Femalic_Head25

A hotter version of Pyramid Head.

My SM experience - Indepth review

Post by Femalic_Head25 on Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:43 am

I've played through this game enough to declare it as my personal second favorite in the series. Although I have already made a post of my experience from my old account, I will go deeper and deeper here.

Storyline: I don't know who wrote it, because I don't read the credits. I was so busy watching the intro, aswell as
REVEAL SPOILER
reading the analyze in the end of the game.
Still, I can assure it's one of the best in the series. I'm pretty sure that I'm one of the many who thought that it was
REVEAL SPOILER
Harry
in the clinic. (On my first playthrough, of course) The game felt totally different when I played it over and over again, knowing the plotwist, and taking everything from Cheryl's perspective. I don't know if you paid attention to that part in particular, but do you remember when Cybil left you in her car near the woods, and then you left the car? If you do, then I'm sure you dialed the PD number written on the car. The conversation between Harry and and the PD Operator showed that
REVEAL SPOILER
Cheryl doesn't want to be helped, nor does she want to believe her father died
because during the call, the PD Operator asks Harry about his location, Harry replies with a "Why?", and the operator says that she just wants to help, as Harry says a "No". Think about it. During my second playthrough, I thought this part was brilliant. Anyways, and in overall, I think SM's storyline was genius, and had no flaws.

Graphics: Let's be original. We're speaking about the game in general, therefore we should talk about the first version of it, which is the PSP one. The graphics were amazing in every meaning of the word. Sometimes, I'd just leave my companions, and explore the town freely. I enjoyed exploring the town in this game more than any other. I loved the Toluca Mall location, aswell as Alchemilla Hospital.

Gameplay: At first, I was like: "2nd person? I'm done with this crap." But, after getting the hang of it, and getting familliarized with the looks of the town from that perspective, I actually liked it more that the other 3rd person games.
As for the marathon running sequences, ew. Just ew. It was what ruined the game, and what made it worse were the Raw Shocks. Seriously?! Just one type of creatures?!! WHY?!!! Of course, after playing for a while you'll understand that the Raw Shocks had symbolism. But in both cases, they could've added atleast two more kind of creatures. Not to mention that the looks of the Raw Shocks change, depending on your personality in-game. As for the puzzles, they were okay. I won't get too deep in the puzzles subject, because they weren't too bad, and not too good.

Controls: Faulty. Just faulty. You had to use the arrows to choose icons on the phone, whereas the analog is used to move 360 degrees horizontally, while you couldn't look vertically. Also, sometimes when you're turning around while running away from monsters, Harry would just stop running and walk around, with around 7 creepy skin-colored assholes following you around. Kinky! (More like rubbish)

Overall: A brilliant game, ruined by the worst controls, and the boring gameplay. Just don't say it didn't feel like a SH game just because of its flaws, and for not being a Konami-exclusive release. It had potential.
My overall rating would be 7.9/10. I believe it's fair enough. Hopefully I didn't miss a thing.
I lust for blood, killing, cutting, and for Pyramid Head.

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Post by Otherworld on Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:18 pm

Nice to see you enjoyed SM ! Sam Barlow was the writer I believe.

I noticed you never mentioned what platform you played the game on. It was originally released as a Nintendo Wii game. It ran at 720P and looked very good on the console. That is why you may have had some trouble with the controls, as they were set up to be motion controls.

I really enjoyed this game as well. Some of the best endings I have ever seen.

Femalic_Head25

Post by Femalic_Head25 on Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:38 am

Otherworld wrote:Nice to see you enjoyed SM ! Sam Barlow was the writer I believe.

I noticed you never mentioned what platform you played the game on. It was originally released as a Nintendo Wii game. It ran at 720P and looked very good on the console. That is why you may have had some trouble with the controls, as they were set up to be motion controls.

I really enjoyed this game as well. Some of the best endings I have ever seen.

Sam Barlow? All I know about him is that he's a genius.

Really?! I thought it was originally released for the PSP. Not to mention that I've played it on the PS2, which looked awful there. I'm happy to know that it ran at 720p. I would love to try it there, especially with motion controls.

Do you know the Sleeze and Sirens ending? It is my favorite. I litterally cried when Harry said "Forget me." It was touching and sad. Also resembles that Cheryl chose to forget her father, unlike the other endings, where she chose to keep her memory of him.

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:07 pm

You may be mixing up endings. Harry tells Cheryl to forget him in the Bearer of Guilt ending and then he freezes.

I think they are all pretty good.

Femalic_Head25

Post by Femalic_Head25 on Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:42 pm

Otherworld wrote:You may be mixing up endings. Harry tells Cheryl to forget him in the Bearer of Guilt ending and then he freezes.

I think they are all pretty good.

I've looked up this 'Bearer of Guilt' ending, and there's no such ending with that name!

Here's a video showing all endings, including the UFO:

(I don't own the channel)

In the description are the name of the endings, in order of their appearance in the video. There's no such thing as 'Bearer of Guilt'. Is it from another game?
Last edited by Femalic_Head25 on Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:51 am.

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:09 pm

This is the ending I mentioned.

Femalic_Head25

Post by Femalic_Head25 on Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:02 am

Oh right! Through browsing the SM Wikia, I found out that the Bearer of Guilt ending is quite hard to get. You have to get a certain combination in the 'Guilty ---> Not guilty' therapy session, alongside having both sexual and drunken personalities beforehand. Probably explains why it wasn't in the 'All endings' video. Not to mention that there's another ending where Harry says "Forget me." in.

Here's the Wikia, incase you're interested: http://silenthill.wikia.com/wiki/Silent_Hill:_Shattered_Memories

Return to Silent Hill: Shattered Memories