Forum for all other Silent Hill-related discussion.
 
 

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

User avatar

Posts: 6850

Joined: Jan 18, 2006

Takayoshi Sato Article

Post by nur_ein_tier on Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:31 am

reposted from
http://alchemillahospital.net/takayoshi-sato/

Takayoshi Sato studied fine art at Tokyo’s Tama Art University in Japan, receiving a BFA in Oil Painting. He was hired by Konami in 1996, after taking three art tests and 5 interviews. His earliest work with Konami in 1996 was working on numerous animations for Sexy Parodius for the Playstation and Sega Saturn. He then began work on the first Silent Hill game for the Playstation. He worked on characters, environments and the mood of the games as well as helping with the creation of the story. “I tried to depict a town that is desolated, filled with sorrow yet you cannot stop loving it.” It took him 2.5 years to single handedly create all the CGI scenes in the game. He created the higher-res character himself, the environments, all aspects of modeling and texturing, as well as lighting. He said one of his major challenges, besides technical limitations, was creating Caucasian characters. “I really had no Caucasians around me as a reference.”

For Silent Hill 2, he worked on the story line, the game system, and led all the preproduction activities. After working on Silent Hill 2, because of divergences with Konami Japan, he decided to relocate to the US to work on the development of other games. He worked for a few years for Konami of America, working with the staff there to help them to focus on important gameplay features in their games. “I still think that SILENT HILL 1 and 2 represent the best of my work. They have my largest influence. I can do much better now, though.”

“Silent Hill 1 became very successful and I got three awards for it. That allowed me to pursue my own creative vision.”


For GoldenEye: Rogue Agent, he spent 19 months leading the six creative producers in creating the artwork. He hired a team of 70 people and collaborated with many renowned artists. In 2006, he worked as producer on a canceled project for Xbox and PS3, Tiberium.

Since 2006, he has been working with Virtual Heroes Serious Game division in North Carolina as a research associate and art director. He has helped to schedule, plan, and finish more than 20 games in the space of 3 years. He has also designed the characters for Tale of Tales’ independent game, Fatale.

He works in Maya, Lightwave, SoftImage, Photoshop and Zbrush, as well as 3DS Max, Illustrator, and After Effects. He has won many awards over the years for his work in Silent Hill as well as his work on Serious Games. “After all, I came here to serious games in search of new creations. ”
"SH was a great benchmark at that time, but I do not want to create another episode of the game."

sources:
http://www.satoworks.com/
http://tale-of-tales.com/blog/interview ... oshi-sato/
http://coregamer.web.simplesnet.pt/sato.html
http://alchemillahospital.net/another-g ... on-fatale/
http://www.satoworks.com/Fatale.html
http://alchemillahospital.net/interview ... -of-tales/
ImageImageImage
 
 
 
 
 

Naroon

Member

User avatar

Pillman's got a gun!

Posts: 5326

Joined: Mar 29, 2011

Location: United States

Takayoshi Sato Article

Post by Naroon on Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:31 am

He's one of my favorite devs for SH.
Image
 
 
 
 
 

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

User avatar

Posts: 6850

Joined: Jan 18, 2006

Takayoshi Sato Article

Post by nur_ein_tier on Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:39 am

Same.

I am trying to write articles on various of the devs for my site, and because I keep seeing people saying in various places that they've all fallen off the face of the earth, and there is no news about any of them. I attribute this to the idea that many have, that "Team Silent" was forced out of work by Konami and they're all just sitting in their rooms, wishing they'd get to work on an SH title again. The truth is that many have moved on. That's why I added certain quotes to the above: Sato says that SH was great, and it allowed him to move on to doing things he wanted to do. I can't blame them, few people would want to work on the same series for over a decade. Sato started work on SH in like 1996 or so. [/rant]
ImageImageImage
 
 
 
 
 

Agent of God

User avatar

The man in the cardboard box

Posts: 44

Joined: Nov 10, 2010

Takayoshi Sato Article

Post by Agent of God on Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:37 am

Oh, I was waiting for this. Thanks for the great work.

