Forum for all other Silent Hill-related discussion.
 
 

Tainted Dreams

Member

User avatar

Posts: 484

Joined: Sep 28, 2011

Timeline of Silent Hill's History — UPDATED

Post by Tainted Dreams on Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:36 am

Of course, it's not even been mentioned that we see the location of Mary's death and it's certainly not Brookhaven Hospital.

During the videotape that we (finally) get to watch in room 312 of the Lakeview Hotel we are shown the bed in which Mary dies. This bed is the same one which appears after the final boss battle whilst James is talking to Mary about what happened.

The room in which it is located is absolutely, without doubt, not a room from Brookhaven Hospital. If anything, it looks much more like a room within a residential property, more than likely their (James and Mary's) home.

This is purely specualtive but I would imagine that after her leaving hospital she returned home with James and, due to her sickly condition, slept in a separate bed in another room of their home.

Also, as much as she may have wanted to return to Silent Hill, Brookhaven Hospital is exactly that; it's a hospital, not a hotel. Last I heard doctors weren't in the habit of transferring patients simply because they wanted to go back to their vacation spot.

If Mary were to receive care for her shaken mental state (which, I admit, is totally plausible) I imagine that it would have been by means of an assigned counsellor who worked with her during her time in St. Jerome's Hospital and possibly the remainder of her time whilst she was at home. Such a counsellor would likely also have been there to support James upon Mary's eventual death.

Either way, we see the scene of her death first-hand so, again, I find it incredibly difficult to argue the case for her dying in Brookhaven Hospital...
 
 
 
 
 
 

CrazyCatLady

Member

User avatar

Queen of Alien Relations

Posts: 5074

Joined: Sep 05, 2011

Location: United States

Timeline of Silent Hill's History — UPDATED

Post by CrazyCatLady on Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:28 pm

Well, we also have to remember that her death was in a private location. Another reason she couldn't be staying at Brookhaven because that would make James' act of murder impossible. It's a public place. If he killed her in her hospital room everyone would know. Even if there weren't nurses in the room with them, not only are there security cameras in each room, but how do you propose he took her body out? What? He waltzed out through the halls with his wife's dead body in his hands. "Oh, what's up Doc? Ah, this is just Mary. She's dead!" :lol: I don't think so. Even if he left her body the in room, not only could they go back in the cameras to find out how she died, but when they'd find her body, and did an autopsy, they'd know that she was suffocated and there was a struggle. Therefore, she was not at Brookehaven for her death. There's no possible way he'd get away with it. And according to James' father, he was never seen again.

Her death was most likely at their home.
Image
 
 
 
 
 

ÆNEMA

Member

User avatar

Posts: 978

Joined: Sep 29, 2011

Timeline of Silent Hill's History — UPDATED

Post by ÆNEMA on Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:54 pm

Whoa, I'm sensing a little bit of attitude in these posts.
Tainted Dreams wrote:The room in which it is located is absolutely, without doubt, not a room from Brookhaven Hospital. If anything, it looks much more like a room within a residential property, more than likely their (James and Mary's) home.
This is my assumption as well.
I don't myself believe nor have any desire to believe what I typed. The only reason I said anything was purely for speculation & to try to help come up with some other reason Mary may have been in Brookhaven, since the previous explanation also failed to hold up.
Image PRAY YOUR LIFE WAS JUST A DREAM Ω THE CUT THAT NEVER HEALS
 
 
 
 
 

Red_Wings

Member

User avatar

Ampoule Dealer

Posts: 657

Joined: Sep 22, 2012

Location: United States

Timeline of Silent Hill's History — UPDATED

Post by Red_Wings on Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:16 pm

I'd like to know which hospital room was Mary's. If she indeed spent time there I think the game would at least give us a clue that we were in her room. But it didn't. I think that if Mary was at Brookhaven we'd have been shown that, even in a subtle way.
Was it the room Maria laid down in? No way to know.
I don't think she was anywhere near Silent Hill during her final days. One of her defining traits is that she misses Silent Hill so much.
I think she was far from there when she died, James knew she wanted to be there and thus his road trip began.
In regards to this thread I'm in league with what the insightful BULL, Rob and WhiteClaudia have said.
~SP
Image
 
 
 
 
 

CrazyCatLady

Member

User avatar

Queen of Alien Relations

Posts: 5074

Joined: Sep 05, 2011

Location: United States

Timeline of Silent Hill's History — UPDATED

Post by CrazyCatLady on Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:52 pm

Yeah. Even in her letter:

"In my restless dreams,
I see that town. Silent Hill.
You said you'd take me there again some day,
but you never did..."


