JKristine35

Blu-Ray commentary

Post by JKristine35 on Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:15 am

I just saw the DVD commentary from the director, and wanted to post a few interesting points.

-Gans and Radha Mitchell did not get along. Originally, Radha had refused to take part in Silent Hill, but she later changed her mind due to her most recent film being a flop. This made Gans feel that she wasn't as interested in the movie as she should be.

- Problems cropped up with filming scenes of Radha and Laurie Holden together, due to their different acting styles. Laurie was constantly in character, but Radha needed several takes of each scene to get into character.

- The ending shot is meant to exhibit the melancholy in Chris's soul, as he remains stuck in one place, forever waiting for something that will never come.

- Radha tried to change one of Jodelle Ferland's lines, but Jodelle insisted it remain the same because of the line's Biblical reference.

- The scene of Chris calling the archive company replaced a previously filmed scene in which he goes to a library and looks for references to Silent Hill.

- Dark Alessa's appearance is not based in J Horror, but in ghosts seen in Italian horror movies.

- The scene where Rose sees Dark Alessa scribbling at her desk was meant to show that the darkness comes when Dark Alessa draws on paper. Gans called it "a massacre with crayons".

- Pyramid Head's attack on the door of the closet Rose and Cybil are hiding in is indeed meant to symbolically represent rape. Further, the Creepers pouring through the door represent sperm.

- Gans clears up the ending, saying that Alessa and Sharon "fused" and became one person.

- The hotel scenes were filmed in a real hotel, which was initially considered too dangerous to work in. To get around that, a special glue was applied to the floor to keep the dust from being kicked up into the air, because the dust contained dangerous spores. Because it was an actual abandoned hotel, very few props were used. Most of the set are things that were already in the hotel.

- Gans comments on the relationship between Alessa, Sharon, and Dark Alessa. He specifically states that Dark Alessa is Alessa's dark side and Sharon is her good side. He goes on to say that people who think Dark Alessa is the devil are forcing a Judeo Christian interpretation that she was never supposed to have.

- Alessa's torture scene was supposed to be much grislier, but Gans felt it best to leave things to the imagination, and cut it down substantially.

- Gans says that the pain from her burning transformed Alessa into a "superior being", who uses her powers to punish the people who hurt her.

- Laurie Holden had to go to the hospital while they were filming the fight scene with the cultists due to a severe hand injury inflicted when she punched one of the cultists.

- The church scenes all had to be filmed in a day and a half, so Gans filmed in wide screen to save time.

- Gans hated the scenes with Chris and Gucci. He did everything he could to get the studio to say the film was too long and to cut the scenes out, but they refused. He felt the scenes were useless, and not worth the time onscreen. The only exception was the scene where Chris and Rose meet in different realities in the schoolyard, but he stated that it wasn't worth it to have one good scene, if it meant clogging up the movie with a bunch of boring filler.

- The scene of Alessa ducking as the car passes through her was removed from the final film because Gans was afraid too many people would reach the conclusion that she was a ghost.

- The ashes in the Fog World represent ashes from Hell falling into Purgatory.

- The transformation of the town when the darkness falls is meant to represent a child holding a lighter to a wax doll. Gans says that the "melting" represents Alessa playing with the town as a cruel child plays with a doll.

- The scene of the cultists praying, which then converts into the children praying at the orphanage, was meant to represent Gans's view of "bad" religion versus "good" religion.
Last edited by JKristine35 on Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:12 pm.

Maki

Blu-Ray commentary

Post by Maki on Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:21 am

Thanks again JKristine35, for your devotion and time towards the movie, that was very interesting and insightful to read! ;)

JKristine35

Blu-Ray commentary

Post by JKristine35 on Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:38 am

If you want to buy it, the DVD with the commentary is the French Metropolitan edition. It has two commentary sets; one from Gans and one from the producer and an editor. I have yet to watch the second commentary, but I'll post any insights that come from it when I do. I'm revving to dig into the other special stuff that edition has as well.

TheRedNurse

Blu-Ray commentary

Post by TheRedNurse on Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:20 pm

Oh wow, thank you. I really had no idea about most of these things.
Do you not know that we will judge angels? Do you not know that the saints will judge the world?

fuzzybarnacle

Hillian Since 2005

Blu-Ray commentary

Post by fuzzybarnacle on Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:26 pm

Thanks for posting, this gives me an even greater appreciation for the symbolism in the film. It's refreshing since there's not much in the way of special features for this movie stateside
You cannot contain the fuzzy...

