Forum for all other Silent Hill-related discussion.
 
 

Trauma

Member

User avatar

Resident Dickbutt

Posts: 187

Joined: Oct 04, 2011

The Really Super Real Silent Hill Experience *Updated 01/05*

Post by Trauma on Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:12 pm

I’ve decided to take the time to ruin it for everyone. I’ll go through several controversial (read; dead horse) issues and theories and nitpick the shit out of them in one definitive topic. I’ll also be linking to a few already well thought out critiques for easy access. Each theory will have its own dedicated post so this doesn't turn into a formatting nightmare. I’m also open to any suggestions on matters worth investigating.

No rock unturned. . .
No hapless condescension
NO FUCKING GRAPE SODA
GET READY FOR . . .


The Boiler Explosion/Accidental Fire (AKA Single Bullshit Theory)

A common theory brought up since at least 2005 (though I have it on good authority that this theory probably pre-dates Silent Hill 4) is that the fire was unintentional, and a result of a boiler explosion during the impregnation ritual. This is demonstrably not the case.

The evidence usually mentioned is a memo not found in the North American version of the game [01] as well as the Manifestations of Delusions [02] article found in a classroom.

Fire Article wrote:Fire broke out in town.
6 homes destroyed.
Charred body of Alessa Gillespie (7) found in aftermath.
Cause of fire currently under investigation.
Investigations show source as basement of Gillespie home.
Blaze now believed caused by malfunction of antiquated boiler.


Manifestations of Delusions wrote:Poltergeists are among these. Negative
emotions like fear, worry or stress
manifest into external energy with
physical effects. Nightmares have, in
some cases, been shown to trigger them.
However, one such phenomenon doesn't
appear to happen to just anyone. Although
it's not clear why, adolescents, especially
girls, are prone to such occurrences.


I submit that these 2 articles provide insufficient proof of such an occurrence. I also submit that the Manifestations of Delusions article has nothing to do with the nature of the fire itself.

As for the Fire Article- A simulacrum so as not to draw attention to the cult’s deeds. Which leads me to. . .

The Ritual
The ritual in question was to impregnate Alessa to act as a surrogate mother for the cult’s god. The controversy revolves around whether the fire was intentional or not.

Silent Hill Official Guidebook Complete Edition Q&A [03] wrote: Q: What was the cause of the fire that broke out seven years ago?
A: A ritual that Dahlia performed using Alessa.
. . . The ritual process involved a great deal of fire, which consequently escalated into a conflagration. . .


Some people cite Silent Hill Origins as incorrectly interpreting the events of the first game and depicting the impregnation ritual as some sort of immolation rite.

They also claim that the fire was a result of a boiler explosion caused by Alessa’s heightened stress level during the impregnation ritual. Cited is the Silent Hill Official Guidebook Complete Edition saying that “. . .the ritual involved a great deal of fire. . .”, this is however taken completely out of context.

We observe during the events of Silent Hill 3, when reading Harry’s notebook that he mentions the immolation ritual. . . [04]

Harry’s Notebook wrote:17 years ago —, I came to Silent Hill.
I heard the girl's pleas and took her with me, not knowing why
she wanted us to go there. And it was there that the girl went
away. Not that she actually went anywhere, nor did she die.
'Returned to her original self'...that's what Dahlia Gillespie said.
'Original self'... That was the young woman burned by her mother as a
sacrifice to God... Alessa Gillespie


True, Harry’s word is worth nothing as he was not at the ritual, but this does act as developers intent [05], and acts as a recap for people who have not played the first game.

Further, why would the ritual would involve “a great deal of fire” but not be the scene of an immolation of some sort?

The Coverup
Silent Hill Official Guidebook Complete Edition Q&A wrote:Q: Did Alessa die in the fire seven years ago?
A: She survived.

After Alessa was successfully impregnated with the God, she was placed in a basement storage room at Alchemilla Hospital under the care of Lisa Garland. There, she was kept in a state of constant agony for 7 years. To prevent the God from being born she split her soul. Half of which became Cheryl.

The fact that a basement storeroom is cleared out in advance (or at all) raises a few flags. This shows that they had no intention of keeping Alessa with the rest of the patients in the facility, which is indicative that there is quite a lot they accounted for. What could this mean. . .? Let’s see. . .

In the Nowhere section of Silent Hill 1, we are treated to a cutscene depicting Kaufmann, Dahlia and a few doctors crowded around Alessa’s beside. Dahlia makes a comment about how “everything is going according to plan” [06]. Kind of odd for someone whose daughter was nearly killed by the ritual and further had her plans delayed by years. That seems like quite the opposite of “according to plan”. Personally, I’d consider that quite the setback.