Why would she say that in the letter if she did spend her last days there?
Image
 
 
 
 
 

Tainted Dreams

Member

User avatar

Posts: 484

Joined: Sep 28, 2011

Timeline of Silent Hill's History — UPDATED

Post by Tainted Dreams on Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:17 pm

BULLWORTHLESS wrote:Whoa, I'm sensing a little bit of attitude in these posts.
Tainted Dreams wrote:The room in which it is located is absolutely, without doubt, not a room from Brookhaven Hospital. If anything, it looks much more like a room within a residential property, more than likely their (James and Mary's) home.
This is my assumption as well.
I don't myself believe nor have any desire to believe what I typed. The only reason I said anything was purely for speculation & to try to help come up with some other reason Mary may have been in Brookhaven, since the previous explanation also failed to hold up.


I hope that it wasn't my post(s) that came across as having an attitude; that really was not my intention whatsoever and so, if it is indeed the case, I offer apologies.

Also, I did notice that you claimed that your previous post was purely speculation and my post wasn't so much in response to yours, but more of an addition to the evidence against Mary having been hospitalised in Silent Hill. :)
 
 
 
 
 
 

ÆNEMA

Member

User avatar

Posts: 978

Joined: Sep 29, 2011

Timeline of Silent Hill's History — UPDATED

Post by ÆNEMA on Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:18 pm

^ It's all good.
WhiteClaudia wrote:Yeah. Even in her letter:

"In my restless dreams,
I see that town. Silent Hill.
You said you'd take me there again some day,
but you never did..."


Why would she say that in the letter if she did spend her last days there?

She then goes on to say that she's alone there, which is curious.
Image PRAY YOUR LIFE WAS JUST A DREAM Ω THE CUT THAT NEVER HEALS
 
 
 
 
 

CrazyCatLady

Member

User avatar

Queen of Alien Relations

Posts: 5074

Joined: Sep 05, 2011

Location: United States

Timeline of Silent Hill's History — UPDATED

Post by CrazyCatLady on Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:21 pm

I think when she says she's alone there now, (her special place) she means figuratively speaking. Now that she's dying (passing away), she can go on to "live" there. Her soul.
Image
 
 
 
 
 

Red_Wings

Member

User avatar

Ampoule Dealer

Posts: 657

Joined: Sep 22, 2012

Location: United States

Timeline of Silent Hill's History — UPDATED

Post by Red_Wings on Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:56 pm

BULLWORTHLESS wrote:She then goes on to say that she's alone there, which is curious.

Hmmm... So as if she felt James was affectively 'gone' towards the end, even though he was with her in person...
Now there is 2% of the part of the Silent Hill portion of my brain wondering if she was in SH during the end...
It's ridiculous, couldn't possibly be true... That's what I keep telling myself.
A dead person can't...
~SP
Image
 
 
 
 
 

ÆNEMA

Member

User avatar

Posts: 978

Joined: Sep 29, 2011

Timeline of Silent Hill's History — UPDATED

Post by ÆNEMA on Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:02 pm

WhiteClaudia wrote:I think when she says she's alone there now, (her special place) she means figuratively speaking. Now that she's dying (passing away), she can go on to "live" there. Her soul.
That's the only way it makes sense.
Image PRAY YOUR LIFE WAS JUST A DREAM Ω THE CUT THAT NEVER HEALS
 
 
 
 
 

Red_Wings

Member

User avatar

Ampoule Dealer

Posts: 657

Joined: Sep 22, 2012

Location: United States

Timeline of Silent Hill's History — UPDATED

Post by Red_Wings on Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:23 pm

^ I agree. Mary was anywhere but the place she loved most.
~SP
Image
 
 
 
 
 

ERROR

Member

User avatar

Posts: 1237

Joined: Nov 21, 2007

Location: #lfk

Timeline of Silent Hill's History — UPDATED

Post by ERROR on Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:29 pm

I'll say it again. Maybe people should familiarize themselves with the theory, because all of this is explained in it.

