it. They did this every time there was a quote. It was funny at first, but they must have had over 20 different quotes, and by the end it was like "geez....what are you guys in 3rd grade? This isn't funny or cool".

So yea, watching the first hour or so of the 2 hour review of Downpour is, admittedly, probably worth your time, and you'll probably find yourself shaking your head in agreement with the things they say. However once it reaches the second portion, you can zone out because it's just Team Silent praising from then onwards.
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.

ERROR

Post by ERROR on Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:37 am

>It was my understanding that he also sold hard copies of soundtrack rips- did he not?<
He did. He also took some of my editing work—I was the first person to start doing the complete soundtrack rips, with SILENT HILL 2—and called it his own, and then had the ballz to try and sell it online.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Alex Townshend

Post by Alex Townshend on Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:35 am

ERROR wrote:>It was my understanding that he also sold hard copies of soundtrack rips- did he not?<
He did. He also took some of my editing work—I was the first person to start doing the complete soundtrack rips, with SILENT HILL 2—and called it his own, and then had the ballz to try and sell it online.

That reminds me of all the renders I made intended for Silent Hill Wiki, for both characters and monsters.

I worked HOURS Photoshopping, trimming, tone correcting, etc, only to discover my renders used in TP's videos. :roll: And of course, no credit was given, and wiki bashing followed.

For example, I pretty much did all the character renders here, which they took and used in one banner:

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... 1260_n.jpg

Another image I made was a fan composite of Shattered Memories Cheryl, which took a few days to complete:

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/ori ... rofile.png

only to be taken and used in their dimension theory video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... Sm64#t=104

Now, I don't claim to be the copyright owner or artist, but I still think it's extremely douchey to not give credit, and bash a website then plagiarize from it after.

PreviousNext

Return to Silent Hill General Discussion