Silent Hill Official Guidebook Complete Edition wrote:In the game, it is reported that Alessa's "charred body was found." Although the records show that she had died, she was secretly taken to Alchemilla Hospital and nursed for seven years in the hospital basement. Kaufmann prepared a substitute body; it's possible he was also the one who performed the "autopsy."


Why would Kauffman prepare a double if the fire was completely accidental? The game already demonstrates the he’s involved in the course of events. He also assigns a young nurse to Alessa’s care at some point. In Silent Hill 3, while in Brookhaven Hospital we’re shown a cutscene with an audio recording of her at Alessa’s bedside. [07]

Lisa wrote:Still has an unusually high fever...
Eyes don’t open... getting a pulse.
But just barely breathing.
Why! What is keeping that child alive?


What is keeping Alessa alive is the demon god within her. [08]
Dahlia Gillespie wrote:It's been a long seven years...

For the seven years since that terrible day, Alessa has been kept alive, suffering a fate worse than death. Alessa has been trapped in an endless nightmare, from which she never awakens.

"He" has been nurtured by that nightmare. Waiting for the day to be born. That day has finally come


Odds and Ends

According to the Silent Hill Official Guidebook Complete Edition- it's heavily implied the cult has attempted the impregnation rites before- and failed. . .

Silent Hill Official Guidebook Complete Edition wrote:The technique to impregnate the womb of a human mother with the malevolent god had been
carried out many times in order to achieve that end, but it had always failed. Among the mysterious disappearances that took place in town, there are cases in which young girls were abducted by the cult as prospective surrogate mothers (although most of them were simply young people who grew tired of the countryside and left for the city).


According to this, the cult has been kidnapping young girls, it is not known whether or not they’d survived the ritual but considering the nature of it and no mention of their return- it’s safe to say they didn’t.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • It’s also worth noting that Silent Hill 3 contains several references to immolation, specifically in the context of ritual sacrifice.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Q-If all this is true- why didn’t Claudia try to burn Heather at every encounter they had
A- A common straw man, as the baby handed to Harry at the end of Silent Hill 1 already contained the seed of god within it- another impregnation ritual was not necessary. We see later that the Memory of Alessa tries to kill Heather to prevent the God from being born again to corroborate this.

This did however necessitate Claudia inflicting a profound amount of pain on Heather in a way she knew Heather couldn’t ignore. To do this, Claudia murdered Harry in cold blood.

Q. This tweet from Masahiro Ito mentions the boiler explosion- so it must be true!
A. Ito was the monster/background designer- not the scenario writer. He also said that he forgot.

Epilogue
From all this we can discern that the cult has been trying to summon the god for quite some time now, but have failed repeatedly. Dahlia gets it in her head that she can use Alessa as the vessel and hastily carries out the ritual in the basement of her own home. Afterwards, she splits her soul, which necessitates Dahlia to use a special incantation in order to bring the other half back.

Alessa is then placed in a basement storeroom in Alchemilla Hospital under the care of Lisa Garland, and a few other doctors who were in on the plot. Kaufmann (who is only using the cult for his own ends) then used his status as a public figure to falsify reports, come up with a cover story and prepare a substitute body. And we’re supposed to believe that all this planning, preparation, and accounting for nearly every possible variable was just a big cosmic oopsie?

You decide.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sources
[01]http://silenthill.wikia.com/wiki/Fire_Article
[02]http://silenthill.wikia.com/wiki/Manifestations_of_Delusions
[03]http://silenthillchronicle.net/shkgb.htm
Q: What was the cause of the fire that broke out seven years ago?
A: A ritual that Dahlia performed using Alessa.
[04]http://silenthill.wikia.com/wiki/Harry's_Notebook
[05]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authorial_intent
[06]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSuQ_gjpW4s [50:45]
[07]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foR0qrEFY18
[08]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSuQ_gjpW4s [53:22]
Last edited by Trauma on Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:06 pm.
 
 
 
 
 
 

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

User avatar

Posts: 6781

Joined: Jan 18, 2006

The Really Super Real Silent Hill Experience *Updated 01/05*

Post by nur_ein_tier on Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:17 pm

I think the other topic where we did this before got buried somewhere. When I watched TRSHE I emailed Jeremy Blaustein about the cult/order thing, but I don't even remember the details. It's been too long, and the videos are too long and too full of them trying to put out their opinions as facts, so I just don't think it's worth it to waste my time on the subject anymore.