I once believed this to be false: that it was impossible for Mary Sheperd-Sunderland to have stayed at Brookhaven Hospital for any length. However, upon investigating the game further, years ago, I came to the realization that there was much more purpose to Brookhaven than just another creepy locale.

I, too, assumed Brookhaven was only a hospital for the mentally unstable. Its appearance suggests this—from the padded cells to the secured hallways, to the memorable patients—but something suggests otherwise: the first floor. There’s nothing particularly unsettling about the C-hallway: they’re all normal-sized rooms, with normal beds and normal doors, leading me to believe that the first floor does not cater to the extremely disturbed patients, but more so for general treatment—which the hospital was originally built for (the photo in the Historical Society: “... built in response to a great plague that followed a wave of immigration to this area.”)

Brookhaven Hospital’s security systems are only employed on the second and third floors. To gain access to either main hallway, one must enter a four-digit numbered code, each of which are changed regularly to ensure safety. The three extreme patients encountered in the game—Joseph Barkin, Jack Davis, Joshua Lewis—are only mentioned on the second and third floors: no trace of them or their behavior—their writing, scribbling, or messages—can be found in the C-hallway, suggesting that these three cases, each noted as being violent, are to be kept away from others. Even in Silent Hill 3, patients Leonard Wolfe and Stanley Coleman—both of whom are described as being “violent” (“... becomes very violent when overexcited” and “This has caused violent incidents; use caution”—are roomed in the S-hallway—the third floor. The first floor, however, is entirely different: There’s a garden open to its residents, and even a pool. The rooms are larger in size, and there’s no security code required to enter the C-hallway: It’s a much safer area than the top two floors.

Why, then, would Mary, terminally ill, be sent to a hospital used predominantly for mental health?, rather than somewhere like Alchemella, an all-round general hospital?

Because Mary was mentally ill: She suffered severe depression and wished to die—a very common reason for treatment at such a hospital.

Let’s look at things Mary says, in person & her letters:

- I’m pathetic, weak. Not everyone can be strong.
- I don’t want to cause any more trouble for anyone, but I’m a bother either way. Can it really be such a sin to run instead of fight? ... It may be selfish, but it’s what I want.
- I’m no use to anyone.
- I’ll be dead soon anyway.
- It’d be easier if they’d just kill me.

From the NMHA (the National Mental Health Association), characteristics & signs of a person contemplating suicide are as follows:

- Verbal suicide threats such as, “You’d be better off without me.” or “Maybe I won’t be around.”
- Expressions of hopelessness and helplessness.
- Previous suicide attempts.
- Daring or risk-taking behavior.
- Personality changes.
- Depression.
- Giving away prized possessions.
- Lack of interest in future plans.

In those five statements alone, she makes verbal threats, expresses hopelessness, an extreme change in personality, indicates depression, and has no interest in her future—or even the remote chance of recovering. And that’s even with Laura acting as a salubrious friend that has been suggested to have helped Mary with her illness.

Mary wasn’t always hospitalized at Brookhaven. In actuality, she was there very briefly—one week at the most. For the majority of the time she was ill, she was at another hospital entirely: St. Jerome’s of Ashfield.

Given that James’ father, Frank, owned & operated the South Ashfield Heights Apartments, only a few blocks from St. Jerome’s, it’s safe to assume that the couple lived here in town, near his father & father-in-law. Also of importance is that Mary’s nurse, Rachael/Rachel (hereon referred to simply as Rachel), was employed at St. Jerome’s and lived in the apartments Frank Sunderland owned.

During James & Mary’s trip to Silent Hill, when the videotape at Lakeview Hotel was shot, Mary’s inchoate disease began to develop. After it had progressed further along, it’s evident Mary was hospitalized at St. Jerome’s for treatment. After being diagnosed, her doctor explained to James that the illness was terminal: When asked, How long does she have?, the doctor responds, “Three years at most... Perhaps six months... It’s impossible to say with certainty.”

It’s here that Mary spent an indeterminate amount of time, hospitalized, away from her husband & and cut off from her own life. Two years pass—one year before the events of Silent Hill 2—since her illness is first apparent, and Mary meets and befriends a seven-year-old orphan: Laura. (“I met Mary at the hospital. It was last year.”)

