Forum for all other Silent Hill-related discussion.

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Silent Hill and Jacob's Ladder

Post by nur_ein_tier on Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:51 pm

Silent Hill 2: James Sunderland, initials “JS.” Similar clothes. We learn that James’ wife died and that’s why he’s in Silent Hill. He carries a photo of her in his wallet.
Jacob’s Ladder: Jacob Singer, initials “JS.” We learn that Jacob’s son died. He carries a photo of him in his wallet (and the photos are very important to him, as evidenced by a scene where his girlfriend disposes of his photos.)
Silent Hill 2: James wakes to find himself strapped to a gurney, going down a nightmarish hallway with grating above him.
Silent Hill 3: There are scenes where Heather scenes Valtiel and some monsters behind metal grating.
Jacob’s Ladder: Jacob finds himself strapped to a gurney, going down a nightmarish hallway with grating above him, where he can see deformed people, wheelchairs, bloody body parts.
Silent Hill 3: Many monsters don’t have eyes.
Jacob’s Ladder: The doctor and some other creatures don’t have eyes.
Silent Hill 2: James was married, but Mary died. He later meets Maria in Silent Hill, a woman who resembles her but with a totally different personality, hair color, clothing style, etc.
Jacob’s Ladder: Jacob and his wife are separated but he ends up finding a girlfriend named Jezebel. She is very much the opposite of his wife.
Silent Hill 2: There are many monsters in frames or boxes.
Jacob’s Ladder: Many monsters are in frames or boxes. They twitch in the same way as many Silent Hill monsters. (This also brings to mind the work of Joel Peter Witkin, who probably influenced the movie.)
Silent Hill 2: James and Maria are chased down a long hallway by Pyramid Head.
Jacob’s Ladder: Jacob is chased down an alley by what appear to be monsters in a car.
Jacob’s Ladder:When being wheeled through the hospital corridor, Jacob sees a bicycle on its side, with the wheel spinning. This reminds him of his dead son, Gabe.
Silent Hill 3: When entering the hospital basement, Heather sees a wheelchair with a wheel spinning. This reminds us of Alessa.

Other:
-Subway: SH3 subway and the Bergen St stop are taken directly from this movie. Jacob also gets down on the tracks and is nearly hit, much like Heather.
-Though not in the final game, the poster in the subway saying "HELL. That's what life can be when you're on drugs..." (I forget the rest and am too lazy to find that part to screencap) is present in the texture files for SH1. (In JL, Jacob was dosed with drugs during the war, and it causes him flashbacks. This could be sort of related to the drug themes in sh1).
-Jezebel has tentacles in one party scene, kind of like Mary boss in sh2. A person on the subway also has tentacles.

ImageImageImage

crazyhorse

Taco Shack Employee

Post by crazyhorse on Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:19 am

Interesting analysis! I like the photo references! Team Silent was very inspired by the world of Jacobs Ladder.

The game seems to take a few cues from Kubrick's The Shining as well. In particular the hotel in Silent Hill 2 is referred to as their "special place" and a "sacred place". The Ullman character in The Shining states the hotel was built over an Indian burial ground.

Silent Hill 2 shares a similar sense of the uncanny as the two films.

Good job!

twistedsynergy

Post by twistedsynergy on Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:54 pm

I still havnt seen this movie but I definately want to check it out!

Mercury

Post by Mercury on Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:25 pm

SH and JL also jump back and forth between different realities and have an air of conspiracy. The scene at the end of JL on the stairs can also be seen as similar to the stair scene at the end of SH2.

You should watch it. I didn't really care for it the first time I saw it, so I need to see it again sometime.
ya fuckin rite

hairymason

Sweet sweet lovin'

Post by hairymason on Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:07 am

Sh 2 has resemblances to Jacob's Ladder, Blue Velvet and Serpent and the Rainbow. Although, all in all Seerpent and the Rainbow is more similar to SH1. Then again, anything psychological is going to resemble SH2.
No more questions! We have Rosemary!

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Post by nur_ein_tier on Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:13 am

Another thing I forgot: The name "Lyne" on the Lyne house key in Blue Creek Apartments refers to Adrian Lyne, director of Jacob's Ladder.
ImageImageImage

Wren

^Perpetual Pepper Potts

Post by Wren on Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:46 am

I watched Jacob's Ladder just because of the Silent Hill tie in. True story.

I liked it on it's own, though, too.

It's nice to see someone break down the similarities. You and Whitney are absolutely epic in your capacity to do this, srsly.
The air of conspiracy that HM mentioned was something I thought only I'd noticed. Maybe that theme is better suited to the first game, too? Either way, it rocks that they gave nods to so many American movies while still keeping the main narrative in the style of Japanese horror.

Reading things like this makes me appreciate this series all over again.