I think people are just too lazy to pay attention to official sources and the games themselves for the answers, so they latch onto other people's opinions.
ImageImageImage
 
 
 
 
 

Xuchilbara

Moderator

User avatar

The Red God

Posts: 8702

Joined: Feb 21, 2006

Location: United States

The Really Super Real Silent Hill Experience *Updated 01/05*

Post by Xuchilbara on Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:25 pm

I covered it in a video years ago.
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)
 
 
 
 
 

Trauma

Member

User avatar

Resident Dickbutt

Posts: 187

Joined: Oct 04, 2011

The Really Super Real Silent Hill Experience *Updated 01/05*

Post by Trauma on Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:06 pm

Purramid_Head wrote:I covered it in a video years ago.

I think I saw that a while back- no disrespect intended but I remember it being incredibly hard to follow (if you want to link it though so I can watch it again I'd appreciate it). That's the one advantage TP have is the luxury of professional equipment and editing software. I also don't like to drag things on any longer than they have to be which is why I kept my post relatively brief.
 
 
 
 
 
 

Guerilla

Member

Posts: 168

Joined: Jan 06, 2014

The Really Super Real Silent Hill Experience *Updated 01/05*

Post by Guerilla on Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:01 pm

Ito confirmed Mary never stayed at Brookhaven.

Image
Last edited by Guerilla on Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:03 pm.
 
 
 
 
 
 

Xuchilbara

Moderator

User avatar

The Red God

Posts: 8702

Joined: Feb 21, 2006

Location: United States

The Really Super Real Silent Hill Experience *Updated 01/05*

Post by Xuchilbara on Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:01 pm

I can when I'm on a computer. I have yo dig it up because I've made a ton of videos since then, lol.
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)
 
 
 
 
 

CrazyCatLady

Member

User avatar

Queen of Alien Relations

Posts: 5074

Joined: Sep 05, 2011

Location: United States

The Really Super Real Silent Hill Experience *Updated 01/05*

Post by CrazyCatLady on Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:17 pm

Guerilla wrote:Ito confirmed Mary never stayed at Brookhaven.

Image


It's pretty well-known that she never stayed there. I'm fairly certain that she stayed at St. Jerome's since the nurse that cared for Mary is also mentioned in 4 to work at St. Jerome's.
Image
 
 
 
 
 

Trauma

Member

User avatar

Resident Dickbutt

Posts: 187

Joined: Oct 04, 2011

The Really Super Real Silent Hill Experience *Updated 01/05*

Post by Trauma on Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:48 pm

Guerilla wrote:Ito confirmed Mary never stayed at Brookhaven.

Image

He's the monster designer/art director first and foremost. That and he can barely remember anything half the time anyways. The theory states that she was only there for a week at most however. I'll leave ERROR to defend his own theory if he chooses.
 
 
 
 
 
 

CrazyCatLady

Member

User avatar

Queen of Alien Relations

Posts: 5074

Joined: Sep 05, 2011

Location: United States

The Really Super Real Silent Hill Experience *Updated 01/05*

Post by CrazyCatLady on Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:01 pm

I've gone round and round with this argument, so I'm staying out of it this time. :lol: I've already said my peace on that theory in another thread.
Last edited by CrazyCatLady on Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:06 pm.
Image
 
 
 
 
 

what

Moderator

User avatar

From behind the veil

Posts: 2322

Joined: May 21, 2009

Location: United States

The Really Super Real Silent Hill Experience *Updated 01/05*

Post by what on Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:03 pm

Awesome job. I can't wait to see you dissect mine.
 
 
 
 
 
 

Trauma

Member

User avatar

Resident Dickbutt

Posts: 187

Joined: Oct 04, 2011

The Really Super Real Silent Hill Experience *Updated 01/05*

Post by Trauma on Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:14 pm

what wrote:Awesome job. I can't wait to see you dissect mine.

You're safe :lol: . I figured I may as well just save time by linking to existing critiques that were more than adequate. Thanks for the kind words though, been a while since I've done something like this.
 
 
 
 
 
 

Guerilla

Member

Posts: 168

Joined: Jan 06, 2014

The Really Super Real Silent Hill Experience *Updated 01/05*

Post by Guerilla on Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:07 am

Well, part of his job as an art director/monster designer is creating creatures and environments that coincide with what goes on in the story. So he would have needed to be informed quite a bit about the games' narrative and working with those doing the writing to accomplish this. He may not be able to recall every single aspect of each game's entire storyline, but he's made enough tweets to make it apparent he knows a good bit about the stories. He's also fairly up front when it comes to things he doesn't know or isn't sure about. But in that tweet, it's just a simple no which in turns tells me he's fairly certain of that answer.

But in any case, the Brookhaven thing has always been a mere theory anyway. There was never any substantial evidence proving it to be true. Just people overanalyzing.
 