TheRedNurse

Blu-Ray commentary

Post by TheRedNurse on Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:36 pm

JKristine35 wrote:- Gans says that the pain from her burning transformed Alessa into a "superior being", who uses her powers to punish the people who hurt her.

So this means she did not have powers before being burned by the cultists after all?

JKristine35

Blu-Ray commentary

Post by JKristine35 on Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:42 pm

I think he means that Alessa began to use her powers in a god-like way, in essence literally becoming God in the world in which she entrapped the cultists. He never really touches on whether she had powers before the burning or not.

KiramidHead

Little Bamboo

Blu-Ray commentary

Post by KiramidHead on Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:59 am

JKristine35 wrote:I just saw the DVD commentary from the director, and wanted to post a few interesting points.

-Gans and Radha Mitchell did not get along. Originally, Radha had refused to take part in Silent Hill, but she later changed her mind due to her most recent film being a flop. This made Gans feel that she wasn't as interested in the movie as she should be.

That's a new one on me.

- The ending shot is meant to exhibit the melancholy in Chris's soul, as he remains stuck in one place, forever waiting for something that will never come.

I love that interpretation. All these years going "wtf was the bush about" and it turns out to be a rather neat bit of symbolism.

- Radha tried to change one of Jodelle Ferland's lines, but Jodelle insisted it remain the same because of the line's Biblical reference.

Wonder which quote it was...

- Dark Alessa's appearance is not based in J Horror, but in ghosts seen in Italian horror movies.

Makes perfect sense, given Alessa was originally named "Asia" after Dario Argento's daughter.

- The scene where Rose sees Dark Alessa scribbling at her desk was meant to show that the darkness comes when Dark Alessa draws on paper. Gans called it "a massacre with crayons".

Nice.

- Pyramid Head's attack on the door of the closet Rose and Cybil are hiding in is indeed meant to symbolically represent rape. Further, the Creepers pouring through the door represent sperm.

Ah, sexual symbolism. What would SH do without it? :)

- Gans clears up the ending, saying that Alessa and Sharon "fused" and became one person.

Well, now that's settled, at least.

- The hotel scenes were filmed in a real hotel, which was initially considered too dangerous to work in. To get around that, a special glue was applied to the floor to keep the dust from being kicked up into the air, because the dust contained dangerous spores. Because it was an actual abandoned hotel, very few props were used. Most of the set are things that were already in the hotel.

That's pretty cool.

- Alessa's torture scene was supposed to be much grislier, but Gans felt it best to leave things to the imagination, and cut it down substantially.

A good decision, IMO. The scene was just as grisly as it needed to be.

- Gans says that the pain from her burning transformed Alessa into a "superior being", who uses her powers to punish the people who hurt her.

Ia! Ia! Alessa fhtagn! :lol:

- Gans hated the scenes with Chris and Gucci. He did everything he could to get the studio to say the film was too long and to cut the scenes out, but they refused. He felt the scenes were useless, and not worth the time onscreen. The only exception was the scene where Chris and Rose meet in different realities in the schoolyard, but he stated that it wasn't worth it to have one good scene, if it meant clogging up the movie with a bunch of boring filler.

No surprises there. I agree that the scene in the schoolyard was great, but I also loved Gucci, so I got more out of those scenes than most did. Everything from after Chris left SH on down was the worst of that subplot, IMO.

- The ashes in the Fog World represent ashes from Hell falling into Purgatory.

But I thought Hell was below Purgatory... I'm over thinking this, aren't I?

- The transformation of the town when the darkness falls is meant to represent a child holding a lighter to a wax doll. Gans says that the "melting" represents Alessa playing with the town as a cruel child plays with a doll.

Not a bad idea.

- The scene of the cultists praying, which then converts into the children praying at the orphanage, was meant to represent Gans's view of "bad" religion versus "good" religion.

I had thought of this already, but confirmation is pretty sweet.

Damn, all this info makes me wanna watch the movie again.

fuzzybarnacle

Hillian Since 2005

Blu-Ray commentary

Post by fuzzybarnacle on Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:36 am

KiramidHead wrote:No surprises there. I agree that the scene in the schoolyard was great, but I also loved Gucci, so I got more out of those scenes than most did.

