Forum for all other Silent Hill-related discussion.

Xuchilbara

The Red God

The Halo of the sun

Post by Xuchilbara on Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:42 pm

I found this online:Image

Theres some things I disagree with. The one interpetation of a common Neopagan symbol (Neopaganism is never used in Silent Hill.) as representing the moon and feminity "maiden, mother, & crone". This is supposed to correspond with the moon phases and the triple goddess. Well heres several things wrong about it. The symbol is bunched togather, quite unlike the symbol of the triple goddess that is commonly used in Wicca. Its probaly a key for something else. Furthermore, why the hell would a moon symbol appear on something intended for a solar deity and named "halo of the sun"? :| What makes this more questionable is the fact that the triple shit is used in Neopaganism to represent the moon triple goddess, its not common in occult circles.

Lastly the eye thing. It bears a possible resemblence to the "evil eye" wards so commonly used. In case you missed it the evil eye is a common "magical" attack found throughout the Middle east and in Europe. Often times people would wear amulets bearing the eye to reflect it. It is said most often times the evil eye is given when someone is envious of another person. This evil eye causes misfortune to its victims and therefore wearing depictions of an eye, like the eye of Horus is said to reflect it. As per one site:.
In regions where the Evil Eye belief occurs, the All-Seeing Eye is one of many forms of reflective eye charms used as apotropaic talismans against the this danger.
I think this corresponds to the "eye of night" card in Silent Hill 3 and the God.
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)

Lain

The Halo of the sun

Post by Lain on Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:47 pm

Interesting analysis.

When I see The Halo Of The Sun, It makes me want to listen to Octavarium by Dream Theater. :lol:

Floodclaw

The Halo of the sun

Post by Floodclaw on Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:09 pm

When I see the HotS, it makes me want to save. Your analysis interests me though.

Lobsel Vith

The Halo of the sun

Post by Lobsel Vith on Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:23 pm

I've always found it interesting how the Halo of the Sun is supposed to represent the deity.

Although I still can't believe that Alizer is supposed to be a combination of Alessa, Cheryl, and Heather. Way to be redundant!

ERROR

The Halo of the sun

Post by ERROR on Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:42 pm

>I've always found it interesting how the Halo of the Sun is supposed to represent the deity.
Poor wording on the translators part.

wall of death wrote:A better way of putting it might be "the crest represents the deity and is known as the Halo of the Sun."

So, yes, it represents god, but not that god is "the Halo of the Sun."
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Lobsel Vith

The Halo of the sun

Post by Lobsel Vith on Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:57 pm

So, yes, it represents god, but not that god is "the Halo of the Sun."

Where did I say that? I simply said,

I've always found it interesting how the Halo of the Sun is supposed to represent the deity.

Xuchilbara

The Red God

The Halo of the sun

Post by Xuchilbara on Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:08 am

Floodclaw wrote:When I see the HotS, it makes me want to save. Your analysis interests me though.

I'm thinking of getting it as a tatt on my back. I think to myself... "Then I will always have a save point on my back." 8)

Floodclaw

The Halo of the sun

Post by Floodclaw on Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:19 am

It would make an awesome tattoo. I despise tattoos, and the idea of getting this permanently etched onto my skin interests me.

Lain

The Halo of the sun

Post by Lain on Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:27 am

Xuchilbara wrote:
Floodclaw wrote:When I see the HotS, it makes me want to save. Your analysis interests me though.

I'm thinking of getting it as a tatt on my back. I think to myself... "Then I will always have a save point on my back." 8)

Do it. That'd be ridiculously awesome.

ERROR

The Halo of the sun

Post by ERROR on Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:30 am

There are dozens of Silent Hill tattoos, and the Halo of the Sun is probably the most common. I'm also adamantly against Silent Hill tattoos, so I naturally think it looks stupid.

>Where did I say that?
You didn't necessarily say it word-for-word, but because of the wording in the English translation it seems to be a common mistake.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Xuchilbara

The Red God

The Halo of the sun

Post by Xuchilbara on Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:45 am

I've seen a couple. But I'd think the PH would be more popular.

Lobsel Vith

The Halo of the sun

Post by Lobsel Vith on Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:51 am

would a moon symbol appear on something intended for a solar deity and named "halo of the sun"?

It might. I have this weird speculation that if the main god is a sun deity, then there's a chance that one of the other lesser deities could be a moon deity.

There's a certain riddle that goes "There are two sisters and one owes her life in the other; which one, having given birth to the mother, is herself born from the child?"

A: The waning or waxing of the moon.

But you have to admit that it does sound an awful lot like a certain character.

Xuchilbara

The Red God

The Halo of the sun

Post by Xuchilbara on Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:56 am

Yes it does. Just that I find this doubtful. The symbol looks familer, but I am pretty sure its not this Triple Goddess thing. And I know God is not a triple goddess.

Lobsel Vith

The Halo of the sun

Post by Lobsel Vith on Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:26 am

In that case it could represent the triple moon, which in this case would represent Alessa, Cheryl, and Heather.

You didn't necessarily say it word-for-word, but because of the wording in the English translation it seems to be a common mistake.

I'm aware of the of mistake in the English translation, hence why I didn't say, "The Halo of the Sun is the God!!"

Xuchilbara

The Red God

The Halo of the sun

Post by Xuchilbara on Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:52 am

yeah I knew thats what you were pointing to with the moon thing. But I have this feeling the other symbols that appear with it correspond, therefore negating the tripe concept. Unless someone deciphers them and they turn out to be related. its also not a circle. Its an oval. When representing the moon, a oval is never used.

Lobsel Vith

The Halo of the sun

Post by Lobsel Vith on Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:04 am

And last I checked a double circle with a bunch of symbols inside of it is NEVER used to represent a sun deity in real life.

Xuchilbara

The Red God

The Halo of the sun

Post by Xuchilbara on Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:15 pm

Of course not. But thats not what I am saying. The circles were also explained.

I don't think you're understanding my postion at all. The person who wrote that didn't pay attention to detail. This is what I am doing. if I blindly said "oh thats the symbol for the triple moon goddess" with out doing much research on it, would be futile.

The sign on the interpetation that says the bottom symbol is Libra is also wrong. The Libra sign is circilar, the one on the Halo is triangler.

Lets compare:
This is the Libra symbol:

Symbol on the Halo:

Notice the difference. That slight difference causes problems if we are to believe this is Libra.

Triple Moon Goddess symbol:

Symbol on Halo:

Notice the difference, they look like two different symbols. Small details like this when it comes to 'reading' things should not be avoided. After all this is how mistranslations arise if overlooked. its obvious to me now, that this is not the symbol for the moon at all. Another thing that stands out to me is the two ball points on each side of the cresents at the top. That makes it stand out alot.

Lobsel Vith

The Halo of the sun

Post by Lobsel Vith on Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:21 pm

Except there are numerous variations of the triple moon symbol.

The only other explanation is that it's a part of what's known as the "insect runes" Runes which are supposed to resemble insects. However finding meaning to them is hard to find.

Xuchilbara

The Red God

The Halo of the sun

Post by Xuchilbara on Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:26 pm

But not impossible and it would correspond to the other symbols. Theres also a bug looking symbol on there.

Lobsel Vith

The Halo of the sun

Post by Lobsel Vith on Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:48 pm

Not impossible, but severely hard to find. Personally I like the idea of it being the triple moon symbol, because it relates to the three aspects of Alessa, and thus goes with the theme.

Next

Return to Silent Hill General Discussion