Discussion of official Silent Hill comics + cellphone comics

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Silent Hill: Double Under Dusk

Post by nur_ein_tier on Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:41 pm

Just some pics and info. I wish they'd make a printed version or at least translate it make it available elsewhere.
Double Under Dusk is a cell phone comic written by Hiroyuki Owaku and illustrated by Masahiro Ito. It came out in Japan in 2007. There does not seem to be any plans for a paper release, though some fans have asked Ito about it.

The plot centers around a man named Brian Dawson, who is mourning the death of his son, Ronny. He meets a young woman named Lindsay and they travel together to Silent Hill.

ImageImageImage

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:13 am

I don't know what the hell is going on with that cover, but it sure makes me miss Ito in the game series.

Since this was 2007, it's pretty clear Ito still "has it" and that the series needs him badly for game design.

I really am hoping Ito can come back in the next game, we really need his Bacon-esque style.

The cover reminds me of this famous piece by Bacon:

There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Post by nur_ein_tier on Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:25 am

<3 Bacon.
Since this was 2007, it's pretty clear Ito still "has it" and that the series needs him badly for game design.

Well, Ito's done SH stuff since then (cover art, White Hunter SH0 comic, etc) and he's never stopped posting new Pyramid Head drawings. I think it's just that, since they outsourced to other teams, they are using those team's artists. It would be nice if he worked directly on monster design though, the monster designs have been suffering without him.
ImageImageImage

clips7

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Post by clips7 on Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:46 am

I'm lovin' Ito's artwork...really amazing stuff. And i agree, they really need to let this cat loose on the next SH game in terms of monster design.

If the next team is up to the task of crafting his excellent monster design with equally impressive behavior and mannerisms (this is extremely important as well, unless you want to end up with more boxing matches like origins and downpour) then the next monster designs will be an amazing improvement and a return to form..
Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding....these are the basic fundamentals of life....

If you can't amaze them with brilliance, baffle them with bulls**t...

Borg

Ghost

Post by Borg on Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:17 am

I never really understood the whole "boxing stuff" complaints, especially when I look at some other monsters in the series.

For me Ito is a mixed bag, I think I'm committing some sort of sin by writing this, I don't really find some of his monsters so freaky or that they have impressive mannerisms etc.

Like that thing on the cover for example. It looks weird and that's the only thing it makes me think, it's weird. I don't think I would find it scary or something no matter how creepy the environments, the sounds it makes and it's mannerisms are.

ÆNEMA

Post by ÆNEMA on Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:30 am

Creepy/disturbing has always been the focus of the monster designs, rather than "scary." Or at least, that's how I've perceived it. The monsters are intended to make the player uncomfortable because of their bizarre appearances and behaviors, which fits in with Silent Hill's overall tendency to be more unsettling than outright "frightening."
Image PRAY YOUR LIFE WAS JUST A DREAM Ω THE CUT THAT NEVER HEALS

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Post by nur_ein_tier on Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:30 am

Well, I agree that some are better than others, but that's more than I can say for the monsters in Downpour, where none of them were memorable.
ImageImageImage

Gauss

Post by Gauss on Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:35 am

ÆNEMA wrote:Creepy/disturbing has always been the focus of the monster designs, rather than "scary." Or at least, that's how I've perceived it. The monsters are intended to make the player uncomfortable because of their bizarre appearances and behaviors, which fits in with Silent Hill's overall tendency to be more unsettling than outright "frightening."

Some creatures also share enough human characteristics that they are strange, yet familiar at the same time. This can exacerbate being disturbed and feeling uneasy.
There's always a lighthouse, there's always a man, there's always a city

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Post by nur_ein_tier on Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:57 am

I also agree that I've never found the monsters "scary," just weird and unnerving.
ImageImageImage

Borg

Ghost

Post by Borg on Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:42 am

I guess I used the wrong words, but like the thing on the cover here, I didn't found some monsters creepy, unnerving, disturbing etc. whatever word you want, just weird.

clips7

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Post by clips7 on Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:29 am

Well, this is why i've always stated you can't have great monster design without excellent behavior and mannerisms as well. That design at the top of the page would be ruined, if you ran into and it sprouted arms and try to fight you like those prisoners in Downpour..kicking, blocking, dodging....think about those regenerators in RE4...look at how beautifully they crafted their animations and behavior mannerissms.

Sure they were slow, but when you saw one, you was like "holy s**t ..wtf is that thing"...then you had to use infra-red to kill it..etc....but imagine that creature just running up to you and kicking and blocking your attacks...yup, it would kill any perception or any kind of terror that most folks would have had upon initially seeing it.