As the illness worsened, her mental health declined as well: she slid further into lethargy & depression and began to believe death to be more propitious to herself and James (“The thing I'm weak to is reality. It's not like just anyone can live strongly.” “It may be selfish but I'd be happy with that.”).

The doctors know that Mary wanted nothing more than to see Silent Hill again, despite James’ absence. The memory of James bringing Mary flowers is, so I believe, one of—if not the—final time James visits Mary at St. Jerome’s—it may even be because of this conversation that the following occurred, but I do believe that this is one of the last times James sees his wife alive.

It became apparent that both Mary’s physical and mental condition was worsening: her illness wasn’t getting any better, and she “struck out at everyone.” The doctors felt that the best thing for her was to grant her wish, and, more importantly, attempt to alleviate her depression—at the very least allow her a modicum of happiness before she passes away. They decide to do both: They transfer her to Brookhaven Hospital. Before she leaves though, she writes a letter to Laura:

When you get this letter I've left to Rachel, I won't be in this hospital anymore. I've gone to a very far and quiet place so I'm sorry that I left without saying anything. I can't come back now but Laura, be happy (take care of yourself). Don't trouble the sisters so much.

Also, you may have hated James and did not go to meet him, he may be brusque (blunt), doesn't smile a lot and a bit short-tempered of a person but really, he's very kind so if anything happens, please help James.

Laura, I loved you like a daughter. If my sickness was curable I felt I would make you into my real daughter.

To Laura's 8th birthday.
Mary.

There are four important parts in this letter: “...I won't be in this hospital anymore,” “I’ve gone to a very far and quiet place...”, “I’m sorry that I left without saying anything,” and, of course, “Happy 8th birthday.”

The last line, preceding what we learn from Laura—that she “turned eight last week”—proves that Mary did not, in fact, die three years ago, but was still alive as recent as seven days ago. In conjunction with the first part of the letter—“I’m far away now”—Mary wasn’t telling Laura that she was dead, rather she was going to that “very far and quiet (beautiful) place” she talked about all the time: Silent Hill. This wasn’t a messaged used to confuse a child in reference to Heaven or an Afterlife, it’s just a message, I’m sorry I didn’t say goodbye, but I’m okay now, where I wanted to be. This is why Laura comes looking for Mary in Silent Hill: she, too, believes she’s alive—and knows that this is where Mary wanted to be more than anything.

Laura: You’re here to find Mary, aren’t you, James? Well… have you?
James: No… Is that why you’re here too?
Laura: She’s here, isn’t she? If you know where she is, tell me! I’m tired of walking.
James: I wish I knew…
Laura: But she said it in her letter…

When Mary was transferred to Brookhaven, she’s, unfortunately, without the familiar faces of St. Jerome’s. So I believe she brought along some things to keep her occupied: teddy bears, the one’s that Laura would always play with, the one’s that Laura loved—and may well have given to Mary; and a diary. It is here that, without the presence of either James or Laura, she begins writing in it, as a way to pass her time—what little of it she has left—, and to document her emotions and her final days.

In this diary, leading up to the days before her death, Mary hasn’t come to grips with her impending death. She apologizes for it, goes so far as to blame herself, but still states she’d rather die now than wait. Yet she’s unable to kill herself.

The days pass. The weather doesn’t change. She finally comes to grips with her illness: she knows she’s going to die; it’s inevitable. Mary blames herself for what has happened to her, and for all that she’s done to James. Mary’s told by the doctors that she has to leave: her health is deteriorating fast and she ought to be home with her husband. She writes her final letter to James, telling him that, despite her illness, her disease, her moods, she is “at my last moment,” that she “want(s) to write and put an end to this.” During her last day at Brookhaven, as she’s writing this letter, the sun begins to shine, and she is told she’s “been released - that [she’s] got to go home.” She writes her final diary entry and leaves it there, for whomever to find. She gives the letter she’s written to James to the nurse, to be given to him when she’s released—presumably because she can’t express her feelings to him in-person, precisely why she writes a letter to begin with.

The diary itself mimics, in tone & content, the letter she’s written to James, which chronologically fits considering they were written right after the other. And, in the diary, on May 11th, the day before she’s released, Mary writes: I wonder if the medicine-soaked me is the real me. When she speaks with James for one of the final times, she tells him: Between the disease and the drugs, I look like a monster, and everything she says makes the audience question whether or not this is the actual Mary, or instead what the disease & drugs has made her become. Even James seems to question it.