 
 
 
 
 

JKristine35

Member

User avatar

Posts: 582

Joined: Mar 22, 2012

The Really Super Real Silent Hill Experience *Updated 01/05*

Post by JKristine35 on Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:14 am

Sadly, no matter how much evidence you provide, you'll never be able to convince many followers of TRSHE. I saw a girl actually try to debate the meaning of the word "involve" in a desperate effort to disprove the guidebook quote about the ritual involving fire. :roll:
 
 
 
 
 
 

Guerilla

Member

Posts: 168

Joined: Jan 06, 2014

The Really Super Real Silent Hill Experience *Updated 01/05*

Post by Guerilla on Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:18 am

JKristine35 wrote:Sadly, no matter how much evidence you provide, you'll never be able to convince many followers of TRSHE. I saw a girl actually try to debate the meaning of the word "involve" in a desperate effort to disprove the guidebook quote about the ritual involving fire. :roll:
Not like it matters anymore. Fungo and Ross have gone their separate ways and the TP fanbase seems to have schismed as a result. Many just seem to be fawning over the new check who replaced Fungo.
 
 
 
 
 
 

Trauma

Member

User avatar

Resident Dickbutt

Posts: 187

Joined: Oct 04, 2011

The Really Super Real Silent Hill Experience *Updated 01/05*

Post by Trauma on Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:22 am

JKristine35 wrote:Sadly, no matter how much evidence you provide, you'll never be able to convince many followers of TRSHE. I saw a girl actually try to debate the meaning of the word "involve" in a desperate effort to disprove the guidebook quote about the ritual involving fire. :roll:

That wasn't in the Silent Hill Fans group by any chance was it? If so, that's [partly] what prompted the topic on the SHH forum, and it's mirroring on this forum.
 
 
 
 
 
 

JKristine35

Member

User avatar

Posts: 582

Joined: Mar 22, 2012

The Really Super Real Silent Hill Experience *Updated 01/05*

Post by JKristine35 on Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:25 am

Trauma wrote:
JKristine35 wrote:Sadly, no matter how much evidence you provide, you'll never be able to convince many followers of TRSHE. I saw a girl actually try to debate the meaning of the word "involve" in a desperate effort to disprove the guidebook quote about the ritual involving fire. :roll:

That wasn't in the Silent Hill Fans group by any chance was it? If so, that's [partly] what prompted the topic on the SHH forum, and it's mirroring on this forum.

That's exactly what I'm talking about.
 
 
 
 
 
 

Trauma

Member

User avatar

Resident Dickbutt

Posts: 187

Joined: Oct 04, 2011

The Really Super Real Silent Hill Experience *Updated 01/05*

Post by Trauma on Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:27 am

Yeah, I figured it would be a good time killer to condense all my posts from there into one. I've [mostly] stayed back from all that, it's gotten way too out of hand.
 
 
 
 
 
 

Meltdown

Member

User avatar

Posts: 951

Joined: Jun 03, 2008

The Really Super Real Silent Hill Experience *Updated 01/05*

Post by Meltdown on Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:47 am

JKristine35 wrote:Sadly, no matter how much evidence you provide, you'll never be able to convince many followers of TRSHE. I saw a girl actually try to debate the meaning of the word "involve" in a desperate effort to disprove the guidebook quote about the ritual involving fire. :roll:

Ha, sounds like a real "Antonin Scalia arguing about the punctuation in the Constitution" type situation.
Hopscotch chalk is made with lead!
 
 
 
 
 

Naroon

Member

User avatar

Pillman's got a gun!

Posts: 5326

Joined: Mar 29, 2011

Location: United States

The Really Super Real Silent Hill Experience *Updated 01/05*

Post by Naroon on Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:00 am

This is a great topic, Trauma. I'll probably end up linking back to this topic anytime someone decides to propagate their BS elsewhere or what have you.
Image
 
 
 
 
 

jam6i

Member

User avatar

Posts: 2339

Joined: Sep 28, 2011

The Really Super Real Silent Hill Experience *Updated 01/05*

Post by jam6i on Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:00 pm

Is it true that Fungo and Ross parted ways? Perhaps they just haven't been working on TP since the Silent Hill franchise has been quiet for a while, and there isn't anything to work with.

I never took them that seriously, but I did find their ideas and thoughts entertaining. It did seem that quite a few times they really seemed to be trying to push their own theories really hard, as if saying a certain thing enough times will make it true. They also seemed to be Team Silent fanatics, so they rarely, if ever, had something good to say about a non-Team Silent made game.

And yea, about the Gillespie fire, I just accept that fact that it was intentional, since the evidence is pretty clear it was. Seems kind of like a dead topic, although it is fun to bring up every now and then.
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.
 
 
 
Next


Return to Silent Hill General Discussion



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests