nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Jesus blows up balloons all day

SHSM vs. SH Cold Heart comparison

Post by nur_ein_tier on Sun May 17, 2015 8:32 pm

More in-depth comparison of the pitch document and the final game.

Transcript:
REVEAL SPOILER
In both Cold Heart and Shattered Memories, certain aspects of the game changed based on your “psychological profile.” This included character clothing, dialogue, and parts of your surroundings. Both would incorporate your actions, your therapy sessions, and even items you look at in the game. In Cold Heart, however, you would have been able to view your psych profile at any time, and even share it with your friends over the internet. It also planned to use other aspects to enhance realism and surprise the player, like using actual local weather info and news it would get over the internet through the Wii. The Wii’s Mii avatars may have also been used to influence things like hair color.

Jessica Chambers is an athletic college student who’s grow more and more dependent on her therapist as of late. She’s having nightmares and decides to go visit her parents, but ends up “caught in a ferocious snowstorm” in Silent Hill instead.

There are flashbacks to therapy sessions, much like in Shattered Memories. Jessica talks to Dr. Fairchild rather than Dr. Kaufmann, but some of the sessions seem to have similar content. Dr. Kaufmann makes us color in a picture of a couple in front of a house; Dr. Fairchild would have asked the player to draw a house using the Wiimote. The colors used and time taken would have contributed to the psych profile. He asks if we were an only child, were we closer to our father or mother, were we our parents’ favorite child. Dr. Fairchild also asks about fears, such as drowning or being buried alive. There are inkblots in the guidebook, and references to talking about abstract pictures.

Jessica would have had a flashlight, like Harry in Shattered Memories, but many of the similarities end there. When Harry has his flashlight on in the nightmare parts, the raw shocks have an easier time following him and attacking, just like in many other games in the series. When Jessica aims a flashlight at an enemy, it would flee from the light, or even be harmed by the light. The flashlight could be used to melt ice, and there were different types of flashlights, like infrared, polarized, and UV. These could be used to find hidden objects or solve puzzles. Both use their phones in the game.

Harry has no weapons in the nightmare chase sequences. His only real option is to run. He can knock over things to slow down enemies however, and this is something Jessica could also do. Jessica was able to use improvised weapons from the environment, had breakable weapons, and could do “violent finishing moves.”

Harry only lost health in chase sequences, based on how many times he’d been grabbed by raw shocks. If he managed to get away and not be attacked for a while, his health would improve on its own. Jessica’s health system was much more complex. You could track Jessica’s body heat, and presumably if it got below a certain level, she would die. Snow and cold would sap her energy and lower her body temperature.

Jessica also had a limited inventory, perhaps to contrast with the very unlimited inventory the Travis had in origins. Jessica can put things in her pockets and carries a backpack. Harry, on the other hand, mainly picks up mementos that the game tells us has no real value. Unlike Harry, Jessica’s health didn’t improve automatically. However, instead of the health drinks and medipacks used in earlier games, she would scavenge to find foods and drinks from her surroundings. She could find Silent Hill branded candy bars, packaged food, cans and bottles of drinks, and could make use of a hydrating backpack. She could also find more clothing to use as an upgrade for more protection against the cold. These could all restore health, stamina, and body temperature to varying degrees. Harry, on the other hand, doesn’t find new clothes during gameplay, but his clothing can change based on the psych profile.

In Cold Heart and Shattered Memories, the Wiimote was used to twist and manipulate objects. This was seen in Shattered Memories in puzzles like the playground beer can puzzle. Jessica was also able to use a metal detector to solve puzzles, and a twisted piece of wire to fish for a key in the sewers.

There were not supposed to be any loading times in Cold Heart. Important parts of the game took place on a frozen lake, where Jessica was immersed while the water froze and trapped her. She met a mysterious man and also went to a boat. Harry also went to the boat, but with young Dahlia. Jessica finds a pipe that she takes from the boat to fight enemies, and then is stabbed in the stomach by a young girl with a knife.

Overall, a lot of aspects in the Cold Heart pitch document were used in Shattered Memories. Most notably, the fighting, health system, and the limited inventory were removed. I think it would have been interesting to have another young female protagonist, since a lot of games featured men of similar ages. I think Cold Heart could have been a very interesting game, but I was also pleased with Shattered Memories. Still, it is interesting to imagine what could have been with this title.

http://alchemillahospital.net/silent-hi ... -memories/

My fake Cold Heart cover can be downloaded here: http://alchemillahospital.net/printable-documents/

Sources:
http://www.silenthillmemories.net/sh_sh ... rts_en.htm
http://www.silenthillparadise.com/news/ ... nt-in-full
https://www.facebook.com/climaxstudios?fref=ts
ImageImage

Parvatii

Mind of Destructive Taste

Post by Parvatii on Sun May 17, 2015 10:02 pm

When my name was on that booklet you gave me for my Birthday I didn't realize they really meant to name her Jessica. I thought you modified it for me!

The name Jessica did appear in my game in SHSM, I took a picture.

Some of the stuff sounds awesome, like lower body temp. The light hurting the monsters sounds too much like Alan Wake and another game whose name I can't remember. I wonder if that's why they removed it.

I really like her design and I'd love more female protags.
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Post by nur_ein_tier on Sun May 17, 2015 10:06 pm

Yeah, I made a few so I slipped one in there. =) I had them printed mainly so I could make a video but it took me forever.

See, there could've been a silent hill char with your name. =[
ImageImage

Parvatii

Mind of Destructive Taste

Post by Parvatii on Sun May 17, 2015 10:10 pm

It would've been epic. At least you have that ghost girl in BFAW.
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Post by nur_ein_tier on Sun May 17, 2015 10:13 pm

lol, yeah I had forgotten about Amy Baldwin!
ImageImage

Return to Silent Hill: Shattered Memories