For me it's Toyama & Sato, when I think of the original developers.
Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing.
Image
 
 
 
 
 

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

User avatar

Posts: 6850

Joined: Jan 18, 2006

Takayoshi Sato Article

Post by nur_ein_tier on Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:45 am

Agent of God wrote:Oh, I was waiting for this. Thanks for the great work.

For me it's Toyama & Sato, when I think of the original developers.

You read my mind? Hehe. Nah, it's been saved as a draft for a while, too lazy to finish it. Same for the Ito article.

Thanks.

Yeah, I'm trying to gather infos on everybody to do articles.
ImageImageImage
 
 
 
 
 

The Gentleman

Member

User avatar

Don't try to hurt me with the night

Posts: 1186

Joined: Apr 01, 2011

Location: United Kingdom

Takayoshi Sato Article

Post by The Gentleman on Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:51 am

For me it's Ito. As an amateur student artist myself, his imagination and vision with the art direction of the games just really inspires me.
Image
"Amy Pond, there's something you'd better understand about me because it's important and one day your life may depend on it. I am definitely a mad man with a box!"
 
 
 
 
 

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

User avatar

Posts: 6850

Joined: Jan 18, 2006

Takayoshi Sato Article

Post by nur_ein_tier on Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:20 am

The Gentleman wrote:For me it's Ito. As an amateur student artist myself, his imagination and vision with the art direction of the games just really inspires me.

That's why I wrote one on Ito first. I <3 Ito. Also because he continues to do stuff for the series (and I hope he'll continue to).

Ii haven't quite been following Sato as much but I did accidentally play Fatale. I mean that I played it before I knew he did the character design for it. ^_^
ImageImageImage
 
 
 
 
 

Naroon

Member

User avatar

Pillman's got a gun!

Posts: 5326

Joined: Mar 29, 2011

Location: United States

Takayoshi Sato Article

Post by Naroon on Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:18 am

I know a lot of the dudes and dudettes who worked on SH before just went on to work on other stuff in Konami. Some of them worked on Metal Gear titles, for example. Keiirichiro Toyama was awesome. I heard rumors that he retired after Siren PS3 in 2008, but he's still with SCEJ apparently, because he's listed as working on a new title for the Vita I think.
Image
 
 
 
 
 

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

User avatar

Posts: 6850

Joined: Jan 18, 2006

Takayoshi Sato Article

Post by nur_ein_tier on Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:47 am

NarooN wrote:I know a lot of the dudes and dudettes who worked on SH before just went on to work on other stuff in Konami. Some of them worked on Metal Gear titles, for example. Keiirichiro Toyama was awesome. I heard rumors that he retired after Siren PS3 in 2008, but he's still with SCEJ apparently, because he's listed as working on a new title for the Vita I think.

Yeah, but I mean I'm collecting specific quotes on the matter, whenever possible. A lot of people think they were forced out. I mean, Toyama left of his own free will to work on Siren, Sato wanted to work on different kinds of games and moved to the US. I think a lot of them "left" before Konami even started having other developers in the UK and US do games for them. A lot of people on forums (the ones who do all the "Team Silent" worship) and so on seem to think Konami just up and fired "Team Silent" at some point and they're all just pining away, wishing they'd get rehired to do other SH games, when I really don't believe that to be true. Partly this is because the one dude who worked on SHH says Konami "disbanded" them, which just doesn't ring true to me. I'm just looking for evidence one way or the other.
ImageImageImage
 
 
 
 
 

Naroon

Member

User avatar

Pillman's got a gun!

