AlchemillaHsospital

Do you like the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame format?

Discuss the massive world of media entertainment and what it has to offer.
Annin_Tofu

Do you like the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame format?

Post by Annin_Tofu »

In my opinion, it's a bit on the dog shit side, and ought to be changed.

They're inducting skanks, and punk rock bands. FFS. The Sex Pistols? Green Day? What the hell!? :roll:

Depeche Mode deserve to be in, but aren't they more so electro? Very new wavey, truth be told.

Tina Turner should have been inducted YEARS ago, ya fools over there in Cleveland. Way ahead of Madonna, quite frankly.

I'm glad Todd Rundgren is in, but he only had a few hits. I'm sure other bands deserved the honour more.

In 2055, they'll be throwing "singers" like Britney Spears in there as well, no doubt. Or even No Doubt. The group, that is. :D

I don't know. Maybe I'm just being a right grumpy old sod over nothing. But I feel some people that should be in, like Thin Lizzy, are not there, and it's stupid decisions like that, which is unacceptable.

:mira:
rodox_head

Re: Do you like the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame format?

Post by rodox_head »

I think The Monkees deserve to be in there, but I don't hold my breath for that happening. Like Nesmith himself resolved, it's more of a private/business decision for them than a public decision for us. Alice In Chains, Echo & the Bunnymen, The Chameleons, System of A Down; none of them are in there even though I think they've made a substantial impact on the evolution of popular music.
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.
Annin_Tofu

Post by Annin_Tofu »

I love Echo and the Bunnymen. I recommend "Young Manhood" and "Bible Dreams" by the Wild Swans too. :thumbsup:
Norus_Rebirthed

Post by Norus_Rebirthed »

I don't feel it's as the meritocracy they claim it to be. American Rock Journalism hated a lot of UK Prog Rock at the time, so there is that factor.
Be weird if the UK tried a Hall of Fame. But seems inevitable.
rodox_head

Post by rodox_head »

thesaunderschild wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:19 am I love Echo and the Bunnymen. I recommend "Young Manhood" and "Bible Dreams" by the Wild Swans too. :thumbsup:
Great songs :) . The 80s was a real goldmine for alternative music all around. The Sound were another criminally overlooked post-punk group.
Norus_Rebirthed wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:34 pm I don't feel it's as the meritocracy they claim it to be. American Rock Journalism hated a lot of UK Prog Rock at the time, so there is that factor.
Be weird if the UK tried a Hall of Fame. But seems inevitable.
Not to mention how much electronic genres of music have shaped the field of music since the 80s. There would be no "The Downward Spiral" if not for artists like Soft Cell and Gary Numan. Underground genres like House, Techno, DnB, Dubstep have all acted as progressive musical outlets but will largely never have the mainstream appreciation of older rock icons.
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.
Annin_Tofu

Post by Annin_Tofu »

My favourite Soft Cell song is "Torch". :pirate: