Forum for all other Silent Hill-related discussion.

Xuchilbara

The Red God

Abandoned or no?

Post by Xuchilbara on Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:42 pm

I just.. The timeline complies that SH2 took place in '94. James says the hotel hasn't changed in 3 years.... So... Silent Hill is not abandoned? :P :? WTF is up with that town?!

Theres also somethings Eddie says that make me think.
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)

ERROR

Abandoned or no?

Post by ERROR on Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:57 pm

Of course it's not. When was it ever suggested that it was?
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Delirium

Head Death Guy

Abandoned or no?

Post by Delirium on Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:34 pm

I always thought that the dilapidated buildings and lack of living folk (save for the loonies), was a bit of a hint.

Songette

Abandoned or no?

Post by Songette on Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:55 pm

Laura sees the town normally (because she has a pure heart of a child), so, a ''normal'' person would see the town normally

Lobsel Vith

Abandoned or no?

Post by Lobsel Vith on Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:44 pm

>>Of course it's not. When was it ever suggested that it was?

Oh, over at this one forum. And then at another place. Then Dan Birlew's SH3 guide suggests it.

(Pause)

ERROR

Abandoned or no?

Post by ERROR on Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:17 pm

Lame and wrong.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Lobsel Vith

Abandoned or no?

Post by Lobsel Vith on Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:43 pm

I was being facetious.

The SH3 guide (by Dan) even suggests that James and Mary visited the town when it was abandoned. Of course we know this to be impossible.

Mercury

Abandoned or no?

Post by Mercury on Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:27 am

Lobsel Vith wrote:The SH3 guide (by Dan) even suggests that James and Mary visited the town when it was abandoned. Of course we know this to be impossible.
What? :lol:

How could they rent a hotel room in an abandoned hotel?

The town isn't abandoned, but the population isn't too big. Tourists still visit when James and Mary do, but the amount that do has declined since '83.

What I'm always wondering is if the town is deserted, then do the people "sucked" into it (the dream worlds) wander idly or just disappear?
ya fuckin rite

Nickq2007

Abandoned or no?

Post by Nickq2007 on Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:30 am

Well from what I guessed the town is just as much of a tourist trap as it has been. What we see in the games are through the eyes of the protagonists, and they happen to be in an alternate reality after some event. For Harry it's after the car crash, James, dunno it's sorta odd there. Heather, After she re enters the mall I assume, and Henry, well whenever the door got chained up.

k0n0k0

Marturos

Abandoned or no?

Post by k0n0k0 on Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:15 pm

And we have that little quote from Vincent when he ask to Heather "they look like monsters to you?"

And in Silent Hill there are monsters so... I think you got what I mean...

I agree, Silent Hill is not abandoned... Even in the start of Silent Hill 3 we can hear people outside when Heather wake up. :?

NightFlutter

Prodigal Son?!

Abandoned or no?

Post by NightFlutter on Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:29 pm

Since when is Dan Birlew the authority on anything relevant in society?
"I've nurtured every sensation man's been inspired to have. I cared about what he wanted and I never judged him. Why? Because I never rejected him. In spite of all his imperfections, I'm a fan of man! I'm a humanist. Maybe the last humanist."

Nickq2007

Abandoned or no?

Post by Nickq2007 on Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:37 pm

k0n0k0 wrote:Even in the start of Silent Hill 3 we can hear people outside when Heather wake up. :?

You're not in Silent Hill at the beginning of the game. You don't get to Silent Hill, in 3 until quite some time later.

Lobsel Vith

Abandoned or no?

Post by Lobsel Vith on Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:24 pm

NightFlutter wrote:Since when is Dan Birlew the authority on anything relevant in society?

You're preaching to the choir.

Xuchilbara

The Red God

Abandoned or no?

Post by Xuchilbara on Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:32 pm

Birlew wrote a good Sh3 guide... when I read it.(which i don't have anymore and I was like 16 when i read it.) But i heard his previous work sucks.

The town is abandoned as been suggested amongst the fans for years. You'd have to be living under a rock not to know it, even Lost Memories addressed it.

The hotel did burn down and the church up past Lakeside Amusement park is said to be abandoned or something. And maybe the Historical society?

Anyway, when Vincent comments about the monsters, hes referring to the cult members that Heather sees as monsters. All the rest are just that, monsters.

k0n0k0 wrote:I agree, Silent Hill is not abandoned... Even in the start of Silent Hill 3 we can hear people outside when Heather wake up. :?

Thats not Silent Hill. Thats Portland. :?

Nickq2007

Abandoned or no?