IF ANYTHING GOES WRONG, DESMOND HUME WILL BE MY CONSTANT

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Post by nur_ein_tier on Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:27 am

Yeah, thanks for mentioning that, but I guess I was trying to focus on things I could screencap, and you can't screencap the conspiracies. ^_^ The drifting in and out and from one reality to the next is very reminiscent of certain parts of the games. Makes me wonder where the "HELL" poster was meant to be in SH1, since there is no subway. Jacob passing out and waking up reminds me a lot of stuff with Harry in SH1, but the gurney scene was still very much like that sh2 scene.

I can't remember if I saw the movie or played the game first, I know the movie was like early 90s. My dad rented it on video at some point and raved about it, later I saw it for sale in the video store's used-VHS bin for $2 and bought it.

It's not a capacity to do this, I'd say it's more of a neurosis in my case. heh. I was just going through the end bit on the LM translation on sh chronicle, and I thought I'd re-watch some things and really try to pay attention to possible similarities.

Info from SH chronicle
ImageImageImage

Iron Maiden

Post by Iron Maiden on Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:32 am

I need to watch that film again.

k0n0k0

Marturos

Post by k0n0k0 on Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:48 pm

Iron Maiden wrote:I need to watch that film again.

I know right!

Rain

Post by Rain on Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:03 am

Some of these might be stretching it a bit, but... the hospital scene is going to be obvious to anyone. xD

Wren

^Perpetual Pepper Potts

Post by Wren on Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:19 pm

^Yeah. That, and the way the legless guy in the cage was moving.

IF ANYTHING GOES WRONG, DESMOND HUME WILL BE MY CONSTANT

GreyChild

Lol yeah.

Post by GreyChild on Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:24 pm

I have always wanted to watch this movie, I tried to watch it once before I fell asleep then I never got to see it again...
Be the broken or the breaker. Be the giver or the undertaker.

egosleep

Post by egosleep on Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:52 am

Although I knew of the Jacobs Ladder inspiration, I had never noticed the similarity between Tim Robins character and james, most notable the jacket.

Another movie that is cited as having alot of inspiration on the series is Session 9, which came out in the early 2000's. It has an eerie, lonely wheelchair on the cover that most of you will instantly recognize from silent hill 3, where it was presented almost identically, as an homage to the movie...

Pretty great movie and genuinly scary/atmospheric. And some great cheesy lines from David Carusso (SP?)

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Post by nur_ein_tier on Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:25 am

More images:

Poster in film

Yeah, I didn't make a Session 9 topic because there isn't a lot, it's mostly the one scene in the opening:
session 9
sh3 hilltop center

And some random building inspirations:
Metropol theater in SH1 and Demons
Cut Rite Chainsaws in SH1 and Texas Chainsaw massacre 2

More of these at:
http://alchemillahospital.net/silent-hi ... eferences/
http://alchemillahospital.net/silent-hi ... eferences/
http://alchemillahospital.net/silent-hi ... ue-velvet/
http://alchemillahospital.net/silent-hi ... odorowsky/
ImageImageImage

Deadalux

Post by Deadalux on Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:09 pm

Thanks a lot for the info! Silent Hill series is no totally my number one favorite game series of all time!
***Keep in mind whats important, even if it doesn't come true, at least you became someone who would fight for what they believe in! Much love to you all, everybody***

Sunchaser

~/\_SAQOA_/\~

Post by Sunchaser on Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:47 pm

Not only that but throughout the film there is a being that takes on many forms but is the same being. Its the being that waves at jacob when the train passes, its the being which looks like its got rubber latex plastic over its face in the moving car, its the being in the cage in the hospital, its the doctor that injects that stuff into jacobs forehead.This being is 'always' present when jacobs trips out - or otherworld.. >.>. But if you watch the deleted scenes you find out who it really is!

The silent hill equiverlent of this would be pyramid head and maira.
魔 仇 祟

JaneTheNurse

Complete. Global. Masturbation.

Post by JaneTheNurse on Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:44 pm

I like how when Jacob's Ladder is mimicked in the other games, it's "homage" but when one scene is mimicked in Homecoming, TwinPerfect calls it a "ripoff."

Sunchaser

~/\_SAQOA_/\~

Post by Sunchaser on Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:47 am

JaneTheNurse wrote:I like how when Jacob's Ladder is mimicked in the other games, it's "homage" but when one scene is mimicked in Homecoming, TwinPerfect calls it a "ripoff."

Yeah true that lol. The otherworld, the cages you see around monsters, valtiel. All taken from/homage to jacobs ladder XD.
魔 仇 祟

clips7

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Post by clips7 on Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:30 am

Incredible comparisons people...amazing job!!.... :mrgreen: ...now i really need to watch Jacobs Ladder again...honestly tho, i only ever saw just bits and pieces of it and i never really sat down and watched the film completely....

I knew the SH series was inspired by Jacobs Ladder, but i never really knew it was THIS much,... :D ....they literally took symbols that was in the film, in their game. Still it didn't feel like a hack...whatever they did felt right at home in the series...
Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding....these are the basic fundamentals of life....

If you can't amaze them with brilliance, baffle them with bulls**t...

Next

Return to Silent Hill General Discussion