When James arrives to pick her up, Mary’s nurse gives James the letter and reads the first page. Whether he takes her home or to an unknown location is up to the audience—I personally believe he takes her somewhere in Silent Hill we’ve never seen before—but wherever it is, he ultimately kills her. He puts the body in the trunk of his car and leaves the area. On the way out of town, he remembers the letter—as much of it as he had read—and creates his delusion: that Mary died three years ago, and that she’s waiting for him in Silent Hill.

He parks at the Overlook, just outside of town; the road is blocked due to construction, and the place is deathly ill—silent, sorry. The game begins here.

There are several other interesting things to note about Brookhaven Hospital. One is on the map James carries—or what isn’t on the map. Brookhaven, as a building, a little purple dot, is present, just south of Heaven’s Night—also on the map. What’s peculiar is that Brookhaven Hospital isn’t named on the map; there’s nothing to indicate that it’s a hospital. According to this theory, the reason Mary states “We promised to go there someday, the two of us, but because of me, it never came true” is because James didn’t come to Brookhaven with Mary, but instead, Mary came alone—thus: they didn’t go together, so not just “the two of us.” And, if that’s the case, could it be that the reason Brookhaven doesn’t show up on the map is because of James’ memory repression?, and that, to him, it was just another building on a map? Heather carries the same map as James, but to her, Brookhaven Hospital is clearly marked. Why, then, would it not be for James?, and James only?

Laura seems to run in there with a purpose; James merely follows. As it turns out, this hospital has more relevance to James’ journey than he realizes—which goes to show that Laura, despite being a snotty, little brat, has a very distinct purpose as well: to lead James along; a Cheshire Cat, if you will. Without her, James would be just as lost as he was when he first strolled into town.

This also implies that Laura had a specific reason for coming to Brookhaven. Mary told Laura in her letter that I won't be in this hospital anymore, which, to a little girl, especially, would imply I’ll be at another hospital. She checks the first one she comes across, and she happens to be correct. There are several indications, even to Laura, that Mary stayed here, and she strikes gold on the first floor, in room C2: the teddy bears. And, along her way, she happens across a letter from Mary, addressed to James, which proves to Laura that she’s here in town—specifically at Brookhaven.

Another interesting thing to note is Maria’s reaction to the [otherside], specifically on the first floor. On any floor, in every other room, Maria acts normally: a blank stare, straight ahead, or at James. The first floor, however, coming off of the elevator, Maria acts noticeably different. (Keep in mind, too, that you never have to take Maria to the first floor, but if you do, you have the chance to see her act—more importantly: react—in a way you can’t see elsewhere.

With her back to James, her face to the wall, it seems there’s something about the first floor she doesn’t want to see or be reminded of. Being an aspect of Mary, replete with her reticent memories, this is a glimpse into the side of Mary that Maria couldn’t prevent from making itself known—same with her outburst in the basement, and how she feels “like it’s up to me to protect her (Laura).”

If this display meant nothing, that the first floor held no significance to Maria, then it wouldn’t have been available at all; she would’ve acted the same as she does coming off of the elevator on any floor. But it’s only this floor. The floor where Laura stops to play with the bears she happens to love—that even Maria knows she loves—and in that very room, in the [otherside], is the sound of glass-smashing. And, of course, it’s well known that sound plays an important & crucial role in determining past events in Silent Hill, and there just so happens to the sound of something glass crashing against the floor. What’s smashing? Perhaps a vase of flowers given to her by James; a vase that afterwards she smashed, because “I don’t deserve any flowers… I’m disgusting.” This, then, is where I believe spent her remaining days at Brookhaven Hospital: Room C2, on the first floor.

Finally: the [otherside] itself. In Silent Hill 2, the [otherside] appears only twice: at Brookhaven Hospital, and the Lakeview Hotel. Why these two places? Why not Woodside/Blue Creek Apartments? We know that the couple didn’t spend any time at the apartments during their vacation—they stayed together at Lakeview Hotel—and we know that James didn’t stay at Brookhaven Hospital, so why did it change if the [otherside]’s presence is because of him? Simply put: It’s not.