That's why i always stress that you cannot just create a good monster design...animations and behavior/mannerissms are just as important and the encounters in origins and downpour have proved why it is so...(to a certain extent Homecoming as well, but i did love the monster designs in that game including the boss designs)...it's troubling that the only time downpour was even creepy or un-nervingly intense, was when the monsters wasn't around...
Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding....these are the basic fundamentals of life....

If you can't amaze them with brilliance, baffle them with bulls**t...

Fur

Post by Fur on Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:40 am

Seeing this is making me miss Ito's art as well I must admit. And I agree with what ÆNEMA said, being around those monsters didn't necessarily make me freak out, was just uncomfortable & unbearable.

Borg

Ghost

Post by Borg on Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:16 am

clips7 wrote:Well, this is why i've always stated you can't have great monster design without excellent behavior and mannerisms as well. That design at the top of the page would be ruined, if you ran into and it sprouted arms and try to fight you like those prisoners in Downpour..kicking, blocking, dodging....think about those regenerators in RE4...look at how beautifully they crafted their animations and behavior mannerissms.

Sure they were slow, but when you saw one, you was like "holy s**t ..wtf is that thing"...then you had to use infra-red to kill it..etc....but imagine that creature just running up to you and kicking and blocking your attacks...yup, it would kill any perception or any kind of terror that most folks would have had upon initially seeing it.

That's why i always stress that you cannot just create a good monster design...animations and behavior/mannerissms are just as important and the encounters in origins and downpour have proved why it is so...(to a certain extent Homecoming as well, but i did love the monster designs in that game including the boss designs)...it's troubling that the only time downpour was even creepy or un-nervingly intense, was when the monsters wasn't around...

Ehh I dunno, creepy mannerisms don't necessarily have to be head twitching, weird walking etc. to me. Look at Micheal Myers, he's human and he doesn't have some special mannerisms, he's just there most of the time and he's super creepy.

But yeah, like I was saying, I didn't found some creatures disturbing, creepy etc., I'm not afraid of them or anything, things like PH, Flesh Lips, Double Head, Pendulum, Gum Head etc. they just look weird and that's all.

However I find Patients (when they're not burping), Puppet Nurses and Doctors, Scarlet, Carrion, Amnion, Twin Victims, Split Head etc. creepy/disturbing.

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:59 am

Since this is now on the topic of "scary vs creepy" I suggest you guys watch this video by Vsauce on what makes things creepy

(Yes, the video contains super creepy images)

This is relevant to SH because it helps explain the difference between what Ito does and what Western developers do (Ito=creepy, Western=in your face jumpscare BOO)

I really hate when this can of worms Ito-debate gets started (cuz it almost always devolves into a flame war).

And some non-ito designs were still creepy (Scarley, Asphyxia, some versions of the raw shocks)

Borg

Ghost

Post by Borg on Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:30 am

I don't think it's fair to say that westerners do "in your face jumpscare BOO" stuff, though, I'm not really sure what you mean.

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:49 am

Maybe I used the wrong term.

Non-Japanese teams (like American developers) tend to lean more towards jump scare tactics and gross outs than unexplainable creep moments.

It's very much a cultural thing. One part of the world has a very introverted sense of horror, whereas America and so forth have very extroverted senses of horror.

So an introverted style results in weirdly shaped figures that can't be figured out, and extroverted style results in loud noises and generic looking enemies that jump out at you.

But...yes I really like the cover and wish there was more information on this thing.

Borg

Ghost

Post by Borg on Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:54 am

The problem is that both japanese and americans do the same things. Both can have strange figures that can't be figured out, loud noises, generic looking enemies, gore etc.

That can be see in both newer and older SH games, as well in stuff like horror movies.

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:01 pm

Both do both styles,but each style is better accomplished and more prolific in certain countries. It's such a widely regarded phenomenon, people understand certain parts of the world specialize in certain types of horror.

With the ability to share media intercontinentally, different countries do borrow some elements from foreign neighbours. But there are specializations. Japan/Asia has a different sense of horror than America.

Borg

Ghost

Post by Borg on Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:59 pm

First time hearing for that, I don't think it depends where you're born. I think that's like saying that if you're born in Germany you're a better composer than people from other countries because Beethoven was German.

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:21 pm

I don't like lumping in various parts of the world or cultures into a bracket like that, at least in terms of films. I'm a decent enthusiast of Asian horror and psychological thriller films, and I've seen a TON of hollywood-style garbage that's not even worth mentioning. What's funny is how a lot of the books and films that SH was based off of were "Western" works which weren't "all up in yo face" jumpscares and whatnot.

Next

Return to Comics