AlchemillaHsospital

SH2 or RE4?

Discussions on all other popular horror video game franchises.
Otherworld

SH2 or RE4?

Post by Otherworld »

Most believe that SIlent Hill 2 and Resident Evil 4 are the pinnacle of survival horror.

If that is the case, which do you believe is better?
I'm going to town either way.
firecrest

Re: SH2 or RE4?

Post by firecrest »

Maybe I'm nitpicking, but I have never heard of Silent Hill 2 being referred to as a pinnacle of survival horror. Psychological horror, perhaps.

As a survival horror game, Silent Hill 2's combat was way too easy. You could dodge most of your enemies even in Hard mode. Other games in the series were more challenging in that regard.
Otherworld

Post by Otherworld »

firecrest wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:15 pm Maybe I'm nitpicking, but I have never heard of Silent Hill 2 being referred to as a pinnacle of survival horror. Psychological horror, perhaps.

As a survival horror game, Silent Hill 2's combat was way too easy. You could dodge most of your enemies even in Hard mode. Other games in the series were more challenging in that regard.
Valid point.

In essence, I am just wondering what game would win the day in a choice between them
I'm going to town either way.
Xuchilbara

Post by Xuchilbara »

I didn't like RE4 at launch. I was used to previous entries and I still don't get the hype.

Meanwhile with SH2, it got me into the SH franchise and is a much better quality game. Though terrible in the survival area, it is beautifully crafted in story, symbols, and characters as psychological horror.
"Speak.
I am the Crimson One.
The lies and the mist are
not they, but I.
You all know that I am One.
Yes, and the One is I."
- Me, probably
Norus_Rebirthed

Post by Norus_Rebirthed »

People describe the ease of RE4, but I find the gameplay more frustrating to enjoy the game.
If Silent Hill is a step down from that sort of mechanic, then Silent Hill 2.
May you never become the asshole James became; ;)
Annin_Tofu

Post by Annin_Tofu »

REs 0 up to CVX are more horror than RE4 could ever hope to be. But 4 did reinvent the genre, because it was the game that did away with the fixed camera viewpoint, and was the forerunnner of nearly every title that arrived afterwards. However, 4 still has tank controls just the same...