Forum for all other Silent Hill-related discussion.

jam6i

What would you like to see in a remake?

Post by jam6i on Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:39 pm

The only ones I feel could a a REmake style update are SH1, Origins and Homecoming. All the others are fine.

I mean maybe SH4 could take a REmake?...

But honestly the thing I'd like most (besides P.T. rerelease and Silent Hills) is a 2nd game in the Bad Ending/Shattered Memories universe. Thing is, in that timeline, Silent Hill wasn't actually proven to *not* be a thing. I'd like to see an alternate universe Silent Hill.
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.

PinentidHead

An old Silent Hill fan old

Post by PinentidHead on Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:51 pm

A SH4 remake will probably work because the loading parts really breaks the gameplay. Also this game needed a better polish... will be more a "make" rather than a remake!

ashatteredmemory

Lost in the snow

Post by ashatteredmemory on Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:04 pm

Hell Descended wrote:*A remake of Silent Hill:
> Removal of tank controls, free camera control.

Strangely enough, I would be completely okay with tank controls and forced camera control. The best example is the alleyway, in which you feel like you're being watched by something weird and malevolent. It just feels perfect imo. And in most other cases, I like bad camera control, it feels extremely unnerving to not know what the hell might be coming up to you. Though in that case, unnerving and annoying are really close to each other :P

Whatever in any SH remake might happen, the thing that annoys me the most in modern games, is the fear of using actual darkness. Even Amnesia, if you didn't use the lamp, you could still see some surroundings. Old SH games just went completely dark. I loved this, and it's something I've been missing in all modern horror games.

No loading screens, however, make radio static only appear the moment you open doors. Homecoming and Downpour spilled the beans, since everytime you were in front of a closed door, you'd know a monster was in there thanks to the radio static.

Soundtracks maintained, or slightly altered, but imo all games soundtracks were practically perfect. SHSM however had a moment where it was obvious tracks were produced, but for some reason couldn't ship decently into the game - I'm looking at you, Forsaken Lullaby.
"I told you, I'm not going back... so you might as well shoot me" - Murphy

mikefile

Post by mikefile on Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:08 am

I personally wouldn't like to see any remake. I don't know if it's just me, but I partly believe that all of those clunky controls, out of context translations and sometimes odd voice acting are what make these games classics.
Yes, it's imperfect, but it fits the atmosphere and that's why we love it.

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Post by Otherworld on Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:30 am

ashatteredmemory wrote:
Hell Descended wrote:*A remake of Silent Hill:
> Removal of tank controls, free camera control.

Strangely enough, I would be completely okay with tank controls and forced camera control. The best example is the alleyway, in which you feel like you're being watched by something weird and malevolent. It just feels perfect imo. And in most other cases, I like bad camera control, it feels extremely unnerving to not know what the hell might be coming up to you. Though in that case, unnerving and annoying are really close to each other :P

Whatever in any SH remake might happen, the thing that annoys me the most in modern games, is the fear of using actual darkness. Even Amnesia, if you didn't use the lamp, you could still see some surroundings. Old SH games just went completely dark. I loved this, and it's something I've been missing in all modern horror games.

No loading screens, however, make radio static only appear the moment you open doors. Homecoming and Downpour spilled the beans, since everytime you were in front of a closed door, you'd know a monster was in there thanks to the radio static.

Soundtracks maintained, or slightly altered, but imo all games soundtracks were practically perfect. SHSM however had a moment where it was obvious tracks were produced, but for some reason couldn't ship decently into the game - I'm looking at you, Forsaken Lullaby.

I agreed with all of this^.

mikefile wrote:I personally wouldn't like to see any remake. I don't know if it's just me, but I partly believe that all of those clunky controls, out of context translations and sometimes odd voice acting are what make these games classics.
Yes, it's imperfect, but it fits the atmosphere and that's why we love it.

Not even if was done in the same manner REMake was done ?

PinentidHead

An old Silent Hill fan old

Post by PinentidHead on Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:13 pm

Oh yeah, the camera angle... Two reasons by the developers: technical limitations (PSone) and the cinematographic aspects - to fit with the narrative, etc.. I don't think Homecoming is a good example, but I think Amnesia has broken this paradigma, you can make or remake a Silent Hill games without those camera angles, since you know what you are doing.

The main problem of making a genuine horror game lately is obtain a immersion from the gamer. Game consoles got to many resources, it is very different when playing SH2 in PS2 that you put the DVD and you were already inside, without pop-ups (your friend is online... you have earned a trophy because you discovered the son of a b* you are...). We have returned to jump scary! When playing Amnesia, I followed the instructions - play alone at night, ear phones and turn off all stuff can disturb you.

But I am confident this is about to change with PS4, don't forget HE is coming back, and HE is bringing his new toys...

Previous

Return to Silent Hill General Discussion