Posts: 5326

Joined: Mar 29, 2011

Location: United States

Takayoshi Sato Article

Post by Naroon on Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:36 am

Yeah I think that guy most likely either didn't know what he was talking about, or chose poor wording lol. I think a much more likely thing is that Konami essentially stopped it's own internal devs from working on it, in favor of getting external devs to try to "breathe new life" into the series. Since we all know that there was pretty much no such thing as a consistent dev team for the early games, it's impossible that it got disbanded.
Image
 
 
 
 
 

crazyhorse

Member

User avatar

Taco Shack Employee

Posts: 135

Joined: May 23, 2010

Takayoshi Sato Article

Post by crazyhorse on Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:12 pm

Great Sato article. From what I have heard from him, he really seems to understand what makes psychological horror work, and I consider him the heart and soul of Silent Hill 2. Sato's comments about the human heart and how he approached the physical and emotional components of the characters in Silent Hill 2 are impressive. I liked what he had to say about using sex and death in horror to shake the player up. If you are looking for some more quotes, the Silent Hill 2 making of video has some good ones.

In a perfect world, getting Takyoshi Sato, Akira Yamaoka, Masashi Tsuboyama, and Masahiro Ito to make another game together would be incredible.
 
 
 
 
 
 

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

User avatar

Posts: 6850

Joined: Jan 18, 2006

Takayoshi Sato Article

Post by nur_ein_tier on Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:10 am

Sato is just a good guy. Though it'd be cool if he worked on more horror-type games, but I doubt he will. I like his designs. He seems to be all about "serious games" now, which are like simulation and games that teach people stuff. I had to look it up because I'd never heard the term before I read the interview he did with Tale of Tales.

and yeah, what Naroon said. Here's another quote by Sato, also:

"I got enough of budget for SH2 before it started but there were no contract papers. I was approached by executives when SH2 work was being created; they were saying “this is the money as promised”. But the amount was the half of it was promised. So even though the project went very profitable, it was written in red ink. It is rather popular not having contract paper within the same company in Japan and I was aware of its risk. But because SATOWORKS directly reported to Japanese headquarters, we needed to follow the Japanese rule. I found it very difficult following this rule when I was still working in the US office. So I left Konami."

Nobody really does have a lot of good things to say about Konami, it seems. ^_^
ImageImageImage
 
 
 
 
 

samael21walter

Member

Posts: 257

Joined: Jul 19, 2010

Location: United States

Takayoshi Sato Article

Post by samael21walter on Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:15 pm

My respect for the company is lowering even more. Konami seems to have screwed quite a few people. Shame, because Konami has to be one of the most profitable companies. I mean, they have some of the best franchises in history. I also don't think Konami "disbanded" "Team Silent", I just think a lot of the developers went elsewhere and worked on other things. After seeing Silent Hill 4 not be as successful, I think Konami decided to hand the development process to another team outside of Japan to breathe fresh air into the franchise. Sadly, it was all downhill from there.
The strange creatures you see are Creatures.
 
 
 
 
 

Xuchilbara

Moderator

User avatar

The Red God

Posts: 8734

Joined: Feb 21, 2006

Location: United States

Takayoshi Sato Article

Post by Xuchilbara on Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:57 pm

I think the team wanted to move on and were tired of working on SH which they had been doing since 1999. They expressed what kind of games they wanted to work on in interviews in LM. One said he wanted to work on a game that was the opposite of SH3.

Everyone has been blaming Konami but some of the standards that they treated their voice actors for example, I think have been around for years in the business. I think this is the first we heard of it because of the Guy incident. If they were a completely bad corporation people like Mary and Yamaoka wouldn't go back, even if they're contract out.
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)
 
 
 
 
 

samael21walter

Member

Posts: 257

Joined: Jul 19, 2010

Location: United States

Takayoshi Sato Article

Post by samael21walter on Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:10 pm

Yeah, I really don't get why people say Konami "fired" Team Silent and such. No, they had just wanted to move on to other projects. I'm not sure exactly what Konami has or hasn't done, but it seems a few people have been screwed by them, which really puts a dent in their reputation. As for Yamaoka and McGlynn, I'm sure they had been treated nicely. I mean, they kept coming back for games, didn't they? Maybe it's certain people at Konami...idk :/
The strange creatures you see are Creatures.
 