All this time I thought I was the only one! I think he's easily the best written character in the film
You cannot contain the fuzzy...

Xuchilbara

The Red God

Blu-Ray commentary

Post by Xuchilbara on Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:46 am

I honestly had no idea that the scene was a symbol of anything. interesting.
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)

KiramidHead

Little Bamboo

Blu-Ray commentary

Post by KiramidHead on Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:16 am

fuzzybarnacle wrote:
KiramidHead wrote:No surprises there. I agree that the scene in the schoolyard was great, but I also loved Gucci, so I got more out of those scenes than most did.

All this time I thought I was the only one! I think he's easily the best written character in the film

It's just too bad he explains the plot ten minutes before Alessa does.

Wren

^Perpetual Pepper Potts

Blu-Ray commentary

Post by Wren on Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:29 am

Purramid_Head wrote:

I honestly had no idea that the scene was a symbol of anything. interesting.

Incredibly interesting.
I'm surprised people haven't gotten pissed about it, tbh. Pleasantly surprised.

IF ANYTHING GOES WRONG, DESMOND HUME WILL BE MY CONSTANT

TheRedNurse

Blu-Ray commentary

Post by TheRedNurse on Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:45 pm

Wren wrote:I'm surprised people haven't gotten pissed about it, tbh. Pleasantly surprised.

I'm sure most people didn't catch it.
Do you not know that we will judge angels? Do you not know that the saints will judge the world?

JKristine35

Blu-Ray commentary

Post by JKristine35 on Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:21 pm

Already some genius on SHF decided that the one scene representing rape means that everything else in the movie also represents rape. He even said that the nurses must represent rape because they're attracted to the flashlight (which he claims is phallic-shaped), and they only move when the light is TURNED ON. Yeah, I rolled my eyes too. :roll:

Xuchilbara

The Red God

Blu-Ray commentary

Post by Xuchilbara on Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:31 pm

TheRedNurse wrote:
Wren wrote:I'm surprised people haven't gotten pissed about it, tbh. Pleasantly surprised.

I'm sure most people didn't catch it.

I wish people gave it a chance. JK has opened up such a new interpretation of it for me that I actually like it much more than I did before.

If you don't mind JK could I spread your wisdom on other forums with you credited?
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)

JKristine35

Blu-Ray commentary

Post by JKristine35 on Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:43 pm

Of course! I love this movie, and I love spreading the word on how good it is! :)

FBX

Blu-Ray commentary

Post by FBX on Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:11 pm

The movie in all reality wasn't that good. We like it for certain things akin to the game series, but when I show it to unbiased horror fans that don't follow the games, they think it's average at best. The plot with the cult lead by Alice Krige comes off as contrived and cliche. So lets not sugar-coat what was otherwise an average horror movie. At least it didn't suck, but by no means was it a "great movie".

JKristine35

Blu-Ray commentary

Post by JKristine35 on Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:24 pm

That's your personal opinion, not a fact everyone must agree with.

Borg

Ghost

Blu-Ray commentary

Post by Borg on Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:58 am

FBX wrote: The plot with the cult lead by Alice Krige comes off as contrived and cliche. So lets not sugar-coat what was otherwise an average horror movie. At least it didn't suck, but by no means was it a "great movie".

Because the cult from the games wasn't cliche and full of one dimensional villains?
I agree with JKristine, only your personal opinion. Just because someone can offer explanations for certain things in the movie that doesn't mean they're not there and that we're just "sugar coating" it.

Wren

^Perpetual Pepper Potts

Blu-Ray commentary

Post by Wren on Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:14 am

Purramid_Head wrote:JK has opened up such a new interpretation of it for me that I actually like it much more than I did before.

Ditto X 1,000.
Considering we already saw Colin separately in Alessa's otherworld, I guess red pyramid would be her embodiment of vile and grotesque masculinity. All muscles and rage and pain. Obviously it was mostly due to Colin, but you know.
Any of this sit right with anyone else? I feel crazy over here. Crazier...

IF ANYTHING GOES WRONG, DESMOND HUME WILL BE MY CONSTANT

Next

Return to Silent Hill (Motion Picture)