Post by Nickq2007 on Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:59 pm

Xuchilbara wrote:The town is abandoned as been suggested amongst the fans for years. You'd have to be living under a rock not to know it, even Lost Memories addressed it.

On the contrary, most fans suggest that it's not abandoned. There are hints about the town, in-game, that lean towards the fact that it's still just a normal town. Tourists still go there, people still live there. When we play the games, the areas the protagonists are in are abandoned, broken down, and cut off from the outside world, it's an alternate reality.

k0n0k0

Marturos

Abandoned or no?

Post by k0n0k0 on Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:06 pm

Nickq2007 wrote:
k0n0k0 wrote:Even in the start of Silent Hill 3 we can hear people outside when Heather wake up. :?

You're not in Silent Hill at the beginning of the game. You don't get to Silent Hill, in 3 until quite some time later.

But still... can't Vincent mean all monster? :?

ok forget... my mistake :|

(I really need to play it again...)

Lobsel Vith

Abandoned or no?

Post by Lobsel Vith on Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:07 pm

Xuchilbara wrote:Birlew wrote a good Sh3 guide.

Good? I just got it a few days ago and everything in that guide is either completely wrong. "OH HAY ALESSA CAN TURN DAY INTO NIGHT AND MAKE PEOPLE INSANE" or crap that you can learn by playing the games. "ALESSA WAS BURNED TO BIRTH A GOD"

The town is abandoned as been suggested amongst the fans for years. You'd have to be living under a rock not to know it, even Lost Memories addressed it.

There are also fans who insist that Pyramid Head is the Red God, and Valtiel is the Yellow God, and that Samael is the main God. There are also those who believe that Alessa is evil and the incarnation of Satan.

the church up past Lakeside Amusement park is said to be abandoned or something. And maybe the Historical society?

I call bullcrap on this. Vincent was responsible for rebuilding the church, and bringing it's membership up. Basically, proof or GTFO.

Xuchilbara

The Red God

Abandoned or no?

Post by Xuchilbara on Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:25 pm

Lobsel Vith wrote:
Good? I just got it a few days ago and everything in that guide is either completely wrong. "OH HAY ALESSA CAN TURN DAY INTO NIGHT AND MAKE PEOPLE INSANE" or crap that you can learn by playing the games. "ALESSA WAS BURNED TO BIRTH A GOD"

Now see I remember the night and day part being wrong and the thing about the gangster custom. (He should really say whats theory, adn what isn;t.) I haven't seen the book in years... Furthermore my opinion would prolly be different now.

Wiat.. I thought you didn't have this book?

There are also fans who insist that Pyramid Head is the Red God, and Valtiel is the Yellow God, and that Samael is the main God. There are also those who believe that Alessa is evil and the incarnation of Satan.

Looks like someone fell into Dahlia's word about Samael too literally to believe Alessa is Satan.

I call bullcrap on this. Vincent was responsible for rebuilding the church, and bringing it's membership up. Basically, proof or GTFO.

I think I am assuming this based off some things. It says here:
"After Dahlia's death, there was a period of inactivity in the religious
organization. However, after around ten years had passed it became active
once more. The structure of the organization was adjusted and the number
of adherents rapidly increased. One young priest was behind this
renovation." So it was inactive for sometime and most likely abandoned or if people still traveled there it was sparsely.

Hm. It also says that some parts of the church are in ruins , particurly the final room. Its closed off to the public in some parts and nobody conducts rituals in the ruins there anymore: http://silenthillchronicle.net/XVI.htm

At the very least, sections of the church are abandoned. The sections that are in ruins that is.

Lobsel Vith

Abandoned or no?

Post by Lobsel Vith on Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:37 pm

Wait.. I thought you didn't have this book?

I wrote:I just got it a few days ago and everything in that guide is either completely wrong.

Looks like someone fell into Dahlia's word about Samael too literally to believe Alessa is Satan.

I hope you're not referring to me there.

I think I am assuming this based off some things. It says here:

Yes, but that's saying that the church was once abandoned, not that the church is abandoned. There's a huge difference.

Xuchilbara

The Red God

Abandoned or no?

Post by Xuchilbara on Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:40 pm

Lobsel Vith wrote:
I hope you're not referring to me there.

No. I was refering to your comment about ppl believing Alessa is evil and the incarnation of Satan.

Yes, but that's saying that the church was once abandoned, not that the church is abandoned. There's a huge difference.

True. What are your thoughts about the inactivity of the cult for sometime?

Next

Return to Silent Hill General Discussion