 
 
 
 

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

User avatar

Posts: 6850

Joined: Jan 18, 2006

Takayoshi Sato Article

Post by nur_ein_tier on Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:49 pm

samael21walter wrote:Yeah, I really don't get why people say Konami "fired" Team Silent and such.

They have been saying that more since that Kenzie Lamar person told HD that "Konami disbanded Team Silent," which read kinda like he was saying that if SHH got bad reviews, it was all Konami's fault for firing everybody, rather than the SHH team's for making a lackluster game.
ImageImageImage
 
 
 
 
 

Xuchilbara

Moderator

User avatar

The Red God

Posts: 8734

Joined: Feb 21, 2006

Location: United States

Takayoshi Sato Article

Post by Xuchilbara on Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:57 pm

Do you think there's any truth to this?

Btw I was wondering why no one has heard from the staff who worked on SHH and I wanted to hear their sides. There were positives to Homecoming and negatives, over all the game was not a good Silent Hill game, but it was not a bad game.
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)
 
 
 
 
 

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

User avatar

Posts: 6850

Joined: Jan 18, 2006

Takayoshi Sato Article

Post by nur_ein_tier on Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:17 pm

No idea. I think I tried to contact some but no one ever got back to me. They probably avoid talking to people most of the time because of the negative reactions to the game, I dunno. I didn't think it was a bad game, no, just a bad SH game.
ImageImageImage
 
 
 
 
 

Xuchilbara

Moderator

User avatar

The Red God

Posts: 8734

Joined: Feb 21, 2006

Location: United States

Takayoshi Sato Article

Post by Xuchilbara on Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:01 pm

^Yeah, that's how I feel. I know they're embarrassed, but I'd really like to see interviews and what they think of the reactions.

From Lost Memories, post work SH3:

page 79

Yamaoka is asked whether or not there will be subsequent games in the series,
to which he replies that he simply doesn't know at this point.

To the question, "What would you like to do next?" Shingo Yuri replies that he
would like to work on something that isn't a horror game. Hatakeda says that
he would like to do something along the lines of Half Life 2, and suggests
that it might be possible to do a game of this type in the world of Silent
Hill in which a different otherworld appears before each player. Mizuochi
says that he would like to do something more colorful along the lines of a
game about an American comic book hero, since he feels that the fact that the
protagonists in the Silent Hill series are merely ordinary people is a bit
restricting. Ito says that he'd like to do a game with a science fiction
theme. Owaku says that he's always wanted to work on the kind of game that
could affect or change someone's life. He feels that there are novels and
movies that have had an impact on his own life, but hasn't yet had that sort
of experience with a game.



I think most of the team was ready to move on after 3.
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)
 
 
 
 
 

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

User avatar

Posts: 6850

Joined: Jan 18, 2006

Takayoshi Sato Article

Post by nur_ein_tier on Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:25 am

Xuchilbara wrote:^Yeah, that's how I feel. I know they're embarrassed, but I'd really like to see interviews and what they think of the reactions.

Same. I mean, I didn't hate SHH, it just didn't feel like an SH game to me. I thought it was fun to play, though. I liked many aspects of it.

As for the Team Silent post-SH3 shit, yes, that's what I mean. A lot of people don't seem to realize that it's possible some of then wanted to work on other shit. I seriously think there are fans out there who want to kidnap them and put them in a room full of small cubicles so that they can crank out SH games for all eternity. I think you should at least have some respect for the wishes of the developers, if you claim to like their work so much.

This is why I just posted my article on "Team Silent" even though I think it could've used a bit more research.
ImageImageImage
 
 
 
Next


Return to Silent Hill General Discussion



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests