Forum for all other Silent Hill-related discussion.

DreamDaze000

A loser

Who are the Silent Hill monsters, truly?

Post by DreamDaze000 on Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:02 pm

A long time ago, I heard that the monsters in Silent Hill were all the same; but their appearance and abilities changed due to the people/protagonist there. Apparently, this was explained in the original Silent Hill game. Is this true? I'm not sure where to go to confirm this bit of information.

I apologize if this was discussed before, but as I said, I don't really know how to search for this particular detail.

Xuchilbara

The Red God

Post by Xuchilbara on Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:58 pm

I don't remember that ever being specifically stated.

btw, you put this in the intro section for some reason.
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)

Waverer

A Stray Child.

Post by Waverer on Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:03 pm

I always thought the monsters were sort of spawned by the town once the protagonist arrived.

Gauss

Post by Gauss on Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:36 am

I do not remember this being stated in the original Silent Hill.
There's always a lighthouse, there's always a man, there's always a city

clips7

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Post by clips7 on Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:18 am

The monsters are manifested in a physical form by the main characters mental...the town doesn't have a set of monsters that just live there, they're pulled from the darkest corners of the main character's mind.
Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding....these are the basic fundamentals of life....

If you can't amaze them with brilliance, baffle them with bulls**t...

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:42 am

The monsters are typically just manifestations of either the protagonist's subconscious or, in other cases, of another character's subconscious.

Of course, we also have Vincent's throwaway line to Heather about "they look like monsters to you?" Implying she had been killing people the whole time (but Vincent also spent the majority of SH3 trolling Heather so we can't necessarily take that line literally.)

I like to believe the monsters don't exist, but in the minds of the people seeing them, or in the minds of those creating them.
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.

Borg

Ghost

Post by Borg on Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:01 am

Pretty much what others said.

jam6i wrote:Of course, we also have Vincent's throwaway line to Heather about "they look like monsters to you?" Implying she had been killing people the whole time (but Vincent also spent the majority of SH3 trolling Heather so we can't necessarily take that line literally.)

Yeah, he even says "just kidding" or something like that.

302Resident

Post by 302Resident on Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:12 am

Considering this quote Imagewe can think that the monsters are "something" even though he said he was just kidding
"It's being invaded by The Otherworld. A world of someone's nightmarish delusions come to life." - Harry Mason

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:49 am

I'm pretty sure that was never stated in SH1. In fact it's pretty well-known by now that the monsters in SH1 (as lame as they were) were all spawned versions of things that Alessa herself feared. That doesn't line up with the monsters pre-existing and then taking on different forms for whatever reason.

Lucifer

King of the Snakes

Post by Lucifer on Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:57 am

jam6i wrote:I like to believe the monsters don't exist, but in the minds of the people seeing them, or in the minds of those creating them.

Pretty much this. Laura never sees any monsters.

Xuchilbara

The Red God

Post by Xuchilbara on Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:46 am

But other people have seen them and are killed by them, both Homecoming and SH3 had added an element of danger to this. The monsters exist because they are physically manifested from the otherworld, even if they're based on something from the mind.

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:52 am

Lucifer wrote:
jam6i wrote:I like to believe the monsters don't exist, but in the minds of the people seeing them, or in the minds of those creating them.

She didn't see monsters not because they are manifested from the mind, but because she was never in the Otherworld to begin with.

The way that SH2 showed that people who are in the Otherworld and people who aren't could still interact with each other was a poignant touch.

mikefile

Post by mikefile on Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:05 pm

Monsters come from people's minds, although the games heavily imply that the town itself has some direct influence on them and is able to recycle shit.

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:07 pm

Indeed, like how Alessa's cockroaches appear in SH2 as residue.

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:07 pm

Well, Pyramid Head in Homecoming can also be seen as memory residue from James Sunderland.Perhaps James's manifestations didn't entirely dissipate when he left.

Mayhap James's manifestation summoning powers were so strong, it allowed the town to use them after he left? It would really explain why in Homecoming, Pyramid Head (even though referred to as Bogeyman) still serves the purpose of symbolic executioner.

And when Alex came back, he was able to imprint onto PH certain defining characteristics, like the military knife. After all, James imprinted onto PH the kitchen knife which only appeared after he picked up Angela's knife.

What about the nurses? Can all the separate iterations of the nurses be viewed as extensions of the original nurses manifested by Alessa? ??...?

gothlolilunatic

Shadow Doll

Post by gothlolilunatic on Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:15 pm

Uh, Pyramid Head is still an executioner in Homecoming because PH was originally based on a cult executioner. James manifested it from a painting. It's likely Alex's father (the one who manifested it, since PH doesn't give a crap about Alex) manifested it because he knew about the real executioners, and as such it makes sense for him to use PH in that role.
http://inkedblue.tumblr.com/ <---- author blog
http://authonomy.com/writing-community/profile/c324c2b8-9b3e-4dd5-b7f6-6a896fb9e810/gothlolilunatic/ <----- Authonomy profile
I can believe 6 impossible things before breakfast

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:18 pm

Oh I know he was was a historical figure in the town. I just mean that was his purpose in the games, to be a symbolic guide.

And infrequent rapist.

Kinda like Henry.

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:54 pm

Mayhap James's manifestation summoning powers were so strong, it allowed the town to use them after he left? It would really explain why in Homecoming, Pyramid Head (even though referred to as Bogeyman) still serves the purpose of symbolic executioner.

Well, Pyramid Head is James' subconscious creation. The creature in Homecoming is totally separate and unrelated, despite sharing mostly the same design and behaving in a similar fashion. This confusion could've been entirely avoided if Konami didn't force the devs to take many visual cues from the movie...

In SH2, Pyramid Head's role is to punish James for his past crimes by stalking him, and torturing/executing copies of his wife's doppelganger.

In Homecoming, the Bogeyman appears only to directly execute certain people -- in this case, people who apparently failed to uphold the town's ritual of sacrificing their children. This is why when in the hotel, Alex is watching the Bogeyman slowly make his way through, and the Bogeyman looks and Alex and continues on. He wasn't there for Alex, he was looking for his father. Even though his role is that of executioner, his motives and reason for existing are totally different.

Xuchilbara

The Red God

Post by Xuchilbara on Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:48 pm

NarooN wrote:
Lucifer wrote:

She didn't see monsters not because they are manifested from the mind, but because she was never in the Otherworld to begin with.

The way that SH2 showed that people who are in the Otherworld and people who aren't could still interact with each other was a poignant touch.

Laura has no darkness in her heart and thus doesn't see them. It has nothing to do with the mind.

ÆNEMA

Post by ÆNEMA on Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:02 pm

gothlolilunatic wrote:It's likely Alex's father (the one who manifested it, since PH doesn't give a crap about Alex) manifested it because he knew about the real executioners, and as such it makes sense for him to use PH in that role.
This excuse irritates me mostly because the executioners look nothing like Pyramid Head. The Bogeyman looks like he does because Konami thought it'd be a brilliant move to pull shit from the film because the people in charge of the marketing the series are fucking horrible at their job.
Image PRAY YOUR LIFE WAS JUST A DREAM Ω THE CUT THAT NEVER HEALS

Next

Return to Silent Hill General Discussion