Lakeview Hotel reverts to a reflection of its actual self: a burnt-out husk of a building, similar to Nowhere of the previous Silent Hill. Brookhaven Hospital, however, acts differently, and even the shift between what James was experiencing before the shift is a memory of Mary: She’s carted, from the Examination Room, down the hallway, crying out for James, “praying that you’ll come and meet me… while gazing at the unchanging ceiling.” If this scene occurs for absolutely no reason, then it goes entirely against what everyone has said about Silent Hill 2: That everything has importance, nothing is insignificant. This one thirty-second clip, this glimpse into Mary’s life, suggests that there’s more emphasis in Brookhaven Hospital in relation to Mary than people had originally accredited—and they still don’t.

If Team Silent didn’t want people to believe that Mary spent anytime in Brookhaven Hospital, they wouldn’t have left so many clues suggesting it—whether anyone feels they’re blatant or not. The developers could’ve easily made the hospital just another “spooky area.” They didn’t. They included so many “little things” that amount to an overwhelming “big thing” it’s absurd. Personally, these are all very clear indications that Mary stayed here—there is no doubt in my mind—and to think otherwise cheapens the game & its meanings drastically, which clearly shouldn’t be the case. If that is the case, then things such as Mary’s dress in the apartments, lighting James’ way, the recurring television from room 312, the identical door leading to Angela in the apartments’ bedroom & in the Labyrinth, the dead body in the refrigerator and Eddie dying in a refrigerator—all of these things should be overlooked, ignored, avoided, shrugged-off, passed-over, and regarded as meaningless; as just visual fluff.

That, however, is not what Team Silent wanted. They wanted you to look closer.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
 
 
 
 
 

CrazyCatLady

Member

User avatar

Queen of Alien Relations

Posts: 5074

Joined: Sep 05, 2011

Location: United States

Timeline of Silent Hill's History — UPDATED

Post by CrazyCatLady on Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:38 pm

And I will explain this again:

They DO NOT put someone in a terminally ill condition like she was, into a mental hospital.

As I explained, my grandfather was in the SAME EXACT situation as she was. He spent 9 months of his life dying in a hospital from a terminal illness that was incurable. COPD. He showed the exact same signs as she did. He said numerous times to MY FACE and the doctor's faces that he wanted to die. He no longer wished to live and he made it verbally obvious. But they WOULD NEVER put him into a mental hospital. They can't, because of the condition he was in. It's protocol. They are NOT allowed to do that.

Whether Mary was suicidal is neither here nor there. It doesn't matter at this point, because of her illness. She was on her death bed. If they put her into a mental hospital. They could not only be held responsible for her death, but any other injuries that occurred afterwards. They would be taken to court. It would be considered SEVERE neglect on the hospital's part as well.
Image
 
 
 
 
 

ERROR

Member

User avatar

Posts: 1237

Joined: Nov 21, 2007

Location: #lfk

Timeline of Silent Hill's History — UPDATED

Post by ERROR on Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:40 pm

The first floor is clearly different.

And, sorry, but your grandfather isn't everyone.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
 
 
 
 
 

CrazyCatLady

Member

User avatar

Queen of Alien Relations

Posts: 5074

Joined: Sep 05, 2011

Location: United States

Timeline of Silent Hill's History — UPDATED

Post by CrazyCatLady on Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:46 pm

I never said he was. But I'm showing you the fact that hospitals don't do that. They can't. And I have a hard time believing that the hospitals in the midwest are that much more different than all the others across the country. It's not like they just made an exception for my grandfather. Don't see why they would, it;s the same situation. They didn't make any other sorts of exceptions for him.
Image
 
 
 
 
 

PEACETALKER

Member

User avatar

Posts: 1002

Joined: Sep 10, 2012

Timeline of Silent Hill's History — UPDATED

Post by PEACETALKER on Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:38 pm

Could it be possible that Brookhaven had the necessary equipment and staff that it could function as a regular hospital and care for patients while specializing in Mental Health?
From what I recall, had Alessa successfully spread the crest throughout the town, the God would've been obliterated, or warded off. Instead Harry stepped in post-God-birth and murderized the shit out of the God. - NarooN
 
 
 
 
 

ERROR

Member

User avatar

Posts: 1237

Joined: Nov 21, 2007

Location: #lfk

Timeline of Silent Hill's History — UPDATED

Post by ERROR on Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:45 pm

Pretty sure I suggest that in my post, that the first floor is used for general treatment.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
 
 
 
 
 

gothlolilunatic

Member

User avatar

Shadow Doll

Posts: 1699

Joined: Nov 12, 2012

Location: United Kingdom

Timeline of Silent Hill's History — UPDATED

Post by gothlolilunatic on Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:47 pm

Even then, wouldn't moving Mary risk her health? She'd been ill for 3 years, long enough for her condition to probably be pretty bad. I don't think it would be ethical to risk her dying on the way there just because of depression or suicidal intentions. Not to mention, her reactions are perfectly normal, and don't require that level of psychiatric help. It's more likely she'd be moved to a place specializing in terminal illnesses rather than a place for mental health. The terminal illness is more of the pressing issue than her depression, to be honest.
http://inkedblue.tumblr.com/ <---- author blog
http://authonomy.com/writing-community/profile/c324c2b8-9b3e-4dd5-b7f6-6a896fb9e810/gothlolilunatic/ <----- Authonomy profile
I can believe 6 impossible things before breakfast
 
 
 
 
 

Lilith

Moderator

User avatar

Mind of Destructive Taste

Posts: 8633

Joined: Feb 21, 2006

Location: United States

Timeline of Silent Hill's History — UPDATED

Post by Lilith on Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:56 pm

WhiteClaudia wrote:And I will explain this again:

They DO NOT put someone in a terminally ill condition like she was, into a mental hospital.



They did, in fact, used to. I think up until like the 70's. But it surely was not in practice at the time Mary was around.
I cease to exist on the Christmas list
 
 
 
 
 

Tainted Dreams

Member

User avatar

Posts: 484

Joined: Sep 28, 2011

Timeline of Silent Hill's History — UPDATED

Post by Tainted Dreams on Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:37 pm

ERROR wrote:Brookhaven Hospital’s security systems are only employed on the second and third floors [...] The first floor, however, is entirely different: There’s a garden open to its residents, and even a pool. The rooms are larger in size, and there’s no security code required to enter the C-hallway: It’s a much safer area than the top two floors.


I appreciate your point but could it not simply be the case that the reason that there are no security locks on the ground floor doors to the patient wing is simply due to the fact that, whilst they do require psychological assistance, they are not deemed a threat to either themselves or to staff? Not every individual in a mental hospital poses a threat to themselves, other patients or staff and are quite often allowed more freedom than other, more disturbed patients.

Also, if one is to examine the map of Brookhaven Hospital it can be observed that there are no facilities typical of a general hospital present whatsoever; there are examination rooms but not a single operating theatre, ICU or anything else of the sort that one would expect to find in a general hospital. There is not a single one to be seen anywhere.

There is one small piece of evidence that suggests that Brookhaven Hospital performs surgery and that appears in Silent Hill: Downpour. Whilst in the Centennial Building there is a puzzle that involves the rearranging of a number of envelopes in order to reveal a numerical code; in this room there is a radio. If you listen to the radio DJ Ricks mentions a girl requesting a dedication for her brother who has just had his tonsils removed in Brookhaven Hospital.

Now, whilst it suggests that surgical operations are performed at this particular hospital, it must be remembered that a great deal of time has passed between the events of Silent Hill 2 and Silent Hill: Downpour and that, just as Brookhaven Hospital once changed from a general hospital to a psychological hospital, it's entirely possible that it reverted back to serving as a general hospital. This could also explain why, in Silent Hill: Homecoming, it appears that Alchemilla Hospital has changed from being a general hospital to a psychological hospital. I've no idea as to what the reason for such a change could be but it's plausible.

However, I still do not think that Mary spent any time at Brookhaven Hospital.

ERROR wrote:Heather carries the same map as James, but to her, Brookhaven Hospital is clearly marked. Why, then, would it not be for James?, and James only?


Because it was a mistake. Team Silent made mistakes too; one only need look at the architecture of Brookhaven Hospital to notice quite a large one that appeared in both Silent Hill 2 and Silent Hill 3...
 
 
 
 
PreviousNext


Return to Silent Hill General Discussion



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron